Tryline

What's Perth or WA like to Live in general?

I used to live in WA. I now live in SA. No way would I go back.

I love to shitcan Adelaide but for cycling from the CBD and the cost of housing, it shits over Perth and the east coast.

Would I move there?

nope. Live 9min to the CBD in Melb and it's great.

Much better than my hour when I was in Sydney

I used to live in WA. I now live in SA. No way would I go back.

Said no person ever.

The lifestyle I live in Adelaide is unattainable in Perth. I have decent sized house in the CBD, 10 minute walk from the office with the excellent Central Markets in between. As a result, I no longer need to own a car which I have found extremely liberating...... and for when I really do need one, the local car-share scheme has a pod within 100 meters of my house. The Adelaide CBD, especially the south-west corner has had a real renaissance over the past few years. There is always cool shit going on and it is cheap and accessible. The Perth CBD is awful, and while there are places out in the suburbs that have a decent vibe, the urban sprawl and traffic put me right off.

Best part of WA is the south-west. I used to love exploring that region on weekends away. But for day to day living, Adelaide trumps Perth. For me, it also trumps Sydney & Melbourne as I would need to be a millionaire to replicate what I love about living here, which sadly I am not.

The lifestyle I live in Adelaide is unattainable in Perth. I have decent sized house in the CBD, 10 minute walk from the office with the excellent Central Markets in between. As a result, I no longer need to own a car which I have found extremely liberating...... and for when I really do need one, the local car-share scheme has a pod within 100 meters of my house. The Adelaide CBD, especially the south-west corner has had a real renaissance over the past few years. There is always cool shit going on and it is cheap and accessible. The Perth CBD is awful, and while there are places out in the suburbs that have a decent vibe, the urban sprawl and traffic put me right off.

Best part of WA is the south-west. I used to love exploring that region on weekends away. But for day to day living, Adelaide trumps Perth. For me, it also trumps Sydney & Melbourne as I would need to be a millionaire to replicate what I love about living here, which sadly I am not.

Yeah I do agree with you there. If it wasn't for the beaches, ocean surf etc I would have left WA long ago. The nightlife is better than it was a few years ago, but still pretty average and pretty rough. Not sure about Adelaide, but Perth has a lot of drunken violence. And the traffic.... almost as bad as London. Rush hour starts at 5.30am and goes through to past 10am.

Edited by zed

I'll Co-sign this and I've lived in Perth 25 years. Very very backwards and if sun and surf ain't your thing it's quite limited. Considering a move to NZ in the next couple of years as it has everything Perth doesn't.

To me, the narrow minded "we are the best" attitude in Perth is our least redeemable attribute, especially as it's mostly propogated by those who have never been anywhere else.

The weather is okay but tbh a lot of summer is too hot to really enjoy the outside if you don't want cancer.

I like the local sprint races though, telstra series gets great participation.

Like with anything, the grass is greener anywhere else and it's not THAT bad but the bad bits will never change in my lifetime. Run by the most retarded premier ever.

• Like 1

I'll Co-sign this and I've lived in Perth 25 years. Very very backwards and if sun and surf ain't your thing it's quite limited. Considering a move to NZ in the next couple of years as it has everything Perth doesn't.

To me, the narrow minded "we are the best" attitude in Perth is our least redeemable attribute, especially as it's mostly propogated by those who have never been anywhere else.

The weather is okay but tbh a lot of summer is too hot to really enjoy the outside if you don't want cancer.

I like the local sprint races though, telstra series gets great participation.

Like with anything, the grass is greener anywhere else and it's not THAT bad but the bad bits will never change in my lifetime. Run by the most retarded premier ever.

It's a place with a lot of potential, but like you said retarded governments have ensured that won't happen. I could think of a lot of better things to spend millions of dollars on other than a new footy stadium.

• Like 1

Plenty of jobs around if you've got skills. Jobs that pay really well.

Summer is hot but winter, autumn and spring are fantastic.

Property market is in a correction and there are bargins to be had.

Peak hour traffic is only a problem if you drive in it. Public transport is good, although nowhere near as good as Melbourne.

Like anywhere, there are good and bad suburbs and good and bad pockets in the same suburb.

Lots of races. Running, cycling, trail etc.

A lot of things are similar to other cities in Aus. Food, music, bars.

• Like 1

Nice!

Know off any sparky jobs!?!?

What places to avoid living in Perth? Crime,no transport, bad area ect,ect.

What sort of hourly rate are you expecting in WA?

Sound like jobs to me!!

If you live in Bangalore and are willing to work for peanuts.

If you live in Bangalore and are willing to work for peanuts.

Too true! Have just spent a month in India visiting my "new" team..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too true! Have just spent a month in India visiting my "new" team..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You outsourcing too?

Just resuscitating this old thread.

I'll be moving to Perth shortly and would appreciate any advice and insights. Although I've visited WA four times, I've spent relatively little time in Perth and I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the city.

I'll be working in South Perth, probably working 7am to 3:30 or hours thereabouts so I should be outside of the worst of commuting hours. I'll be rostered off on alternate Fridays and Tuesdays.

So:

• Where to live? I'm looking to rent a single bedroom unit in a relatively inexpensive area. Is approx $250/week reasonable? Clearly I'm not after anything flash. I enjoy being close to a bit of bush and a few trails but thinking that will be unlikely in Perth without a long commute. Not interested shops, cafes, nightlife.
  • Commuting? Would bike, a little running, public transport be viable, (of course this depends on where I live). I can drive if necessary.
  • What's the ocean swimming scene like? Any regular swim groups on weekends or during the week?
  • Looking forward to joining an old bastards hockey team and doing a little bit of climbing, so if anyone has any insights into either of those scenes, I'd love to hear.
  • Any other advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Perth??  That's a big change!! 

New job? 

Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

• What's the ocean swimming scene like? 

Sharky 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What do you consider a long commute?  The foothills east of Perth could have you in South Perth in under half an hour and will have you close to bush trails.  Anywhere east of Roe or Tonkin highways would probably suit.  Maybe around Forrestfield?

5 minutes ago, Stikman said:

What do you consider a long commute?  The foothills east of Perth could have you in South Perth in under half an hour and will have you close to bush trails.  Anywhere east of Roe or Tonkin highways would probably suit.  Maybe around Forrestfield?

Happy to cycle 20km with a safe and pleasant enough commute. Just don't want a slow/congested drive on wet days.

I'd look at Forrestfield or Midland areas based on that and a desire to be close to the bush, when you get further south of that the bush is further east.  Relatively cheap housing too and you avoid any possibility of having to get on the freeway for work.  Just my 2c.

Disclaimer:  I live near Midland and the family has lived in the hills for 130 years.

39 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Disclaimer:  I live near Midland and the family has lived in the hills for 130 years.

B208DD76-C76D-4228-9047-694E97705C8E.jpeg

• Haha 2

Thanks, Stikman. Very helpful.

Just have to decide between my innate desire to be close to a slice of nature and the convenience of being close to work.

Developers have been busy building apartment blocks in South Perth. There is a glut of apartments on the market at the moment. You could rent at older apartment in South Perth for about $250 a week.

Being based in South Perth you would have access to the fantastic routes around the river. You are also only a 5 minute bike ride from Kings Park, there are lots of bush trails throughout Kings Park.

The beach is a ~12km trip from South Perth. We do get shark alarms on Perth metropolitan beaches but they are irregular. There are a few beaches with large shark nets big enough to swim in.

Hockey is very popular in Perth, there are lots of clubs, my family all play hockey.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I live North of the river and do not associate with the second class citizens who live south of the river.😉