roxii

Smart watches for dummies.

Not for me but for the (much) better half.

So what ones if any tick the following boxes.

Work with iphone

Not too big for a (small) female

Have a metal band (rubber and plastic bands give her a rashy thing)

Cheers

In all honesty, if she is, and will only be, an iPhone user then your best option is an apple watch. I don't know much about them as such (cause I'm not about Apple), but you can get them in two sizes, so go the smaller one. I'd say one with a metal band would cost a fair whack. Biggest issue by far is battery life. Have to charge it every day, maybe even more of heavily used. Apple say themselves rated for 18 hours use our whatever, which I think sux. Not waterproof.

I have a Pebble watch, which I like. But it's not anywhere as feature rich as apple and Android watches. Not as nice a screen but at least always on. Waterproof. Battery can last up to a week. The is a new one which is smaller and round but sacrifices battery life and full waterproofing.

I believe now days Android watches can work with iphones, but like the pebble watches, I'd say it's locked down a bit and won't work as well. Generally slightly better battery life (though still not good enough) and also not waterproof. It's that waterproof thing that keeps me away from them.

Just how much of the Smart features do you think she'll use? And is she a bit sporty? While I'm a bit Tech geek, what my garmin Fenix 3 does for me is enough. I still like a watch to be a watch first and foremost. But it might be a bit big for her. But they have 3 new models (forerunner 230, 235 (which has hrm built in watch) and 630). They are gonna have a lot of or all the Smart features of the F3, so notifications, weather, watch faces etc. Battery should last a lot longer, maybe a week, and track activity and sleep. Don't know how waterproof those models are though (I know I keep saying waterproof, but come on, a $20 casio from the servo is waterproof). There is a nice white and gold version of the F3, or the standard sapphire one with metal band.

Save your cash, there's nothing in the market that is really worth getting.

• Like 3

Damn Rog, now I gotta think of a present!!!!!

I think I may be in this boat as well ...

My wife has been umming and ahhing about getting one of the 'smart watches' for a while but she can't really decide on what to get and why its worth they money.

She has one of the cheap vivofit things that track activity and she wears a Garmin Forerunner for any runs or exercise (I think its a Garmin FR 220) ...

She wanted something to compliment the Forerunner as an 'everyday' watch and looked at the VivoActive touchscreen one (which has wrist based heart rate) and she has also looked at the Garmin watch (which would be compatible with Garminconnect and be able to synch her daily activity with her running etc (I assume))

She more wants it to track her activity during the day ....

Not really sold on any of them being too awesome at the moment - especially when you have a smartphone in your pocket that does a whole lot of other stuff. Seem like a lot of money to track your daily activity, especially when she uses the Forerunner for anything 'active' ....

Would be interested in other peoples views on whats good and what features people use and why its a good investment .....

What I like about the notifications is about half the time I don't have to get my phone out of my pocket, or go grab it off my desk. Most of the time I'm gonna use my phone to reply anyway, so not being able to reply via the watch ain't a big thing.

Personal preference but I got my wife a Vivoactive for her last b'day. She does some recreational swimming, biking and running, but nothing hard core. Wanted something to track time and distance for those three activities plus a step tracker.

Overall happy with it, a couple of bugs with dropping connection to the phone, and the run speed on the treadmill seems off, but other than that it is good. We are a bit of a Garmin household though!

Really depends on exact usage expectations.

I have a Pebble Steel and only use it for vibration alerts from my phone, alarms(co's I am deaf) and occasionally a template SMS reply. I chose the Pebble because it lasts 5-6 days on a single charge and is water proof, otherwise I wouldn't have a smart watch.

As usual the technology has not met the hype. The screens are and will always be to small to be practical, it needs to be paired with a phone, without the phone it is useless. If it connects to Wifi by itself the battery will last a few hours.

Just about all mobile electronic devices have gone about as far as they can. So until you read about a new Battery being released that is 100% longer lasting, you can ignore the hype and only get something if you really need it and don't mind being chained to a charger.

the run speed on the treadmill seems off

That was the same with my F2, and with my F3. Trying to use the accelerometer in the watch to judge pace and distance is just not accurate. I'd say mine were about 20% out, though I don't know how accurate our treadmill is either. Have a footpod now.

Mate if you want to get her something cool there's a new cordless Dyson that will really earn you some brownie points :D

or a new lawnmower

:lol: the last one I bought her for a chrissy present is still going strong. She was having serious trouble starting the old two stroke while I was out doing my long rides, so I did the right thing and bought her a shiny new 4 stroke.

Whipper snipper was Mother's Day.

I agree, I just don't see the appeal.

I agree. The technology is nowhere near as advanced as it should be. Little more than a gimmick.

Edited by zed

I agree. The technology is nowhere near as advanced as it should be. Little more than a gimmick.

The technology is fine, it's just a solution to a non existant problem.

I have the vivoactive and love it.. It's extremely light weight and you can load different screens.. It's the best female Garmin I've had ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an Apple Watch, the larger 43mm one. Cost around $580. It goes well and does what I ask of it. It's not officially waterproof so you can't use it for swimming. It does work well with the iPhone if you have a lot of SMS'es and calendar reminders etc. The handsfree calls part does work ok, but it's not fantastic.

It takes my heart rate, counts calories and all that stuff.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

If it had a camera on the front for Facetime then it would be an impressive unit and I believe this feature may be coming next year.

If it had a camera on the front for Facetime then it would be an impressive unit and I believe this feature may be coming next year.

:lol: Dick Tracey calling GoGo Gomez!

Ummm, I understand that there is this stuff called perfume that all the girls go crazy for ... Worth a look?

• Like 1