Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else watching the cricket having audio issues? I can’t hear any crowd noise coming through the mics  

So we’re 40 minutes away from a result

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we should win....shouldn't we....gulp!  

This is why warny was so good. He would have bowled them out before lunch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prince said:

we should win....shouldn't we....gulp!  

This is why warny was so good. He would have bowled them out before lunch. 

2 days to go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter said:

2 days to go 

That's the problem. It's still only a day 4 pitch.

England only require one incoming batsman with the requisite support to dig in for 100 and they'll get the runs. Although Australia is still in the box seat, from here on in, England only needs one hero.

I'm predicting an exciting finish.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was disappointing. Watched the last 40 runs at 9 out. Nathan Lyon missed a very simple runout with only a few runs left and we wasted a review. There was an LBW given not out with only 2 to get, but a review would've changed that to outand we win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg.  I’m not sure I believe that could happen 

well done poms. 1 all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AA7 said:

Well that was disappointing. Watched the last 40 runs at 9 out. Nathan Lyon missed a very simple runout with only a few runs left and we wasted a review. There was an LBW given not out with only 2 to get, but a review would've changed that to outand we win.

DRS either needs to be done on all close LBW and catches or be scraped all together.   Rather then have the players make the call, the umpire should refer like a run out if not sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't know that much about cricket, and don't watch it much, but if that wasn't one of the most plumb lbw's I've seen in my life!  I can't fathom how an international test umpire couldn't see that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, goughy said:

I really don't know that much about cricket, and don't watch it much, but if that wasn't one of the most plumb lbw's I've seen in my life!  I can't fathom how an international test umpire couldn't see that?  

These umpires have been the worst for all games so far.  Missed heaps.

They should allow an aussie and Pommy ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, goughy said:

I really don't know that much about cricket, and don't watch it much, but if that wasn't one of the most plumb lbw's I've seen in my life!  I can't fathom how an international test umpire couldn't see that?  

Yes it was in line and would have hit the stumps but there's much more to LBW than that. The ball went mm from the moving bat and the front toe as it pitched (to a lesser extent), both of which would have meant not out or placed enough doubt in the umpires mind. That's what the reviews allocated to each team are for. There were 5 or 6 similar decisions this match that went evenly between us and the Poms. That was obviously the level of doubt the ump had set himself and he shouldn't alter that just because the match is tight or 1 team has used all their reviews. A couple of balls earlier we wasted our last referral in one of the stupidest decisions I've seen in a while. Our team has a history of not managing our referrals well and it seems to be continuing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of all these 3rd umpire and video ref things.  We lived for years without them.  And quite frankly, they seem to make some cracker mistakes at times even with them!  I want the old days back.  It also seems they've created a group of officials with no balls and short on the skills Dept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, goughy said:

To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of all these 3rd umpire and video ref things.  We lived for years without them.  And quite frankly, they seem to make some cracker mistakes at times even with them!  I want the old days back.  It also seems they've created a group of officials with no balls and short on the skills Dept.

Exactly what is has created.   Replay replay replay after replay.   Every decision analysed by experts and keyboard warriors has created umpires who are scared shitless to make a decision now 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Exactly what is has created.   Replay replay replay after replay.   Every decision analysed by experts and keyboard warriors has created umpires who are scared shitless to make a decision now 

The game goes for 5 days.  replay x 22 doesnt matter

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crap lbw decision did not cost us the game 

Our top order failing again in the second innings cost us the game 

They should have been chasing 430

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Paul Every said:

That's the problem. It's still only a day 4 pitch.

England only require one incoming batsman with the requisite support to dig in for 100 and they'll get the runs. Although Australia is still in the box seat, from here on in, England only needs one hero.

I'm predicting an exciting finish.

Who the f&#k are you exactly? ... and can you fill in my lotto numbers for me!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The crap lbw decision did not cost us the game 

Our top order failing again in the second innings cost us the game 

They should have been chasing 430

Neither Bangers or Harris are an6 chop, while Khawaja hasn’t exactly set the world on fire this series, he’s a good couple of notches above those two. And he’s successfully opened for Australia in the past 12 months as well. I’d have him open with Warner. Marnus at No.3, Smith at 4, then Head and Wade.

 

Then: Let’s get radical and drop Paine for Starc. Have Cummins as captain, but wade (advised by Smith and Warner) made the DRS calls. Won’t happen, but it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Who the f&#k are you exactly? ... and can you fill in my lotto numbers for me!

I was watching it and regretting I ever typed that. :no::shutup:

Such an exciting test to watch from day 1 with fortunes fluctuating so often.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peter said:

The game goes for 5 days.  replay x 22 doesnt matter

Frack! I’d we didn’t have 22 replays (and the rest) it would really get boring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

 Have Cummins as captain, .

Fast bowlers tend to be rotated in/out the side to frequently to fill a captaincy role in test cricket, and with Cummins' injury history, you wouldn't want him playing every test, every series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, goughy said:

To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of all these 3rd umpire and video ref things.  We lived for years without them.  And quite frankly, they seem to make some cracker mistakes at times even with them!  I want the old days back.  It also seems they've created a group of officials with no balls and short on the skills Dept.

Like it or not, the genie is out of the bottle.

Trusting the umpire's decision was all well in good in the days of yore, but now with everyone sitting at home watching multiple slo-mo HD replays from every angle with snicko and ball tracking, how many of us would really be content with every decision being adjudicated by  the umpire's naked eye?

Yes, there definitely has to be some middle ground, and no, I don't think the game's yet to satisfactorily find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/ashes-2019-ben-stokes-nathan-lyon-tim-paine-lbw-drs/6cb404b7-ea94-4d28-8d28-78a7a8159f33

I like how this article, with regards to DRS & umpiring, sets it out.  Turning into a bit of a mess, Like Paine and Vaughn say, Stokes should have been given out LBW and he could have reviewed it, but whats done is done.

I believe we either completely remove the DRS, leave it for Run outs, close catches and front foot NB calls, or for Test matches only, let every decision be reviewed.... which kind of makes a mockery of the umpires..... what a pickle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with Smith top scoring in the 3 innings he played (either side), and Labuschagne top scoring for Aus in the 3 he played (and overall for 2), who will top score this innings. Hoping not to jinx them, but they are making it look easy at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So with Smith top scoring in the 3 innings he played (either side), and Labuschagne top scoring for Aus in the 3 he played (and overall for 2), who will top score this innings. Hoping not to jinx them, but they are making it look easy at the moment.

Feel for Labuschange, just cant crack triple figures, got a peach of a delivery from Overton, but other than that they looked relatively untroubled once the ball lost its new shine.  And its only 44 overs old, so hopefully Smith, Head, Wade and Paine make it count today and post a big first innings score. 

Archer looked tired/struggling in the cold.  Broad was good early and Stokes was solid.  But to be fair, Warner got himself out and Harris fell for the old 3 card trick of away, away and at the stumps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

Poms seem to have worked Warner out.

Looks timid and uncertain of where his off stump is and where he is on the crease.

If im Langer, id say to him before he walks out in the second innings, to treat it like a T20, go for it, he'll get out cheaply or post a 100 in 60 balls!  Either way it would be better than what he is offering at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warner has always had problems in England. He's played 22 Test innings over there and never reached a century once. His overall Test average is 47 however he averages only in the mid 20's on English soil and this series Warner has only scored 2, 8, 3, 5, 61, 0, 0.

I'm thinking Joey Burns probably deserved a crack, he scored 180 at opener in our last test match before the Ashes then didn't even make the squad. He also scored 133 opening for Australia A in England in July.  Burns was dropped from to make way for the return of Warner after his suspension ended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith just got caught on 118 at first slip off their spinner, 

 

 

then got called back when the replay showed a no-ball.

I'd love to have heard what Root was saying in the huddle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Warner has always had problems in England. He's played 22 Test innings over there and never reached a century once. His overall Test average is 47 however he averages only in the mid 20's on English soil and this series Warner has only scored 2, 8, 3, 5, 61, 0, 0.

I'm thinking Joey Burns probably deserved a crack, he scored 180 at opener in our last test match before the Ashes then didn't even make the squad. He also scored 133 opening for Australia A in England in July.  Burns was dropped from to make way for the return of Warner after his suspension ended.

I think Warner returning was a given, but the surprise was giving Bancroft the nod over the likes of Burns and Harris.  Burns was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue, not sure how he is going with that, maybe being a 6 & 1/2 week 5 test series they thought he wasn't ready for it?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Smith just got caught on 118 at first slip off their spinner, 

 

 

then got called back when the replay showed a no-ball.

I'd love to have heard what Root was saying in the huddle.

Best part was the absolutely joy and than disappoint the crowd went through, only to watch him plunder nearly another 100 runs!

Joe Root and Co's bowling plans, field tactics etc were terrible yesterday.  If Australia can bowl Eng out today, they will be PRAYING for rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith is amazing to watch. He seems to defy the laws physics. 

It looks like no matter what speed they are throwing them down at him that he has all the time in the world to think and act. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, roxii said:

Smith is amazing to watch. He seems to defy the laws physics. 

It looks like no matter what speed they are throwing them down at him that he has all the time in the world to think and act. 

He's seeing them like beach-balls

Australia's Steve Smith hits a beachball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince said:

the sooner Smith is back as Captain the better....

Probably better not being captain less pressure,  less media commitments.   

Everyone just assume the on field part but the amount of off field stuff is part of job as well and to Paines credit he has handled this part exceptionally considering what he came into.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Probably better not being captain less pressure,  less media commitments.  

I think this probably has a lot to do with the decision. The pressure on him from outside the game, from the media and from the crowds this first season back is going to be huge because of what happened last year. It's probably one of the main reasons behind Warner's slump. Add pressure of Captaincy to that (and it would be more pressure than most due to what happened last time he was captain), and it could be the end of him.

The little guy has scored 589 runs in 4 innings since he came back, and is already the highest test run scorer this calendar year. Let him smash a few more teams around, then think about slotting him back in as captain when the crowds aren't booing him on to the field.

That's if he wants it and we need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think this probably has a lot to do with the decision. The pressure on him from outside the game, from the media and from the crowds this first season back is going to be huge because of what happened last year. It's probably one of the main reasons behind Warner's slump. Add pressure of Captaincy to that (and it would be more pressure than most due to what happened last time he was captain), and it could be the end of him.

The little guy has scored 589 runs in 4 innings since he came back, and is already the highest test run scorer this calendar year. Let him smash a few more teams around, then think about slotting him back in as captain when the crowds aren't booing him on to the field.

That's if he wants it and we need it.

And this is where Paine has excelled IMO.  His handling of the media has been brilliant.   He was thrown into the deep end after SA (sand paper gate) and has cast a positive and at times humorous display during his media commitments.  

As a former team mate and opposition player to Paine he was put in this position because of his maturity in the role he had to play.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't Smith and Warner excluded from leadership roles for 12 months upon their return? I thought that was part of the sanction by CA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Weren't Smith and Warner excluded from leadership roles for 12 months upon their return? I thought that was part of the sanction by CA?

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to organise an Ashes series over here. Bloody rain again today. I'd give my left one for a few inches of rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Weren't Smith and Warner excluded from leadership roles for 12 months upon their return? I thought that was part of the sanction by CA?

Warner is banned for life from a leadership position. Smith for 12 months from when he came back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should dump Warner, can’t play England because of the swing and ball, can’t pay in SA because of the sonny bill face masks, cant play in NZ because of sonny bill. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/09/2019 at 9:48 AM, Pencil_Towel said:

Looks timid and uncertain of where his off stump is and where he is on the crease.

If im Langer, id say to him before he walks out in the second innings, to treat it like a T20, go for it, he'll get out cheaply or post a 100 in 60 balls!  Either way it would be better than what he is offering at the moment.

With us likely having to come out and score a really quick 140 - 160 runs, that should be exactly what Warner is told to do. 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder who will open in the final test?

If it’s a dead rubber I would be inclined to keep Warner and Harris and tell them this is their chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...