Play with stats however you you want. Australia have a Win/Loss ratio of 4.5 to 1 at the Gabba compared to NZ's 1 to 8. Does it really matter whether they batted first or not?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

NZ scored more than 600 combined as the losing side including near on 300 for the 4th innings. To me this was a perfectly designed pitch for a result in 5 days.

Looking at the rain delays it really was 4 days of play. Seeing the side batting last still scored well, it was not the pitch that won it. Australia won by having better batsmen and bowlers. Simple.

Batting first and having a fast scoring rate means you can't lose.

Which is nice for the spectators, but does nothing to address batting techniques in adverse conditions. A glaring weakness which again, combined with Clarke's poor captaincy lost us the Ashes.

Batting first and having a fast scoring rate means you can't lose.

Which is nice for the spectators, but does nothing to address batting techniques in adverse conditions. A glaring weakness which again, combined with Clarke's poor captaincy lost us the Ashes.

spot on - except for the Clarke captaincy point - irrelevant when your top order (including Clarke) are getting out for 60 in the first innings ... I'd say some of Clarke's captaincy decisions were an attempt to mix things up to get back into the game - a bit like shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic as it turned out. The selectors however should have gone for Siddle as the No.4 bowler - when it became clear that Hazlewood could not hold a tight line and length as the two Mitch's hunted for wickets at the other end (and were spraying it about a fair bit) ...

spot on - except for the Clarke captaincy point - irrelevant when your top order (including Clarke) are getting out for 60 in the first innings ... I'd say some of Clarke's captaincy decisions were an attempt to mix things up to get back into the game - a bit like shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic as it turned out. The selectors however should have gone for Siddle as the No.4 bowler - when it became clear that Hazlewood could not hold a tight line and length as the two Mitch's hunted for wickets at the other end (and were spraying it about a fair bit) ...

I doubt Siddle would have made any difference to be honest Andrew. I actually thought Hazelwood bowled pretty well in the series (his first tour anywhere). He got wickets in every innings including a couple of three-fors I think even though he missed the last test. I also think Siddle has a history of falling off in form/fitness as long series go on.

It's all irrelevant anyway, as you highlighted, the issue was never our bowling, our batting was just abysmal!!!

First year in ages that I haven't been to the Gabba for the first test but, watching on TV, I didn't think it was a bad test match pitch. Australia has an awesome record in Brissy and we managed to bowl them out twice, a team with a solid batting line up, for around the 300 mark. It couldn't have been that batter friendly plus it turned a little for Lyon later on plus it swung when it was cloudy but there was maybe not as much lateral movement as normal on the first day/session.

I just think we just love the Gabba, batted brilliantly and bowled well with the luxury of plenty of runs to play with.

Edited by Buggeracup

Phil Hughes biography released today, co-written by Malcolm Knox and Peter Lalor.

Unfortunately we know all too well how it ends but should be a great read.

Know a few people from the Coffs area who had a bit to do with his early days moving through the age group rep teams so looking forward to having a read.

Edited by Riddos

1/271 of 58 at the Waca. Warner is on fire this series. Khawaja making the most of his chance in the 80s. Reported that the wicket is like a day 3 pitch. Interesting to see how the cracks open.

Edited by Plazbot

Love that Khawaja is taking a stranglehold on the No. 3 position, I always thought that he was the best of the fringe players due to his excellent technique. Like they say, form will come and go but technique is forever.

Unlike my comments about the Gabba, this pitch does look like a road. If it is like a Day 3 pitch then it should certainly start to get some good cracking up by Sunday. The only issue with that is that the result of the match essentially rested with the result of the toss. First session should certainly offer something for the bowlers.

Adelaide city council are pouring the pitch for the next Test as we speak, cant wait.

• Like 1

Adelaide city council are pouring the pitch for the next Test as we speak, cant wait.

Steel trowel finish??

If pitches are going to contibue to be like this, theyre going to have to revert to the 2 piece ball

Mitch Johnson calling it quits after today. Had some great Tests in Australia vs the Poms and Saffas.

Enjoyed watching him bat as well, such a clean strike when he got hold of one. Hopefully gets among some runs or wickets today.

Mitch Johnson calling it quits after today. Had some great Tests in Australia vs the Poms and Saffas.

Enjoyed watching him bat as well, such a clean strike when he got hold of one. Hopefully gets among some runs or wickets today.

Runs, yes. Wickets, doubtful.

Cricket Australia. Securing the future of test cricket. Take a bow, not!

I probably missed something. Over 1600 runs scored and we declare leaving them over 300 in 30 overs maximum.

Mitch out at 34, still in his prime if rested? 310 wickets in 72 Tests, nice haul.

Maybe they could throw a bit of aggregate in there for some variation?