Turts

IMWA Busso 2015

For many people in Perth, today was the last long ride before IMWA. The bike path on the freeway south was full of TT bikes and aero helmets.

Perth turned on the "perfect" weather for it - 38° and windy. Well done everyone who got a long ride in today. I threw myself into the ocean when I got back.

• Like 2

Given:

1. 1600 starters

2. a 2 x 90km bike course

3. a theoretical maximum field of 2000

It seems a no bariner to run a 70.3 on the same day with a 500 field limit (actually if both races were staggered properly I reckon another 1000 on that course would be doable). Start the 70.3 90 minutes after the last of the IM field starts - no problems!

With no Melbourne next year and making no assumption about the Western Sydney announcement they might be hoping to build numbers at the easiest Ironman in the universe?

With no Melbourne next year and making no assumption about the Western Sydney announcement they might be hoping to build numbers at the easiest Ironman in the universe?

Bored@ has already entered the 2016 race in an attempt to go sub 11

There is a very small team of us this year at IMWA representing Smiling for Smiddy. Adam Smiddy was the son of a friend of mine, and was a good young triathlete who died from Melanoma at the age of 26.It is a high risk sport we play in with regard to being out in the sun, and hopefully the few dollars I can raise will go towards the cause.

If anyone wants to flick in a buck, or too that would be great.Every bit helps

Alternatively show your support during the race to the team, with a "Go Smiddy!"

You will see us out there on course.I'll be at the back end of the race.

my webpage https://secure.artezpacific.com/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?registrationID=909065&langPref=en-CA

• Like 2

Oh man, this thread was buried on page 3!!!!!!

Consider it resurected.

Im ony way...... Night one Port Augusta

• Like 1

Oh man, this thread was buried on page 3!!!!!!

Consider it resurected.

Im ony way...... Night one Port Augusta

Port Augusta, the town of..... well the town of..... Um..... Stuff I guess?

B@W, I have driven Perth Adelaide probably 12 times in the past few years. I was subbying at West End brewery for a while, enjoyed the long car drives so I thought "why not"! LOL Best I did it was 36hrs in my Micra! LOL woooooooo

I thought flying overseas seas to race was a challenge. Driving from Mildura to Busso is just nuts.

Its a good trip

Playing golf across the nullarbour links, 2 nights at wave rock. Then get to busso the sat before the race weekend. Its our big trip for the year.

Good times!

• Like 2

This is only the second. We did it in 2010.

We like driving and theres a surprising amount to see

• Like 1

Its a good trip

Playing golf across the nullarbour links, 2 nights at wave rock. Then get to busso the sat before the race weekend. Its our big trip for the year.

Good times!

Are you playing the last hole in Kalgoorlie? I was there a couple of weeks ago, the Jacaranda trees are in full bloom and looking fantastic, so were the skimpies in the gold bar :smile1: If you have time go and have a look at the super pit from the look out, it is only about 10 minutes out of Kalgoorlie. The Oasis 50m pool is fantastic I got a lane to myself for an hour at "peak" hour 6am.

• Like 1

Are you playing the last hole in Kalgoorlie? I was there a couple of weeks ago, the Jacaranda trees are in full bloom and looking fantastic, so were the skimpies in the gold bar :smile1: If you have time go and have a look at the super pit from the look out, it is only about 10 minutes out of Kalgoorlie. The Oasis 50m pool is fantastic I got a lane to myself for an hour at "peak" hour 6am.

Yeah cool, will do. We were going to go south , but with the fires we changed plans for kalgoorlie

• Like 1

Nundroo, Wombat Hole.

Par - 5.

My score - 9.

My balls lost - 2.

Someone elses much better and newer balls found - 3.

• Like 2

I think that means you should be able to take the +1 ball off you score.

Id call it 8

And i beat the other half by 1. Can i add that too?

And i beat the other half by 1. Can i add that too?

2 of you in a car for 3000 Ks,,,, I wouldn't push it.

I

2 of you in a car for 3000 Ks,,,, I wouldn't push it.

3000? More like 10,000 by the end of the trip. Yeah. But its my car. I can leave him behind.......

Cocklebiddy

Eagles Nest.

Par 4.

Round 1,

Tie at 7 apiece.

I lost 1 ball, found 1 better.

He lost 1

Round 2

Me 9, other half 7.

I lost no balls, he lost one.

So he's the Eagle, and I'm the Wombat. Very fitting I suppose!

But i reckon im ahead.....i found more balls at least!

Or, we're even. For the sake of peace in the car

Superpit done, awesome.

Hit the pool this morning at 615, till 7.

3 lanes tagged for the swim squad. Kids.

3 public lanes (1 slow, 1 medium, 1 fast).

4 lanes tagged as the tri club. Wow - lots of them!

If anyone here is in that group, I was the epileptic whale thrashing up and down the slow lane in the yellow cap and blue seventy trisuit.

Thanks for the tips!

• Like 2

Glad you enjoyed Kalgoorlie. What was the final golf score?

Not keeping track of numbers anymore...... Too disturbing

But we're even on holes won, with one draw.

Im winning on putts. He's better on driving.

Proble play 3 more holes on the way back, maybe 4. Its ptetty fun- but beware the bouncing ball. With all the rocks they can go anywhere!!

At Wave Rock now. Nice place for a run this morning, with a hill!

And flies

Edited by The Turtle
  • Like 2

Will they cancel the swim due to stingers?

Might not be too many down there. Open water swim in Perth couple of weeks ago was swarmrd and I think 3 ended up in hospital. Still, at least stingers won't chomp ya leg off

e7eeb180849e4d50dc15682acedd93e3.jpg

It's heating up! [emoji295]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't be hot and windy, well at least not wind from the SW. If the seabreeze comes in, temps will be OK, but ride will be a mare. If it doesn't come in, run will be a mare.

Might not be too many down there. Open water swim in Perth couple of weeks ago was swarmrd and I think 3 ended up in hospital. Still, at least stingers won't chomp ya leg off

Last year Cam Brown was a DNF due to Jellyfish stings in Malaysia.

We're here!

Its bloody windy, and smokey . Must be a big fire really close

And fly - ey

Edited by The Turtle

Almost a week out, and I'm coming down with a cold! I haven't had one for ages, but woke up this morning with that sore-throat feeling - grrr!

Ive done a couple this season - biggest DNFs Ive seen at races and the worst stingers Ive experienced. . Some of the kids have been stopping mid race, screaming and calling for aid and exiting mid race. Lots of kids crying on the beach afterwards. Cant be good for the sport of ows.

I got a few in the mouth last race - not pleasant at all.

Sounds great. Is jesters pie shop still there?

I hope theres still one at Busso - my traditional post race meal is 2-3 pies. Spud deluxe, footy and whatever I fancy at the time.

For many people in Perth, today was the last long ride before IMWA. The bike path on the freeway south was full of TT bikes and aero helmets.

Perth turned on the "perfect" weather for it - 38° and windy. Well done everyone who got a long ride in today. I threw myself into the ocean when I got back.

Though I better do at least one longish ride before the the race so did my longest ride today, down to South Yangeboup and back - 150ks / 4hrs:10. A few out there, but unsuprisingly, not many passed Karnup road. Ha ha, Im working off two the theories: if you haven't trained much, you don't need much taper. It's better to be 10 percent undertrained than 5 percent overtrained. Though I thought Id see if the later works for 30% undertrained.

I do know better, but Ive had a pretty good 6 months and just don't care.

• Like 1

No, the stingers are at the end of the jetty, we only go half way then cut the course.... LOL

Whats the water temperature like? I haven't swum much so probably don't have the fitness to wear a wetsuit. Ive only used a wetsuit once in my last 5 ironmen and was thinking of not wearing one at Busso either.

I hope theres still one at Busso - my traditional post race meal is 2-3 pies. Spud deluxe, footy and whatever I fancy at the time.

Yep, Jesters is still there, in the same shop as Krispy Kreme.

My fav after-race stop used to be "The Great Australian Ice-creamery" at Hervey Bay. I don't know if they still do it, but if anybody remembers "The Kitchen Sink" they'll know why it was my favourite.

Whats the water temperature like? I haven't swum much so probably don't have the fitness to wear a wetsuit. Ive only used a wetsuit once in my last 5 ironmen and was thinking of not wearing one at Busso either.

Temp is nice. Be fine without a wettie. What do you mean you don't have the fitness to wear a wetsuit?

Ive got a broken finger at the moment, but with the way my backs feeling today, if a splinted pinky is the worst i start with, ill be happy

• Like 1