I am still hung over from going to the Boxing day test.. Warner out 99 and then no ball discuss.it was awesome to be at the G for  that :P                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

I am still hung over from going to the Boxing day test.. Warner out 99 and then no ball discuss.it was awesome to be at the G for  that :P                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

He should have had some heel behind the line.

I'll bet Warne wished they had no-ball reviews when he was dismissed for 99. Sucker.

24 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I just don't like him.

• Thanks 1

So ... Australia were at least one bowler short, given we picked pie chuckers in slow Bird and Mitchy ‘one match’ Marsh. Especially given Cummins rough guts on day two.

That said Australia laboured manfully in the field after their late innings batting collapse and England showed some ticker ... for a change.

For all of that, the game would be in a totally different position if Smith held that chance from Cook when he was ‘only’ on 150 odd runs.

It’s England’s game to lose from here ...

This test should put a pommy mate of mine on his pasty arse. He bet on a 5 - 0 whitewash.

Edited by Merv

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

So ... Australia were at least one bowler short, given we picked pie chuckers in slow Bird and Mitchy ‘one match’ Marsh. Especially given Cummins rough guts on day two.

That said Australia laboured manfully in the field after their late innings batting collapse and England showed some ticker ... for a change.

For all of that, the game would be in a totally different position if Smith held that chance from Cook when he was ‘only’ on 150 odd runs.

It’s England’s game to lose from here ...

Smith put Cook down on 67, a much easier chance than the drop on 150.  Would have been a huge swing to the Aussies if he held either of those chances it would seem!

I think Bird was a bad choice to replace Starc with, good replacement for Hazelwood, but we need a Fire Brand to replace Starc, maybe Coulter-Nile (if he isnt injured)

Its a shame Pattinson is injured, he would have been ideal.

45 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Smith put Cook down on 67, a much easier chance than the drop on 150.  Would have been a huge swing to the Aussies if he held either of those chances it would seem!

I think Bird was a bad choice to replace Starc with, good replacement for Hazelwood, but we need a Fire Brand to replace Starc, maybe Coulter-Nile (if he isnt injured)

Its a shame Pattinson is injured, he would have been ideal.

How about an SOS to Mitch Johnson to step up for one last hit out at the Poms in tests at the MCG and perhaps even the SCG next week? Mitch has just turned 36 and is still uber fit and ... lively ...

40 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

How about an SOS to Mitch Johnson to step up for one last hit out at the Poms in tests at the MCG and perhaps even the SCG next week? Mitch has just turned 36 and is still uber fit and ... lively ...

Cook struggles against a left arm fast bowling, looked out to see when facing Starc, had no issues at all in his 244 no.

BRING BACK JOHNSON!

Unlikely off a prep for 4 over cricket.  Coming back for multiple spells, session after session, potentially day after day can't be bluffed.  Even for Johnson.   They risked it with Marsh knowing he only bowls token spells. 

How good are the Marshes.

Mel Jones commentating on the big bash, gee;s she belongs with channel 9 and not in the BBL team.   She would blend in well with Clark and Warne on nine, but channel 10 has been next level for years now re the commentators and what a step backwards, it just doesnt work with the alpha commentors of howie, waugh, punter, fleming, gillie etc

Edited by Oompa Loompa

I will have to admit the Marsh brothers proved me wrong. SA series is going to be outstanding. Hoping to make to to the Cape Town test. 

12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I will have to admit the Marsh brothers proved me wrong

Me too*

*But, it's only been against a piss weak England side.

:D

Our top order needs to stand up if we are any chance against the saffers. Smith cant continue being a permanent bandaid.  Steyn is injured again atm.

16 hours ago, Tyno said:

Me too*

*But, it's only been against a piss weak England side.

:D

Me too, I would like to think if I got 83 chances at playing test cricket, I'd score runs eventually.  Credit where credit due, they made the most of it.

5 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

if I got 83 chances at playing test cricket, I'd score runs eventually.  

You know you wouldn't.  And long Tom Moody was too long for Test cricket and he had talent so you are no chance 🍻

51 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

You know you wouldn't.  And long Tom Moody was too long for Test cricket and he had talent so you are no chance 🍻

knowing and like to think are two very different things. lol

maxwell is showing why he was left out tonight, even making siddle look like a former australian bowler.....lol

Mitch Marsh certainly proved me wrong, he has batted very well. That being said he still goes hard at the ball and plants his front foot very early which has all the hallmarks of a flat track bully. Additionally, he certainly hasn't been an all-rounder, his bowling has been poor and he has looked very much like a bowler who is coming back from a shoulder reconstruction!

Shaun has always had the talent and I've actually always been a fan but he's never seemed to have the mental fortitude to be honest. Hopefully this time it clicks for him because he has been a revalation in the middle order but gee, 9 chances in the Test team = blessed!

The South African series should be awesome and I expect them to comfortably beat the curry munchers because they tend to travel like a bag of prawns in the sun! Steyn is injured again and Philander has a history of never making it through long test series so our strength might end up being our resilience. I don't think many changes will be made for the squad for that tour. For me, I would take the current 11 + Handscomb, Bird, Sayers, Agar/Swepson and Joe Burns. If they decide to drop Bancroft, I hope they don't move Marsh up to open, he looks settled and confident at 5, Joe Burns would be the new opening batsman.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buggeracup said:

Mitch Marsh certainly proved me wrong, he has batted very well. That being said he still goes hard at the ball and plants his front foot very early which has all the hallmarks of a flat track bully. Additionally, he certainly hasn't been an all-rounder, his bowling has been poor and he has looked very much like a bowler who is coming back from a shoulder reconstruction!

Shaun has always had the talent and I've actually always been a fan but he's never seemed to have the mental fortitude to be honest. Hopefully this time it clicks for him because he has been a revalation in the middle order but gee, 9 chances in the Test team = blessed!

The South African series should be awesome and I expect them to comfortably beat the curry munchers because they tend to travel like a bag of prawns in the sun! Steyn is injured again and Philander has a history of never making it through long test series so our strength might end up being our resilience. I don't think many changes will be made for the squad for that tour. For me, I would take the current 11 + Handscomb, Bird, Sayers, Agar/Swepson and Joe Burns. If they decide to drop Bancroft, I hope they don't move Marsh up to open, he looks settled and confident at 5, Joe Burns would be the new opening batsman.

I agree whole heartedly with you on all the your observations and points. 

However I would swap out Burns for Renshaw in the touring party.  Technically, skillfully and style, Bancroft & Burns are the exact same batsman.  If you look at a break down of their dismissals, pitches they are strong and weak on it is identical.  Almost eerily similar.  I think Renshaw offers something else entirely and was hard done by not staying in the team for the Ashes.

Edited by Pencil_Towel
  • Like 1

think Burns got the guernsey under the old mates act,  warner and him are buddies

I agree that Renshaw should never have been dropped in the first place. 10 Test matches with 6 of them in Asia, averaging 36 including 1 century and 4 fifties plus he's the perfect foil for Warner. I'm not sure what more you could ask for from a 21 year old early in his career?

His only problem is that he's had no avenue to force his way back into the team. If they pick him based on no cricket, it's almost like the selectors are admitting they got it wrong, I can't see them doing that.

• Like 1