Jump to content
beginnergirl

USA shootings and gun laws

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I would have thought that "how could three lives have been saved" would be a pretty good question...

How could four have been saved?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parkie I don't know why you bother.  He is a total ****wit.  Put the dickhead on block.  

This is all I see now.  I do know that he is still being a total ****wit, I just don't need to read it.

 

p.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Parkside said:

So it's a yes from you then? You advocate teachers being armed to engage active shooters? State your position in as many words as you like if you can't be succinct.

For the record I say "NO"

 

As I said before, I am supportive of teachers being armed if they choose to be and are proficient 

That's because an armed teacher is far more likely to be able to stop a shooter than an unarmed teacher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

How could four have been saved?????

By the shooter's father not being criminally negligent, as I said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An armed teachers’ gun can be used to kill many more innocent people than an unarmed teachers’ whiteboard eraser. More guns = more gun deaths would seem to be the statistic that jumps out at anybody not drinking NRA koolaid. 

From what I’ve read the “John Q Public marksman taking down active mass shooter” theory is a furphy. 

I’m just not clear where it stops. Arm the teachers, nurses, doctors, movie ushers, bus drivers, heck let’s arm the entire public service. No nut bars in any of those profession. Dagnabit, forgot the postal workers, load them up as well. America will never be a safer place not to visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the "old lady who swallowed a fly" theory Parky. 

I didn't get to the end of that book but I'm sure it ends well.  :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Parkside said:

An armed teachers’ gun can be used to kill many more innocent people than an unarmed teachers’ whiteboard eraser. More guns = more gun deaths would seem to be the statistic that jumps out at anybody not drinking NRA koolaid. 

From what I’ve read the “John Q Public marksman taking down active mass shooter” theory is a furphy. 

I’m just not clear where it stops. Arm the teachers, nurses, doctors, movie ushers, bus drivers, heck let’s arm the entire public service. No nut bars in any of those profession. Dagnabit, forgot the postal workers, load them up as well. America will never be a safer place not to visit.

I don't think a teacher throwing a whiteboard eraser would stop a shooter as effectively as a teacher with a handgun parky.  It would be marginally more effective than an unarmed teacher though,  I'll give you that

There have been several recent examples of citizens stopping shooters, but if you have evidence that these situations are 'furphies' I'd be curious to see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't think a teacher throwing a whiteboard eraser would stop a shooter as effectively as a teacher with a handgun parky.

You obviously never went to a Marist Brothers School   :lol1: :lookaround:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, nine people are dead after a nutjob ran over them with a van in Toronto a coiole of days ago.   Imagine my surprise that it wasn't as interesting as the waffle house despite more than twice as many people being killed

Should we ban all vans or just automatic ones?

Does the Canadian Automobile Association have blood on its hands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Indeed

It's not hard to imagine at least two of the four victims being saved if he had also been armed

Lol. Do you know if this guy can even shoot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, monkie said:

Lol. Do you know if this guy can even shoot?

No

But feel free to pretend that gun owners have no idea how to use guns if you think it supports whatever point you're trying to make

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

In other news, nine people are dead after a nutjob ran over them with a van in Toronto a coiole of days ago.   Imagine my surprise that it wasn't as interesting as the waffle house despite more than twice as many people being killed

Should we ban all vans or just automatic ones?

Does the Canadian Automobile Association have blood on its hands?

You are disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, asmithaxe said:

You are disgusting.

You appear to want to disagree, but are unable to formulate an argument

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No

But feel free to pretend that gun owners have no idea how to use guns if you think it supports whatever point you're trying to make

Yes lets play pretendies

2 accidental shootings at US schools, one by armed teacher, the other by resource officer

http://abcnews.go.com/US/accidental-shootings-us-schools-armed-teacher-resource-officer/story?id=53737703

 

and

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

These deaths consisted of 11,208 homicides, 21,175 suicides, 505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent". Of the 2,596,993 total deaths in the US in 2013, 1.3% were related to firearms.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, asmithaxe said:

You are disgusting.

No he isn't.  He has a mental illness. I'm not joking.  I honestly think he needs professional help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yes lets play pretendies

2 accidental shootings at US schools, one by armed teacher, the other by resource officer

http://abcnews.go.com/US/accidental-shootings-us-schools-armed-teacher-resource-officer/story?id=53737703

 

and

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

These deaths consisted of 11,208 homicides, 21,175 suicides, 505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent". Of the 2,596,993 total deaths in the US in 2013, 1.3% were related to firearms.

 

I did note proficiency as a condition Roxii

How many of those 1.5% of gun deaths happened in schools?  Just the two?

Edited by IronJimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don t know mate, just 2 seconds on google. 

About the same amount of time it takes to unload a semi automatic into a bunch of kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course in an ideal world countermeasures like this wouldn't be necessary.  I'm still yet to hear a realistic alternative suggestion though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have gone beyond a simple quick fix, but adding more guns to the mix is just heading in the wrong direction.

The old saying is "where there is a will there is a way"  and thats what it needs, the will of the people,  which I dont think is possible under the current political climate as the people are too divided about too many things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I did note proficiency as a condition Roxii

 

The teacher that accidentally shot & injured 3 students was giving them a gun safety class. He serves as a reserve police officer with the local force. Let's hope in future they use "proficiency" as one of their conditions when they select people to teach gun safety, or enforce the law?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roxii said:

They have gone beyond a simple quick fix, but adding more guns to the mix is just heading in the wrong direction.

The old saying is "where there is a will there is a way"  and thats what it needs, the will of the people,  which I dont think is possible under the current political climate as the people are too divided about too many things. 

Politics certainly does get in the way, that's for sure

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The teacher that accidentally shot & injured 3 students was giving them a gun safety class. He serves as a reserve police officer with the local force. Let's hope in future they use "proficiency" as one of their conditions when they select people to teach gun safety, or enforce the law?

Do you think this sort of situation would be the norm or the exception?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

I finally figured out who Iron Jimbo is

BaghdadBobComicalAli.jpg

I'm not sure which of my posts you're trying to refute, but I find your choice of argument neither honest nor convincing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Do you think this sort of situation would be the norm or the exception?

Does it really matter? Wouldn't it be better not to have to teach gun safety in schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Does it really matter? Wouldn't it be better not to have to teach gun safety in schools?

Of course it would be.  That goes without saying

But you can't just snap your fingers and make three hundred million guns disappear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Of course it would be.  That goes without saying

But you can't just snap your fingers and make three hundred million guns disappear

No, but how about you only have 290M next year, rather than 310M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

 

No, but how about you only have 290M next year, rather than 310M.

Cool.  So utopia is only 30 years away

Whose guns are you going to take away first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cool.  So utopia is only 30 years away

Or a return to the Wild West, take your pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cool.  So utopia is only 30 years away

Whose guns are you going to take away first?

Piece of piss that one Jimbo.  All the civilians with military-grade guns.  Gun death-rate halved instantly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Piece of piss that one Jimbo.  All the civilians with military-grade guns.  Gun death-rate halved instantly.

 

I think you might need to reconsider where you get your stats from

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Cool.  So utopia is only 30 years away

Whose guns are you going to take away first?

That's like saying that you'll only start running when you do a sub 3hr marathon.

What you really need is the decision to get off the sofa in the first place and that starts with one step.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

No

But feel free to pretend that gun owners have no idea how to use guns if you think it supports whatever point you're trying to make

Was he even a gun owner? I haven't seen any report that he was... And from the stats I would suggest the number of accidental deaths from guns in the US indicates that at least a large proportion of them have no idea how to either keep them safe or use them.

You appear to be deploying an interesting technique here, throwing out ad hominem attacks in defence of your fabricated hypothesis and then demanding a high standard of rhetoric and statistics from anybody who suggests you might be wrong. Interesting but everybody has seen through it I believe.

For the record I am not anti-gun per se. I lived in the countryside in the UK and loads of people had shotguns and rifles, nobody ever got shot though because the weapons were limited and strictly controlled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×