Peter

December 2015 Swim Challenge (1k TT)

What do you reckon a touch turn costs? I swim in a 25yd pool so it is 44 laps. I'm no where near you lot with my most recent being 17:45. I'd be happy with 16:xx by Feb 17.

It all depends on how quick you do it, and how quick the alternative (tumble) is. There's a guy swims beside me in squad that can't tumble, and the other side a girl that does. To be different, I normally only tumble the deep end as the shallow is very shallow (my hand touches the bottom when I tumble). Even when I touch turn, I can be faster in the turn than either if I want to push off hard, though I don't normally.

I'm excellent at turns... it used to be the way I could get a free 5-6m on the faster guys and girls and help me kinda keep up. Makes a huge difference for me and would for most if they were good at them. Completely useless for triathlon though!

Shuffle, I am the same. I don't come anywhere near these times in the pool - but am close to them in races. I do not push off hard with tumble turns as I want to work my arms/shoulders.

I work on reducing my personal time.

FM

First TT 1km in 25 M pool

15:43

Hoping to get training a bit can break 15 min this year ?

Ok shaved 5 sec off!

15:38 last week!

• Like 1

Yeah, so's my husband ;-P

But seriously, how often do you think these should be done? I did this after having a rest day the day before, so that probably helped - but is unlikely to happen again...

I reckon you could get away with a serous crack every 3-4 days.

Dropping the bilateral breathing earlier will help you make your back end even more buff ... I mean stronger ...

Edited by Andrew #1

Alright Andrew, did another one today for the hell of it. Jumped I to the water and knew immediately that it wasn't going to be as easy as last Sunday, but thought it would be interesting to see how I'd go when fatigued. Warmed up, and then started from a dive. Abandoned the attempt just after 200m due to goggle issues.

So, decided to try again after tightening said goggles. Managed a 14:53:45 from a dive. Pleased I could do this fatigued and after the false start.

1:25, 1:30, 1:31, 1:31, 1:30, 1:30, 1:30, 1:29, 1:30, 1:25

Will move onto 400s for a couple of weeks and will try again :-)

Edited by BogFrog
  • Like 1

Alright Andrew, did another one today for the hell of it. Jumped I to the water and knew immediately that it wasn't going to be as easy as last Sunday, but thought it would be interesting to see how I'd go when fatigued. Warmed up, and then started from a dive. Abandoned the attempt just after 200m due to goggle issues.

So, decided to try again after tightening said goggles. Managed a 14:53:45 from a dive. Pleased I could do this fatigued and after the false start.

Back end is spectacular! ;)

• Like 1

But I could feel my stroke going to shit. If I had been able to keep to bilateral, it would have evened me out. I can never breathe every 4 or more strokes. 3 is my limit! Little lungs? Also find breathing easier when I swim with paddles - slower stoke I guess.

Try to increase your lung capacity?

At the beginning of your sessions, Swim 50m beathing every 5 strokes if you can

Do some other drill for 150m

Repeat.

Over time, make it every 7 strokes

??

Just a suggestion. I don't know much.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Edited by Cranky

Try to increase your lung capacity?

At the beginning of your sessions, Swim 50m beathing every 5 strokes if you can

Do some other drill for 150m

Repeat.

Over time, make it every 7 strokes

??

Just a suggestion. I don't know much.

Hypoxic training is awesome - and I've been able to get it up to one breath every 13 strokes ... but for a 1km TT an athlete should be right on the rivet - so getting air in and out of the lungs is key.

Check out how elite swimmers smash out a 1500 Metre race - nearly all of them breath every seconds second stroke after 200 metres and only breath bilaterally every so often to check out the competition.

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

We generally do it as a part of the warm-up.

Same. I think we have done it once at the end though.

That is very well controlled pacing!

Only had 20 min in the morning so smashed a 1k TT

Shaved another 10 sec

15:28 !

• Like 1

I'm finding making any headway very difficult at the moment. Hopefully it's just that I've been stuffed, and aching all over from the training & work around the pool of late, but I just can't get down under 14:45. I've had a couple of 1km TTs, and also some 800's, where I've only been able to do 11:50 - 12:00.

One thing I have noticed though. I did an easy 1km yesterday just to try to loosen the arms & back up a bit, and concentrate on form. I wasn't looking at the clock, but would think I swam fairly constant. I came in at 16:01, and was not tired at all, and not even puffing. I felt like I could have kept going all day at that pace. Hopefully that will translate into some better times on my long swims later in the season.

• Like 1

I, but I just can't get down under 14:45. I've had a couple of 1km TTs, and also some 800's, where I've only been able to do 11:50 - 12:00.

Sorry you wont get any sympathy from me.... :smile1:

6.12 400m just now. Second was 6.27. I had nothing after the first one.

Got out of the pool to ride home and had a screw.through through fatty tyre.

c31645ec250b4f602ff1c4cc432e834c.jpg

Went to the pub and waiting for the girlfriend to work out how to drive my car to save me.

af07a4a5a3d13607052c188a18bd7e03.jpg

$8 for a schooner was a bit rich [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

On a road trip at the moment. Got the whole family in the pool for a TT.

Mrs Shuffla 15:57

Master Shuffla (15) 16:02

Miss Shuffla (12) 16:35

Me 18:40 ð

• Like 2

That's demoralising - what a kick in the nuts! Last in the family bragging rights.

Yes unfortunately I knew it was coming. Master (7) is still some way of but I reckon the way he is going I've only got 3-4 years.

• Like 1

Rolled over a 15:55 warm up 1km on Friday. Reckon I'll start having an actual stab at a 1km TT in a couple of weeks - just before Xmas ...

Take the positives. How often can any of us say we got 4 of the family in the pool for a race.

In my mind - that's Gold.

FM

Absolutely awesome set this morning. Can recommend this to anybody looking to increase their endurance. Just change the time bases to suit.

1km W/U, which was 400m FS, 300m pull, 200m IM, 100m kick.

Then the killer.

4 x 100m 400m 8 x 50m

3 x 100m 300m 6 x 50m

2 x 100m 200m 4 x 50m

1 x 100m 100m 2 x 50m

The 100's were on 1:35 base, the longer distance on 1:40 (per 100) base, then the 50's on 50 (and negative split). 30 seconds break after the 50's.

I managed to swim every rep under 1:30/100m pace, so it's the first time I've swum 3km at that pace, albeit with a bit of rest in between.

• Like 2

Put down a lazy 15:41 1km warm up on Wednesday ... squad - something like Ex Hasbeen's session on Thursday... reckon that 1km TT au bloc is just around the corner ...

New record this morning.

Painful

Pull buoy

Proud

10a66e9fb91be8528061b5ecbae1f70c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

New record this morning.

Painful

Pull buoy

Proud

10a66e9fb91be8528061b5ecbae1f70c.jpg

Respect.

Though a Pull Buoy is cheating. :)

Respect.

Though a Pull Buoy is cheating. :)

I did a race on the weekend and only used those CORE wetsuit shorts whilst everyone else used wetsuits. So this is just a leveler

I did a race on the weekend and only used those CORE wetsuit shorts whilst everyone else used wetsuits. So this is just a leveler

ASADA didn't come knocking on Monday did they? With that time, I mean, well.

In my case I'm a bit upset. I feel like I'm doing much harder training this season, but my 1km time is only 2sec faster than back in May. I think the issue is that I'm not swimming as often. Early this year I was training on my own, and doing 2 - 2.5km sessions 5 times a week, with a long OW swim on the weekend. Now, I'm doing 4 - 5km sessions, but only 3 times a week.

I think I will start swimming small sets on the days between squad in the new year & see how it goes.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I'm surprised I haven't had a knock on the door. I actually won a triathlon (outright) on the weekend running a final K of 3:45. 3rd out of the water. Ride sucked.

The previous weekend I came 3rd overall in a swim run race that took over 2 hours.

then this today.

Something has clicked of late for me and I have no idea. Maybe just dropping 10kg. That's like running with a slab of beer. Easier running without it I guess.

• Like 1

New 400m PB last night. The legs were feeling a little fatigued on my morning run, so I wasn't holding out for a great swim, but when I got in the water, everything just felt right. I can't pick it - I was expecting a great swim on Tuesday, but I felt crap in the water. Anyway, took 1.5 secs off my PB for a 5:43:9

This thread has a 2015 date on it - should we start a new swimming thread?

I'm slower with a Pull Buoy, so mucho respect!

Me too. I hate the pull buoy.

I'm slower with a Pull Buoy, so mucho respect!

Me too. I hate the pull buoy.

I am as well for anything up to 400m. After that my kick is only used to keep my body up & control rotation, so I'm faster with it.

I'm always faster with pool bouy until I get strong/fit enough through my hips and core to keep my fat ass higher/give me a better body position in the water.

If I put paddles, bouy and band on I reckon I am circa 8secs/100m quicker (this is also due to reduced cardio strain I guess)

Was supposed to do an ocean swim today but ran out of time, so went to the pool instead. I decided I'd just do an easy swim. Was very pleased to do 1k easy in 15:38. 9 months ago that would've been a 1K PB.

Just shows - consistency, minimum 3 times a week and an ole one can still improve!

• Like 1

Down to 17:19 for me. Still taking large chunks of time off so should get 16:xx before to long. Just need to swim more... Although I notice that general fitness from bike and run is helping as it builds.

Maybe just dropping 10kg. That's like running with a slab of beer. Easier running without it I guess.

This. Dropped 28kg last year. My pace has increased over the last year from an 8:30/km to a 6:30-7:00/km.

• Like 1

New record this morning.

Painful

Pull buoy

Proud 10a66e9fb91be8528061b5ecbae1f70c.jpg

That's incredibly quick old sport. What's your actual 1000m PB sans pool buoy and in a 50m pool?

Last 3 swims have been in a chlorine pool as opposed to my usual salt water pools and I've felt like crap in the water. Can't get enough air in, rushing my stroke and slower... *humph*