On 03/04/2018 at 10:33 AM, Pencil_Towel said:

This will come across naive from me, but Smith press conference staright off the field on day 3 he kind of just played the captains role, took responsibility etc and kind of didn;t really look like he was fully aware of what was going on.  fast forward 7 days and i think he was completely shocked himself, makes me feel he wasnt 100% involved, again naive of me i understand, but he kind of looked blindsided by the scheming of others.  I think he would have objected to any such plot, hence why he wasnt informed, thats my take.  Warner looks more and more guilty everyday, Bancroft perfect fall guy.  big question though, how much did Lehmann, or any of the other players know.  As said above, naming names will come later and as a former grade cricket bowler, you know what condition the ball is in pretty much 100% of the time you are on the field.

On the day it all happened Smith moved Bancroft from his normal fielding position to positions where was relaying the ball between the keeper and the bowler and thereby getting his hands on the ball at least a few times every over. IMO Smith must have been involved.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Smith stated today he was serious when he said as Captain he would take full responsibility, and would not challenge the 12 month suspension. 

In my opinion this will get him back into the Australian team quicker than Warner, even if Warner challenges & gets his ban reduced to 3 months. I don't know if it's clever PR, or real, but he's making himself look like a martyr, taking one for the team and for Australian cricket.

One (or more) of 3 things has happened here:

1) Warner's been told they've put the red pen through his name, never to tour again and that he will cash in however he can. 

2) He is actually not the brains behind the debacle and has a just grievance for being painted as the instigator. feels used for being geed up as the sledgeing master for the team and then dropped in the poop

3) He is just receiving very poor advice compared to the other 2.

14 hours ago, Mike Del said:

On the day it all happened Smith moved Bancroft from his normal fielding position to positions where was relaying the ball between the keeper and the bowler and thereby getting his hands on the ball at least a few times every over. IMO Smith must have been involved.

How i read it is warner generally fields at mid off for pace bowlers. He is the ball maintenance officer (BMO). In the first couple of tests he was getting attention regarding the tape around his hand and fingers (had family names on it).  This I believe was a BT method he was using. Once he realised this he/they used Bancroft as the BMO as he wouldnt draw the attention.  However former SA bowler Fanie De Villiers was curious why the ball was reversing so early on 25th over mark on a grassy wicket. He got the cameramen to focus on the BMO position.  Then we all know what happened next. 

I am of the opinion it has been going on for a bit.  Mitchell Starc was probably the biggest beneficiary of it so did he miss the last test due to injury or to not getting heat towards him as all of sudden the ball wasnt reversing for him  

Conspiracy theories yes but just putting some puzzle pieces together

I'll start by saying that I support the action that has so far been taken against the players and think that further action should take place to change the culture of Australian cricket.

Show me a nation that hasn't been caught ball tampering and I'll need to finish this sentence somehow.  This isn't an issue with the culture of Australian cricket, it is about the culture of the game universally.  From friends who have played grade cricket for decades I understand that cheating by ball tampering is rife even down to juniors.  It is an accepted part of the game because it's cheating but you won't ever get caught unless you're stupid and "everybody else is doing it", so somehow that makes it okay.  No matter what happens at the senior or executive level at CA this isn't going to change.  It's like drugs in cycling and other endurance sports, trying to stamp it out at the top level is shutting the gate after the horse has bolted because by the time they've got there the behaviour is ingrained.  They probably wouldn't have reached there if they weren't already doing it.

• Like 2

The guys on "The Grade Cricketer" podcast had a genius solution to stop ball tampering,, take the pockets out of cricket pants. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

I'll start by saying that I support the action that has so far been taken against the players and think that further action should take place to change the culture of Australian cricket.

Show me a nation that hasn't been caught ball tampering and I'll need to finish this sentence somehow.  This isn't an issue with the culture of Australian cricket, it is about the culture of the game universally.  From friends who have played grade cricket for decades I understand that cheating by ball tampering is rife even down to juniors.  It is an accepted part of the game because it's cheating but you won't ever get caught unless you're stupid and "everybody else is doing it", so somehow that makes it okay.  No matter what happens at the senior or executive level at CA this isn't going to change.  It's like drugs in cycling and other endurance sports, trying to stamp it out at the top level is shutting the gate after the horse has bolted because by the time they've got there the behaviour is ingrained.  They probably wouldn't have reached there if they weren't already doing it.

I played Cricket from age 8-26 and not once did i ever see a team mate tamper with ball.  It was never discussed and never even practiced at training.  

I played high level cricket and cannot ever heard it ever being discussed or even thought about.  

43 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Maybe it's just in WA then.  :P

From my experience playing cricket in WA (Bunbury & Mandurah) the pitches are like ROADS! Weather, lack of moisture etc (im guessing) made them quite a batsmens paradise, you need to ball tamper to even the scales! :P I mean look at the bats they are using these days for goodness sake, block 4, reverse sweep off edge 6, its just ridiculous!  :lol:

37 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

From my experience playing cricket in WA (Bunbury & Mandurah) the pitches are like ROADS! Weather, lack of moisture etc (im guessing) made them quite a batsmens paradise, you need to ball tamper to even the scales! :P I mean look at the bats they are using these days for goodness sake, block 4, reverse sweep off edge 6, its just ridiculous!  :lol:

Ever played at Daymar in SW Qld?  We tried unsuccessfully defending 460 off 50 overs there once

And never saw any ball tampering either, plenty of bowler tampering with the stubbies on offer at the innings change though

23 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

And never saw any ball tampering either, plenty of bowler tampering with the stubbies on offer at the innings change though

That last sentence reminds me of every barefoot bowls i've been too,  I can remember getting there, having 'ONE' at each end, and then failing to remember leaving!

Edited by Pencil_Towel

55 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

That last sentence reminds me of every barefoot bowls i've been too,  I can remember getting there, having 'ONE' at each end, and then failing to remember leaving!

You arent alone. Ive done the same but add in thai chicken skewers. I think i made 3 ends. 

Work up in the catholic churchs front yard 1 block from my house the next day. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

You arent alone. Ive done the same but add in thai chicken skewers. I think i made 3 ends. 

Work up in the catholic churchs front yard 1 block from my house the next day. 

Could you sit down?

1 hour ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Must be pretty common.  At our annual Rugby Club's bowls day we'd get some old pensioner from the bowling club in each group insisting on a beer each end.  He'd be bowling "touchers" after an hour while the rest of us would gradually struggle to see the length of the green.

• Like 1

Just heard the goss is that ch7 has signed a deal with Fox and will be broadcasting most of the FTA cricket, including the big bash...

Tit for Tat - Nine takes the tennis, Seven goes the Cricket

Next footy deals should be interesting

• Like 1

Tests will be on FTA and Foxtel. But 50 over and International T20 will only be on Foxtel.

Test coverage needed a shake-up. Fox Sports should do OK with whatever they cover.

I think they'll struggle to recreate what 10 did with the Big Bash, Howie, Punter, Gilly, Flem and the crew and the general commentary style worked so well, they should look to get a few of those lads on board.

Hopefully ABC Grandstand keeps radio rights to the Tests.        

That means after this summer I will no longer be watching limited over cricket. I won't be alone in that.

That said, the arrangement is a breach of the anti-syphoning laws.

14 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

That means after this summer I will no longer be watching limited over cricket. I won't be alone in that.

Cricket Australia have an app that allows you to to listen and watch live cricket. If it is still available under the new deal I will consider buying it for $30 per year. Especially if it can chromecast.

3 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

There are loop holes. 

Ch9are the winners. One day barely were watched this summer. 

And with the top two players out, next few years will be piss poor. 

What I don’t get is the tennis  so much money for just 2 weeks  

They were says ng on the radio a few things in play. 7 needing more male viewers and 9 needing more females, these sports are designed to try and redress that balance. 

Apparentky 9 knew they were losing the cricket when they went hard for the tennis as the summer sports are what the networks use to spam viewers with new season promos. 

Ten will be the big loser with no summer sport the big bash apparently was quite good for them and as you will remember every second ad was for I’m a celebrity. 

24 minutes ago, roxii said:

and as you will remember every second ad was for I’m a celebrity. 

I don't remember, cause I didn't watch any big bash!  I did watch Celebrity.... once Tomic and Mundine had quit!

Channel 10 will do well to get the rights to 2 or 3 NBA games a week, will suit their target audience, has more 'show' than everything with possibly the exception of the big bash, and has a much longer season