Kamal2

Ten Questions with Bored@Work.

David Norton. Why were you chosen for 10 Q's?

Firstly you did get back to me earlier but we didn't click immediately. Then your wife wanted you to do it, but we didn't click immediately there either. Recently we exchanged a few PM's and what I noticed was......a lot of Ironman's, in several different countries. Always with the family and always considering their needs. In short a human interest story, could be of interest to others. Less talented, but able to get to the line in 15 Ironman's is an accomplishment in itself.

INTRO QUESTIONS.

1. David Norton, who are you? Give us a brief CV, where do you live and where were you born. Occupation. Marital status. Anything else that helps us know who you are?

2. You did not have much of a sports background. Did you do anything earlier which gave an indication you might do a triathlon one day? You did your first Ironman in 2005? How about your first event? Triathlon or multisport event like duathlon. Talk about the background to you first event and how it evolved to an Ironman. Stop it there, and now move to Ten Questions.

TEN QUESTIONS.

1. You did your first IM in 2005. Tell us about that.

2. Since 2005, 15 IM's, all the Aussie race, plus overseas. Would you list by each race here. By country. If you averaged about 1-2 races a year, that's an incredible amount of training time. How do you fit that in?

3. That's with the family 100% of the time. They obviously get some nice holidays, but in other ways how to they cope with the races? You told me they have been involved as volunteers. Talk about that.

4. Our AUD, Aussie Dollar makes comparisons tricky. Is it cheaper racing in other countries if you discount the airfare and accom? In the USA for example. If you were working and living there.

5. David. You cite an IM PB of 11:49. The would be MOP or back end of middle. And you cite times that would be more BOP. So at age 38, are you going forward? Or happy where you are?

6. Lets break down a few of your better times. A 1:07 swim is about median average. Bike of around 5:30 is quite good. Backed up by a run time of around 5 hours. Since you do work with an online coach, does she address any of that?

7. And speaking of coaches, who are you working with currently?

8. Mate, Adelaide seems to have dropped off the triathlon map. I'm thinking they once had an Aussie IM qualifier? What events do they have currently and do you do them.?

9. You did talk earlier about being a former 120 kg heavy drinker, but you turned it around. Yet you still have mates in that category. Since you are still friends, have you had any impact on them?

10. Since you did post recently that your daughter and wife both want bikes this Christmas. (yes you may mention now, how many bikes you have). Mention now you goals for the immediate future, and because you are a family unit, how about family goals also for 2016 and beyond.

Thanks mate, hope you will expand the answers and let it flow as have other participants.

Edited by Kamal2

Thanks Kamal2 - I have been on the couch with man flu for almost a week now so this is perfect timing to pass the day away. I was sick the last time when my wife suggested doing the 10 questions to pass the day away (she reads Trannies)

1. David Norton, who are you? Give us a brief CV, where do you live and where were you born. Occupation. Marital status. Anything else that helps us know who you are?

Born & raised in the Northern Suburbs of Adelaide, married (meet in high school) with one child.

Started working as a store man the day after I left school. I was happy making enough money for beer & junk food. After 7 years I finally got bored being a "box packer" & decided to start trying to build a career. Since then I have worked in purchasing, maintenance coordination, facilities management, contractor management, ILS Analyst and currently working a 12month secondment as a Quality Engineer. I'm not sure what I will be doing when that ends. They have filled my old position with two full timers which is scary but that's o.k I'm looking forward & not back. I'm hoping to move into our Mission Success team or bids & proposals, I'm playing the game & going to see what happens. If it all turns to shit I will take a redundancy & move on. We have a small mortgage & no other debts so we can take the risk & see what happens.

2. You did not have much of a sports background. Did you do anything earlier which gave an indication you might do a triathlon one day? You did your first Ironman in 2005? How about your first event? Triathlon or multisport event like duathlon. Talk about the background to you first event and how it evolved to an Ironman. Stop it there, and now move to Ten Questions.

No sporting back ground at all. I played football for half a season before getting kicked off the team. The coach was selling dope to the players & I refused to buy any. When I told the club, I got benched & the rest of the team turned on me. Dad offered to sign me up to another team or talk to the club but I was over it. I then tried playing again when I was 19 but didn't really enjoy it so I quit. I played mixed netball for a few seasons in high school but lost interest once I stared dating my wife. I tried surfing for a while but I was too fat & didn't enjoy it.

I had no idea I would ever race a triathlon, I knew it was swimming, riding & running but that was it. I didn't know what order they were in.

After years of drinking & junk food I was 120kg & always getting sick. The Doctor told me I was the most unfit 24year old he had ever seen, border line alcoholic, obese, high blood pressure with family history of diabetes & heart disease. He said I needed to do something otherwise I would be in serious trouble before I turned 30.

He wanted me swimming but there was no way I was going to the pool at 120kg I had stretch marks & no confidence. We settled on riding but I didn't have a bike, so I did nothing for a long time.

I decided to get married & didn't want to look fat in our wedding photo's. I got a bike & started riding, my first ride was home from the store & I had to stop at my parents & have a sleep after 12km.

I lost 20kg for our wedding but then I lost my reason to train & started to put the weight back on. The LBS guy mentioned Saturday bunch rides & coffee so I started doing those, I got dropped every week for 6 months, my goal was to stay on as long as possible. One day at the coffee shop he mentioned he was doing Ironman Foster. I thought Ironman was the surf life saving thing until I googled it, reading a race report I found myself getting emotional & decided I wanted to race an Ironman.

I rocked up at the local tri club for a running session at 107kg & said "Hi I'm going to do an Ironman & thought I better join a club" (years later I found out everyone almost burst out laughing & they were positive I would only do the one session)

I started grinding away at the training and entered my first race, a mini triathlon at West Lakes. I was on the start line with a bunch of kids (9 & 10 years old). Those little buggers smashed me, It was embarrassing, I was still over weight & had no confidence. I kept training & a few months later I stepped up to challenge distance & finished the last olympic distance of the season. 18months after I joined the tri club I was on the start line at Ironman Busselton for my first IM.

• Like 2

1. You did your first IM in 2005. Tell us about that.

One on the most emotional days of my life. I was scared shitless, snappy, irritable & moody. It had been a huge journey just getting to the start line & I thought I was going to fail. I kissed my wife a daughter goodbye & burst into tears. Everyone knew I was racing IM & I was so scared of failure. My wife had supported me for over 12 months & I thought I was going to let her down.

The gun went off & 10min into the swim I couldn't figure out why I was swallowing so much water (I was smiling & relaxed) I finished the swim & the clock showed 1:18 which was a lot quicker then I thought (the clock had stopped & I actually swam a 1:34 lol) I got on the bike & it was easy I was passing ppl all the time. Feeling a million dollars I decided Ironman was easy & pushed harder on the last lap. Got off the bike in 5:50 smiling like an idiot thinking I would run a 4:15 marathon & go sub 12 in my first IM.

I ran out of T2 like an idiot & 2km down the road I was in the gutter, cramping and unable to run. The next 40km was a running & walking death march just trying to get to the line. I ended up with a 5:48 marathon & 13:13 finish. The plan was to stop & give my girls a kiss in the finish chute but once I saw the line I just started running & balling my eyes out.

2. Since 2005, 15 IM's, all the Aussie race, plus overseas. Would you list by each race here. By country. It you averaged about 1-2 races a year, that's an incredible amount of training time. How do you fit that in?

It's not that many overseas races when you list them.

4 x Busselton

4 x Port Mac

2 x Melbourne (probably shouldn't count one as the swim was cut short)

1 x Cairns

Cozumel in Mexico

Lake Tahoe - USA

Louisville in the USA

Ironman Malaysia

+ Hawaii Half Ironman

I will also race Ironman Vineman in Northern California in July.

I'm really lucky with an olympic pool about 300m from my office. Most of my training is done solo except for my long rides on Saturday ( I Jump in with a roadie bunch). Long runs are done with the dog & I leave from home to reduce my time away from the family. My commute to work is only about 10min

I also did 3 races in 2012 & 2014 after losing the passion for the sport in 2009. I was sick of racing Busselton & Port and had enough.

3. That's with the family 100% of the time. They obviously get some nice holidays, but in other ways how to they cope with the races? You told me they have been involved as volunteers. Talk about that.

It's a balancing act, sometimes I get it wrong & some times I get it right. I'm still learning how to get it right. When everything is going well it easy but if my wife is having problems at work, friends, family etc it throws the balance. Ironman & training is the easy thing to vent on. I have also asked her to get more involved with my training (picking races, having input into my training hours & etc) I also send her a copy of my program as soon as i get it. She prints it out & has it at work so she knows what I'm up to for the week & it helps plan social events.

She enjoys holidays & booking the flights, hotels etc It's like a mini project for her. We also like to do educational things for my daughter on the trips (museums, tourist attractions etc). My wife started volunteering at the races a few years ago & I love it. It helps her pass the day & gets her in the middle of the action. She loves supporting me & my mates on race day, this year in Louisville my daughter volunteered on a run aid station. Getting a drink from her is one of my greatest memories racing, the smile on her face was beautiful. I just wish some one captured it in a photo.

4. Our AUD, Aussie Dollar makes comparisons tricky. Is it cheaper racing in other countries if you discount the airfare and accom? In the USA for example. If you were working and living there.

Entry fees are cheaper in the USA depending on what race you do but with the AUD at the moment it's about the same as racing.

It's generally cheaper to race in Aust but not always. For example we just booked flights to San Fran return with Qantas for $1100 each for Vineman Ironman in July. We will stay with friends who live there & use their spare car. We will probably spend less then $5k for the entire trip. Flights to Busso, car hire, accommodation for the same time in Busso would be about the same if not more expensive. I think it was also cheaper racing in Malaysia

We get a lot more out of the overseas races & it doesn't cost that much more.

5. David. You cite an IM PB of 11:49. The would be MOP or back end of middle. And you cite times that would be more BOP. So at age 38, are you going forward? Or happy where you are?

I wish 11:49 was my fastest,11:55 in Melbourne but I claim 11:57 in Louisville as my best race. I'm definitely going forward. I have had a huge mind shift in the last 12months. I want to get a sub 11 finish, when I first started racing IM I thought sub 12 would be a good goal. Then I was just happy going around getting to the finish line. Out of 15 races I'm proud of about 6 of them. I decided last year I would rather put in a performance I'm proud of then just finish so I can say I finished another race. Shit happens, injury, sickness, work etc but I want to improve every time I step up to race & that doesn't mean setting a PB every time.

I decided to hire a coach (someone I don't know, I wanted it all business) got my wife involved in the process & got serious about my training. The same mindset I have adopted at work & it's paying off. I set a swim & run pb in Louisville on a hard course on the back of a 3 week holiday in the USA. I didn't hit my goal times in Louisville but I learnt a lot. I have spoken with my coach & there is still a lot of room for improving.

6. Lets break down a few of your better times. A 1:07 swim is about median average. Bike of around 5:30 is quite good. Backed up by a run time of around 5 hours. Since you do work with an online coach, does she address any of that?

Yeah we did a lot of work on my run this year, running trails, hills and speed work on the tread mill. Years ago I was happy if I could hold 6min km on my Sunday long runs. For this program I was able to hold just over 5min km with a heart rate of 120ish it was easy & I was feeling good the entire run. I know I can run a 4:12 IM Marathon I just need to keep at it.

Swimming is at the point now I need stroke correction & I will probably get some specific coaching for this. It's just too easy with the free pool at work. I can probably get down to a 1:02ish swim

Bike I think I can it down to 5:15 depending on the course with out destroying my run.

In the off season I'm going to concentrate on my core & strength work (build the foundation for a good run)

7. And speaking of coaches, who are you working with currently?

Currently working with Endurance Team & getting coached by Chloe Lane. I'm going to stick with her for the next two to three years & see what we can do.

8. Mate, Adelaide seems to have dropped off the triathlon map. I'm thinking they once had an Aussie IM qualifier? What events do they have currently and do you do them.?

I haven't raced in Adelaide since 2007ish.

I don't like the local races. I find the courses boring & the entry fees are to high.

Also my girls can't be bothered getting up early for a local race.

By all accounts Murray Man is an awesome race but we are normally overseas or just back from racing. Next year I plan to do the Victor Harbour Olympic & Murray Man for the first time.

9. You did talk earlier about being a former 120 kg heavy drinker, but you turned it around. Yet you still have mates in that category. Since you are still friends, have you had any impact on them?

Na not really they still drink way too much & are over weight. The biggest change I have noticed is they except IM as my life style & don't be little me as much. They hated it for years, I would get comments like "what's the point Dave won't be drinking" Now my best mate & his family want to have input into what races I do next. They travelled to Malaysia & Louisville to watch me race & will probably hit up Vineman. His wife also makes sure healthy options are served up when I'm in training.

They need to make the decision, no point me telling them. I think this is one of the reasons I put on so much weight when I'm out of training. I catch up with them & get back into bad habits.

10. Since you did post recently that your daughter and wife both want bikes this Christmas. (yes you may mention now, how many bikes you have). Mention now you goals for the immediate future, and because you are a family unit, how about family goals also for 2016 and beyond.

5 bikes (2 x roadies, 1 x TT, 1 x fixie & my granddads roadie) Plan is to get a cyclocross & Mtn bike next year.

Next goal is to get the girls out riding & hiking more, spending more time as a family unit. We have a nice trail about 2km from our place that links to the local cafe. We want to be be able to hire town bikes when we are overseas & explore the cities we visit.

My wife has started talking about running a half marathon & keeps mentioning the Rock N Roll marathon in Vegas. I would love to see her do this but she needs to decide & make the commitment.

Goals for 2016 are Vineman Ironman & maybe one other.

Long term goals are sub 11 IM & also start doing a few European races.

I also want to keep pushing my career at work & see how far I can go.

• Like 3

BONUS QUESTIONS.

1. Sth Australia had some notable Sheffield Shield captains, Bradman, Vic Richardson, Ian Chappel, Darren Lehman come to mind. This player had more appearances as captain (97) and similar success, and did appear in 19 tests, but with less impact. Can you name him?

2. This player of AFL, although in a different era, was born in Chelteham, 1939. He was a champion full forward in the SANFL and WANFL. Once kicked 15 in a game and had 100 in a season once. He also played 27 Test Matches, as an opening bowler. Who was he?

Edited by Kamal2

BONUS QUESTIONS.

1. Sth Australia had some notable Sheffield Shield captains, Bradman, Vic Richardson, Ian Chappel, Darren Lehman come to mind. This player had more appearances as captain (97) and similar success, and did appear in 19 tests, but with less impact. Can you name him?

2. This player of AFL, although in a different era, was born in Chelteham, 1939. He was a champion full forward in the SANFL and WANFL. Once kicked 15 in a game and had 100 in a season once. He also played 27 Test Matches, as an opening bowler. Who was he?

NFI on both questions. I have never been into sport :shocking:

an idiot thinking I would run a 4:15 marathon & go sub 12 in my first IM.

& 13:13 finish.

I didn't think about going 4:15 on the day, but I had the same thought during training and ended up with the same time.

Good read B@W

Edited by Tyno

Good read.

Looks like you've seen the light that triathlons and IM, are a journey where you meet great people, feel good about yourself, see the world rather than a target to just tick off.

• Like 1

Nice read.

Bonus question 1 David Hookes

Bonus question 2 The only one that comes to mind is Eric Freeman but I don't think he's that old.

Bonus question 2 The only one that comes to mind is Eric Freeman but I don't think he's that old.

I googled, you're wrong :)

I googled, you're wrong :)

I didn't Google so I'm not surprised.

I'll have a bit more of a think.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nice read.

Bonus question 1 David Hookes

1, Not Hookesy. The player I had in mind had more appearances as captain and 2 Shield wins vs one for Hookes,

2. Neil Hawke.

I didn't Google so I'm not surprised.

I'll have a bit more of a think.

I hope those 2 minutes were enough :D

1, Not Hookesy. The player I had in mind had more appearances as captain and 2 Shield wins vs one for Hookes,

2. Neil Hawke.

Shit. Neil Hawke! Forgot about him.

How about Les Favell? I'm pretty sure he would have been captain when Chappelli started playing in the 60s.

How about Les Favell? I'm pretty sure he would have been captain when Chappelli started playing in the 60s.

Yes he had more appearances as captain (97) and 2 Shield wins. And when Chappell, Hookes and Lehman played they had less appearances because of international tours and test appearances.

Nothing better than jumping on the bike on a Sunday afternoon, riding along the river track to Adelaide Oval and watching a sublime David Hookes and a scarily good young Darren Lehmann absolutely carving it up for SA. $1.00 entry got you an afternoon on the best cricket hill in the world.

I didn't think about going 4:15 on the day, but I had the same thought during training and ended up with the same time.

Good read B@W

Seems to be a common problem. I was thinking around 12 hours, did a 12:35 on debut. Forster 2002.

I was of the bike at around 7:15 and I thought I could run a 4 30 easily.

Edited by Kamal2

Similar here.

I thought I could average 6 min pace which is 4.12 but aimed for 90 minutes per lap (Cairns 3 lap run) to be conservative. In my two races I've run 4.26 and 4.28.

I still like to think if I do another IM one day that I could get it much closer to 4 hours. Wishful thinking maybe.

Good stuff

I was also over 100kgs (now 62kgs)so I know where u are coming from

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

Jeepers IP, both numbers surprise me

:-)

I got below 62 pre and most likely during ultraman , since I've been crooke (probably due to my treatment Meds) I tend to bloat up abit during ultra-man (and very much post IM and UM) so if your looking at some of the pics that's why I look abit like a Michelin man at times

Pretty much back to normal now

Just jumped on the scales for you steno and I'm 62.3 KGs post 36 k run

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

Good stuff

I was also over 100kgs (now 62kgs)so I know where u are coming from

Ivp

You beat me at everything.

Max has been 91.5 and min 63.5. Now 66/7 ish

• Like 1

Thats the problem with the full iron distance. You can get by in the swim and on flat courses on the bike whilst 90 - 100kg but hauling that weight around a mary (especially having already been out for 7 or 8 odd hrs) is a big ask. KQ near impossible

Nice read mate. It's great to see the support you get, and give, to the family unit. Having a support crew like that is priceless.

FM

• Like 1

nice work Dave. You are a genuine guy with a zest for having fun while racing. keep it real mate