Sign in to follow this  
BogFrog

Bike shop rant

I believe in supporting local business. A lot. I have been known to pay more, knowing the money is going to a small business or a local business. Yesterday afternoon I went to buy myself a new pair of padded cycling gloves. The first shop I went to was closed (3pm), the second shop I went to had 3 women's gloves, which were of questionable quality and not padded. But they had 10 men's gloves, 2 of which were appropriately padded. The next shop had 1 pair of women's gloves which were crap and had 5 pairs of men's gloves, 2 which were well padded.

I am fed up of trying to find women's gear in bike shops. I have given up and will no longer try. I went home and went online to a well known online store that may or may not rhyme with piggle. So not only have the shops lost a $50 sale on gloves but while I was online, I decided to get a heap of spares and other gear. $320 sale lost. </rant>

Oh, obligatory hashtag: #womenridetoo

• Like 1

You could still buy other stuff that's not gender specific at the lbs.

I think you've missed the point about the post in general. Yes she could've bought the other stuff from the LBS but given that they couldn't even stock female gloves then why do they deserve the sale of the other $270 odd dollars spent on other gear.

• Like 2

Sorry I don't agree. Women, wrongly, are the minority in our sports. At racing today we had 171 men and 3 women.

It is a mum and dad shop why cater to the minority ?

How big is the gluten free section of Coles ? It's all about scalability.

Yes, there are more male than female riders, but 171 vs 3 is not representative. I don't race bikes apart from triathlon, but i ride twice a week at least - i.e. I reckon a higher percentage of male riders race that women riders. And just because there aren't as many of us, doesn't mean that we don't deserve to be catered for. The gear exists out there - when they make e.g. gloves, they often make the same, but smaller for women. Just stock it in your shops. I they don't make it, then they are losing sales.

Oh, and btw. While I was online, I also bought stuff for my husband who rides.

Edit to add: And the chicken and egg theory comes into this also...

Edited by BogFrog

Disagree. If I have to invest in stock for my shop i will invest in what sells. Sorry but women's gear doesn't sell. Ask Clarence st and their specific women's shop....

I spent a week in Bright in January, and saw almost as many women riding as men. Also lots of women riding in Adelaide. There are now far more women riding than there were men riding 10years ago, but back then it wasn't hard to buy men's cycle clothing, so the "it won't sell" argument doesn't really stack up. (apart from the obvious point that it won't sell if not availablable). But i can see that the situation has already been clearly mansplained to you, so get back in your box! :-)

• Like 3

Have a chat to Jo at http://www.velorose.com.au/ she sells womens kit online, but they also appear at some of the races now, so you can try stuff on. I don't see any gloves there, but I am sure she might be able to help out.

I would be buying, but the inseams are too short for me (its tough enough wearing lycra, I don't have the legs for show!) I'm forced into mens kit for that reason.

Edited by MissJess

Most bike shops stock limited supply of stuff that can easily be brought online, like clothing. They will order stuff in for you, just be prepared to wait.

As Trek points out, carrying slow moving stock costs money which hurts when you are paying high rent and competing against online traders.

Edited by Naut

Yes, size is the only issue re gloves. Men's small is too big. There was no XS. Rest of kit would be shape.

Trek52, what Wardy said. It may not sell for a while, but it will eventually. And you may get a name as a "holds women's gear" shop. Fashion/latest models etc doesnt really matter that much so you can hold the same stock for ages. By not having the stock there you are driving women online. I've now given up and I am the biggest supporter of buying in store (we are kicking ourselves in the foot by trying things in shops and then going online to get a cheaper price blah blah blah). As I explained, it's not just the women's stock you are losing the sales on, but the other stuff you pick up when in store... I've been to Clarence street women's specific shop and tbh, it was pretty crap. Very little stock, over-priced etc. I still bought a jacket there...

MissJess, but I'd just be buying online again...

• Like 1

Roeckl are the only cycle glove manufacturer that offer the full range of glove sizes and quality manufacturing. S M L is too random and most have inadequate gel and no way of getting the damned things off your fingers. Mine are 7.5, and they fit like a .......glove.

MissJess, but I'd just be buying online again...

That's fine, she is located in Sydney, and she is a small business :) If you get onto the Velo Rose Facebook I think she tells you what race she is at next with the stock, so you can try it all on.

• Like 1

Why should a business have to tie up capital and cash flow in items that may not sell for ages? Why should any item be any different from anywhere else, if it doesn't sell regular for reason A or reason B? If you can wait for the item to be delivered from online, why could you not wait for the store to get the stock in? Was the store going to take longer?

The store didn't even stock them - it's not as if they ran out of my size and would order them in for me. The quality of what was available was poor, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't sell.

And why should they stock slow moving items? For the very reason I have described above - Not only have they lost a $50 sale, but I have spend $280 online that I would ordinarily have bought from the store.

Edited by BogFrog
  • Like 1

The store didn't even stock them - it's not as if they ran out of my size and would order them in for me. The quality of what was available was poor, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't sell.

And why should they stock slow moving items? For the very reason I have described above - Not only have they lost a $50 sale, but I have spend $280 online that I would ordinarily have bought from the store.

I totally hear what you're saying, and am ""lucky in that all the gear I have is mens, as womens gear usually doesn't fit me well.

But, we do have a distinct lack of shops and options here full stop. I end up having to buy a lot of gear online as the "shops"just don't stock a lot. HOWEVER, if they do stock it or will get it in for me, I will buy that stuff locally. And only buy online what i can't get (or they won't get), or is just too ludicrously expensive that they just do themselves a disservice.

Why should a business have to tie up capital and cash flow in items that may not sell for ages? Why should any item be any different from anywhere else, if it doesn't sell regular for reason A or reason B? If you can wait for the item to be delivered from online, why could you not wait for the store to get the stock in? Was the store going to take longer?

Just as long as those business owners don't moan about us buying our stuff on line. I buy rarely from the LBS for a number of reasons:

1. They don't stock anything for tall people

2. They generally know nothing about what they sell

3. They are arrogant

4. They are expensive

If I can buy retail on line from people who hold inventory or who can get it just in time. All it does is show that the LBS are thinking small. Nothing to stop them from making their LBS a global bike shop then they too can get the benefits of scale.

I feel your pain!

Men's gloves are just the wrong fit for women, or at least this one. I find the difference is that men have thicker hands so when I try on men's gloves if I get the finger length correct the glove is too baggy, if I get it to fit my palm snugly then the fingers are too short.

I hate that we don't have a good LBS available for women's kit. We actually don't have great access to many brands that the US have either which is infuriating too. I understand the position that a retailer may be in with stocking gear but I don't think it is a good enough reason not to stock gear. Why not have a flagship store as well as an online store to buy stock? Retail in general need to rethink their game plan.

I wonder how many of the LBS's know their market and understand potential growing areas of the market that they can capitalise on?!?

People on here have commented that there are less females (particularly in formal crits, TT's and other events), but, atleast where I live, the amount of ladies getting into cycling in incredible at the moment.

My cycling group has about 20 regulars (with maybe 6-8 turning up for each ride, but there are often 4-5 rides a week). 5 years ago there would have been no women, now we are about 50:50. All the ladies are getting their friends involved and one of the local stores is even running 'ladies only' bunch rides.

its now very common to see small groups of mainly women out riding or at coffee shops after, and all the bike clubs are really focussed on attracting the whole family (so the kids and mums and partners are now actively invited to join in).

There are a lot of chicks riding bikes, and there are more every day, which seems somewhat different to a few years ago.

Perhaps the old adage that 'womens stuff doesn't sell' is changing, and maybe shops aren't keeping up with that??

There are a lot of reasons people turn to online - and I guess if stores don't stock what you want (be that ladies stuff, tall stuff, stuff for short people, or whatever) then people will simply go elsewhere.

(note: I try to support my local bike stores when I can)

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

If I have to invest in stock for my shop i will invest in what sells. Sorry but women's gear doesn't sell

^ yup I agree.

I'll buy from my LBS where the price difference isn't too bad. It does piss me off though when you can buy a helmet for $150 online and they're trying to flog it for $400... I understand they have overheads, but when stuff is 3 or 4 times the price it is online then that's just taking the piss.

• Like 1