downesy68

Solutions to problems that don't exist

Automatic car hatchback closers.

Never have I thought "Closing that hatchback was too hard. I wish I could just press a button and have it close automatically".

Got any others?

Never have I thought "Closing that hatchback was too hard. I wish I could just press a button and have it close automatically".

Obviously you don't work in marketing otherwise you'd know that there is a whole demographic who won't buy a hatchback because they think the hatch is too hard to close.

I certainly was surprised just how many people didn't want to buy my lancer hatchback because they though the hatch was too hard to close.

I get the reverse parking thing. I don't far it, but I know people who have never done one since their test.

I had a customer with a hatchback who was so short she had a special stick made so she could reach the open hatch to close it. She couldn't jump and reach it.

I was doing the online dating thing for a bit & 1 of the Q's for your profile was 'What are you good at?' You'd be surprised at the number of ladies that list parallel parking as an answer, like it's the exception to the rule.

Active fee.

Remote control for the CD player in your car.

As an Active customer I disagree with your first one.

I didn't even know you could get a remote control for a car CD player.

This thread was prompted by a link my nephew put on Facebook for a product. Even after clicking the link I still had no idea what it actually was.

https://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker-wifi

Got any others?

Hey my Rangey has that!

Hey my Rangey has that!

Capitalist!

Too good to close a damn hatch yourself? Why don't you get your butler to do it for you [emoji14]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Capitalist!

Too good to close a damn hatch yourself? Why don't you get your butler to do it for you [emoji14]

She doesn't understand English....

• Like 1

Seriously though, you're obviously someone that has a fair choice when it comes to buying a car. Have you ever wished you could have that option on a car prior to the last few years? Did it influence your purchase?

Seriously though, you're obviously someone that has a fair choice when it comes to buying a car. Have you ever wished you could have that option on a car prior to the last few years? Did it influence your purchase?

It honestly is a useless addition to the car. Sometimes it doesn't latch in. So you have to get out and close it manually. Pointless really.

Certainly wasn't an influence in the purchase!

• Like 1

Daylight Led Lights

I have to disagree on that one. Just this morning I was stopped from stepping out in front of a big SUV by it's daylight LEDs. It was very early in the morning and the driver didn't have the main headlights on. I wouldn't have seen it except for the daylight LEDs. I guess the same thing would apply to early evening, especially to those clowns who drive out of parking lots with their lights turned off.

Remote control for the CD player in your car.

I've got a remote for mine. Has its uses. Last time we went camping for a birthday bash (aka 4 day long party a long way away from anybody who might complain the noise) , we just opened the back door of the 4WD and turned the music on. Didn't need to leave my spot by the fire to turn the volume up or down as requested.

Only problem is that it won't change the USB drive to one that the kids havn't put their doof-doof music on. :(

Edited by -- AJ --

A little off topic bmw m3 when the door opens the window opens a bit so it closes properly without the internal back pressure then closes the window.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

siri. It is great technology, but i don't know many people that use it. I have a theory that in Australia we are a bit more level headed and introverted than talking to our phone, like its our friend. I reckon in the USA, they would use it more.

siri. It is great technology, but i don't know many people that use it. I have a theory that in Australia we are a bit more level headed and introverted than talking to our phone, like its our friend. I reckon in the USA, they would use it more.

I use Siri all the time in the car. Find parking, send and receive texts, make calls...

• Like 1

A lot of the voice activation technology is redundant. There are certain applications where it's valuable (eg our warehouse staff pick all our orders using voice technology) but most of it is gimmickry where it is quicker and easier to use more traditional methods.

I reckon in the USA, they would use it more.

I think part of it is when it forst came out Yanks got almost full service.

Aussies got "Sorry, I don't know ......." for most things, so adoption was slowed.

A lot of the voice activation technology is redundant. There are certain applications where it's valuable (eg our warehouse staff pick all our orders using voice technology) but most of it is gimmickry where it is quicker and easier to use more traditional methods.

I remember one night at 1am, using the voice recognition in the car. I asked it to call "home", and it responded with "calling Neil's home". Neil was my boss, who I'd imagine didn't want to be called at 1am. I had to pull over & stop the car to stop the call, as the phone was in a bag under a lot of stuff on the back seat.

Good article. I'm not a woman but I feel she absolutely nailed it.

I see that the app has a 'share' function, presumably to post your results to Facebook, Reddit & Twitter... as you would.

I'm disappointed it lacks a configuration panel so can also post to your IoT Fridge, Washing-Machine & Toaster, as this would seem an obvious need.

• Like 1

CES is full of these types of answers every year...

What about the fridge camera, so you can see what is in your fridge without opening the door? There is also a single passenger Quad copter that can fly a person somewhere... for 23 minutes(in perfectly calm conditions, as long as they only weigh less than 70kgs). It only costs as much as a normal helicopter too!

In the past CES has shown us amazing 3D TVs that will be in ever home... Never. This year it might be "Wireless Charging" that wins the prize of biggest waste of time and money. Just place your gadget right here for... 4 hours and it will get half a charge, yay!

Or what about the "Smart" washing machines... Seriously, how have we survived without our home appliances being able to access the Internet, just think of all the benefits like... Oh look, It has a touch screen!

Garmins Google Glass attempt is CES also, a crash waiting to happen maybe?

Voice recognition is still too hit and miss IMO, I don't think anyone has ever demonstrated to me, on the spot, how well it works. When I ask people to demonstrate it always fails to work on the first attempt while they carefully hold the phone and usually press a button to wake up/activate it or need to repeat what they said... I had to disable my hands free car kit because it randomly thought I was talking to it and asked me to repeat it.

Yeah, until I can talk to a device like I do to other humans I am not likely to be impressed with voice recognition. Even gesture recognition is not accurate enough to be genuinely useful for controlling things. Getting computers to see, hear and understand the world like humans do is very, very hard.

In my apartment building we hear a soothing female voice in the lifts tell us "please stand clear of the closing doors". Phew I've nearly been caught out before if not for her. Personally I think each apartment should get the chance on a roster basis to choose a voice and message when you get in the lift.

Personally I think each apartment should get the chance on a roster basis to choose a voice and message when you get in the lift.

I could have a alot of fun with that.

In my apartment building we hear a soothing female voice in the lifts tell us "please stand clear of the closing doors".

Actually... it's all too common in my building that people stand in the lift holding the open-door button, while someone runs back to their unit to get something they forgot. The lift alarm screams for the next 5mins because Jack/Jill can't find their mobile, or whatever, and the idiot holding the lift is too selfish to get out and let it go. There should be a voice message: "HEY, A*HOLE! - STOP PRESSING THAT BUTTON AND GET THE F* OUT OF THE LIFT!"