Interesting last session under the lights - the ball was zipping all over the place for the Poms and now they've got their tails up.

A lot of questions will be asked as to why Smith did not enforce the follow-on. In his defence, the pink ball hadn't really swung that much in the first two night sessions so I don't think he could have predicted it would move that much. Also he was probably careful about not working his bowlers excessively with all 5 Test matches to be completed within a 6 week period.

In reality, we've probably got enough runs already but another 100 runs tomorrow will ensure there can only be one winner. Although I expect Smith will bat for quite awhile tomorrow to really try and grind them into the dust before ensuring the ball is still relatively new when it's our turn to bowl at night (that's assuming our batsmen give Smith the option of when he chooses to declare).

On Tuesday, December 05, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Buggeracup said:

Interesting last session under the lights - the ball was zipping all over the place for the Poms and now they've got their tails up.

A lot of questions will be asked as to why Smith did not enforce the follow-on. In his defence, the pink ball hadn't really swung that much in the first two night sessions so I don't think he could have predicted it would move that much. Also he was probably careful about not working his bowlers excessively with all 5 Test matches to be completed within a 6 week period.

In reality, we've probably got enough runs already but another 100 runs tomorrow will ensure there can only be one winner. Although I expect Smith will bat for quite awhile tomorrow to really try and grind them into the dust before ensuring the ball is still relatively new when it's our turn to bowl at night (that's assuming our batsmen give Smith the option of when he chooses to declare).

Smith didnt enforce follow on because the white coats would had advise him the bowlers need rest as they had bowled enough overs for the day.  

And not only that Ex, his brother is now in the squad for Perth!  Any up and comers should change their surname to Marsh for auto selection in the years to come. 

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Marsh should have just booked his seat on any tour for the next 5 years with that ton.

I’d automatically select him for next 25 years, then just slot his kids straight in

• Like 1

So the other Marsh...looking alright out there with the bat, do we whinge that he didn't take a wicket or how do we handle this?

180+ not out at stumps. Does he need to take a wicket?

Looks like 2 Marshes in the team for a while to come. Then again, Dizzy Gillespie took a few wickets and scored 201 in his last test for Australia. Highest score ever by a nightwatchman, and the only player ever with an average under 20 to score a double century.

2 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

waca wicket has become shit, flat boring track these days.

I agree! They should never play another test there again!

1 minute ago, Tyno said:

I agree! They should never play another test there again!

lol, that new stadium looks impressive.  probably be a dropped in flat pitch though...........

I was (am?) one of the biggest opponents of M. Marsh (and his brother to a lesser degree) being in the Test team. I don't think he is one of the best 6 batsmen in the country or one of the 4 (5) best bowlers in the country and that should be the only criteria to wearing the baggy green. In fact I don't think he is even the best all-rounder in the country and his selection is based purely on potential rather than performance.

I also don't think Handscomb deserved to be dropped from a winning side when he averages 47 in Test cricket and when just 3 Tests ago he played a match winning innings against Bangladesh and 6 Tests ago helped saved the match against India in India.

That being said, Marsh's batting stats (at the WACA at least - not so much on other grounds) this season have been excellent and there is a lot to be said to picking a guy when he is in form. One score does not make a summer though and I really need to see some consistency particularly on wickets that aren't as batting friendly as this one and when Australia are in real trouble. 

However, despite what I said above, I'm an Aussie cricket fanatic and as an Aussie I'll support whoever is in the team and I'm ecstatic about his performance today and the fact that it has put us in a winning position.

• Like 1

the marshs are a bit like watson when it all turned to crap for him, couldnt get dropped for quids no matter what he did, then he started wasting our video umpire reviews and still cou;dnt get dropped for quids.

Always good to beat england in something.  As our rugby side is shit.  Dont think the ashes serious ever threatened the growing popularity of BBL

Got off the plane this morning to the news. Brilliant. Whatever you think of the make-up of the current team, they gave out a stack of lessons to the Poms....

Losing a Test by an innings and a bit when you score 400 in the first innings is quite terrible.

Edited by AA7

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Losing a Test by an innings and a bit when you score 400 in the first innings is quite terrible.

I'm sure they were never expecting anything like that at drinks on the 2nd morning. 4 for 350+ they would have been thinking they were already on track for a good draw. 

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-ashes/test-stars-unlikely-to-benefit-from-dukes-cricket-balls-before-2019-ashes-defence-20171220-h07sot.html

I think it an absurd waste of time playing with Dukes balls for the second half of the Shield season in Australia. The problem with Australian batsmen in england isn’t limited to the differences between the Kookaburra and Dukes balls - in fact our record in London (Lords and the Oval) with Dukes balls is comparable with an Aussie summer test series. No, the problem is the complete inability of modern Australian bats to play the ball late and adjust for the late movement of the ball off the pitch and through the air in Tests played in the English Midlands and in the North. Australian pitches and conditions are just not comparable, regardless of the ball used.

A much better idea is to start the Shield season 6 weeks earlier - at the beginning of September - in England - for the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Another good idea would be to set up a CA ‘winter academy’ in the Northern Summer to blood development players (indeed there should be a sub continent camp as well) and getting Australia A to have an extensive tour of England the year before the ashes (ditto with Australian A touring the sub continent with the year before the Indian test tour).

Finally, I think our test team should play a ‘barbarians’ style ‘super test’ series a month before the Ashes kicks off - in England - against the best available cricketers in the world.

That should fix the problem, quite nicely ...

• Like 1

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ashes-201718-mitchell-starcs-boxing-day-hopes-in-balance-despite-positive-injury-report-20171220-h07urk.html

Rest Starc for the South African tour by all means. But instead of slow Bird why not recall Mitch Johnson from the BBL for a two test cameo. That would completely blow the poms minds ...