Sign in to follow this  
AA7

8in8in8- Ironmans- Craig Percival

Craig will be starting his extreme endurance challenge on the 6th March in Darwin and will then complete consecutive Iron-distance events in Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane before finishing in Melbourne, his hometown, on 13th March.

Didn't anybody tell him there was no IM in Melbourne next year?

• Like 1

I think 6 in 7 days.

Maybe 7.

I don;t believe he has done one since. Or anything else.

Shame ripping athlete.

Travel will suck.

Assuming 9 hours per day of exercise and him catching the last plane out each day.

He's gunna be on the go for say 16+ hours a day for the first 3 days at least.

Travel will suck.

Assuming 9 hours per day of exercise and him catching the last plane out each day.

He's gunna be on the go for say 16+ hours a day for the first 3 days at least.

I went and did a quick look at the list of flights he will need to catch.

March 6th - Darwin race -> Perth - Last fight leaves at 5:30pm so needs to be at airport around 4:30 so assuming 10h (so he can do may in a row) he needs to start at 6:30am. This is ok

March 7th - Perth race -> Adelaide - Last flight leaves at 5:10pm (gets in 10:30pm) so needs to be at airport at 4pm. So a 6am start (Late flight in but airport is close to city).

March 8th - Adelaide race -> Hobart -> Last flight leaves at 5:05pm gets in just before 9pm Again 6am start

March 9th - Hobart race -> Canberra -> Last flight leaves at 5pm

From here it gets easier because they are shorter flights but also they all have late options. EG Canberra -> Sydney has an 8pm, Similar Sydney to Bris and Bris to Mel.

So as long as he can handle the late night really early starts for the first 5 legs it should be logistically possible. He really needs to have a good crew to get the bikes ready each morning for the start so he is 100% ready to get out of swim and start riding no delay.

• Like 1

Canberra to Sydney he won't fly. He will ride and run it I'd guess.

But 5am starts. He will shit it in.

Andrew Stanfield did 5 IMs in 5 days, had a rest day then did IMOZ. From memory, he raised approx $70K for the KIDs Foundation. Woolie, an old Trannie, supported him along the way with massage (I can't remember who the others were). He started in VIC then did them as he moved up the country to Forster.

He had a hard time around Wollongong and needed some inspiration. We put out a call across Transitions and got a number of Gong triathletes and cyclist to ride with him. It helped him at a very low point.

I remember him coming into Forster on the Friday night. He had to complete a few laps of the park nearby to finish his marathon as part of his 5th IM. There were 2 runners with him. I'd had a couple of beers at the carbo party then came outside and ran a few laps with him. He finished his 5th, had a quick change then went to the carbo party to give a speech on the fundraising. Quite amazing.

He then did IMOZ on the Sunday and ran across the line with a number of the kids from the KIDS Foundation. I was catching at the finish line. Truly inspirational. I had a few tears that day. One of the highlights of many as a volunteer.

FM

• Like 2

I remember him coming into Forster on the Friday night. He had to complete a few laps of the park nearby to finish his marathon as part of his 5th IM. There were 2 runners with him. I'd had a couple of beers at the carbo party then came outside and ran a few laps with him. He finished his 5th, had a quick change then went to the carbo party to give a speech on the fundraising. Quite amazing.

FM

I also ran about 3k with him that night. His pace was almost too fast for me.

I think that was the year you and I were spotting for IMLIVE using that phone you pulled out of the bush at the far turnaround of the bike.

Then we drove like a bat out of hell back into town cheering everyone. Good times

Edited by Peter

Yep, that was it. The old Camry with the big IM sticker on the front. We drove down the middle of the road coming back into town with the 4 way flashers on. I think we also sang happy birthday to Macca at the fr turnaround point.

FM

Great Coach.

I highly recommend him to anyone looking to better themselves & achieve their Goals.

I'm disappointed he's doing Brisbane on Saturday when plenty of Brissie triathletes will be at Mooloolaba. Would've loved to have done a river loop with him. Or tag along on the run for a few kms.

• Like 1

Arw we gonna do a "slowtwits" version of a pool swim including push off's so not a full 3.8? I hope not

Well, his other option in Darwin is to get eaten by a crocodile, which would limit his ability to complete the other 7......

I still believe he swam 3.8k so all good in my books.

Better than those that did 1100 at Ironman Melb one year and still took the medal and brag about their PB.

Not sanctioned events. None of it counts or matters.

Except to the people that will benefit from the $80000 he is hoping to raise.

• Like 2

5 Riverloops to make up his Brissie ride distance.

The poor bugger!

Is that a hard ride or is it like beach rd?

Cheers

Ivp

If he's doing it in the morning he'll have to be careful and watch out for all the idiots on bikes thinking they are Cadel.

Cheers
Ivp

There's a few rises, and lots of corners, but you get groups like on Beach Rd thinking they own the road.

• Like 1

One day, I did it two loops.

That was more than enough.

It's not difficult, but he might die of boredom.

Starting Saturday at 7:00 it'll be packed with numpties as well.

He'll probably get a fair bit of kids sport traffic for the back half as well.

His run loop is going to be hella busy too.

Number 5 in Canberra done. Driving to Sydney and pretty much starting straight away.

Saw this legend in Lane 1 at Caringbah as I finished my swim this morning. His entourage said he was tired but in good spirits. Well and truly into number 6 now. Amazing and all the best to him

I was looking for him on my way into work this morning but he must have been a bit behind schedule.

Roxii,

Any chance you could do an interview with him after this? I'm interested in what drives him to do something like this, and how do you contemplate getting up on morning 6, knowing you have to ride around Sydney all morning.

And find out if he has a bell on his bike, and is carrying ID? :)

Steve Waugh was there also, don't think he's much of a swimmer though.

yup five million laps of kurnell or something like that, it's on his website (first post on this thread).

Roxii,

Any chance you could do an interview with him after this? I'm interested in what drives him to do something like this, and how do you contemplate getting up on morning 6, knowing you have to ride around Sydney all morning.

And find out if he has a bell on his bike, and is carrying ID? :)

The IM Talk guys interviewed him a couple of weeks ago.

Fundraising is now over $55,000, still $25,000 needed to reach his target. If you haven't already donated, get on to everydayhero.com.au and do it today.

Will be great to see him finish in Melbourne today, I was looking forward to riding with him on the Peninsula but he's now doing laps of Beach Rd instead. Run is around the GP circuit. Get down there if you can!

Here are details of Melb. IM today from FB

Good morning everyone!! Can you believe that Craig has just completed 7 consecutive Ironmans?!! Last night defied belief - more later, but we can tell you that he had the most remarkable support group who stayed with him all through the night. As soon as he finished his marathon, he had to race off to the airport with Lindell, and hopefully he is now getting some sleep before he hits Melbourne for his Grand Finale Ironman.

SWIM DETAILS

* Prahran Aquatic Centre, Essex Street

* 12pm dive-in

* Free entry for spectators and support swimmers of 8in8in8

* Straight after the swim, Craig will be making a special presentation to a JMF grant recipient, 2 year old Tommy, who has Cerebral Palsy and a severe vision impairment. The grant Craig presents to him today will allow Tommy to have his first ever wheelchair

Ride and run details to follow - note that the ride will commence at Prahran Pool...

Okay guys, this is the Melbourne support team checking in. We have some big updates on the âª#âŽ8in8in8⬠Grand Finale event!!

First up, we have some VERY EXCITING NEWS. This afternoon, we met with the Grand Prix Corporation. They have given us exclusive access to the circuit for the end of the ride / transition / run. This is very very cool - those who know Craig will know that this is "his place".

Race start: 12pm dive-in, Prahran Aquatic Centre (Essex Street, Prahran). Please note that entry fees apply, and parking can be tricky - so allow plenty of time.

Straight after the swim, Craig will be making a very special presentation to a JMF grant recipient. This doesn't normally occur in IM transitions, so it may push timings out slightly.

Between 1.15 and 1.30pm - BIKE LEG. Craig will be heading direct from Prahran to Beach Road, and doing laps of the Challenge Melbourne course. He will eventually end up at the Grand Prix Circuit, where he will complete the last portion of the ride, which will finish at the northern (Eastern Road) of the course.

He will then complete the marathon on the F1 circuit, and we really really hope that many of you will join him.

More deets to follow, but we had to share this with you as we are extremely excited!!

Edited by ironpo

This guy is amazing

Doing the 8 Ironman is one thing but it's the travel time , that's killing him

He's pretty much getting no sleep

Incredible

Cheers

Ivp

Pretty amazing I agree. He was already looking like a zombie after number 5 I just don't know how he managed the last couple of days.

Pretty amazing I agree. He was already looking like a zombie after number 5 I just don't know how he managed the last couple of days.

Agree

He has looked shocking for 5 days understandably, he's paying the price a little for doing the first couple of IMs too quick

I'm also unsure how he's getting though , but knowing the bloke quite well , I know he will get there and get it done

He is an amazingly driven fellow , and has phenomenal support through his wife lindel

Cheers

Ivp

From FB

4 hrs ·

MELBOURNE RIDE DETAILS

Craig will be rolling out from Prahran Pool at around 1.30pm. He will be heading towards Beach Road via St Kilda Street, and then proceeding to Mordialloc. He'll then do laps between Mordi and South Road (Hampton), before finally heading to the Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit via Kerferd Road / Clarendon Street entrance. From there, he'll turn left into Albert Lane, and will finish the ride at the city end of Lakeside Drive - for locals, it's right near the boom gate that cyclists have to ride around.

Some important things to be aware of.

* This is not a supported ride for anyone but Craig.

* Craig is very fatigued, and may need to stop from time to time - sometimes quite quickly.

* Craig will not sit in any groups; 8in8in8 is draft-free for him!!

* We will be briefing riders who choose to roll out from the pool with Craig.

* Craig will not be riding at his normal pace!!! It may be dark by the time he finishes (especially if he needs a nap or two), so please be prepared with lights.

* We will have a bike rack at the finish of the ride, where you may lock up your bike - BYO lock!

Finally and most importantly, please be very careful out there. And have a great day!!!

Sounds like it's getting very tough for him out there now. Hope he gets round the ride then the run without any real issues.

Best of luck on a hell of a week for him.