beginnergirl

USA shootings and gun laws

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

True

But when they receive over thirty warnings about somebody and do nothing I think it's fair to ask a few questions

True. But shouldn't the police get warnings? 

Also trump removing funding for mental illness doesn't help

1 hour ago, Peter said:

True. But shouldn't the police get warnings? 

The outrageously inept Police response in Florida is another matter altogether

Also trump removing funding for mental illness doesn't help

Trump suggested that mental health measures should be looked at after Florida, and was pilloried for it

You can't have it both ways

Edited by IronJimbo

The outrageously inept Police response in Florida is another matter altogether

I am not convinced that having a shoot out in the middle of the school would have made matters better.

In the interest of full disclosure I have never owned a gun and have never been a member of the NRA.

How about you IronJimbo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

In the interest of full disclosure I have never owned a gun and have never been a member of the NRA.

How about you IronJimbo?

Same on both counts 

2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I am not convinced that having a shoot out in the middle of the school would have made matters better.

I'm not convinced that matters could have been much worse than having the cops standing around outside doing nothing 

Ironjimbo vs the world (well, at least trannies)  ;)

Who's right and who's wrong, IJ or about everyone else?

I reckon I'm right.  Luckily opinions are like arse holes, we all have one :)

I can't see how the police will know who the active shooter is when a whole army of teachers are running around with guns in the school as well.   Just so f....n stupid. 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1

the nra have fired back with comments that abortions should be stopped. Nothing about 14k kids killed by guns. 

America is so farked up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Prince said:

I can't see how the police will know who the active shooter is when a whole army of teachers are running around with guns in the school as well.   Just so f....n stupid. 

Assuming that the would-be perpetrator is not deterred by the knowledge that there are weapons on campus ready to return fire, I would imagine that the police would be able to identify a dead guy lying next to an AR15 quickly enough

In any case, if the effectiveness of an AR15 vs a handgun is a reason not to arm teachers, then what do you call an AR15 vs nothing?

..... too far a step away from nothing vs nothing....

Nothing vs nothing, while obviously ideal, is not realistic

Which currently leaves us with sitting ducks

Meanwhile the shooter in Florida has refused to submit a guilty plea today, unless the prosecution takes the death penalty off the table, which they refuse to do so he has pleaded not guilty (or at least the Judge had to on his behalf).  First case of it's type where a full drawn out court case, likely to be played out on national tv, is going to be run along side the whole gun debate.

Time for Trump and co to realise this debate is not going to slip into the night silently like all the other cases before it

Yesterday a large number of students from across the US walked out of class to protest gun violence. Next week there is "March for our Lives" organised by students to protest gun violence.

I hope that this is a turning point. Perhaps the generation which has grown up going to school fearful of a mass shooting will be able to enact effective change at some point in the future.

21 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Same on both counts 

I can confirm that watching warm-blooded things die through a telescopic sight is over-rated when you grow up a bit.

Which currently leaves us with sitting ducks

You're still a sitting duck when it comes to Glock 9mm vs AR15.....unless you give 55yo Mrs Brown the chemistry teacher an AR15 also, then I guarantee she is going to hit half a dozen kids before she hits the nutcase with the gun....if she even has the Kahoonas to pull the trigger in the first place.  Most teachers just don't want to kill people (ok except maybe for our teacher friend who had her handbag stolen from the staff room last week, & then had to hear about all her hard-earned buying lots of dope up at the Mish :rolleyes:. Probably lucky she is not packing an AR15).

3 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Yesterday a large number of students from across the US walked out of class to protest gun violence. Next week there is "March for our Lives" organised by students to protest gun violence.

I hope that this is a turning point. Perhaps the generation which has grown up going to school fearful of a mass shooting will be able to enact effective change at some point in the future.

I think if it will happen, it will be when this generation of kids are the ones in power and able to make the change.  So 20 to 40 years...

14 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Cool

Did they come up with any realistic solutions or was it just another mass virtue signal?

12 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I can confirm that watching warm-blooded things die through a telescopic sight is over-rated when you grow up a bit.

Okay...

You're still a sitting duck when it comes to Glock 9mm vs AR15.....unless you give 55yo Mrs Brown the chemistry teacher an AR15 also, then I guarantee she is going to hit half a dozen kids before she hits the nutcase with the gun....if she even has the Kahoonas to pull the trigger in the first place.  Most teachers just don't want to kill people (ok except maybe for our teacher friend who had her handbag stolen from the staff room last week, & then had to hear about all her hard-earned buying lots of dope up at the Mish

:rolleyes:. Probably lucky she is not packing an AR15).

I am not suggesting that all teachers should be armed

Perhaps you should try clarifying my opinion before trying to ridicule it

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Okay...

I'm really really sorry, but it's hard not to for some I guess.  You say we should clarify your position before ridiculing it, and that not all teachers should be armed! So that pretty clearly indicates that you think some teachers should be armed....  Which ones?  Are there some statistics somewhere that indicate which classes are most likely to be attacked so just those teachers?  What if an attack occurs on the other side of the campus?

If they are going to arm anyone on campuses, it should only be police officers or armed uniformed security guards.

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Okay...

I think you need a rest from this topic until the next mass shooting. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think you need a rest from this topic until the next mass shooting. ;) 

I'm sure that would indeed make life a fair bit easier for you guys