If this were a politician who did this he'd be being crucified right now...

It was inappropriate, patronising and demeaning for him to treat her as if she were not there as a journalist. By all means crack on to her when the cameras are off if you want to. The biggest issue though is probably that his employer is unhappy because they are trying to promote T20 as the family entertainment version of the sport and this puts it firmly back into the blokey sport box.

If this were a politician who did this he'd be being crucified right now...

And rightly so. A politician is employed because he is supposed to be smart & diplomatic, and know when to say what. Gayle is employed because he can hit a small white ball a long way.

And he's not the first to do something like this to Mel. Bravo was just as bad last year, and Tim Cahill surprised her with a kiss when she was interviewing him for Fox.

Should we stop the girls mentioning the "ripped guys" on the blocks at the swimming?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

And rightly so. A politician is employed because he is supposed to be smart & diplomatic, and know when to say what. Gayle is employed because he can hit a small white ball a long way.

And he's not the first to do something like this to Mel. Bravo was just as bad last year, and Tim Cahill surprised her with a kiss when she was interviewing him for Fox.

Should we stop the girls mentioning the "ripped guys" on the blocks at the swimming?

Being 'ripped' can be talked about in terms of a factor that influences their performance. Don't think her pretty eyes determine how she does her job.

I don't think he meant harm by it but he hasn't helped the situation with that 'apology' this morning.

He apologised, several times in that interview. What more do you want ?

You do realise it's a complete media beat up tho right ? I was pleased to see him tell that first reporter to be quiet and let him finish, and then expose that second one for dribbling out hearsay and conjecture about how Mel "feels" and wanting him to comment on it ? Did she tell you that herself? No? Ok well FRO then.

He apologised, several times in that interview. What more do you want ?

Did she tell you that herself? No? Ok well FRO then.

He did the standard it was just jokez, sozz if you can't take jokez apology.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that "second one" knows exactly what Mel was feeling.

He did it, he should be sorry he did, but to try to dismiss it as anything but workplace harassment is bollocks.

She must hate being told she's pretty.

She was employed for extensive cricket background and knowledge. Being pretty is just a coincidence.

It's the same reason they employ gilly.

10k fine. Good luck getting another interview from him ever again.

On a side note, I didn't expect that voice to come out of that body. Bit like David Beckham

Edited by Peter

He did the standard it was just jokez, sozz if you can't take jokez apology.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that "second one" knows exactly what Mel was feeling.

He did it, he should be sorry he did, but to try to dismiss it as anything but workplace harassment is bollocks.

The second hack?? what the F would she know?? All she's got is trotting out garbage chinese whispers and hearsay!

She got exactly what any dickhead journo should get when the roll out garbage questions - nothing.

What would be a laugh would be if Mel herself comes out and says something like "I wasn't offended, that's Chris, no problem...."

No female sports presenters are ugly or plain. There are plenty ugly blokes but they have a background in the sport and broadcasting.

No excuses for Gayle, but the networks hiring on the basis of looks is offensive and then people obtaining jobs on the basis of looks over those with more appropriate skills is also offensive

Well well well.... Just saw the first interview/official comment from mel about this. Guess what ? She didnt seem too upset.

"Surprised" she said, "wasnt expecting that answer..." Also "disappointed"....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/channel-10s-mel-mclaughlin-speaks-out-on-controversial-chris-gayle-interview/news-story/adf004e5b75e8415f1c6469255db4a11

She was employed for extensive cricket background and knowledge. Being pretty is just a coincidence.

Sure? She's a sports journalist with a history in soccer. She may have read up on cricket since getting the gig, but that's it.

I'm sure there are plenty of ex-cricketers from the Australian women's side that would love to get a gig like this. They would have extensive cricket background and knowledge.

Don't insult the boy, from Bendi not Tamworth.

Worked with Trev, his father, when Joshie was born.

Yup Bendemeer. Completely different box of frogs to Tamworth.

Sure? She's a sports journalist with a history in soccer. She may have read up on cricket since getting the gig, but that's it.

I'm sure there are plenty of ex-cricketers from the Australian women's side that would love to get a gig like this. They would have extensive cricket background and knowledge.

Zoe Goss, is a credible cricketer wonder why she does not have a job with ten

Like, say Mel Jones - http://tenplay.com.au/sport/cricket/commentators/mel-jones

or Lisa Sthalekar - http://tenplay.com.au/sport/cricket/commentators/lisa-sthalekar

Jones did the boundary stuff for the Heat game in the rain.

Both of them do the main WBBL commentary as well, when they aren't playing.

The other Mel does hosting for both, so you see her more.

Their main gig is the women's BBL. I've never seen them at the men's.

How many of the women's games are being broadcast? I haven't noticed one yet.

The Gayle thing is so minor it's laughable the way it is being treated. Tim Cahill actually kissed her without being asked did we see anything like that then, no. Probably did not need to either but lets get real.

When the lady who hosts the living room leers at and makes suggestive comments about the bondi vet no one says anything.

When Sam Armytage drools over any man with a pulse and does her every two month men in under wear or speedoes segement, making suggestive comments, no one says anything.

It's every where but we only care when it suits us

How many of the women's games are being broadcast? I haven't noticed one yet.

Xmas-New Years, at least one every other day.

First game was on 1 and rated well enough they put the next on Ten.

Lower scores, less power stuff, more chances for the bowlers.

The Gayle thing is so minor it's laughable the way it is being treated. Tim Cahill actually kissed her without being asked did we see anything like that then, no. Probably did not need to either but lets get real.

When the lady who hosts the living room leers at and makes suggestive comments about the bondi vet no one says anything.

When Sam Armytage drools over any man with a pulse and does her every two month men in under wear or speedoes segement, making suggestive comments, no one says anything.

It's every where but we only care when it suits us

I really don't understand how those other situations make this one less than appalling?

IMO - Keller/Brown and Morris/Brown is a situation where they are playing roles, so different to Gayle.

Never watched a Sam Armytage segment, so no idea what that might be like.

"Appalling"

Give it a rest son. If you find this "appalling" u must have a pretty quiet life.

Wouldn't expect an uber-player like you to understand.....

Appropriate fine has been levied.

Fair enough in the end.

Wouldn't expect an uber-player like you to understand.....

Appropriate fine has been levied.

Fair enough in the end.

Ha if you believe that's coming out of his pocket you are kidding yourself. He would say, the team/club pays this or I walk. I can sign on with any team in the comp next season.

So anyway, an Indian school kid knocked out 1000 runs in an innings off 300 odd balls. Side declared at 2/1400 or so.

I know. Amazing. His team declared for 1400+

Ha if you believe that's coming out of his pocket you are kidding yourself.

I'm not that crazy.

A fine, which has been donated to a charity = tax write off for the team.

So anyway, an Indian school kid knocked out 1000 runs in an innings off 300 odd balls. Side declared at 2/1400 or so.

I feel bad for the kid who made 187.

Possibly the highest score he's ever got and he gets blown away by 800 + runs by a team mate.

I'm not that crazy.

A fine, which has been donated to a charity = tax write off for the team.

But nothing to do with Gayle so the fine or pretending to fine him is just an added insult.

Just heard Gayle is on 25k a game.

Maybe she should have accepted his request for a date.

The womens BBL is so boring is unbelievable. they are only a notch above Mens 2nd grade, but with far less speed and power still. I've watched every game thats been televised this summer, giving it a go, but seriously.... i haven't seen that many custard arms on a cricket field since under 12's.

There's only a handful of players at most out of the entire womens player pool that are actually any good. EG. Elyse Perry, Meg lanning.... the rest are just the best of a bad bunch.

The only place you'll see more pies getting served up than Freddo's Pies in Fredricksburg, is at a womens BBL game.

They pull the boundary ropes in even more and they still cant clear it. Hardly any boundaries hit and they are lucky to crack through 90 runs in a T20, when the men are getting 160-170.

It would be great to pull in a female player like Lanning to a few of these All Star games coming up, a-la Zoe Goss back in the day. See how they fare.

You are being generous with notch above 2nd grade. They need to shorten the pitch. 106kph floaters are available in the under 12s using a Red King, not prime time. 16m pitch and some chin music might be better viewing.

No but i have started up #putyourbatoutforgayle

Its like the phil hughes thing, except not a cricket bat.....

• Like 1

BoofJunior giving it a whack to win the game last night was pretty entertaining.

Needing 4 from the last ball of the game, and it being the first ball he's faced in BBL cricket, it was pretty impressive.

Well well well.... Just saw the first interview/official comment from mel about this. Guess what ? She didnt seem too upset.

"Surprised" she said, "wasnt expecting that answer..." Also "disappointed"....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/channel-10s-mel-mclaughlin-speaks-out-on-controversial-chris-gayle-interview/news-story/adf004e5b75e8415f1c6469255db4a11

Mel giving some of her own back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3404965/Chris-Gayle-smashes-four-sixes-row-match-record-fastest-half-century-Twenty20-history.html

So are Channel ten feeling the heat?

I've watched most of the BBL, and until the "Mel incident" she was the only female commentator I'd seen (I've seen most but not all of the games). Since then, I've seen both of the other female commentators doing the boundary interviews. You know, the ones that actually have a cricket history.

Since then, I've seen both of the other female commentators doing the boundary interviews. You know, the ones that actually have a cricket history.

I tell you they were there in previous games too.

Not all of them because they had other playing & WBBL commentating duties.

Did we learn anything this season? Australia's batsmen dominate on flat true tracks, any hint of deviation, variable pace or bounce and they struggle.

Is this the best way to prepare for overseas tours like England and India

Last night in the Sydney one day marsh lost that game for Australia farking around for 2 overs trying to get 100.

If he was on 60 he would gave scored faster and more than wht he did.

In the end we lost by 2 balls of which he blowled more than that with wides.

He wasn't a team player last night.

So we should learn that cricket is a team sport.

Did we learn anything this season? Australia's batsmen dominate on flat true tracks, any hint of deviation, variable pace or bounce and they struggle.

Is this the best way to prepare for overseas tours like England and India

Think we learned that other then Ashes summers the Big Bash is now the main game in town. Ricky Ponting is the best recent player commentator around.

Tests in Kiwiland will be good, potential for pitches that do a bit, keen to see how our boys go.