Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

SRAM etap (again)

50+, New To Cycling, wants to Look good at the Coffee shop??

Nothing wrong with wanting to look good at the coffee shop but some people have no taste. Imagine the Cervelo you could buy with the price of that Specialized.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with wanting to look good at the coffee shop but some people have no taste. Imagine the Cervelo you could buy with the price of that Specialized.

But...but... it is 5 minutes faster over 40k! You can order coffee before everyone else.

Just trickling into UK now. I think individual folks that ordered in Dec are getting theirs early March. I reckon there will be a big gap before the next orders hit though as SRAM have said they can't even begin to match demand until mid-year (either that or they're waiting to see if it self destructs!)

Are any Pro teams are using it yet?

The mechanics at my LBS that built the Venge said they like etap. They got a crack at a unit at some demo and thrashed it, trying to stuff it up/confuse it, to no avail. It remained solid.

On general principle I don't trust wireless, my next bike will be DI2 I think.

• Like 1

Are any Pro teams are using it yet?

The mechanics at my LBS that built the Venge said they like etap. They got a crack at a unit at some demo and thrashed it, trying to stuff it up/confuse it, to no avail. It remained solid.

Some teams were using it most of last year I think.

Smart man

Cheers

Ivp

Look I'm no sram fan but shit that gruppo looks good. If it works as advertised, and that's a big if, I think they are on to a winner once the price is brought back in line with the market.

Look I'm no sram fan but shit that gruppo looks good. If it works as advertised, and that's a big if, I think they are on to a winner once the price is brought back in line with the market.

I like the concept and I can live with the clean look but would have a hard time living with the look of those hoods.

The rumour was it will be just over 2k locally for an upgrade kit, shifters & derailleurs so the above sounds pretty close.

Edited by caesar

With dura ace at around $3k+ locally that's not a bad price point.

With dura ace at around $3k+ locally that's not a bad price point.

You mean the upgrade kit is $3k or the full group?

I think I saw quoted a few weeks back that it's around the $2.4k mark

Yeah I saw on a Uk website for just over 2k for the Upgrade kit. Must be like double that here in Aus.

Â

Â

You mean the upgrade kit is $3k or the full group?

Full group sorry. It's more like $3.4 but if you look hard enough it can be had for $3k. Or do it as I did and buy it in bits for less than $2.5k.

So Etap is probably in the same ballpark as dura ace di2.

+5% duty = 1871, + postage if applicable

+10% GST =2058

Plus customs fee? $50 odd, still cheaper I think...

So my mates lbs has started stocking Ridley again, and they have a heap of demo's there to borrow.  So he borrowed one with etap for this mornings ride, and he is very much thinking about it now (with lotsa prompting from me :) ).  Couple of things I noticed on this bike, so I don't know if maybe it's not set up right yet or something.  But in particular the front derailleur didn't trim itself.  Sure, you shouldn't be cross chaining like that, but still, was some serious rubbing going on when he was in big/big.  Seemed a bit louder than I expected....... I thought about the same volume as the shifting in my mates Ultegra DI, which I thought was louder than my other mates DI2 (and this is early DI2 too).  Was a big unit on the front derailleur; thought it must mostly be battery but that was only a little bit at the back.

I think though, I've pretty much got him talked into it (he doesn't need much convincing to spend money).  What he's unsure of is will his Reynolds 46's take an 11 speed cassette, and if not, what does he do?  I told him surely worst case would be a new hub for it.  They're about 3 or 4 years old so we don't know if 11 speed compatible.  Are there any other tricks to make a 10 speed hub take 11?

Just now, goughy said:

So my mates lbs has started stocking Ridley again, and they have a heap of demo's there to borrow.  So he borrowed one with etap for this mornings ride, and he is very much thinking about it now (with lotsa prompting from me :) ).  Couple of things I noticed on this bike, so I don't know if maybe it's not set up right yet or something.  But in particular the front derailleur didn't trim itself.  Sure, you shouldn't be cross chaining like that, but still, was some serious rubbing going on when he was in big/big.  Seemed a bit louder than I expected....... I thought about the same volume as the shifting in my mates Ultegra DI, which I thought was louder than my other mates DI2 (and this is early DI2 too).  Was a big unit on the front derailleur; thought it must mostly be battery but that was only a little bit at the back.

I think though, I've pretty much got him talked into it (he doesn't need much convincing to spend money).  What he's unsure of is will his Reynolds 46's take an 11 speed cassette, and if not, what does he do?  I told him surely worst case would be a new hub for it.  They're about 3 or 4 years old so we don't know if 11 speed compatible.  Are there any other tricks to make a 10 speed hub take 11?

its sram so its gunna be noisey

should not  be rubbing on the front detailer

I would think it should auto  trim the FD if not don't buy it

I would also think a demo bike should be working perfectly so the prospective buyer would be as impressed as possible

I would also think the Reynolds would be 11 speed compatible

if not can make his 11 speed cassette fit on a ten speed hub (for a small fee)!!!!

It certainly wasn't Auto timing the front, that's for sure. We actually checked it because I noticed the rubbing. Don't know if this was a set up issue or if it just doesn't Auto trim. He also had a lot of issues with shifting to the big ring.... often it took quite a time and a lot of crunching and noise. Not a swift clean shift like I expected. I am assuming this was a setup issue though. If that was normal no one would buy it.

I'm sure I've read here that 10 speed hubs can be "converted" to 11, but can't remember how. What was the go with that?

All I need him then to do is get a Ridley Dean (with etap as well of course) and I can take his Fuji D6 off his hands.

Ok, just did a quick Google. Says you set up the front derailleur the same way you set up mechanical, and that it doesn't do any micro trimming during use, like DI2. One reviewer said he noticed some minor rubbing once in a while, generally only when in big/big. So I'd say that his shifting to big issue was definitely a setup issue, and maybe can remove some of the rubbing at extreme cross chaining, but maybe not all.

7 hours ago, goughy said:

Ok, just did a quick Google. Says you set up the front derailleur the same way you set up mechanical, and that it doesn't do any micro trimming during use, like DI2. One reviewer said he noticed some minor rubbing once in a while, generally only when in big/big. So I'd say that his shifting to big issue was definitely a setup issue, and maybe can remove some of the rubbing at extreme cross chaining, but maybe not all.

Really

well i think that's very poor for a top of the line group set not to have auto trim

another plus for di2 then

• Like 2

7 hours ago, goughy said:

All I need him then to do is get a Ridley Dean (with etap as well of course) and I can take his Fuji D6 off his hands.

Now I see why ur keen for him to move to another bike

just tell him anything so he buys 

• Like 1

The etap is for his current roadie, but it doesn't stop me encouraging him to spend. Guess I live my life through him.

He's been wanting to buy a Dean for several years now (he's a Ridley whore), but hasn't gotten around to it.  He knows I'm happy riding what I've got. But he also knows I'll most likely end up with his old TT when he does upgrade.

Thought I'd post about this.  The afore mentioned mate has his Ridley Dean and has etap for it.  He's putting it all together himself.  And he's struck an interesting little problem with it that I though might be worth a mention.

He runs compact cranks, even on his TT bike.  Neither of us a very quick anyway, but he likes to spin at about 100 so he's always preferred it.  But....... the etap front derailleur will not go down low enough on the braze on bracket to get into the right place for compact cranks.  he has enough left on the braze on to slide it down, but the battery on top interferes and won't let the derailleur slide down far enough!  So I guess something to think of if you're looking at the combination of etap, compacts and a braze on mount.

When I found out he had a cassette up to 28 on the back, I suggested he try a 52/36 front combo which he's bought and he says it looks like that will be fine.

But a little something that could be worth looking out for in the future...  

**edit to add** - another thing he's come up against.  The little blip buttons for changing the gears.  He's obviously got two sets, one set for the aerobar and another for at the brakes.  But the plugs on the end of the blips will not fit through the internal routing of his 4ZA basebar, meaning he's running the cables externally somehow.  They'll go into the routing, but it has to turn a corner within the basebar and the plug ends are too long and too thick to make the turn.  So another thing worth looking out for if running on a TT bike!

Edited by goughy
extra info
  • Like 1

I've seen a couple of posts regarding Cervelos and compacts that have come up against the same issue Goughy.  Regarding the Blip buttons, he can run externally like you've said but a lot of folks opt straight for the Clic buttons instead (which IMO look heaps neater).

• Like 1

He actually didn't like the position of them. But he doesn't have a problem with the blips on his aerobar extensions, those cables run internally fine. It's the ones on the basebar by the brake handles that are the problem. He has to run those cables externally.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

He actually didn't like the position of them. But he doesn't have a problem with the blips on his aerobar extensions, those cables run internally fine. It's the ones on the basebar by the brake handles that are the problem. He has to run those cables externally.

Ah sorry, I mis read.  I remember the PX5 build video where the guy attached a cable to the end of one of the controllers to pull it through. Obviously you wouldn't force it but maybe pulling it through from the other end might help it go round the corner better than 'pushing it'?

Interesting! Though my mate was certain the the plugs on the Ind of the wires were too fat and too long to fit. Might point that out to him though.

Here's some pics of my mates setup today. He's changed his bars to a zipp set which are suppose to be etap compatible. Had no issues running all the cables etc.  He's running the blip buttons with the end cap on his extensions rather than the little buttons which plug into the end of the extensions. The blips are held in place by a couple of tabs, and during today's ride one of them had slipped out of its holder and was hanging down.

IMG_20171105_070014.thumb.jpg.8b7d554bdb9d46065cd376bbfa1ab597.jpg

IMG_20171105_070000.jpg

IMG_20171105_070030.jpg

IMG_20171105_070115.jpg

IMG_20171105_070057.jpg

He's hoping that sram end up making a brake lever like the di2 with the buttons integrated. The blip buttons are a bit messy here. He's cut the bar tape away where the button is, but I've suggested trying to just cover over the whole button with bar tape and see how it works. Might look better

IMG_20171105_070230.jpg

Edited by goughy

This is the issue I mentioned with his front derailleur.  He's currently running a 52/36 front but would rather have been using the compact he originally purchased. As you can see in the photo the battery for the front derailleur is hard up against the top of the braze on, and there is no way the derailleur could fit any lower, even though there is room in the braze on to slide one lower. It meant he couldn't get the derailleur anywhere near low enough for a compact crank. It just works with the 52. I realise this probably wouldn't be an issue for most people, but it is something to consider. 

IMG_20171105_070048.jpg

Yeah, the junction box thing is a bit odd.  It has controls on it too, I think maybe for trimming etc or at least for initial setup.  You can change gears from it too.  Clearly the road kit is better cause I think everything just attaches back to the hoods, rather than having a separate controller.

Yeah, they're pretty wide! That's how he's comfortable, doesn't feel stable otherwise.

6 hours ago, pieman said:

To me this looks really ugly. it looks like he has attached a (multi)wired mouse to his stem...

And to think, the are people who complain about the junction box for di2!

43 minutes ago, goughy said:

And to think, the are people who complain about the junction box for di2!

Yep

i think the etap on a roady  might be ok 

but the TT set up is miles and miles  behind shimano 

My mate had a little stuff up last week. Left his bike in his lounge room and during the day his robot vacuum bumped it and knocked out over. He said the gears were out of whack.  He took it out and was trying to trim the rear while riding and he derailed it, throwing the chain on the rear, to the inside!

• Sad 1

PeePee from Pedals Plus posted if you have to ask price then you probably can’t afford it. 

Will be on my next country relocation bike.