tortoise

Photography

I was first trained with film. Did the whole darkroom processing developing myself. Think it msde me appreciate the skill more.  Certainly made me aware of any **** ups by printing my own work. Digital is so lazy, the most incompetent photographer can get a result.

• Like 1

....... hence how this thread started!

I still have an LPL colour head enlarger, and I think a colour analyser or something tucked in the rafters of my shed.  Bought the enlarger as a gift for my wife; fell pregnant before she got to use it and then everything went digital.  Pretty much a paperweight now that we couldn't even sell.

Film is making a comeback goughy, I'm noticing a definite increase in supply of film with some of the old types going back into production (last magazine I bought was talking about Fuji bringing back some type of chrome film and rumours another company was going to bring back one of their old types as well due to rising demand), also seeing on second hand sites well maintained slrs are getting some good prices.  I have a 20+ year old Pentax Z70 I was going to sell (around 600 shots at the most put through it) but hanging onto it now, you might want to do the same with the enlarger

• Like 1

I couldn't help posting about this today.  My bil is still doing his wedding photography, and getting plenty of work.  He's just joined some Facebook group of wedding photographers, and posted up a couple of his photos, one with the wedding party running from some Empire AT-AT Walkers which are shooting at them, and another with the wedding party running from dinosaurs........

And for some stupid reason, as embarrassed as I am for him posting them there (and on his own FB page), I reckon he'll actually get work from those shots.....

Bugger what I think Ex!  Hell, I even love her website address!  I showed Rob and she just loved her work!  Her portraiture was stunning, the wedding photos outstanding.  And the only way to describe the nudes are that she really knows how to paint with light.  Rob absolutely loved those!

One of the architecture pics, Rob thinks if its in Brisbane then she's taken a very similar shot of the same building.  I'm a fan of abstract architecture pics (changing cityscapes are my phone background).

She should be very proud.  Rob was really impressed and very jealous.  We used our points to get her a Canon 80d a few months ago but she hasn't been up to taking any photos.  Here's hoping that inspired her.

The last bridal party pic I saw by my bil on FB had stormtroopers in it (and they weren't in attendance at the wedding).  Rob shouldn't have encouraged him to get Photoshop and Lightroom.....

Edited by goughy

17 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Goughy,

What do you think of this work, it's my niece's? I'm untrained, but to me it doesn't look too bad?

https://www.ecologist-with-a-camera.com/

Mr T, the photographic judge, agrees. So do I.  The portraiture is the least consistent in the portfolio, but that’s often driven by client taste not photographic merit  

Thanks everyone for the words above. Just a little family brag here. Kate's going back to the Galapagos working on her Honours, thanks to sponsorship from National Geographic. Great to see them getting behind young graduates of Animal Ecology.

• Like 2

Sounds like it'll suck! Shouldn't even bother taking her camera!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

Sounds like it'll suck! Shouldn't even bother taking her camera!

I told her she should take her uncle.

So she has another uncle she's taking then?

So I'm at the point where I want to get a program to be able to do things with my photo, mostly to be able to put a logo on them before posting on instagram etc, but longer term may look at things like stringing photos together, focus stacking etc.  I'm not interested in subscription based programs, but rather one that I can pay a one off fee to use as I need.

Any recommendations?  Anyone used Affinity Photo in the past?

I can ask the Mrs if she's got any ideas when she gets up.  Obviously she uses Adobe stuff, but she makes up lots of alphas and backgrounds etc for digital scrapbookers so she may know what others are using that's friendly.  When I was using Ubuntu I used a free open source program called GIMP.  I think you can get it for most platforms, have a gander.

Also, what do you want to be able to do this on?  Laptop/PC, phone, tablet?

Google photos had a reasonable amount of editing stuff, as does Google Snapseed, at least for on mobile devices.  Haven't looked what Photos can do on a PC.

18 minutes ago, goughy said:

Also, what do you want to be able to do this on?  Laptop/PC, phone, tablet?

Will be on my home desktop, will be able to upgrade the components on it as required if I really get into it that way cheaper.

I had a bit of a play with GIMP a while ago but didn't really find it was for me, maybe it was because it was my old worn out PC on a very slow internet, but really didn't rate it or any of the free ones that much

Ok, first name she mentioned was GIMP :) .  Maybe take another gander at it as she said it is a good Photoshop replacement.  Maybe Photoshop Elements??  She thinks that's what her brother is using for his wedding work.  Or maybe an older 2nd hand version of Photoshop from before the subscription only releases.  

She said there may be other programs out there, but she doesn't know them.  She thinks you should give GIMP another go, though she says it will have a steep a learning curve like Photoshop.  At least it's free so you don't have to outlay anything if you don't like it.

• Like 1

slightly straying, but related - if some gumby had a bit of spare cash, what's a good entry level type camera/lens combo at the moment?

depends on the money said gumpy has / is prepared to pay

I'd be waiting for end of financial year deals at present, but either Canon or Nikon will have some sort of deal.  Not sure what the equivalent in Canon is as I shoot Nikon but a D3400 will come with something like a 55 - 140mm lens which will be a start.  Look around and you might find a pack with a 70 - 300mm lens to go with it.  All up somewhere in the $600 - $900 range for new.  The lens aren't top of the range in these packages but with care will do you well before you decide to get right into it.  There are other brands but most will be higher in price for entry level or have limited lens range if you look to upgrade.

I started out with a second hand one when getting back into it, found an old one with a basic lens and got started, after a year made the move to a new body (D7100) which I got at a good price when the D7200 replacing it was being launched.  

2 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

All up somewhere in the $600 - $900 range for new.

Something around there would be fine.

It will mostly be if we go somewhere for a walk or to watch an event.