Peter

December 2015 Swim Challenge (1k TT)

Posted Today, 07:06 AM

This thread seems to have gone zero dark thirty.

Saving up that last pool visit for a big one.

I have been doing 2 or 3km at the dam most days, though have had the last 2 off. For the first time in 25 years, my arms, shoulders & lat's have that "F..k-off, we're trying to have a break" ache about them, and I like it.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Saving up that last pool visit for a big one.

I have been doing 2 or 3km at the dam most days, though have had the last 2 off. For the first time in 25 years, my arms, shoulders & lat's have that "F..k-off, we're trying to have a break" ache about them, and I like it.

Need to start doing some butterfly ex...

Kicked out of the pool at 600m because of "the chance of lightning strikes".

Seems like there is some miniscule risk of swimming during a lightning storm: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2263/is-lightning-really-that-dangerous-to-swimmers, but surely the light towers at the corners of the pool would attract the lightning...

Anyway 600m in 11:05. That's what, 15-something for 1km right...

Kicked out of the pool at 600m because of "the chance of lightning strikes".

Seems like there is some miniscule risk of swimming during a lightning storm: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2263/is-lightning-really-that-dangerous-to-swimmers, but surely the light towers at the corners of the pool would attract the lightning...

Anyway 600m in 11:05. That's what, 15-something for 1km right...

We get this a few times a year, the slightest chance of a storm, the outdoor pool is closed because of "the chance of lightning strikes". I'd like to know how many people have actually been killed by lightening whilst doing laps.

We get this a few times a year, the slightest chance of a storm, the outdoor pool is closed because of "the chance of lightning strikes". I'd like to know how many people have actually been killed by lightening whilst doing laps.

None, cause they kick you out before it happens.

None, cause they kick you out before it happens.

You mean they don't just do it to ruin my training program or so they can go home early. .? ?

You mean they don't just do it to ruin my training program or so they can go home early. .?

Just one of those "lateral benefits" they talk about.

My squad has been kicked out early due to storms twice in the last 2 weeks. Last time I made sure I was last one out and I stood in the shallow end with my arms raised just begging to get hit by lightning. I didn't.

Dunno where you guys are talking about precisely but there was actual tornados in Sydney today. Roxii has a sun roof apparently ...

Perhaps closing the pool wasn't such a bad idea ...

My squad has been kicked out early due to storms twice in the last 2 weeks. Last time I made sure I was last one out and I stood in the shallow end with my arms raised just begging to get hit by lightning. I didn't.

Naked, screaming obscenities up at the sky? I like it.

• Like 1

I always drag the kids out of our pool if there's storms about. Admittedly we're in a hotspot. In our street, 2 houses and 1 tree have been hit in the past month.

Then again, there haven't been any pools hit that I know of.

2.5km this morning. This is the wrong thread, but that makes 51km in 47 days.

I even went to the pool yesterday afternoon with the intention of doing a couple of km, but the manager was taking the opportunity to close early as it was empty as I was turning up. I didn't have the heart to make her stay, but I did inquire about a 6 month pass. Works out at $8.50 a week. I think that'll be me from January. That should get rid of this feeling of "enjoying swimming". :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

14.35 this morning on the back of a 6 pack last night, heading the right way both in reduction of beer and times! Who would have thunk it that there is a correlation there.

Might have to reduce the 500m warm up, at 7.36 it might have been a bit quick.

Pacing a work in progress, went too hard first 200m.

• Like 1

14.35 this morning on the back of a 6 pack last night, heading the right way both in reduction of beer and times! Who would have thunk it that there is a correlation there.

Listen to it...

Listen to it...

Taken me about 15 years but I finally have a stalker on trannies.

Might to have to have 5 beers tonight and do another TT in the pool tomorrow now.

Seriously Tryline, just PM me if me posting on a thread about trying to improve one's TT over a month, like others, is an issue for you. I will stop the posts.

Taken me about 15 years but I finally have a stalker on trannies.

Might to have to have 5 beers tonight and do another TT in the pool tomorrow now.

Seriously Tryline, just PM me if me posting on a thread about trying to improve one's TT over a month, like others, is an issue for you. I will stop the posts.

You can post as much as u want about improving.

Just don't think ppl want to hear " yeah bud, sunk a sixy last night, off tap, smoked a 14 min in the pool" when half of the posters here would love to get close to those times.

Nothing wrong with friendly competition but if makes you feel better then each to their own.

Then why didn't you say that in the first place rather than be smart about it?

Also, when did you get elected spokesperson for others on here?

When I see some bike and run times posted, as much as I say I would like to get close to those times, I have nothing but admiration for those that can, and I like seeing people improving and laying down smoking times.

Now having said that, I do take your point, and just for you, I'll post a time nothing more.

Jeez, we are both happy now, great time of year for it. Merry Xmas Tryline!

Then why didn't you say that in the first place rather than be smart about it?

Also, when did you get elected spokesperson for others on here?

When I see some bike and run times posted, as much as I say I would like to get close to those times, I have nothing but admiration for those that can, and I like seeing people improving and laying down smoking times.

Now having said that, I do take your point, and just for you, I'll post a time nothing more.

Jeez, we are both happy now, great time of year for it. Merry Xmas Tryline!

Dude you sound like my wife. Going to the opposite extreme.

Given this post talks about less beer and faster times I'd say well done. Esp given the who'd a thunk comment

Having said that. I hate you. Jealous some.

Having swam a recent 1KM TT with a stinking hangover and understanding how painful it was, I think anyone attempting a 1KM after a skinful should be commended.

Having swam a recent 1KM TT with a stinking hangover and understanding how painful it was, I think anyone attempting a 1KM after a skinful should be committed.

Fixed that for ya! :)

I'm gonna try the beer method. The caramel skinny chai latte with no froth method isn't working for me. Think there's gotta be at least a minute in the beer method.

• Like 1

Having swam a recent 1KM TT with a stinking hangover and understanding how painful it was, I think anyone attempting a 1KM after a skinful should be commended.

How about 46x100s after a skinful? Did that this morning in Trent Grimsey's xmas 100x100s. Longest swim and biggest week (10km) since May.

Come on Andrew - time's ticking away. 14:59.99 or better before we see 2016. Less Xmas cheer and more attempts to hit your target. Where are you at now....roughly 30sec shy? You in a SC or LC pool?

Come on Andrew - time's ticking away. 14:59.99 or better before we see 2016. Less Xmas cheer and more attempts to hit your target. Where are you at now....roughly 30sec shy? You in a SC or LC pool?

15:33 at my last attempt 9 days ago.

Since then I've swum 3 x Vladswim squads and a few opens water swims this past week - as per the 'plan' - open water swimming on Nth Straddie until Xmas (although may go to Dunwich 25m pool for a session if I can be bothered.

Daily cracks at 1km TT from Boxing Day - hopefully be under 15 minutes by New Years Eve but I won't stop until I get there no matter what.

I think it will be a close run thing!

Oh -50M outdoor pool

;)

Edited by Andrew #1

How about 46x100s after a skinful? Did that this morning in Trent Grimsey's xmas 100x100s. Longest swim and biggest week (10km) since May.

That's pretty impressive. However I may be able to trump that. The 10km Coogee open water swim, which I registered for has been postponed due to water pollution and is now on Dec 27th, day after a big pool party I'm planning on attending. I'm taking my trusty frozen margarita machine! Could be interesting.. running 10km with a raging hangover I can do, not sure about swimming 10km though..

15:33 at my last attempt 9 days ago.

Since then I've swum 3 x Vladswim squads and a few opens water swims this past week - as per the 'plan' - open water swimming on

I think it will be a close run thing!

Oh -50M outdoor pool

;)

What pool are you doing the vlad swims at ? Edited by Mjainoz

I'm out

:(

After doing a couple of solid weeks in the pool since my last TT effort - followed by a week of open water surf swimming I woke up on Boxing Day ... with a summer cold. Puffy eye, sore throat, running nose & ear ache. I'm not so stupid as to do an au bloc session in this condition ...

FRACK!!!

I'm out

:(

After doing a couple of solid weeks in the pool since my last TT effort - followed by a week of open water surf swimming I woke up on Boxing Day ... with a summer cold. Puffy eye, sore throat, running nose & ear ache. I'm not so stupid as to do an au bloc session in this condition ...

FRACK!!!

Sorry to hear that Andrew. I haven't managed to do a TT since my 15:21 on the 11th, as I hurt my back & didn't swim for a week, then thought I'd hop in fresh & do a good one on Xmas eve, only to find the pool had closed for the holidays the night before. I'm swimming in the dam most days now, and will try to pop out a sub 15 first day back in the NY.

And just to make things even more interesting, I got a half year pass to the local pool for Xmas, beginning next week. No more excuses now. I may even splurge & do a couple of squad sessions with them, though I think it may hurt a bit too much for an old softy like me.

• Like 1

Well sort of running out of Dec swim days but my 1k time was down to 16:30 today so 2:30 improvement this month (which was 4 min better than 1 November....).

Be nice to take another 2:30 off in Jan but I don't think the shoulder is healing quite that fast......

Wish the running would improve at the same rate :( but have dropped 3kg in past three weeks so if the weight keeps dropping the running will follow shortly.

Edited by trifun
  • Like 1

Nice. I was hoping to make either Trent or Cody's session for that but away on holidays. I've never swum that distance before. Would've been interesting. Maybe next year ... no ... we will be away again. Maybe they can do it out of school holidays? !

There are other 100x100s around Brisbane during the year. Red Dog do 1 in July and I know UQ do 1 although I can't remember when maybe someone else knows?

I'm in. Starting with a 16:45 today. Hoping for sub 16.

Didn't spend as much time in the pool as planned but still managed to achieve my goal with a 15:50, thanks mostly to better pacing.

Sub 15 looking achievable in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 1

8hrs swimming from Dec 1, messed up and only swam a 900m TT today but it was on track for the exact same time of 17:55. I think I should increase swim time and reduce running, my weekly run and bike volume this block was averaging about 13hrs per week. I could possibly do some drills, of course which drills and whether I'm doing them correctly is always a point of contention and one of the reasons I generally avoid them.

There are other 100x100s around Brisbane during the year. Red Dog do 1 in July and I know UQ do 1 although I can't remember when maybe someone else knows?

UQ is in August on a Sunday so not in school hols ? Always a very large turnout with lanes running from (I think) 1:30 through to 2.00.
  • Like 1

UQ is in August on a Sunday so not in school hols ? Always a very large turnout with lanes running from (I think) 1:30 through to 2.00.

1:40s so its 100 100s on 100 seconds.

1:40s so its 100 100s on 100 seconds.

That brings back one of the worst memories of my life. Try climbing a TV tower after you've done that. Cramps at 300ft is not pleasant.

and will try to pop out a sub 15 first day back in the NY.

Just couldn't do it. Turned up to christen the new pass today, and try for that elusive 15min. It was all looking good until 600m when I started doing 1:30+ hundreds. I had a few seconds up my sleeve, but even with a 43sec final fifty, I came in at 15:04. :(:(:(

I'll try again next week after a few days of 100m reps to build the intensity I didn't get in the dam.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2