beginnergirl

USA shootings and gun laws

19 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Not hard to do, given the amount of misinformation out there as I said

Regardless of the information or misinformation the number of deaths cant be argued and they need to do something, but it seems they simply see these numerous deaths as the "price of freedom" 

12 minutes ago, roxii said:

Regardless of the information or misinformation the number of deaths cant be argued and they need to do something, but it seems they simply see these numerous deaths as the "price of freedom" 

Unfortunately misinformation means that even the number of deaths can in fact be argued

For example, there were reports that Florida was the '18th school shooting in the first 45 days of 2018.'  What those reports didn't mention was that those other 17 incidents included things like a man shooting himself in a former school's parking lot, a third grader pulling the trigger on a cop's gun on school grounds resulting in no injuries, and some suicides.  Only three students shot by others died

How can we expect them to solve the problem when they can't even agree on what the actual problem is?

The does seem to be one common factor in all those incidents...

24 minutes ago, goughy said:

The does seem to be one common factor in all those incidents...

Yep

In the last two high-profile incidents (Texas church and Florida school), the common factor seems to be the authorities dropping the ball

Yep, the ball has been dropped for a long long time by the govt by allowing people who don't need them to own guns.

35 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yep, the ball has been dropped for a long long time by the govt by allowing people who don't need them to own guns.

How do you define 'people who don't need them?'

I would suggest a fair percentage would point to the recent failures of the FBI and police and say 'that's why I need them'

We can keep two'ing and fro'ing forever if you like.  I ain't winning a discussion with you and you aren't winning one with me ;)

:)

OT: but funny listening to Bob Katter going off about gun control in Queensland, calling us the most restrictive, over controlled nanny state in the world (including North Korea, which he said is in a different class than us), as he is pushing for relaxing of gun control.  His son in law is one of the largest firearms importers in Aus (I gather) and also donates a lot of money to the Katter party..... No conflict of interest there.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

How do you define 'people who don't need them?'

I would suggest a fair percentage would point to the recent failures of the FBI and police and say 'that's why I need them'

Not to mention the return of the English, aliens and large vermin. 

Thats just a bullshit excuse to not let go of your penis extension. 

• Like 2

38% of American gun owners are female Roxii

I'm guessing most of them would have other reasons for ownership than penis size

Edited by IronJimbo

11 minutes ago, roxii said:

Penis envy. 

Well there is an operation for that I suppose 

Do yiu think if they offered all those women reassignment surgery they would be happy to give up their guns?

21 hours ago, roxii said:

They seem to be paranoid that the government or authorities are going to turn against them hence why they need to protect themselves. it is just a very sad culture and unfortunately every time one of these mass shootings happen, gun sales increase. So i will guarantee that their will be more mass shootings and gun deaths in years to come. The only very faint hope is the next generation. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many road rage incidents in the USA end with guns. 

At least here it's usually a middle finger or a punch to the head. 

If people had guns in cars they would have to lose their shit and shoot someone you'd think. 

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

If people had guns in cars they would have to lose their shit and shoot someone you'd think. 

Haven't you seen the thread on Slowtwitch about which gun to carry on rides...? Variables include stoppabilty, easily carried/concealed and carbon parts where possible

Edited by pieman
Edit
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Yeah. I can just imagine where the one on TV yesterday where the guy kicked the door of the Mercedes, then got up and jumped up & down on the bonnet could have ended if both parties were packing.

Maybe there's less road rage because they have guns. Nobody wants to start something.

On 3/6/2018 at 5:38 AM, IronJimbo said:

Automatic weapons have been banned in the US since 1986

Regulations are in place, and as I said could be further strengthened.  But as the last couple of incidents show, regulations are useless if they are not enforced

However semi automatic weapons can still be purchased. In most states there is no restriction on the size of magazine that can be purchased. It is reasonably easy to build your own "bump" stock to turn your semi automatic into an automatic.

The Port Arthur massacre was with a semi automatic rifle. Semi automatic weapons are banned in Australia and should be banned in the US.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

However semi automatic weapons can still be purchased. In most states there is no restriction on the size of magazine that can be purchased. It is reasonably easy to build your own "bump" stock to turn your semi automatic into an automatic.

Which is why despite my support for a ban on bump stocks, I'm not sure how they would,d be able to police it

The Port Arthur massacre was with a semi automatic rifle. Semi automatic weapons are banned in Australia and should be banned in the US.

The vast majority of rifles in the the US are semi-automatic, so I can't see fhat happening 

Let's say they did an Australian-style buyback though, at say, $250 per gun with the same takeup rate as we had 

At the end of it they would have 200 million guns left on the streets, a bill for $25 billion and not much else

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Which is why despite my support for a ban on bump stocks, I'm not sure how they would,d be able to police it

The vast majority of rifles in the the US are semi-automatic, so I can't see fhat happening 

Let's say they did an Australian-style buyback though, at say, $250 per gun with the same takeup rate as we had 

At the end of it they would have 200 million guns left on the streets, a bill for $25 billion and not much else

Where are you getting your statistics from the NRA web site?

The Australian buy back reduced the total number of guns by about 30% or 650,000 guns. The ban and buy back only applied to automatic and semi automatic. The other roughly 70% of guns were not covered by the ban. I can not find any statistics on how many semi automatic guns were not handed in. Do you have any?

I have seen estimates of there being between 250 and 300 million guns in the US. Approximately 50% or these are semi automatic hand guns and rifles. So at worst you would have to buy back ~150 million guns @ $250 = $37 billion. US tax payers pay a total of $1.23 trillion in taxes in a year. Increasing the tax rate by less than 1% for a single year would buy back all of the semi automatics. Seems cheap to me.

Edited by Ironnerd
Added the word trillion

Latest NRA talk point:

"We're all told not to judge all muslims by the actions of a few, yet we're told to treat all gun owners the same"

They're getting a bit smarter, but doubt they will have anything to say once the 24th March rolls around