matto1

Which power meter option

I am looking to progress to racing with a PM. I have a power tap PM on my training wheel in which I use, but the wheel is only a mavic rim and not what I would race on. However I have some race wheels I am confortable with, so what is the best option for a PM purchase. Do I go a crank based meter, pedal based version or purchase a new rear race wheel with a PM. Best options based on reliability and price?

from everything I've seen or read DONT get a stages...

Listen to this person.

Crank based power meters probably are the most reliable and accurate. Presently use a Quarq, would buy again.

2nd hand srm

This

You can pick them up for around $750 to $1k

Bullet proof and the best pm out there

Cheers

Ivp

from everything I've seen or read DONT get a stages...

Some are good

Some are bad , but I think there's more good ones out there than bad

I had one , and it got replace , I sold it to a friend and been no dramas with the new one

Cheers

Ivp

Some are good

Some are bad , but I think there's more good ones out there than bad

I had one , and it got replace , I sold it to a friend and been no dramas with the new one

Cheers

Ivp

You've said it well mate. Theres a hell of a lot of bashing out there towards stages but i know of at least a dozen guys around here that haven't had a single problem and if they did the firmware update fixed everything.

My stages battery lasts two rides on average. So one in three I get no power. Pathetic.

Tell em you want a new stages

They will replace it ,

Cheers

Ivp

172.5mm GXP SRAM Quarq for $800, PM me if interested.

This. Would be good option

Does the p5 have a srm now?

Cheers

Ivp

Guys I have a Stages and apart from the known issues from gen 1 my has been fine.

I have a pretty good relationship with the guys at FE sports and they have been good at answering ALL questions I have asked of them so far. So I asked them if they would like to comment and maybe tell us by the numbers how the current generation are going.

I did mention that in general their CUSTOMER SERVICE had been acknowledged as being very good, but there was still some lingering sentiment possibly from Gen 1 stages owners.

Anyway here is their response in full.

I suppose as a precursor, yes there were acknowledged problems with Gen 1, that is why Gen 2 has been released after a ton of testing with the likes of Gared Graves ( Team Yeti Enduro World Cup Champ) and of course Team Sky.( Gen 2 was used by the team at TDF this year) Craig Alexander (IM legend) plus plenty of others.

The Gen 2 product is ( by the numbers)

· New housing design increases the strength of the battery door and housing interface by 200% (yup 200%)

· Slimmer; Up to 28% lower profile

· Sleeker; 17% reduction in frontal area

Since the intro of Gen 2, we are now seeing well under 0.5% ( yes half a percent) with any problems. In the world of consumer electronics this is amazing. This isn’t a small sample, we have literally put many hundreds into the field in Australia, and the rest of the world are in the same boat.

I’m glad to hear that our service hasn’t been questioned as we really try hard to treat people as we would want to be ( as you know we all ride bikes too).

I think that Stages have done a fantastic job of acknowledging the issues, warranting any problems, learning from the issues and getting the Gen 2 into the field as soon a practicable after lots of testing.

Think back 18 months ago and the number of power meters sold in Australia each month could be counted on one hand, now there are literally thousands. The market was changed by Stages and they know that they need to be best in class in service, back up and performance. An example of this is, did you know that every single meter made is pressure tested under water to ensure that all of the quality protocols are met? Every single one…

Hope this helps you get an understanding of the commitment of both Stages and FE Sports to offering best in class product with Global best back up!

Cheers

Dave

Had a gen 2 stages. Never had a problem. Excellent unit. Moved to power2max now as I'm on rotor cranks. No issues so far apart of a painful installation experience ( too hard to remove the rotor original spider)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 Gen 1 never had any problems except a week ago one of mine cracked near the battery - no prob replaced and got a new one today under warranty and its 1.5years old . So All is good.

Cheap option that works

I've been coaching a bucket load of people of PM's for the past 10 years now. All starting out the with polar model, wires and lining things up perfectly to read accurately, LOL.

from what I have found

SRM = way too expensive and are getting priced out of the market

Quarq = still the most reliable and best overall product in terms of reliability

Powertap = Cheap and are now consistent but lack comparative analysis between PM's, tend to read lower for obvious reasons. Have just brought out a pedal based system but wouldn't touch it.

Pioneer = So far coming out okay with 4 clients I have using them...Liking this one

Stages = will be reliable, IF, you just tape up the battery cover, those things suck, even V2 hasn't improved. They are priced well and if you are new to power, then jump on these. Don't go 2nd though

Pedal based PM's = don't go there yet, but the potential is there

paul

Pioneer has been good for me, but is expensive (just got cheaper I think).

What is the view on Pioneer's warranty that is voided if you race with it?

Alex - what's your feedback on PT pedals?

So far I have no personal experience, nor received data from anyone using them, so my knowledge is restricted to that reported via other online means such as DC Rainmaker's blog and user comments.

Like all new gen products, they'll have their quirks that need ironing out. I've never been a big fan of being an early adopter of such tech because power meter quality, performance and reliability is measured in years, not months.

That said, with a company like Powertap (Saris), I'd be inclined to think they will be a good option and the amount of testing done would have been extensive.

Much harder to know the resources behind some other power meter products. Power meter companies have come and gone over the years and some people have been left with obsolete and unserviceable products, or bought into vapourware, or delayed purchasing their first power meter until X comes out (and X never does or is delayed by years).

My advice is simple:

- when choosing a power meter, purchase the meter with the best quality of data your budget can afford. Quality of data* is is THE most important factor determining what you can use your power meter for. Everything else is a feature.

- buy established reliable products with quality service and support in place if you are unlucky enough to need it (quality of data is zero if you have no data)

* unfortunately though, quality of power meter data is not well understood.

For me I have seen

SRM - had about 6 and have never had a drama apart from one having the wrong slope programmed into it

PowerTap - great for 18 months then bearings etc go. I find them very accurate and consistent esp the g3 and I use to it check my other powermeter readings

Quarq - had it on ergo for 2.5 years, little bit of drift and reads about 10w higher than the SRM at 300w, great unit for the price

Stages - broken 5 I think.......never ever again. 0.5% on Gen 2 !!! well they must have sold 600 without an issue cause I broke 3

havent really used any other but currently have 3 srms, the quarq and a powertap

Bummer

Go again for anther replacement

Cheers

Ivp

Yep, FE want to make sure that everyone gets sorted with their stages. They are not shy on replacing them to ensure everyone is on a good working model.