Ironnerd

IM Legacy Program

Thought this was with a mention, I don't know if this is known or not.  It comes from imtalk over the last two weeks and after Began contacted Wtc for clarification after a listener contacted them the week before.

I thought with the legacy program, once entered, you had to keep your entry validated by doing an IM each year up to and including the year you get to Kona.

But in response to Bevans query, he was told that you would be notified in which year you will get to Kona via the legacy program, and that you have to keep your spot validated by doing an IM branded race, a 5150, 70.3 or an IM!

Did we all know that?  They were surprised by this (and happy about it), and I always thought you had to do actual IM distance races to keep you spot!  Plus they said they'll let you know which year you'll get to do Kona, rather than it being a lottery draw!

So they have any 2575's?  Do they have any 5150's any more?  Wasn't Noosa one one year?

My letter for the legacy programs says:

1. You will need to complete an IRONMAN (140.6) race in 2017;

2. You will need to register for an IRONMAN (140.6) race that takes place in 2018 – you will need to complete this race to maintain your eligibility; 

3. You will need to re-apply to the Legacy Program. 

I have a 2019 Legacy spot.

I will do 1 x IM until I go to Kona. However it would be great if a 70.3 counts in case I get injured and can not complete a full IM or even a Busso full Duathlon.🦈

They queried WTC after a listener contacted them about his letter, which said he had to be entered into either a 5150, 70.3 or an IM.  This might be a very recent change!  Could be worth checking with them.  The discussions regarding it are on the imtalk episodes of Tuesday last week, and Tuesday of this week.

How many Ironman races do you need to complete before you're eligible to enter the lottery Goughy - you better start now 😏

34 minutes ago, goughy said:

So they have any 2575's?  Do they have any 5150's any more?  Wasn't Noosa one one year?

Maybe that's why they got rid of Luke Harrop? I know there's a 5150 in Subic Bay. 

20 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

My letter for the legacy programs says:

1. You will need to complete an IRONMAN (140.6) race in 2017;

2. You will need to register for an IRONMAN (140.6) race that takes place in 2018 – you will need to complete this race to maintain your eligibility; 

3. You will need to re-apply to the Legacy Program. 

I have a 2019 Legacy spot.

I will do 1 x IM until I go to Kona. However it would be great if a 70.3 counts in case I get injured and can not complete a full IM or even a Busso full Duathlon.🦈

I also have a 2019 Legacy spot. I'll be racing at IM AUS in 2019.

Here's a copy and paste from my email notification (interesting that they don't use a standard template).

"You are guaranteed selection for the 2019 IRONMAN World Championship.  To maintain your eligibility please note the following requirements:

Complete ONE of the following events each year leading up to the year of your guaranteed selection:

·         IRONMAN (140.6)

·         IRONMAN 70.3

Provide proof of completion to your validating event to legacy@ironman.com each year leading up to the year of your guaranteed IRONMAN World Championship.

If you do compete in the IRONMAN World Championship at any time before being selected, you will no longer be eligible for the program."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AP said:

How many Ironman races do you need to complete before you're eligible to enter the lottery Goughy - you better start now 😏

Me thinks we all know the odds of me ever getting to the lottery! (Somewhere between bucklies and none)..

But I'll be there to pick your jaw up off the floor if I ever actually enter one, let alone if I finish it!  And I'll happily sit down for a beer with you afterwards, I'll even shout you !(cause I'll only be going to port maq and we all know for sure you'll be there ;) )

14 minutes ago, goughy said:

Me thinks we all know the odds of me ever getting to the lottery! (Somewhere between bucklies and none)..

But I'll be there to pick your jaw up off the floor if I ever actually enter one, let alone if I finish it!  And I'll happily sit down for a beer with you afterwards, I'll even shout you !(cause I'll only be going to port maq and we all know for sure you'll be there ;) )

Start now and you could be having that beer at Port next year - you only have to aim at doing the distance - and you only have to do it once (on the day) - so really you just have to do some swimming some cycling and some running each week so everything is working - the distance comes easy as you gradually build up 😎

1 hour ago, goughy said:

They just sold a 2575, didn't they?

30 minutes ago, AP said:

Start now and you could be having that beer at Port next year - you only have to aim at doing the distance - and you only have to do it once (on the day) - so really you just have to do some swimming some cycling and some running each week so everything is working - the distance comes easy as you gradually build up 😎

I'll get there!  But it won't be next year.  There's more than just me to get through this.  But it'll happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

They just sold a 2575, didn't they?

I'm waiting till I can enter a 1287.5!  That's a race for me....

1 hour ago, goughy said:

They queried WTC after a listener contacted them about his letter, which said he had to be entered into either a 5150, 70.3 or an IM.  This might be a very recent change!  Could be worth checking with them.  The discussions regarding it are on the imtalk episodes of Tuesday last week, and Tuesday of this week.

Thanks Goughy. I am a few weeks behind in listening to IM Talk. I have a lot of travel next week so will catch up then.

25 minutes ago, goughy said:

I'm waiting till I can enter a 1287.5!  That's a race for me....

Sounds enticing

See what I did there? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4