Go Easy

4 Peaks - Bright Alpine Climb

Even though I only live a few hours away from Bright I've only ever been through the place a couple of times on my way up to the snow. People keep telling me about how nice a spot it is for some running and riding so I penciled the Bright Alpine Climb ( http://www.4peaks.com.au/ ) in my diary and then virtually forgot about it.

It looks like the event is actually four separate runs over four days (Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue) and the run distances vary from 10k's to 15k's and take in each of the peaks of Mystic, Feathertop, Hotham & Buffalo so each run will be solid but still very achievable.

Has anyone here ever done it? Is anyone going this year?

I haven't put an entry in or booked any accommodation as yet, but I do have a couple of friends going so I think I'll go and see what all the fuss is about.

So once again I'll pick everyone's brains on where to stay, what to do and what else to look at while I'm up there.

(If anyone else is keen you don't have to do all the runs, each one is a separate event and only $12 to enter).

Edited by Go Easy

You won't get any accomadation in bright or punka

Might be Lucky in myrtle ford or mt buety though

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

The runs are all pretty simple unless you are wanting line honours

90% of the people doing it are just walkers

I'll be running buffalo on Monday after doing the 3 peaks 250k grand loop on Sunday

you can tag along if you want

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

You won't get any accomadation in bright or punka

Just booked a motel unit (cheap as) for Friday night and will probably just camp with some friends Sat, Sun, Mon.

I'll be running buffalo on Monday after doing the 3 peaks 250k grand loop on Sunday

you can tag along if you want

I take it you mean a solo rebel run on buffalo... not one of the organised runs. If so, how far and roughly what time?

And I'm guessing you mean a 250k ride around 3 of the peaks on a Road Bike??? I don't have a Road Bike, only a TT Bike (which I haven't ridden since Port IM in May) and an MTB (that I commute to work on).

Take the mtb

Lots of great trails around here

Yu could do the loop with me on either bike

Last time I did the 250 I did it on my fatbike, I'll be doing it on my TT bike on Sunday

I'll be leaving punka (my place) at 5-30 am for a return run via another climb to buffalo

Will take around 7.5 hrs

Cheers

Ivp

Cheers, thanks mate I'll take the MTB then. But far out brussel sprout 250k's! There's no way known that I'd be able to keep up with you on either bike. I've never ever ridden anything over 180km's... ever! There's never been any need!

I'll probably aim to try and do each of the 4 peaks runs if possible, just to say that I've done them. Then will try to kick start my bike riding a bit by doing a few casual rides. You never know, I might spot you out there. Not sure if you remember my MTB but it's a Black, Green & White Trek. It goes alright, I just hold on!

Hopefully I'll catch up with you somewhere. Just give me a call or txt me if you're keen (assuming you've still got my number) just don't assume I'll see something on here, as I'm useless on this social media stuff (trannies & facebook etc).

I've done the 4 peaks alpine climb. Did all climbs in 2012 and in several previous years picked 2-3 of the runs to do. It's a pretty brutal event. Mystic is the 'easiest ' but the fast down hills shred your quads which you will regret in following days. Hotham is brutal and never ends. You will be proud if you get through all 4. Buffalo is a lovely run but its around 12km if varying grades. Expect reasonable runners to take about 90min uses on that one. Even the elite mountain runners walk up some sections - you'll know what i mean about 2 km in on the day 1 Mystic rUn ???. Be self sufficient on feathertop hotham and buffalo. The feather top run has no road down to catch a lift so it will be a 24km day - youll need a couple of litres. There is a spring several kms from the top but it's hard to find - just a tiny sign and warning about water quality but it's fine. Dont stand on the snow drifts on feathertop. You will be standing on not much more than air. My favourite event of all time. Good luck.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 2

Far out TC, that sounds amazing. Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that the runs were anywhere near that tough. I though we were just going for a few casual runs around the hills... at least now I can be a bit prepared.

I'm not keen on the downhills shredding my legs bit. I reckon the worst, most painful part, of any run I've ever done was the last 1km downhill section at the end of the Six Foot Track. Luckily that section was also amazingly satisfying seeing Caves House come into view and hearing the crowd cheering from down the bottom, so it easily made up for all the pain.

Hopefully this weekend the painful downhills will be rewarded by some great views at the top and a few refreshments afterwards at the Bright Brewery. Not that I'm a big drinker, but I do like to be social.

• Like 1

Far out TC, that sounds amazing. Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that the runs were anywhere near that tough. I though we were just going for a few casual runs around the hills... at least now I can be a bit prepared.

I'm not keen on the downhills shredding my legs bit. I reckon the worst, most painful part, of any run I've ever done was the last 1km downhill section at the end of the Six Foot Track. Luckily that section was also amazingly satisfying seeing Caves House come into view and hearing the crowd cheering from down the bottom, so it easily made up for all the pain.

Hopefully this weekend the painful downhills will be rewarded by some great views at the top and a few refreshments afterwards at the Bright Brewery. Not that I'm a big drinker, but I do like to be social.

Don't worrie GE

The "runs " aren't that hard , as I posted earlier they are as hard as you want to make em

If your a racing machine like TC then yes it will hurt and the downhills are always the hardest of any hill climb espually if your racing em

One thing you should be careful with is managing your fatigue seeing you just did your first 100ker then id be taking things very easy and pumping the carbs in

Cheers

Ivp

If your a racing machine like TC then yes it will hurt...

Haha, it'll only hurt if I'm a racing machine... I should be fine then!

One thing you should be careful with is managing your fatigue seeing you just did your first 100ker then id be taking things very easy and pumping the carbs in

Interesting that you say that. I hadn't thought about increasing carbs etc, I don't really think too much about that kind of stuff, but I did think I'd lost a bit of weight over the last 4 or 5 days since the 100k'r. I'm assuming that kind of run must get your metabolism ticking over as part of your recovery... or maybe it's just the I've been really busy at work and just haven't eaten properly. Either way I've done nothing this week and have lost weight.

Haha, it'll only hurt if I'm a racing machine... I should be fine then!

Interesting that you say that. I hadn't thought about increasing carbs etc, I don't really think too much about that kind of stuff, but I did think I'd lost a bit of weight over the last 4 or 5 days since the 100k'r. I'm assuming that kind of run must get your metabolism ticking over as part of your recovery... or maybe it's just the I've been really busy at work and just haven't eaten properly. Either way I've done nothing this week and have lost weight.

Start forcing the fluid in also

Most of your weight loss would be fluid loss

Otherwise if you do all these runs you could get very run down and really crooke

• Like 1

The best bit of 6ft! If you enjoy these races you will have to head back down in April for the Buffalo Stampede. It incorporates Mystic & Buffalo into a single run :) and throws in clearspot and another climb for the fun of it. Awesome weekend and brutal race.
  • Like 1

Far out, that would be brutal!

Tell you what Logic, I'm in if you're in... provided it doesn't clash or stuff up the Tri Races I've got planned for next year.

Far out, that would be brutal!Tell you what Logic, I'm in if you're in... provided it doesn't clash or stuff up the Tri Races I've got planned for next year.

Logic did it this year , the run I'm doing on Monday takes in most of that course if your keen

Looking a bit wet for your run today, and tommorow which hill are you going up first?

Cheers

Ivp

A bit damp. Glad we were in a motel room at least for the first night, I didn't fancy putting up a tent in the rain.

Tomorrow - Harrietville to the top of Mt Feathertop.

• Like 2

Early starts. Over by morning tea. Cycle each afternoon. Beers each night.

Sounds a perfect 4 days.

• Like 2

Far out, that would be brutal!

Tell you what Logic, I'm in if you're in... provided it doesn't clash or stuff up the Tri Races I've got planned for next year.

It is definietly on the schedule for next year (Smack bang between 6ft and NF100 so great training weekend). The major decision for me this year is whether I do the Marathon (which I did this year) or the Ultra (which follows the course back to the start).

I am probably going to do the Marathon (Sunday) but it is also the same weekend as Paris Roubaix which is also the Sunday evening so staying awake after a long race like that is tough. Doing the Ultra on the Saturday would give me a marginally better chance at staying awake :) Eitherway the weekend is fantastic.

• Like 2

Early starts. Over by morning tea. Cycle each afternoon. Beers each night.

Sounds a perfect 4 days.

Haha, yep it rained most of this morning and throughout the run. Had a great run and a great day. Plenty of beers at the Octoberfest do in the park and then more beers and pizza at Bright Brewery. It was a good day!

Had a great time on all four days of this years 4 Peaks Alpine Climb. We had everything from lightning, hail, sleet, and bucketing rain to clear days and brilliant sunshine - it's amazing how quick the weather can change up there. The climb up Mt Hotham couldn't go ahead due to a swollen creek (or something like that) so we ended up doing Feathertop again via 'The Wall' behind the Trout Farm. That was tough!!!

Like IP stated there are also lots of walkers / hikers that do this event so it is certainly something that most people could do. Although they are tough if you are racing them, I'd recommend these runs to anyone. It was definitely one of my favourite all time weekends of running. Apart from injury I'll almost certainly be coming back next year.

Now, what's next...

• Like 3

Great effort Go Easy, saw the finishers up on Buffalo on the Tuesday. Spoke to a runner he reckons Harrietville to Hotham takes about 90mins running, thats faster than a lot of people could do it on a bike! Fair play getting up Feathertop twice, riding up Hotham on the Monday was intetresting, visibility was very poor and a lot of rain, but it made you feel alive up there. Great part of the country.

• Like 1

Fair play getting up Feathertop twice, riding up Hotham on the Monday was intetresting, visibility was very poor and a lot of rain, but it made you feel alive up there. Great part of the country.

The Sunday run up Feathertop along Bungalow ridge was 'called off' due to lightning strikes at the summit. As I was one of the last runners to start I made it to within about 300m of the top when we came across runners coming the other way, falling over themselves trying to get away from the lightning and saying that that they were turning everyone around. You are pretty exposed up there.

Then on the Monday the weather was fairly good until you got to within a K of the summit. Then the wind picked up, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees and you had icy sleet/hail coming at you sideways. Still amazing though, you have to experience it to believe it. It definitely made you feel alive!

• Like 2

What's next he asks ???

GE my mad ultra mate is looking at this. Below link. You two would get on well together. Both nuts !!

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=34762

Wow. Vol State! That is run by the same dude who organises the Barkley Marathons. Ultra runner podcast had a cool interview with the guy who won the unsupported Vol State.

The Sunday run up Feathertop along Bungalow ridge was 'called off' due to lightning strikes at the summit. As I was one of the last runners to start I made it to within about 300m of the top when we came across runners coming the other way, falling over themselves trying to get away from the lightning and saying that that they were turning everyone around. You are pretty exposed up there.

Then on the Monday the weather was fairly good until you got to within a K of the summit. Then the wind picked up, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees and you had icy sleet/hail coming at you sideways. Still amazing though, you have to experience it to believe it. It definitely made you feel alive!

Mate you should have come with me on the Sunday doing the 250 loop

I had all this and more , several times.

But as you say it's an amazing part of the world and everyone should get out and about in it

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

Mate you should have come with me on the Sunday doing the 250 loop...

Would have loved to have been able to, but it probably would have killed me. Maybe one day when I'm a bit fitter, and when you aren't in peak condition from all your Ultraman training!

But as you say it's an amazing part of the world and everyone should get out and about in it...

Absolutely! I just love seeing people getting out and doing what they enjoy anywhere, but if you had to pick a spot to enjoy the great outdoors then this place takes a bit of beating!

Was almost going to take the wife back this weekend but thought I'd better stay at home and get a few jobs done to earn enough brownie points to be able to take on my next challenge...

Would have loved to have been able to, but it probably would have killed me. Maybe one day when I'm a bit fitter, and when you aren't in peak condition from all your Ultraman training!

Absolutely! I just love seeing people getting out and doing what they enjoy anywhere, but if you had to pick a spot to enjoy the great outdoors then this place takes a bit of beating!

Was almost going to take the wife back this weekend but thought I'd better stay at home and get a few jobs done to earn enough brownie points to be able to take on my next challenge...

Lucky you didn't come back this weekend

It's hot rod weekend and the place is chockers full of very fat, very rude, very pissed f&ck wits

They bring in 60 extra cops and a mobile cell for the weekend

Not sure why the town needs this espually after the weeken we just had with soo much riding and running going on with all the visitors

Cheers

Ivp

Cheers mate, sounds like I was lucky I didn't make it this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be down there in the not too distant future anyway.

Maybe we need to organize an unofficial Trannies Training Weekend down there. Plenty of good value accommodation and lots to see & do. I'll work on that one!

Cheers mate, sounds like I was lucky I didn't make it this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be down there in the not too distant future anyway.

Maybe we need to organize an unofficial Trannies Training Weekend down there. Plenty of good value accommodation and lots to see & do. I'll work on that one!

Mrs shuffla is doing a training camp around new year if your interested

Cheers

Ivp

Mrs shuffla is doing a training camp around new year if your interested

Cheers

Ivp

With a traning group down there or just down there solo? I only ask because I am always down in Tawonga between Christmas & NY for a training camp.

With a traning group down there or just down there solo? I only ask because I am always down in Tawonga between Christmas & NY for a training camp.

Training group I believe

Cheers

Ivp