Tryline

What's Perth or WA like to Live in general?

Best place in the world to live. Best beaches, fantastic weather, best IM and 70.3, cheap holiday flights to Asia, fantastic tri clubs, Rottnest. But I might be a bit biased.

Since the mining bust unemployment has risen in the west, you need to make sure you have work lined up before you move. House prices have stagnated, still over priced in my opinion. The cost of living is still quite high from the mining boom days, but costs have remained steady over the last few years.

think back to what 1974 was like in QLD with everything costing 2x the east coast and you have it.

nice beaches but it's too hot for me and I grew up in Byron Bay.

Good

- beaches

- watersports, surfing, windsurfing, fishing etc

- nightlife is much improved

- great camping along the south and north coast

- climate is great, summer can be hot, but it's a dry heat, winters are short

Bad

- traffic is bad

- drivers are worse

- cost of living and houses are high, probably an Australia wide thing, but Perth has got to be one of the most expensive cities in Australia (and probably the southern hemisphere) to live in

- very isolated

Been here for 15 years now... Moved to the beaches 3 years ago (Scarborough) and now I truly love the place!

Cost of living is high, but am lucky enough to be earning resource industry $$, the traffic is bad... But the lifestyle is great!

BBQ all year round, minimal rainy days and it's an extremely active population..

Cheap international flights too.. Less expensive to fly to Asia than within Oz.

[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been here for 15 years now... Moved to the beaches 3 years ago (Scarborough) and now I truly love the place!

Cost of living is high, but am lucky enough to be earning resource industry $$, the traffic is bad... But the lifestyle is great!

BBQ all year round, minimal rainy days and it's an extremely active population..

[emoji4]

What industry beginner girl?

SAP in Mining/O&G.. Both have plummeted lately but I negotiated well prior to the downturn..

Edited by beginnergirl

think back to what 1974 was like in QLD with everything costing 2x the east coast and you have it.

nice beaches but it's too hot for me and I grew up in Byron Bay.

So, corrupt police, corrupt politicians, and land developers use brown paper bags?

cheap holiday flights to Asia,

So from these 2 comments I am guessing its not that great given the boasting about cheap flights outta there to other places. And you'd have to love Bali

Edited by Peter

i would pick it in a heart beat.....i thin bris and pertht are sussters

Edited by Prince

I'm not from Perth and have no family there.... But makes an easy decision on holidays and long weekends .. $199 gets you return to Singapore and even less to Indo... [emoji4]

So from these 2 comments I am guessing its not that great given the boasting about cheap flights outta there to other places. And you'd have to love Bali

It just means that Perth is not that isolated. You can get cheap flights to Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, not just Bali. It is usually cheaper to fly to Asia than the eastern states.

Like beginnergirl I also work in the mining industry. I am FIFO site based.

I can all ready get flights to Asian countries from here in Nth Qld. Townsville/Cairns for that price.

Is SAP something to do with software?

It just means that Perth is not that isolated. You can get cheap flights to Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, not just Bali. It is usually cheaper to fly to Asia than the eastern states.

Like beginnergirl I also work in the mining industry. I am FIFO site based.

You have a trade IN?

Home to the most parochial people in the world ....... and I grew up in Newcastle!

You'll need to become an Eagles fan very quickly or you'll be restricted to reading the classifieds.

You have a trade IN?

Mining Engineer, I get paid to blow stuff up :smile1:

Home to the most parochial people in the world ....... and I grew up in Newcastle!

You'll need to become an Eagles fan very quickly or you'll be restricted to reading the classifieds.

Or the Dockers

According to Moody's housing affordability report, out today, Perth housing is more affordable than Sydney and Melbourne.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-23/australians-spending-one-third-of-income-on-mortage-repayments/6966230?WT.ac=statenews_wa

Is SAP something to do with software?

SAP is financial software designed to reduce costs. It does this by making the process of ordering goods or putting in a work order so time consuming and complicated that most people can't use it.

• Like 2

Mining Engineer, I get paid to blow stuff up :smile1:

Nice!

Know off any sparky jobs!?!?

What places to avoid living in Perth? Crime,no transport, bad area ect,ect.

Know off any sparky jobs!?!?

2 or 3 years ago at the height of the mining boom you would have found very well paid work either in mining or in Perth. There still seems to be quite a bit of sparky work around in Perth.

Ironnerd... How was your extended holiday?

My extended holiday was fantastic. In total I had 10 months off. I spend 3 months in South America and two months in Asia. Plus lots of time at home reconnecting with family and friends.

Once I started looking for work it took me 3 months to get a job. In that time I only saw two jobs for Drill and Blast Engineers advertised. In the end I spoke to my old boss and I am now back at the same site, in the same office, doing the same job. :smile1:

My extended holiday was fantastic. In total I had 10 months off. I spend 3 months in South America and two months in Asia. Plus lots of time at home reconnecting with family and friends.

Once I started looking for work it took me 3 months to get a job. In that time I only saw two jobs for Drill and Blast Engineers advertised. In the end I spoke to my old boss and I am now back at the same site, in the same office, doing the same job. :smile1:

I know your old boss [emoji6] I've spent a xmas on site.. The place is impressive compared to other sites. It's amazing how many people leave there and then want to go back!