Go Easy

Ned Kelly Chase - 100km Run

Good stuff GE

Perfect day for it

Cheers

Ivp

Yeah, awesome effort. Good tick off the list!

• Like 2

Awesome effort GE. Love your attitude to it all.

Of course we can put this brilliant performance down to all the positive vibes you've received from this site during awesome October. :)

• Like 2

Started with Hiltz at 2.00am and pretty much ran with him for the first 25km then lost sight of him. Hope the poor bugger finished because he was great giving me heaps of advice and valuable tips for my race.

Negative. As soon as I started drinking that liquid carbs thing it all turned to shit (literally, which is why I vanished just before the 25kms mark). I chucked about 32km mark, then got back to running... By 45km aid station I was in a massive hole. Pulled the pin at 50kms. I completely understand how bad for those who have trouble stomaching that stuff. Ouch.

Note to self. Read pre race documents properly before starting (I thought they were going to have gels, they did, but only the last half). I only had two on me at the start. Oops. I only starting eating/drinking and keeping it down this morning :(

• Like 4

Good to hear that you are ok Hiltz. It's a bugger that your race ended like that, you were going well up until then.

I thought that they were going to have Gels at every aid station as well. As it turns out, even though I didn't overly like the taste of the Torq Energy Drink (the first time I've ever had it was at the first aid station) it's virtually the only thing that I had all day. I had no breakfast at all before starting and only 3 x 20mm cubes of Fruit Cake & 3 pieces of Banana about the same size throughout the whole event. I also drank coke for the last 25k's but that was all, nothing else. I think sometimes we over complicate this stuff.

Thanks for you tips and encouragement to do this event.

It was a good call, I had a great day!

• Like 2

Of course we can put this brilliant performance down to all the positive vibes you've received from this site during awesome October. :)

Don't underestimate it, the positivity and encouragement from this site is amazing and it's a huge part of why I'm still getting out and doing this stuff. Work has been a real bugger lately so this has been a great distraction and without it I think I'd be in trouble.

So once again thanks everyone for your advice and support.

• Like 2

A pleasure to watch.

So GE. What's next. A rally. A tri. A motorbike race. Horse racing?

Look after yourself. And don't be scared to find someone professional to talk to. Eg.

Local GP can give referrals. Workplaces have confidential services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, yes work is a bugger. Might post more later in another thread.

Rallies are finished for this year, so that eases the stress a bit. Calendar is full right up till Christmas, mainly with runs, tri's and houseboat adventures etc so that's all good and kind of relaxing.

Haven't entered yet but the 4 Peaks run in Bright is looking good this coming weekend.

Three Peaks may have been right up your alley GE, but they cancelled this year's race, and have put it on hold indefinately. That was one race I always dreamed about doing. Ocean racing & mountain running. Can life get any better?

• Like 1

Down in Tassie. A friend of mine (a runner) did it a long time ago and he was telling me about it. Sounded great!

There's some pretty cool events around if you can afford to do them.

I was hoping that maybe one day I might get the chance to have a go at the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. Don't think it's going to happen now though.

I got a call from the organisers of this event a couple of days ago inviting me back - I'd imagine they probably do the same to all past competitors.  I can't make it this year as I'm broken (again), but as it was a really good event I thought I'd give it a plug in case anyone was interested.

http://www.nedkellychase.com.au/

Was going to start a new thread but figured there's lots of good tips and thoughts from experienced runners on this thread so it might be useful if anyone is keen on Ultra running.  It's a unique event and lots of fun.  You don't have to do the full 100km's as there are also shorter and relay options available.

The organisers are super helpful if you've got any questions, or just ask here and I'll get back to you when I can if no one else has already answered.