beginnergirl

USA shootings and gun laws

Still a while away, if ever, if you ask me.  This generation of kits need to be in positions of power to actually effect change.  With trumpf leading, heaven help them (and since there is no heaven, they're ****ed).  

3 hours ago, A2K said:

If it's legal to buy an assault rifle is there anything that's not legal to buy?  What about a rocket launcher is that OK? 

Yep. Lawn darts. Responsible for 3 child deaths, and up to 670 injuries per year, so in 1988, they were banned.

https://www.snopes.com/did-u-s-government-ban-lawn-dart-sales/

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

6 hours ago, beginnergirl said:

Joshua O'Connor appeared in court Wednesday to face charges including attempted murder, and according to CNN, did not enter a plea. His bail is set at $5 million USD ($6.3 million AUD).

No matter what the amount, how can you even contemplate letting someone who was planning a school shooting out on bail?

Yep.....  I'm assuming the pic was of where he lived with his grandparents??  Doesn't look like they're coming up with that much bail!  I'm sure that extreme sum was set based on the extreme nature of the case, but why bother setting such a high ridiculous bail for people who don't seem like they could dream of coming up with, rather than just keep him incarcerated?  Not everyone deserves bail.

Just now, Bored@work said:

I love the USA but frk they need to get this shit sorted. 

If only Hillary got in.

She would have done as much about this as Obama did!  (I'm about 99.9% sure you were being sarcastic)

33 minutes ago, goughy said:

She would have done as much about this as Obama did!  (I'm about 99.9% sure you were being sarcastic)

100% sure I wasn't being sarcastic. My friends were big supporters of Hillary & her campaign (had her at their house for dinner etc). My other friends in the USA don't work and lobby for the anti-gun movement full time.  It's interesting to hear how much they respect John Howard for the buy back scheme after Port Arthur. 

• Like 1

Oops, sorry!  I just don't think she would have accomplished any more than Obama did when it comes to gun control!  It looks like much of the current generation of kids are ready for change, but I think it'll take until these kids are the ones in power for that change to happen.  I really hope I'm as wrong about that as I was thinking your comment was in jest.  

Only the youth of America can get these semi automatic weapons banned now.

They are the ones with the power.

There is a massive opportunity for someone young to stand up and be the future of America.

I actually think it will happen now.

Not all guns but certainly semi automatic

Are Yanks really as dumb as they seem, or are we getting a bias sample?

My brother has been in the US skiing and has been asking them about toughening up their gun laws (and he is a hunter/gun owner who thinks the US situation is batshit crazy).  He said the majority say it is just an attempt to take their guns away and restrict their hard-fought freedoms.  He also remarked they don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed.

Then look at the comments online, esp. regarding Aust and our gun laws.  Various paranoia about needing to have guns so the govt can't come and get them, how Aust is still a slave to the Queen, that you can't compare Aust to the US.....

Damn it's disturbing the most powerful nation on the planet seems to have so many unhinged conspiracy theorists....even more of an argument to take away their guns!

32 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Damn it's disturbing the most powerful nation on the planet seems to have so many unhinged conspiracy theorists....even more of an argument to take away their guns!

And that's the general take on it all. The ones who most vehemently argue to keep their guns, are the ones that really need to have them taken off them.

I may be totally wrong here, but aren't the majority (maybe not a huge majority) of Americans ok with more gun control?  I mean, isn't it something like only 30% of households even have a gun?  And even then many of those would be a handgun. But there's too much power and money behind those that want to keep them?

They do realise that while they argue that you can't touch the 2nd amendment, it's actually called an "amendment" because it's an amendment?  So that is something that was changed.

I think it's actually higher.

Last stats I saw (2017) were that 42% of households owned at least one gun.

However, half of all guns in the USA are owned by 3% of the population.

To give some perspective, I'm following a debate on another forum which generally has quite intelligent people and good debate, from many people around the world (The French are leading the calls for the bans more than anyone else interestingly).  Currently it's at 600+ pages over the last 4 months since the Vegas shooting.  The below is a response to show you exactly what the people saying no change are coming from: (Note another post showed facts that more intentional deaths occur in the US with fists and blunt objects than guns, with knives a clear second and asked why the focus is on guns)

"The vast majority of "gun murders" are committed with handguns. Rifles are used in murders less often than people are struck by lightning. That's all kinds of rifles, not just the scary looking ones you all want to ban or restrict so much. The calls for these bans are not about saving lives. These bans are about incremental erosion of gun rights. These bans are about getting ignorantly worded laws in place that will ban far more than they were supposedly intended. These bans are about creating so many accidental felons people won't bother with gun ownership from fear of going to prison for making a small clerical mistake. These bans are about making gun ownership too expensive to legally pursue. All these from people who scream bloody murder if you want to see an ID from a voter."

26 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

To give some perspective, I'm following a debate on another forum which generally has quite intelligent people and good debate, from many people around the world (The French are leading the calls for the bans more than anyone else interestingly).  Currently it's at 600+ pages over the last 4 months since the Vegas shooting.  The below is a response to show you exactly what the people saying no change are coming from: (Note another post showed facts that more intentional deaths occur in the US with fists and blunt objects than guns, with knives a clear second and asked why the focus is on guns)

"The vast majority of "gun murders" are committed with handguns. Rifles are used in murders less often than people are struck by lightning. That's all kinds of rifles, not just the scary looking ones you all want to ban or restrict so much. The calls for these bans are not about saving lives. These bans are about incremental erosion of gun rights. These bans are about getting ignorantly worded laws in place that will ban far more than they were supposedly intended. These bans are about creating so many accidental felons people won't bother with gun ownership from fear of going to prison for making a small clerical mistake. These bans are about making gun ownership too expensive to legally pursue. All these from people who scream bloody murder if you want to see an ID from a voter."

These bans are about getting ignorantly worded laws in place that will ban far more than they were supposedly intended.

This quote is interesting.A poorly worded "law" is teh very loophole they are exploiting.  Isnt it corect that they are using the 2nd amendment which is an antiquated clause being misused and misinterpreted to allow them to believe they have the right to carry rocket launchers and miltrary weapons. 

You'd think by now they'd realise the British ain't coming any more!

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Rifles are used in murders less often than people are struck by lightning.

I'm not going to vouch for the accuracy of this, and the idiot in Cottoneyes post did say "struck by lightning" not killed, but this is from Newspaper today in a story about lightning strikes.

Lightning killed 16 people in 2017, the fewest deaths since accurate records began in 1940, the National Weather Service said. This broke the previous record low of 23, set in 2013, weather service meteorologist John Jensenius said.

That's less than the death toll in 1 school shooting last week.

• Like 1

In comparison to other nations, USA is a land of selfishness and entitlement.

Their concept of "freedom" is warped to the point that the individual believes their personal rights to be more important than those of their community.

People who own guns simply don’t want anyone telling them they shouldn’t or can’t, and all the arguments in defence of it are simply rationalizations of that position. In reality all they are saying is: It’s my right to own a gun, and don’t care what the communal impact of that is.

Changing the gun culture in the USA would require a wider change in communal responsibility, not an easy task.