Peter

December 2015 Swim Challenge (1k TT)

Did I say I enjoy squad?

1km mixed W/U this morning, then 2 sets. The first was 10 x 200m on 3:10. I suppose I should be thankful, as I did a season best for 2km, even with the 5 to 10 second stop every 200m. Second set was 20 x 50m, every 2nd one timed. I don't think I've felt that stuffed getting out of the water. Driving to the railway station after swimming, I sang along to Hotel California in the car, and my jaw was hurting, not to mention what my arms felt like carrying my bag to the office.

Not sure I'm going to make it through today. :)

Did I say I enjoy squad?

1km mixed W/U this morning, then 2 sets. The first was 10 x 200m on 3:10. I suppose I should be thankful, as I did a season best for 2km, even with the 5 to 10 second stop every 200m. Second set was 20 x 50m, every 2nd one timed. I don't think I've felt that stuffed getting out of the water. Driving to the railway station after swimming, I sang along to Hotel California in the car, and my jaw was hurting, not to mention what my arms felt like carrying my bag to the office.

Not sure I'm going to make it through today. :)

is this quite a competitive squad or are these the time for the fast/ExH lane? cos they sound pretty unachievable for most average joes who would be going to a squad session... (even in a 25m pool..)

This morning there were only 3 of us there because a lot have gone away for the holidays. 2 of us did those times, though the other guy dropped to 3:15 for the last few.

Normally there are 5 to 10 in the squad and 2 or 3 of us are in the fast lanes. We get our own lanes too, so there's no sitting on. The slower lanes would have done 3:45 & 4:00 for the 200's if they were there today.

As far as competitive, the guy I swim with doesn't compete in anything, and the woman that sometimes joins us does Tri's. Most of the others are just there for fitness, or dabble in the occasional sprint to OD race.

There's a guy that comes to the pool twice a week and swims 3km at sub 1:30 pace. Ex-clubby, but just does it to keep fit these days. It's surprising how many quick people there are out there that just like to swim.

I've got some nerve thing going on so I am turning like a cruise ship. Takes a chunk out of my 10sec gap. My lane must hate me lol.

You wanna find the hurt locker, take your 13yo daughter to your squad on her week off. Had to punch out 12 x 100s the other day (50m pool 1.40 cycle). Had to do 1.23s to stop her tapping my toes. Too much ego to yield. First 4 were ok. Was gonna spew after 8. Made it but had a nana nap later.

• Like 1

The pool we swim in is so warm, he makes me feel sick and weirdly induces mild panic when swimming hard, something that doesn't happen in cooler pools. I thought I was alone with that until a few others mentioned the same thing.

The pool we swim in is so warm, he makes me feel sick and weirdly induces mild panic when swimming hard, something that doesn't happen in cooler pools. I thought I was alone with that until a few others mentioned the same thing.

I don't get the panic bit, but sometimes Samford is that warm I just can't get into a real rhythm with my swim. I suppose it's like running in the heat.

Down to 16:20 for 1km warm up - no toys - at lunch today. 200M recovery then 8x100M on 1:45 with nothing slower than 1:31. 200 swim down

Is it time for another swim challenge?

Down to 16:20 for 1km warm up - no toys - at lunch today. 200M recovery then 8x100M on 1:45 with nothing slower than 1:31. 200 swim down

Is it time for another swim challenge?

Looking good. It's coming back quickly.

• Like 1

Looking good. It's coming back quickly.

It usually does, but it's been over a year since I went under 15 - so THAT is a concern ...

Also, decided against regular squads. I reckon I can get it done on 3-4 indivual sessions per week ranging between 1.8 & 3km per session.

Loved this morning's swim. Hurt like hell, but got a "season best" 400m which was only 6 seconds off what I was doing in April, so hoping for a very low 15min 1km next week.

As an aside, it's amazing how easy backstroke is when you use it in your warm-up and down, or as an easy lap between sets, but how bloody hard it is when it's part of your main set and you're doing it fast. :scared:

• Like 1

Managed a 16:32 this morning.

* 25mtr pool

** laid on pool deck for 10 minutes trying to breathe on completion

• Like 3

Managed a 16:32 this morning.

* 25mtr pool

** laid on pool deck for 10 minutes trying to breathe on completion

Ha ha good effort! I'll do a 1km next week. Got to find a cooler pool.

Edited by zed

So, I've been swimming a bit but not really realising the improvements I've been making. I took a couple of months off swimming due to holidays and being able to run again, but got back into some solid sessions in September. I decided 2 weeks ago to try and see how I'd go on a 1km build from a warm up. Was super surprised to get a 15:22 - only the last 400m was I really thinking about pushing it.

Last Wed, I decided to do a 400m TT. Warmed up, drills etc and did the 400m from a dive and was soooooo thrilled to get 5:45! That's an adult PB! I'm now thinking that I should be well able to break that elusive 15min barrier that eluded me (by fractions of a second) in May.

I have to credit this new found speed with the split fartlek 4x100s sets recommended to me here, along with 10x100s at speed, with 30s rests, mixed with 400s and paddle work.

That is for the advice guys :)

• Like 1

So, I've been swimming a bit but not really realising the improvements I've been making. I took a couple of months off swimming due to holidays and being able to run again, but got back into some solid sessions in September. I decided 2 weeks ago to try and see how I'd go on a 1km build from a warm up. Was super surprised to get a 15:22 - only the last 400m was I really thinking about pushing it.

Last Wed, I decided to do a 400m TT. Warmed up, drills etc and did the 400m from a dive and was soooooo thrilled to get 5:45! That's an adult PB! I'm now thinking that I should be well able to break that elusive 15min barrier that eluded me (by fractions of a second) in May.

I have to credit this new found speed with the split fartlek 4x100s sets recommended to me here, along with 10x100s at speed, with 30s rests, mixed with 400s and paddle work.

That is for the advice guys :)

Do warm up, drills as per above and then a 1km TT - five times every second or third day. I reckon given that 5:45 400M TT you'll get under 15 mins by the third go at a 1km TT!

Good work )

• Like 1

Do warm up, drills as per above and then a 1km TT - five times every second or third day. I reckon given that 5:45 400M TT you'll get under 15 mins by the third go at a 1km TT!

Good work )

Agreed.

Head off on the TT at 2:55ish for the first 200m then settle in to 1:30's and just try to keep that 5 seconds you have up your sleeve. If you've still got it at 1200m, you'll romp it in.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Head off on the TT at 2:55ish for the first 200m then settle in to 1:30's and just try to keep that 5 seconds you have up your sleeve. If you've still got it at 1200m, you'll romp it in.

I think you mean at the 800M mark, lol ... also I'd practice starting off with a 2:50 first 200M then hold 3minutes for each of the remaining four 200M splits. Edited by Andrew #1

I think you mean at the 800M mark, lol ... also I'd practice starting off with a 2:50 first 200M then hold 3minutes for each of the remaining four 200M splits.

Yeh. Dopey me. I keep thinking of 1500m swims. #oldschoolOD

Don't worry, I got it ;-P it was the plan - 1:25, 1:30s, then a 1:28 and a sprint finish. I have the watch calibrated to beep every 1:30

Funny thing is that when I do eg. 10x100m, they seem to get faster as I go. 1:28s down to 1:24s. I know, I know a 1000m straight up is not the same...

I'll try and do this this week, but depends on weather - if good, I'll be out on the bike, if bad, I'll be fresh for a good hit out. First time or bust I say!

IMO - lol - before the lactic acid starts to accumulate you have some 'free' speed in the first three minutes or so of a (sub) 15 minute swim TT & you should practice learning how to use it without digging yourself into a hole. Look how the Olympic elites swim a 1500. No one swims it like Salnikov used to (15 x 59.5 second 100M splits). These days they take it out in sub 3:50 for the first 400M before slipping into there metronomic 59 plus per 100 splits. That's why I suggested going out in 2:50 for the first 200M. Believe me, it may feel like you are going to vomit by 700M but with a few cracks at it your body and mind will adjust.

Agreed.

Yep, it works.

I haven't done a 1km TT this season, but figure I should be able to go just under 15min. At squad this morning, our 2nd set was 3 x 800m, the first & 3rd timed, and the 2nd as 8 x 100m on lessening breaks. I figured I'd use the first TT to gauge where I was. I was well warmed up (1.5km), then had a small first set of 20 x 25m. I took the advice above, and swam 1:25 for the first 100m, then hit 1:30 each 100m after that. I was starting to tire at 600m, and probably lost 1 or 2 seconds that 100, but came home in 11:55. I think if it had been a 1km TT I would still have hung on, but may have been closer to a 14:59.

The last 800m was a bit slower, but certainly not as bad as I thought it would be. :)

I did that TT today.

1:25 for the first 100. Then settled in to constant 1:29 to 1:31 and stayed between 5 and 7 seconds up on my 15 minute pace. Got to 800 with 7 seconds up my sleeve, started to struggle but held on for 14:55.

Was wrapped after it, as I had already swum 1km W/U then 16 x 75m on 1:15.

• Like 5

I'm not sure how but I accidently did 16.42 this morning (for me, 14.30 would be achievable with a good quality 6 months of 4 swims a week). Plan was to head to manly for the B&B open water but it's windy as fark in Sydney. Headed to the pool and did an 800 SKIP warm up then thought what the hell. Left the watch on the end of the pool so I could just swim. First 700 felt great. Last 300 my shoulders were fighting me all the way. Now, they're dead.

I did a 50 as fast as I could (dive entry) for <32. So I could probably swim a bit quicker if I was swim fit.

I did a 50 as fast as I could (dive entry) for <32. So I could probably swim a bit quicker if I was swim fit.

I hate you fast twitch bastards. If I could do a 32 I'd be over the moon. :)

Anyways. too much scotch tonight, so I'm gunna try a TT in the morning seeing as it's not squad. Not sure what distance yet, but either 500m or 1500m. I'll see how I feel after a warm up.

• Like 1

So how much gain/loss do you think you make on your turns ? I cannot get anywhere near your times in the pool but in races I am close.

FM

Nailed it! Knew once I started my warm up that I had it in the bag as it all felt so fluid and easy. Nice improvement from 15:00 at the end of April.

14:43:72

• Like 3

Nailed it! Knew once I started my warm up that I had it in the bag as it all felt so fluid and easy. Nice improvement from 15:00 at the end of April.

Congratulations ;)

What were your 200M splits ...

• Like 1

Well done Bogfrog.

• Like 1

Congratulations ;)

What were your 200M splits ...

How do post a pic? Screenshot of the splits?

Anyway, the 100s were 1:23, 1:28, 1:29, 1:30, 1:30, 1:29, 1:28, 1:31, 1:30, 1:26

From a dive... I could've gone a bit faster I think. Two things went wrong. My swim cap slowly slipped off my head but remained attached by my goggles and ended up being a balloon gathering water as I swam the last 200m.

Second, my stroke turned to shit from about 700m. I started to breathe right side only as opposed to bilateral with a few right sides. I could feel it going, but I just needed to air. Not sure how to fix this as it happens in races too obviously...

• Like 1

Very solid! well done.

• Like 1

Second, my stroke turned to shit from about 700m. I started to breathe right side only as opposed to bilateral with a few right sides. I could feel it going, but I just needed to air. Not sure how to fix this as it happens in races too obviously...

Fix what? Nothing wrong with switching from bi-lateral to every 2 strokes. I'd swim a mix of every 2, every 3 and every 4 depending on distance and how rooted I am.

• Like 1

Fix what? Nothing wrong with switching from bi-lateral to every 2 strokes. I'd swim a mix of every 2, every 3 and every 4 depending on distance and how rooted I am.

Agree with that.

For a 200m I'd breath every 4, then probably every 5 or 6 for the last 50, & maybe not at all for the last 15m.

For a 1km, I settle in to every 3, but by 800m I'm breathing every 2. It just shows you've worked hard & have to breath a bit harder.

15:56 this morning. Wrapped.

Thought I was going to pass out at the end

• Like 2

Fix what? Nothing wrong with switching from bi-lateral to every 2 strokes. Â I'd swim a mix of every 2, every 3 and every 4 depending on distance and how rooted I am.

But I could feel my stroke going to shit. If I had been able to keep to bilateral, it would have evened me out. I can never breathe every 4 or more strokes. 3 is my limit! Little lungs? Also find breathing easier when I swim with paddles - slower stoke I guess.

How do post a pic? Screenshot of the splits?

Anyway, the 100s were 1:23, 1:28, 1:29, 1:30, 1:30, 1:29, 1:28, 1:31, 1:30, 1:26

From a dive... I could've gone a bit faster I think. Two things went wrong. My swim cap slowly slipped off my head but remained attached by my goggles and ended up being a balloon gathering water as I swam the last 200m.

So that means you went out in 2:51 for the first 200m - good move!

I'm impressive with your back end - only one 100m split over 1:30

I reckon you should have another few cracks at this - as your body gets used to being on this threshold for 15 minutes you'll end up shaving another 15 seconds off that time easily!

:)

I'm impressive with your back end

Yeah, so's my husband ;-P

But seriously, how often do you think these should be done? I did this after having a rest day the day before, so that probably helped - but is unlikely to happen again...

• Like 1

What do you reckon a touch turn costs? I swim in a 25yd pool so it is 44 laps. I'm no where near you lot with my most recent being 17:45. I'd be happy with 16:xx by Feb 17.