beginnergirl

USA shootings and gun laws

On 01/03/2018 at 9:56 AM, roxii said:

So one store is taking the step to stop selling certain guns to certain people. 

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/03/01/06/42/florida-school-shooting-dicks-sporting-goods-assault-rifles

Wonder how long before the NRA brings a law suit against them for some sort of violation of freedom of rights. 

REI just stopped stocking Giro, Camelback and a few other brands, parent company sells a gazillion weapons and ammo.

9 hours ago, Parkside said:

REI just stopped stocking Giro, Camelback and a few other brands, parent company sells a gazillion weapons and ammo.

Hang on. What?

10 hours ago, Parkside said:

Outdoor sales group in America.

REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor

REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we’ve seen such action from companies like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.” 

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that.

• Like 5

Kind of makes me wish I didn't own any Camelbak products. I guess it doesn't matter as we're in Australia.

16 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

Kind of makes me wish I didn't own any Camelbak products. I guess it doesn't matter as we're in Australia.

Same but Giro.

Seems a little sad that they have to resort to an economic argument, when the number of innocent lives lost simply isnt enough of a motivator. 

• Like 1

I saw Walmart has stopped selling guns to people under 21.

Shame they couldn't stop all together selling guns.

Just show's that people making the decisions, only care about the $ and not lives.  Well not other peoples lives.

An NRA board member has blamed the sympathy factor of kids getting killed for the possibility of gun control laws passing.

Sounds like a pretty damn good reason for passing gun laws if you ask me?  

I like the idea of banning bump stocks and the like, although I'm not sure how effective that would be.  In a country where automatic weapons are banned it doesn't make sense to allow devices which allow automatic fire

Clearly access to guns by the mentally ill is a serious problem, and is a dicey legal area which needs to be looked at

A Port-Arthur style scheme would have little if any effect whatsoever in the states though

You're never gonna get all the guns.  It needs to be little steps.  Automatic weapons and bump stocks etc etc are the way to go.  No one, and I mean no one in the general public, needs weapons like those.  

Automatic weapons have been banned in the US since 1986

Regulations are in place, and as I said could be further strengthened.  But as the last couple of incidents show, regulations are useless if they are not enforced

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Regulations are in place, and as I said could be further strengthened.  But as the last couple of incidents show, regulations are useless if they are not enforced

Really?  I never knew that. 

So all the automatic guns are illegal? 

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I think any weapon made prior to '86 can still be owned, and sold, as long as you, and then the new buyer have paid your $200 registration tax.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think any weapon made prior to '86 can still be owned, and sold, as long as you, and then the new buyer have paid your $200 registration tax.

And are registered with the local authorities, and pass a whole bunch more background checks, and can afford to buy the thing in the first place since scarcity has made them prohibitively expensive...

Florida passed legislation today banning sales of guns to anyone under 21.  So now those planning a school shooting need to go to Georgia first, or just pick up one lying around as they don't have any securing requirements on the guns.

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

Really?  I never knew that. 

So all the automatic guns are illegal? 

That's the thing about this whole 'debate' - there is so much misinformation out there that people are proposing 'common sense laws' when they don't even know what their starting point is.  Suggestions that you can waltz into a sports shop and buy a machine gun are nonsensical

Unfortunately the debate has also been hampered by a fair bit of virtue signalling

It may not be an assault rifle but even so. It's a strange world we live in if this is true.

I didn't watch the vid, but looking at the still image I'm thinking that's at a gun show.  Aren't they much less regulated, including things like id checks and waiting periods?

6 minutes ago, goughy said:

I didn't watch the vid, but looking at the still image I'm thinking that's at a gun show.  Aren't they much less regulated, including things like id checks and waiting periods?

Well no, sonce the vast majority of vendors at gun shows are licensed dealers who are required to do a background check with the FBI

Incidentally a survey by the justice department in 2001 found that only 0.7% of convicted felons hought their weapons at a gun show 

So the so-called 'gun show loophole' is a bit of a myth

So I was mythtaken!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

So I was mythtaken!

Not hard to do, given the amount of misinformation out there as I said

• Like 1