Ironnerd

IM Legacy Program

Looks like I might have to wait a couple of years to get a Kona legacy slot.

Dear Athletes,
IRONMAN is pleased to announce that the application process for the 2016 Legacy Program is now open. Qualification for the 2016 Legacy Program is similar to prior years and is outlined below.
Due to the overwhelming popularity of the program, we expect there to be significantly more qualified applicants than there are slots available (100). In the past, qualified Legacy applicants who were not selected in their application year were guaranteed selection in the next year's program if they maintained eligibility. Due to the amount of qualified applicants we currently have, we can longer make that guarantee and athletes who are not selected will be placed on a wait-list. An athlete's place on the wait list will be based solely on their Legacy application time-date stamp.
For example, if an athlete registers for the 2016 Legacy Program and is the 110th qualified applicant - which would be beyond the available slots for 2016 - the athlete will not be selected for 2016 but would be a selection for 2017, pending their maintained eligibility. If an athlete applied and was the 210th qualified applicant - which would be beyond the available slots for both 2016 and 2017 - the athlete would not be selected until 2018, pending their maintained eligibility. However, as athletes withdraw from the waiting list or decline their slot, athletes behind them will subsequently move up in position.
The IRONMAN Legacy Program grants loyal IRONMAN athletes the opportunity to compete in Kona at least once in their lifetime. While we understand this makes the journey to Kona a little longer, we hope that you understand these modifications are necessary so that we can continue to serve our loyal athletes.
To be fully qualified for the 2016 IRONMAN Legacy Program, athletes must meet all four requirements:
1. Athlete must have completed a minimum of 12 full-distance IRONMAN* races (includes existing and past events) by December 31, 2015.
2. Athlete has never participated in the IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai'i.
3. Athlete must have completed at least one full-distance IRONMAN event in 2014 and 2015.
4. Athlete must be registered for a full-distance IRONMAN event in 2016.
*Triathlon consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, and 26.2-mile run operated by IRONMAN
Please note: To maintain eligibility as an existing, qualified applicant beyond 2016, athletes must compete in at least one (1) full-distance IRONMAN event during the subsequent calendar years.
For more information on the Legacy program, go to www.ironman.com/worldchampionship. Additional questions about the program may be directed to legacy@ironman.com.
Thanks and we look forward to seeing you at the finish line!

Gravy train for WTC to keep you all coming back. Rather than keep it at 12, and have more than double the number of applicants to spots, they should bump the number up to 15, but then I suppose that won't result in as many people "keepin' on keepin' on".

It basically is 15.

They do 12 before being able to apply.

Do 13 with waiting

Do 14 to validate (if the wait is only 1 yr.

Do 15 if needed (ie wait is 2 years..

Kona is 16.

So about an extra 4k on top of the 12 already done.

It's not a poor persons sport. And for those just rolling around doing 15+ it's basically a waste of money

It's not a poor persons sport. And for those just rolling around doing 15+ it's basically a waste of money

But still a damn site cheaper and healthier than smoking a pack a day!

• Like 7

It's only a waste of money if you want to race Kona.

It's only a waste of money if you're only doing it to race Kona.

• Like 2

Thanks IP..... I have to enter cairns and then will be straight into it!

Just tell your entered

They won't know

Cheers

Ivp

But still a damn site cheaper and healthier than smoking a pack a day!

I think it's a great reward for loyal customers - no different from the coffee shop loyalty cards and they're popular

Just tell your entered

They won't know

Cheers

Ivp

Yep do this.

They won't check until next April but you'll be higher up the list.

I think it's a great reward for loyal customers - no different from the coffee shop loyalty cards and they're popular

Coffee loyalty card gets you a free coffee.

Make it 20 x & free entry.

Pretty f*cked up coffee shop with that loyalty program. Buy 15+ coffees and you get to pay double for another coffee on the other side of town.

• Like 1

Can quibble about the details but the concept is great, giving people who have put in the time and money and commitment over a long period the opportunity to participate in the peak event

• Like 1

Coffee loyalty card gets you a free coffee.

Make it 20 x & free entry.

Actually, IMOZ gave me a free entry after only 15. I presume they are still doing that.

This was always going to be a problem with the Legacy program. It is still a pretty good loyalty offer. As with everything about the WTC offer, if its not good enough take your money elsewhere.

FWIW I first qualified for Kona after 17 attempts, well before the Loyalty program was established. I haven't been offered a loyalty spot after 30 IMs, because I've already been as a qualifier. My sympathy is a little muted for those who might have to do 12 or 13 races and then get a spot no matter how slow their finish. I'm happy for them, of course, but I don't think they have grounds for complaint about it being too hard.

• Like 1

You are entering this year for next season, as in, if you don't have a spot already locked in via legacy for 2016 then you are actually entering in to get a spot in 2017. So expect to pay two legacy entry fees to get there in 2017. If you want to get there via this way, you have no choice, enter and get confirmation for 2017 and then enter next year to lock it in. The magic number as such isn't 16 for those already in for 2016 but could be next time around for 2017, depends on numbers and the count back.

Best thing is, if you don't know already you are in for 2016, is to enter and plan on doing an IM in 2016 and 2017 and hope that you get a spot for 2017.

Oh, I can concur on the free entry at IMOZ after 15, the best bit is active fee x zero entry fee is zero.

Leon, when did you notch up your 15th IMOz? Was it a while ago?

A mate of mine did his 15th in 2013, and the race organisers gave him a free entry to IMOz for 2014 , but certainly not to Kona. Maybe he should give them a call. :sly:

Edit : just ignore me....that's what you're saying. Free entry to IMOz,right?

Edited by Dave T

Actually, IMOZ gave me a free entry after only 15. I presume they are still doing that.

This was always going to be a problem with the Legacy program. It is still a pretty good loyalty offer. As with everything about the WTC offer, if its not good enough take your money elsewhere.

FWIW I first qualified for Kona after 17 attempts, well before the Loyalty program was established. I haven't been offered a loyalty spot after 30 IMs, because I've already been as a qualifier. My sympathy is a little muted for those who might have to do 12 or 13 races and then get a spot no matter how slow their finish. I'm happy for them, of course, but I don't think they have grounds for complaint about it being too hard.

Never complained it was too hard.

Free entry to IMOZ for number 16, up there with AP this year for no 15, dropped the trophy on stage, thought I was going to get that trophy for no 10 when side of stage but got the timber plaque instead, 'twas motivation to come back for another 5, after all of that I drop the bloody thing but no damage so was all good, maybe too many beers at the beach house that arvo and watching beer mile. Happy days.

I've always liked the idea of the legacy program. But I also had no issues with the lottery. Neither will have any bearing on me of course. Neither will qualifying.

While it may be a bit of a cash grab, don't try and participate in it if you don't like it. It's the individuals choice. We all spend money we shouldn't on things. Some of it is on hobbies we enjoy. I'd rather spend money on this than sink it into a crappy car.

Pretty sure you'll find 2016 is filled with 2015 applicants.

And thats the point. Enter now to get near the start of the list for 2016. If she waits until next June, it will most likely be the 2017 race.

Unless they have re-allocated lottery spots, first time entrants will be waiting until 2017. 215 entered in 2015 for the 100 spots.

Given that the 150 lottery slots seem to be dead because of litigation issues - why hasent there been a corresponding expansion of legacy slots? Maybe even the opportunity to double dip (i.e. do 25 IM races and you can go again in the legacy program)? Money spinner and simple solution to the lottery delimma ...

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

And thats the point. Enter now to get near the start of the list for 2016. If she waits until next June, it will most likely be the 2017 race.

This

Cheers

Ivp

Anyone we know?

I know last year of 2 guys that were told about christmas they would come out in the April announcement. So you'd know if you snagged a spot soon

Bloody hard work finding All times and bib numbers!!! Slow internet from kids over usage.... Grrrrr....

But am getting excited???

Bloody hard work finding All times and bib numbers!!! Slow internet from kids over usage.... Grrrrr....

But am getting excited

they should all be under your profile on ironman.com

I know last year of 2 guys that were told about christmas they would come out in the April announcement. So you'd know if you snagged a spot soon

You know already and even before this years race

But am getting excited

Pm Rog

He is building an app to do this

Cheers

Ivp

11th NZ ironman is free entry.

It was always my dream to get the double free 15 IMOZ and 10 IMNZ ( This originally told to me by my Ironman sister - Christine Ashcroft ....waaaayy back in time )

I got in the first year of Legacy IM 2012 with 29 IM , looked like it caught alot of serial tragics IM'ers out , now they all up and running again to qualify.

BC

• Like 1

Peter are you still entering me into the lottery?

Not this year. You couldn't go sub 11 in Kona. And I've got $1000 on it if interested.

So my monthly income?

See this is why I haven't bothered with Kona. Either you're fast enough to qualify on time or get a roll down spot, or you get financially bent over the table chasing a legacy spot.

For mine I'd rather spend the money traveling to races I really want to do, like, Roth.

Is the the same $1000 that keeps getting wagered? :D

No I'm down 2k.

But as he gets older he will get slower

No I'm down 2k.

But as he gets older he will get slower

Nope you will just keep funding my entries :)

& for the record I"m feeling younger. Healthy eating, consistent training, a solid plan = confidence. I'm seeing the benefits not only in my racing but in my professional & family life.

Even with a shit day in Louisville I still PB the swim & run. I failed to hit my goal time but I learnt a lot. I will take this same attitude into my next training plan & race day.

Whilst all true the new time of sub 11 is harder than just a pb.

If feel the $$$ will come back to me after next years race.

Even with a shit day in Louisville I still PB the swim & run. I failed to hit my goal time but I learnt a lot. I will take this same attitude into my next training plan & race day.

tumblr_niz6r97iey1qhjm6yo1_500.jpg