I just spent 3 days at the match as part of a crowd of about 200 I reckon. As soon as we lost the toss we were going to be up against it, realistically, a draw was the best result we could aim for. That being said, the pitch didn't break up nearly as much as I expected and from 0/142, we needed to at least get on par with their first innings. 

Khawaja was amazing in the second innings (and the first for that matter) and in reality he is probably the only world-class batsman in this line up. I've never understood his perceived lack of ability against spin bowling, he has never really been given a chance against spin bowling in this part of the world. We never used to pick 'horses for courses' back in our glory days so I'm not sure why we do now - the best players are the best players anywhere in the world. 

A draw would have felt like a win for our guys (although I'm glad Paine didn't admit that) and maybe we can use this momentum into the second Test. Although, make no mistake, we were outplayed for over three days.

I rate Mitch Marsh as an all-rounder, but all-rounders bat at No. 6, and Marsh is not a Test No. 4. For the next Test, surely Renshaw (to replace Labuschagne) comes back in as opener and everyone drops down a spot. Except, Head can stay at 5 and Marsh drops backs to No. 6.

I'm glad that I was there to watch that!

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Had to work all 5 days so missed it. Attendance is always terrible. The T20 event last weekend in An Dab was even worse.

Yep, I've got no idea why they decided to play the match Sunday - Thursday (which is the exact working week in the UAE for those that don't know), stupid idea. Considering entry was free it was a very poor turn out. I at expected a few thousand Pakis to rock up but even they were few and far between. I wasn't able to attend for all three sessions but I took my young fella down for the last session and a bit on three of the days.

Young South Aussie legspinner Pope took 7 wickets in the Shield yesterday. Unfortunately it probably says as much about Aussies batting vs any sort of moving ball as it does about his talent and potential.    

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, Riddos said:

Young South Aussie legspinner Pope took 7 wickets in the Shield yesterday. Unfortunately it probably says as much about Aussies batting vs any sort of moving ball as it does about his talent and potential.    

I hope they don't Ashton Agar him, throw him into the Test team with a mountain of pressure, he plays and falls below expectation and it is than seen as a failure and he is let off into the Aus Domestic wilderness.

Admittably Agar is starting to carve himself into a good cricket

On 26/10/2018 at 8:49 AM, Riddos said:

My thoughts exactly. He’s a decent leggie, gives it a fair tweak, but his wrong’un is pretty obvious and it getting wickets is, as you say, testament to how shit 1st class Aussie bats are against spin these days. 

Hes still very young though so plenty of time to enhance and refine. 

I notice Abdul Qadir’s son is saying he is an Aussie and wants to play for Australia.

Elite Honesty has the Aussies at 3-8. Finch walked on an LBW he should have reviewed. At least those complaining this isn't on free to air don't seem to be missing much. A cast of dozens there for the Fox Sports commentary team.   

I think that Australia should send out an SOS to the West Indies, Ireland and PNG to see if they can send a team to Australia for a tour. It is the only way we are going to win a game this year.😀

Seems the Foxtel only experiment is off to a rough start - ratings as woeful as the Aussie performance.

Are the one dayers being played in Australia?  I just heard the news mention Hobart!

On 05/11/2018 at 10:05 PM, trinube said:

Seems the Foxtel only experiment is off to a rough start - ratings as woeful as the Aussie performance.

A few people I know who normally follow the cricket have lost all interest this year as at this stage they can't watch it on FTA TV. Performances aren't helping, but I'd say this is a bad move for CA overall.

Crowds, poor, performances not that bad, access to coverage poor.

Seems like a desperate grab from fox. They are locking away the one day matches, which no one cares about.

Most of the Big Bash will be on seven plus the tests.

I haven't minded the cricket on fox, I think the commentary is good. and there is the added bonus of no adds. Skull is always good and Warnie is actually bringing some technical knowledge without been the dickhead is used to be on 9

9 minutes ago, Limited said:

I haven't minded the cricket on fox, I think the commentary is good. and there is the added bonus of no adds. Skull is always good and Warnie is actually bringing some technical knowledge without been the dickhead is used to be on 9

Who are 7 bringing into the Com Box besides Ponting?

On 12/11/2018 at 8:42 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A few people I know who normally follow the cricket have lost all interest this year as at this stage they can't watch it on FTA TV. Performances aren't helping, but I'd say this is a bad move for CA overall.

I'm probably typical of this

I've usually had the cricket on on the background on TV at work, especially the Tests, and watch the one dayers on TV at home.... but not religiously ... if there's other stuff on or family dinner its just on in the background.

Each year myself and my brothers and nephews go to a one-dayer or two - we live all over the east coast so we go to either Syd, melb, canberra or brissy depending on dates. 

As the cricket merges away from free to air I can't see me continuing to be a regular spectator.  Its not important enough for me to pay for so it will vanish from my house. 

My son (nearly 5 year old) will probably not grow up (like I did) with cricket in the background on TV ...

This year is the first in a decade the none of my brothers of nephews have emailed to suggest our regular get-together.

Well done Cricket Australia .... way to kill the game

4 minutes ago, TryTriB4Forty said:

I'm probably typical of this

I've usually had the cricket on on the background on TV at work, especially the Tests, and watch the one dayers on TV at home.... but not religiously ... if there's other stuff on or family dinner its just on in the background.

Each year myself and my brothers and nephews go to a one-dayer or two - we live all over the east coast so we go to either Syd, melb, canberra or brissy depending on dates. 

As the cricket merges away from free to air I can't see me continuing to be a regular spectator.  Its not important enough for me to pay for so it will vanish from my house. 

My son (nearly 5 year old) will probably not grow up (like I did) with cricket in the background on TV ...

This year is the first in a decade the none of my brothers of nephews have emailed to suggest our regular get-together.

Well done Cricket Australia .... way to kill the game

Bloody hell, where have you been, haven't seen you post for ages.

Edited by FatPom

5 hours ago, Merv said:

Pretty sad when a lot of the oldies who only use FTA are eliminated by CA.

Totally agree with your point, i am also without Pay TV and havent botehred to watch any thus far.

BUT, funnily enough, my parents, their friends, friends of friends, all bought the Pay TV sports package over the past 10 or so years to watch the golf, now they are all laughing......:mellow:

P.S. they are all well over 60.

Edited by Pencil_Towel