At least the pitch will have time to dry out before the early afternoon start (before they come off again for the storm).

Love it.

Aussies 8-85, biggest flat-track bullies in world sport. Have we got anyone who can handle a bit of spin or moving seamers?

can't really have pitches in oz with variation if they did oz would be this bad at home and players inflated averages would drop to 1980's numbers. With oz being as bad as the windies

So Sri Lankan tour is going well. Smith just blamed our spinners for the loss, particularly Lyon. I think I would be looking at the batting performance first.

So Sri Lankan tour is going well. Smith just blamed our spinners for the loss, particularly Lyon. I think I would be looking at the batting performance first.

So if our spinners were up to scratch, this latest test would have been over by tea on the 2nd day. I can see an issue with test cricket if that is the case.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

can't really have pitches in oz with variation if they did oz would be this bad at home and players inflated averages would drop to 1980's numbers. With oz being as bad as the windies

M Hussey, Martyn, Lehmann, Hayden, etc all done well in spin-friendly sub-continent conditions in the past and they were all fringe players at some point. Current mob nowhere near up to scratch and we tour India early next year. What has changed, talent, training, preparation?

I'd chuck Henriques in for this last game, (not necessarily in place of Mitch Marsh either), he's scored a few runs over that way in the past (2 x 50s on Test debut in Chennai).

M Hussey, Martyn, Lehmann, Hayden, etc all done well in spin-friendly sub-continent conditions in the past

Hayden worked his arse off to get better at it.

He wasn't a natural, but found a method that worked for him, brilliantly for that tour.

It's no surprise that slow/spin blokes generally go well in the Aussie T20 gig.

Terrible from Smith - he needs to visit the house of mirrors.

Lyon has taken 9 wickets - only behind starc. If Starc (another bowler) was not around - his merry oversized bat men would be chasing 900 and getting out within 150.

Looks like "The Big Show" gifted himself a season pass to the Australian T20 side again last night with 145 from 65 balls in the opening game against Sri Lanka.

Only been able to follow snippets of it but this Phil Hughes inquest is going in some directions I didn't expect. Much more personal.

Some of the stuff being said about the NSW players isn't what I'd imagine Phil would have wanted.

Especially when a lot of these guys were genuine friends and played together with Hughes being a NSW'man.

On another note apparently Marsh has resigned as selector when his contract expires.

On a lighter note - just walking past the Downing Centre at lunch time today - usual media scrum in attendance to get some colour for the evening news. One intrepid cameraman positioned himself On Liverpool St to get a better shot and was immediately fined for jay walking. Much mirth

Rod Marsh: "I talked to Jackson again this morning," Marsh said. "I said to him the thing that probably cost him his place was his batting."

It's one thing to have zero confidence in our 7 batsmen to do their job, another to declare it in front of the cricketing world.

First time I've tried to watch anything on channel 7, 9 or 10 since last summers cricket and tennis, and get the News on channel 9 instead of cricket.

No wonder these channels are going broke. Will stick with the ABC radio commentary.

Yeah I guessed it would be, for some reason my Foxtel package doesn't get GEM (but does have 9Go) and I don't have an aerial for regular TV, minor issue in the grand scheme of things but I enjoy having a dig at Ch 9.

Saffas all out, well done Starc, should have news over in time for start of Aussies innings.

I saw David Warner get out.

Mark Nicholas: David Warner on strike at 97, has never been out in the 90's

And so of course, the very next ball... talk about your commentator's curse.

Missing: Australian Test Team middle order, last seen boarding flights towards Perth, if found please return to Rod Marsh.

• Like 1

Typical modern test match. Team bats first struggles but hangs on to score 250 plus. Game over - just takes another 2/3 days to prove that team batting first wins 70% of the time. Shitful

Typical modern test match. Team bats first struggles but hangs on to score 250 plus. Game over - just takes another 2/3 days to prove that team batting first wins 70% of the time. Shitful

What is the point you are making. Australia batted in excellent conditions with Steyn out injured and carrying an injury into the match. They had a platform from warner the rest were lame.

Are you critcising the australian team who are playing on a pitch designed for them

Moment of entertainment smith's petulant display after being given out then trying to suck up to the umpire to avoid sanction.

Smith makes a lot of runs when in form as he can score heavily through the leg side. He does this by moving across a little and opening the left shoulder to the on side, over emphasising this.

from the crease and just a little back he plunders the quicks through the on side whne anything is on stumps.

When he is not, troubles in England, he is a prime candidate for lbw. He uses the same approach for front foot.

Watching the dismissal yesterday at the point of impact, he is hit on the back leg (reducing the distance down the pitch from a front foot measurement), he is squared up having been beaten in flight, the commentators (biased who act as fans) keep calling the knee roll forgetting that his leg is bent and the ball is striking the pad at less then half stump height.

He is so squared up (his strength and weakness) that all the umpire sees is three stumps, a pad (back pad)and less than half way up from a guy who is not a big turner, easy to see why he called it.

The DRS showed the Daar was right to give it. Smith behaves poorly as a leader when things do not go his way.

Edited by BarryBevan

Now this is what I expected from the Aussies.

Failure.

I knew day one had to be a fluke. This is our worst team in 20 years.

Other than warner they are uninspiring.

Other than warner they are uninspiring.

Hmmm... Currently 2/2 in the 3rd over in the 2nd Test :shocking:.

Edit to say - At least Warner didn't have to worry about getting out in the 90's...

Edited by Go Easy

Good to see the top order have thought about how to play swinging ball.

Lunge at the ball don't play down the line of the ball and play with bat in front of body.

This is what our form leading into the series suggested.

Smith isnt a leader.

He can usually bat but comes across and a dick.

Warner would be a better leader.

Mind you cricket Australia isstuffed. They need a clean out.

• Like 1

This is what our form leading into the series suggested.

Smith isnt a leader.

He can usually bat but comes across and a dick.

Warner would be a better leader.

Mind you cricket Australia isstuffed. They need a clean out.

The ABC guys kept asking why nobody wanted to stand shoulder to shoulder with Smith, I think you nailed it. Smith is a bit of a knob and should not be Captain

South Africa didnt improve their position yesterday, so a good day for the Aussies :-)

South Africa didnt improve their position yesterday, so a good day for the Aussies :-)

haha

Cunning ploy by the Aussies to ensure our bowlers are well rested for the 3rd Test by making sure South Africa didn't bat again.

Kyle Abbott the destroyer, couldn't even make the team for the 1st Test.

STUMPS WRAP: AUSTRALIA (161 & 85) (SOUTH AFRICA 326)

SOUTH AFRICA WIN BY AN INNINGS AND 80 RUNS

Was that 3 days of which it rained one of them out. So poor.

Heads must roll

WTF just happened

After yesterday I was (obviously wrongly) expecting the aussies to dig in for a long haul of slow runs....

Just jumped online to see how slow the run rate was ......

And .......... its all over, red rover!

Wow, I try to stay positive and think it's just a small bad patch, but this is awful at the moment.

Eight Australian Batsmen (1 and 5 to 11) scored a total of 50 runs between them for the entire test. Lucky the other 3 got a couple of runs.

Brian Lara has come out and said Australia could now decline in cricket like the Windies.

Geez that gets my goat up, i say absolute horse crap We have been down before and gotten back pretty dam quickly.

piss off lara

Rod Marsh gone.

Wonder who is next up?

Maybe now they will stop picking all the other dud Marsh's though.....