Sign in to follow this  
M & M

Plantar fasciitis and a boot

I have severe plantar fasciitis in my right foot at the insertion point near the heel. Tipping point was running the 10km in a team at Noosa. Since then I cannot even put weight on the right heel or even flex/rotate my foot without discomfort/pain. Physio initially thought it was a stress fracture. I've had an MRI and there's 5mm+ of swelling with some minor oedema in the achilles.

Have tried everything including ice, NSAIDs, taping, heel cups, strassburg sock, stretching etc. except for a non-weight bearing boot and cortisone. It's been 6 weeks and no improvement. Podiatrist thinks I'll end up in a boot for sure. Have a sports doc appointment on the 22nd with Mark Young.

Anyone had any experience/success with a boot for plantar fasciitis?

I had it as well and f me it hurt! I just kept running/walking/stretching through the pain and it eventually went away.

Not sure if this was the right thing to do though.

I was once told that its other sourrounding muscles in your legs that attach to your heel that can cause the problem. Buy strengthening them it can make the issue less painful.

• Like 1

Last time I did mine I reckon it was 6 weeks until I could weight bare comfortably. Took a year to heal, mainly because I kept trying to come back early.

• Like 1

Im currently wearing a boot during the day for the same issue to avoid light duties at work. It seems to be helping but my PF has been hanging around for 8 weeks. Have an appointment on Friday to see what the damage is

Does if feel like a bruise in the soft tissue of the heel pad? Kinda tight and painful if you squeeze your heel and hurts when you're driving the car ie. applying light force to the accelerator if it's the right foot? Not sharp exactly but a dull ache that's worst directly after the run and eases with ice?

Does if feel like a bruise in the soft tissue of the heel pad? Kinda tight and painful if you squeeze your heel and hurts when you're driving the car ie. applying light force to the accelerator if it's the right foot? Not sharp exactly but a dull ache that's worst directly after the run and eases with ice?

It hurts to do almost everything. It's a constant pain when weight bearing and it aches when not weight bearing. At the end of the day the ache intensity is worse as is the first few steps when getting up. When I rotate or flex my foot the pain is sharper. Ice doesn't seem to help.

Edited by M & M

I feel for you. I had many days when I had to literally crawl from the bed to the shower. Wasn't too bad once I was up and moving.

This was back in pre triathlon days and the thing that fixed it for me was Orthaheel inserts in my work shoes. Took about a week and the pain subsided.

I just needed a bit of arch support for my terribly flat feet. Even now I can't go without shoes for too long. Had a couple of hours of barefoot bowls the other night and I suffered badly the next day. Do you have flat feet?

I'd been running in altras when I got mine and in the end the only thing that really solved it was to go back to my old asics shoes with the arch support. Wore them all day everyday and a few weeks later was much better. So a bit like downsey.

I feel for you. I had many days when I had to literally crawl from the bed to the shower. Wasn't too bad once I was up and moving.

This was back in pre triathlon days and the thing that fixed it for me was Orthaheel inserts in my work shoes. Took about a week and the pain subsided.

I just needed a bit of arch support for my terribly flat feet. Even now I can't go without shoes for too long. Had a couple of hours of barefoot bowls the other night and I suffered badly the next day. Do you have flat feet?

I have the opposite - super high arches.

I have quite a high pain threshold so what feels like a dull ache to me is probably quite painful for someone else.

Have tried orthotics over time but it actually is creating more problems such as hot feet etc. The podiatrist is of the thinking that we need to reduce/eliminate the inflammation before trying again.

• Like 1

I have this at the moment. Kept running on it as it would warm up then ran some trails and hills and couldn't walk for three days. I reckon I had the dull ache customer talks of for 5 or 6 years but when it became full blown, is simply unbearable.

Mine has been going for months and with work havnt had time to have it checked out up until about two / three months back. Finally went and saw a mate who is a podiatrist.... He reduced it when I saw him but it would come back. He gave me some choices which was sports quack or physio. Again with work being what work is, just didn't have time... About two weeks back started the Physio treatment at Cronulla and doing shockwave therapy on it. It has improved and am three visits in with the next on Thursday where they will make a decision to cease or continue. They do a maximum of 8 sessions and as said cease after 4 if no improvement.

It seemed the least invasive with a high degree of success and little risk compared to other treatments.

I have the opposite - super high arches.

I have quite a high pain threshold so what feels like a dull ache to me is probably quite painful for someone else.

Have tried orthotics over time but it actually is creating more problems such as hot feet etc. The podiatrist is of the thinking that we need to reduce/eliminate the inflammation before trying again.

Bugger.

Hope they sort it out for you as quickly as possible.

I know you'd made great progress with your running this year. Make sure you stick with the bike to keep your fitness up.

I have this at the moment. Kept running on it as it would warm up then ran some trails and hills and couldn't walk for three days. I reckon I had the dull ache customer talks of for 5 or 6 years but when it became full blown, is simply unbearable.

Mine has been going for months and with work havnt had time to have it checked out up until about two / three months back. Finally went and saw a mate who is a podiatrist.... He reduced it when I saw him but it would come back. He gave me some choices which was sports quack or physio. Again with work being what work is, just didn't have time... About two weeks back started the Physio treatment at Cronulla and doing shockwave therapy on it. It has improved and am three visits in with the next on Thursday where they will make a decision to cease or continue. They do a maximum of 8 sessions and as said cease after 4 if no improvement.

It seemed the least invasive with a high degree of success and little risk compared to other treatments.

Let me know how you go with this.

Bugger.

Hope they sort it out for you as quickly as possible.

I know you'd made great progress with your running this year. Make sure you stick with the bike to keep your fitness up.

Thanks Downesy. Have increased the cycling and have just started giving track a go. It's a good distraction until I can get a workable solution for my stupid foot. :)