Ex-Hasbeen

Consistency across the 3 legs

A couple of posts recently got me to thinking about consistency across the 3 main components of a triathlon. It's no good being the fastest swimmer & rider, if you run 10km in 70 minutes, and likewise a fast swimmer and runner if you ride like my grandmother. I was always happy that my 3 legs were fairly consistent. I'm probably a little slow on the bike compared to the other 2, but don't really have a shocker in any. An example would be my last HIM. AG placings were 14th swim, 10th bike, 5th run. I'm happy the swim, as I probably averaged 2 swims a week for 3 months, and nothing for years before that.

I looked at my AG results, and in the top 10 total of the AG, 6 were top 10 swim (worst was 38th), 6 were top 10 bike (worst was 17th), and 6 were top 10 run (worst was 16th). Most telling was of the top 5, 6th was the worst run place. Maybe that saying "ride for show, run for doe" really is true.

Who else is "consistent", and who has wildly fluctuating level across the 3?

Totally agree.

I'm consistent also. My bike lets me down in comparison to the other two, but it isn't terrible.

I am concerned by the thought of you running for a female deer. What happens if you catch it?

Running for dough (the financial or flour based kind) sits far more comfortably with me.

• Like 2

I am concerned by the thought of you running for a female deer. What happens if you catch it?

Running for dough (the financial or flour based kind) sits far more comfortably with me.

If I'd said "bucks" you'd have thought I was gay.

Started off the sport in 2003 as a runner who was average on the bike and basically could not swim.

Now I'm a 'slightly above average' swimmer, very good cyclist, reasonable runner. So my race tactics are to limit damage on the swim, catch and pass as many as I can on the bike and then see how many people I can hold off on the run.

The funny thing is that when I started I used to absolutely love the run. I was always coming from so far back in the field that I spent the whole run leg passing people (because I never got near the actual fast runners). Now that I enter T2 at the pointy end I tend the dread the run as it is a matter of waiting for the fast runners to pass me.

I think I'm fairly consistent.

You don't say whether you're only talking about consistently good, or if consistently bad is ok too?

My swim & run are fairly consistent around the middle of the pack whether it is short or long course. However my bike is much better usually sitting in the top 20% (and top 10% at many races). I have tried improving the swim but I just don't like swimming enough to put the effort in (and I have dodgy shoulders which doesn't help) and my running has fluctuated over time depending on what I am doing outside triathlon. EG 3 years ago I was racing 10km races with the occasional halves and my 10km time was 3 minutes quicker. But for the last 18 months I have been racing Ultras (6 in 18 months) and my run times have fallen as you would expect but my long course run times have improved.

I would like to be more consistent but really I would prefer to be a gun runner over a gun anything else in the sport :) I just need to curtail my sweet tooth ...

I'm pretty consistent.

I'm a big believer in train your weakness race your strength. And over the years they have varied. Right now coming back from injury I'm needing to swim and run to lift those levels. What do I want to do... Ride.

But it ain't about what you want to do. It's what you need to do.

I'm inconsistent as I'm a terrible runner.

Swims usually ranked about top 20-25% through my age group.

Rides usually ranked about top top 20-30% in age group.

Run is is about top 50-60%. Or is that bottom 40-50%.

I'm prone to running injuries, ITB ( resolved now), plantar fasciitis ( mild and managed) so running volume always suffers.

I do know I'm too heavy ( 80kg at 1.76m) and dropping 5kg would help running but I'm happy with my build and I am doing this for fun, not to win.

It's one sport, "swimbikerun" (inc transitions). In that order. Many forget that and don't do enough training to reflect the specificity of the event.

Typical quote post race - "I had a great swim and and axed the bike, dunno what happened on the run though."

Edited by tri_hard
  • Like 3

It's one sport, "swimbikerun" (inc transitions). In that order. Many forget that and don't do enough training to reflect the specificity of the event.

Typical quote post race - "I had a great swim and and axed the bike, dunno what happened on the run though."

So true

Cheers

Ivp

Typically, I'm in the last 10% out of the water. Top 30% on the bike. Top 10% on the run.

Really need to sort it out as I have never actually won a race but have come second by a minute after giving up five minutes in the water more than once.

On the upside, I get to spend the whole race overtaking people which I am sure is more fun than being first out of the water and then being overrun by half the field.

I'm super consistent - bottom 20% across all 3 disciplines.

Not much of a runner, and no prior history in it but usually it's my best leg based more on effort than capability.

More focus on bike this year, will see if I get improvement in racing.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On the upside, I get to spend the whole race overtaking people which I am sure is more fun than being first out of the water and then being overrun by half the field.

Probably, but nothing beats the feeling of seeing the lead vehicle the whole way.

• Like 1

I think it was Gundy last year I was 3rd out of the water, 1st at the end of the bike then watched 4 dudes run past me. It wasn't fun! but I'm working on it. You runners make me sick :smile1:

• Like 1

Probably, but nothing beats the feeling of seeing the lead vehicle the whole way.

I'll have to take your word on that :)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

There's a lead vehicle?

• Like 1

Typically, I'm in the last 10% out of the water. Top 30% on the bike. Top 10% on the run.

Really need to sort it out as I have never actually won a race but have come second by a minute after giving up five minutes in the water more than once.

Got a mate exactly the same as you, can't swim to save his life but a gun cyclist and runner. His solution to just missing out on podiums is to ride and run more... I did come up with the crazy idea that he should swim more, but it fell on deaf ears..

I like to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning ;)

• Like 1

Got a mate exactly the same as you, can't swim to save his life but a gun cyclist and runner. His solution to just missing out on podiums is to ride and run more... I did come up with the crazy idea that he should swim more, but it fell on deaf ears..

There was a guy a few on here would remember, John Dean. He was a cyclist that represented NZ at 2 Olympics. He owned a bike shop on the Sunshine Coast in the 80's and was a good Triathlete.

He swam like a bobbing coconut, but normally went past me in the last part of the ride like I was standing still. Luckily he had legs like tree trunks, and ran only a bit better than he swam, so we'd invariably pass him again during the run. It was always an interesting dynamic at the pointy end of races. You'd know everyone there (you'd raced them 20 times that year), and you'd know their strengths & weaknesses. You'd know if you were still near some-one with 10km to go on the bike, you'd have them in the run, or likewise you had to make sure you got a good lead on particular people early on cause they ran well. Fun times.

• Like 1

Looking at my AG percentile rankings from Western Sydney 70.3 2014 and Port Mac 70.3 2015.

WS: Swim 57%, Bike 11%, Run 8%

Port: Swim 53%, Bike 18%, Run 11%

I was surprised to see that my bike rank was lower at Port as my FTP has increased. I think there were a lot more 1s timers at WS skewing the results.

At 6"1 & 74.5kg do you think I would be better suited to a hilly or flat course?

Also interesting was how much I gave up to fastest person in my AG

WS 70.3 2014: Swim 13:25, Bike 11:42, Run 12:27.

PM 70.3 2015: Swim 06:23, Bike 11:48, Run 11:56.

At 6"1 & 74.5kg do you think I would be better suited to a hilly or flat course?

Height and weight alone are not enough to determine your hill climbing ability.

However I am the same weight and 2 inches taller and I definitely have an advantage in the hills

I was curious as to my relative ability and which type of course I could expect to place higher in. Obviously one with a downhill swim...

Looking at my AG percentile rankings from Western Sydney 70.3 2014 and Port Mac 70.3 2015.

WS: Swim 57%, Bike 11%, Run 8%

Port: Swim 53%, Bike 18%, Run 11%

I was surprised to see that my bike rank was lower at Port as my FTP has increased. I think there were a lot more 1s timers at WS skewing the results.

Also interesting was how much I gave up to fastest person in my AG

WS 70.3 2014: Swim 13:25, Bike 11:42, Run 12:27.

PM 70.3 2015: Swim 06:23, Bike 11:48, Run 11:56.

Swim. One wetsuit one not? If so

Wetsuits help poor swimmers way more than good. Ones