Supamau

IM Melb canned??? WTF???!!! Really???!!!

Of the 75 slots available from this race for the 2016 IRONMAN World Championship, will be distributed across Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns, Kellogg's Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand, IRONMAN Australia, Port Macquarie; the remaining 10 slots will be allocated among athletes who transfer...

Are they likely to split for additional 65 slots fairly evenly over the other 3 races, or do you think they'll favour the ones they want to support more to get more entries in.

I went top 20% in Louisville lets see if you can go top 50% in your home race.

Gee those yanks must be slow

Lol

CheersIvp

• Like 1

Unfortunately, without a calculator, that probably would be in the top 20% these days.

His numbers are wrong anyway.

Gee those yanks must be slow

Lol

CheersIvp

I use my finishing position as a gauge. When I first started racing IM my goal was top 50% I did notice a lot more bucket listers & first timers at the race.

No drafting packs on a hilly course would have also contributed to slower times.

Expect faster times in Busso with extra competitors & more drafting (if possible) on the bike.

Interesting article in paper... F1 says the IM could go ahead - no issue with them. Spokesperson for sports minister says no issue - still have permits, etc. I personally know major events was happy with IM.

Bubble has burst

Edited by Steno
  • Like 2

Interesting article in paper... F1 says the IM could go ahead - no issue with them. Spokesperson for sports minister says no issue - still have permits, etc. I personally know major events was happy with IM.

Bubble has burst

Big call and coming from you I'd say on the money.

I do wonder what the contract was that IM signed with Melb major events? Was it a 5yr deal. If so that would have ended with the cancelled race.

Was it going to be the last anyway?

Was this an early get out for Ironman?

I know for a fact that Busso is the cheapest and easiest race for Ironman to run. They don;t even need a sponsor.

As for Port and Cairns I have no idea.

Then Melbourne that we know couldn't run self sufficient.

So the question is, was this the escape Ironman needed?

--------------

Slots split evenly I've been told (Go Easy)

• Like 1

I do wonder what the contract was that IM signed with Melb major events? Was it a 5yr deal. If so that would have ended with the cancelled race.

Was it going to be the last anyway?

Was this an early get out for Ironman?

So the question is, was this the escape Ironman needed?

Was a five year deal

I would say this is the early out... the demand bubble has burst and the "fad" entries have moved on to other physical events. Three Peaks to be the next bubble to burst.

The newspaper article (think it was today's Herald Sun) certainly talked to much lower entries and reading between the lines IM took the option to cut their loses.

Article yesterday said Frankston council hadn't been spoken to, now F1 say no issue and Vic Government says no issue. IM states issues around emergency services, impact on city, etc. I would have left this to the Government and the Emergency Services to make a ruling on if I wanted an event to run...........................

• Like 1

His numbers are wrong anyway.

Pretty easy to check.

1) Go to official results page.

2) Check your overall rank.

3) Check overall rank of last finisher.

4) Do a tiny bit of maths.

I guess if you include the DNS and DNFers we'd all jump up the list. Just wait until the Louisville Aged Persons Association dedicates that as their championship race (or perhaps they already did!)

You were happy with your race and time, that's all that matters. Comparisons against the rest of the whole field when you have no control over who shows up is meaningless.

I think it's not a bad thing that it's over - it's a crazy place to run an Ironman - they can't even get the awards function up to the standard of a regular Ironman - the swim venue is not reliable - turn the page - let IM Melbourne go and focus on the viable venues where the community actually benefits from having a race there :sleepy:

• Like 5

AP, no swim venue is reliable. Ie. IMNZ has canceled the swim leg outright twice in the last decade. How many times has Port Mac been subjected to flood debris and sewerage run off being washed through the swim course due to storm activity. Busso has its problems as well.

So saying melbournes swim course was unreliable is a nugatory comment in light of all other ironman races.

The awards function was OK in year one and a disaster the following two years. It shows that you cannot overlay the traditional template of ironman race week activities in a major city race with a point to point race. Lesson learnt there. A. Looped course like say in Frakfurt, is the only way to achieve a traditional ironman experience in a major city.

IM Melb is done and dusted. Australia can still support a fourth ironman race, but not for more than a few years when it would become undersubscribed. Three ironman races is sustainable but the current crop of races will not be as attractive to the bucket listers who WTC have been targeting to fill a third of the field totals at races. Given the Chinese will want accessible destination type races for its clientele races like Busso and Cairns will prosper. This could see the demise of Port Mac as a Marquee event in the ironman portfolio. Sure it will continue with the 1200 or so diehard supporters but I can't see it growing to a field of 2500 or more which is the WTC model for races.

I think it's not a bad thing that it's over - it's a crazy place to run an Ironman - they can't even get the awards function up to the standard of a regular Ironman - the swim venue is not reliable - turn the page - let IM Melbourne go and focus on the viable venues where the community actually benefits from having a race there :sleepy:

I agree - move it to Geelong. Do people still go to the awards night? Ironman Louisville had an awards breakfast & Hawaii ceremony. It seemed to work well, get your trophy & spot then line up to pay your $1000.

So, if both say it could have run no issues, we're there actually any issues with the course on the day?

There is the accommodation and transport issue, but surely most competitors already entered would have had their accom sorted already? Maybe even transport.

I guess if it was already sold out or close to they may have gone ahead. But I guess they we worried about people not entering because of the extra cost/headache caused by the GP. I guess its people like me who were going to enter but hadn't yet that cause the problem. Does anyone know how many entries they already had?

The finish is pretty close to the GP circuit, so would have been some extra people around. The freeway closure may affect some people getting to the GP (but probably not too many). Not major show stoppers that I see.

Their press release was not logical and clutching at straws

The bit about no space in the calendar didn't make sense at it was originally scheduled for 3 April (before the first GP date change)

They then added extra justification using travel / accommodation etc, as an excuse which implied that they were still allowed to hold it if they wanted to

Yes I am still pissed off.

Despite what others say, for a lot of people like me who live in Melbourne with not very supportive family it is not that easy to get to any of the other events.

• Like 5

I agree - move it to Geelong. Do people still go to the awards night? Ironman Louisville had an awards breakfast & Hawaii ceremony. It seemed to work well, get your trophy & spot then line up to pay your $1000.

Now that's a better idea. Awards breakfast.

Was a five year deal

I would say this is the early out... the demand bubble has burst and the "fad" entries have moved on to other physical events. Three Peaks to be the next bubble to burst.

The newspaper article (think it was today's Herald Sun) certainly talked to much lower entries and reading between the lines IM took the option to cut their loses.

Article yesterday said Frankston council hadn't been spoken to, now F1 say no issue and Vic Government says no issue. IM states issues around emergency services, impact on city, etc. I would have left this to the Government and the Emergency Services to make a ruling on if I wanted an event to run...........................

All extremely interesting.

I think it is a sad day for triathlon in Australia. It had the best bike road surface of just about any triathlon in the world - the tunnel experience was unique. If you want tough, go do Norseman.

I thought the point to point run was a classic where you could almost see the finish area from the start and you were not going to get bored doing endless loops.

The swim anywhere always has the potential to cause problems - that's just part of the challenge.

I am sure many more people were going to sign up for it but why sign away your money 6-12 months beforehand if you don't have to. WTC has just given the triathletes of this world a backhander which I, for one, do not appreciate.

• Like 2

Edited by ironpo

Just reading the paper and the interview with the F1 as steno said is pretty damning.

Said they were happy to go with the Ironman at the same time.

Said the Ironman did have the permits.

The excuse from Ironman. Accommodation costs would be too high for the athletes. Please..

Massive props to JetStar who just gave me full refund on non refundable flights for IM Melb.

Have now entered Alpine Ascent, I imagine it has a similar bike course profile. :sleepy:

• Like 8

Massive props to JetStar who just gave me full refund on non refundable flights for IM Melb.

Have now entered Alpine Ascent, I imagine it has a similar bike course profile. :sleepy:

You can probably assume Jetstar have just put these back on the market at a higher rate than you paid (tapping into the new requirement for flights that week-end), so whilst it's good for you, it would've been the right business decision anyway.

Just reading the paper and the interview with the F1 as steno said is pretty damning.

Said they were happy to go with the Ironman at the same time.

Said the Ironman did have the permits.

The excuse from Ironman. Accommodation costs would be too high for the athletes. Please..

Mate I thought you're in the know!?? WTC have been wanting to get rid of IM Melb for over 12months

• Like 3

You can probably assume Jetstar have just put these back on the market at a higher rate than you paid (tapping into the new requirement for flights that week-end), so whilst it's good for you, it would've been the right business decision anyway.

Still wouldn't stop them from charging you a cancellation fee, normally a decent amount, then still putting them back on the market

• Like 1

Mate I thought you're in the know!?? WTC have been wanting to get rid of IM Melb for over 12months

Ha. Maybe true and false.

They want major City races.

Now they need to find a new major city race in Asia/Oceania.

I think it's happened a year to early for them

The GP Corporation spokesman said that IM was cancelled due to commercial reasons... From what i'm hearing it was due to the lack on entries and the GP clash was just their excuse to get out while they can...

It is a massive disappointment, it was a great event and a big loss for Triathlon. I just hope a good regional city/town can now step up and take over this event. Would be great to see this in Geelong, they have always put on a good 70.3 event.

• Like 1

I have requested my IM refund, kept the accom and bought myself a grandstand seat at the F1.

As for alternate races, dunno still looking.

• Like 3

So, if both say it could have run no issues, we're there actually any issues with the course on the day?

There is the accommodation and transport issue, but surely most competitors already entered would have had their accom sorted already? Maybe even transport.

I would have entered had my accommodation lined up just waiting to enter

Not sure I'd give what GP folk are saying much credence, they know a lot of people don't like the GP or the subsidy it gets.

Numbers would be down, if like me others decided that it wasn't necessary to fork out a year in advance any more, with poor refund policy and risk. Instead could sign up a month, or even weeks, beforehand knowing you were on track and uninjured.

I'm hoping it will be back, or at least something else local to replace it. Having an IM local makes logistics and expense much more doable. I also liked the other aspects of the event itself, including the freeway ride - after the drafting got (mostly) sorted out with staggered starts. Not really into the triathlon travel destination thing, not attracted to goiing to Port Macquarie or Busselton, although enjoyed Falls Creek (lasted just 2 years?) or Thredbo (about to happen, but who knows how long it will last).

Another possible factor is that Run for the Kids is also on the same date of 20th March.

Has this been confirmed? Website still has 2015 date.

good on them Qantas has refused to refund any of mine or my dads tickets

Run for the kids is traditionally four weeks before Easter as it is a fund raiser for the Good Friday Children's Hospital appeal. With Easter being earlier in 2016, it makes having run for the kids four weeks earlier a bit difficult. The organisers have been tossing around dates for a few months now. The correspondence we have received at work for the corporate teams entries still does not list a firm date. If it's on 20th March as CEM says, then this will present some problems for our team.

Not sure I'd give what GP folk are saying much credence, they know a lot of people don't like the GP or the subsidy it gets.

Numbers would be down, if like me others decided that it wasn't necessary to fork out a year in advance any more, with poor refund policy and risk. Instead could sign up a month, or even weeks, beforehand knowing you were on track and uninjured.

I'm hoping it will be back, or at least something else local to replace it. Having an IM local makes logistics and expense much more doable. I also liked the other aspects of the event itself, including the freeway ride - after the drafting got (mostly) sorted out with staggered starts. Not really into the triathlon travel destination thing, not attracted to goiing to Port Macquarie or Busselton, although enjoyed Falls Creek (lasted just 2 years?) or Thredbo (about to happen, but who knows how long it will last).

Not sure about the drafting being sorted out!

Maybe drafting is an Aussie thing. I raced Lake Tahoe and having a rolling start plus hilly course took care of it. But I also felt the vibe overseas is different as people dont wanna draft as it not done (different athlete attitude), meanwhile here in Aus triathletes draft away, its a cultural thing. Do away with the pancakes and run races in gorgeous locations with terrain that takes care of these issues as Aussies can't be trusted!

• Like 1

Not sure about the drafting being sorted out!

Maybe drafting is an Aussie thing. I raced Lake Tahoe and having a rolling start plus hilly course took care of it. But I also felt the vibe overseas is different as people dont wanna draft as it not done (different athlete attitude), meanwhile here in Aus triathletes draft away, its a cultural thing. Do away with the pancakes and run races in gorgeous locations with terrain that takes care of these issues as Aussies can't be trusted!

It is a nation of convicts after all

I disagree it's an Aussie thing. Happens everywhere and everyone also goes up in arms about it.

The drafting problem is only going to be solved with 20+ min penalties.

Seriously? Only aussies draft on our flat cpurses? And all aussies do?

Enuf with the generalisations. Ever seen or read about IM florida? Amongst others?

Its an individual thing.

Thus shit is getting old and tired.

• Like 1

I am disappointed the race is gone, I assume for good. It made for an easily accessible Ironman, if there had never been an IM Melbourne I would probably have never done an Ironman. Sure the course may not have been perfect, but it gave Victorian triathletes a somewhat local race which I think is needed.

It does not make sense for me that there is no IM in the south east corner of the country, Geelong makes sense, so hopefully one goes there. Adelaide would be even better for me, but it seems that is not really an option.

It does not make sense for me that there is no IM in the south east corner of the country, Geelong makes sense, so hopefully one goes there. Adelaide would be even better for me, but it seems that is not really an option.

Port isn't that far away , and it's a great place to visit

Far better than Adelaide or jeeeelylong

Cheers

Ivp

Edited by ironpo

It gone move along & pick another race. People in other states have no option but to travel to race.

I disagree it's an Aussie thing. Happens everywhere and everyone also goes up in arms about it.

The drafting problem is only going to be solved with 20+ min penalties.

Seriously? Only aussies draft on our flat cpurses? And all aussies do?

Enuf with the generalisations. Ever seen or read about IM florida? Amongst others?

Its an individual thing.

Thus shit is getting old and tired.

Harder courses with a rolling start certainly seem to have less drafting. This is not just a USA v AUS thing. Busselton & Melbourne are both draft fest compared to Port & Cairns.

I have only raced rolling start & hard courses in the USA. IM Cozumel was a draft fest (mass start with a flat course)

In my opinion rolling starts with a harder climbs or less competitors is the only way to avoid the drafting on the bike.

A few years ago I picked flat courses to target a PB fast time. I must admit I did think about racing Busso this year & trying to get a sub11 time. On a good day I think I'm capable of doing it.

Harder courses with a rolling start certainly seem to have less drafting. This is not just a USA v AUS thing. Busselton & Melbourne are both draft fest compared to Port & Cairns.

I have only raced rolling start & hard courses in the USA. IM Cozumel was a draft fest (mass start with a flat course)

In my opinion rolling starts with a harder climbs or less competitors is the only way to avoid the drafting on the bike.

A few years ago I picked flat courses to target a PB fast time. I must admit I did think about racing Busso this year & trying to get a sub11 time. On a good day I think I'm capable of doing it.

2 lap bike course at Busso now anyway vs the 3 of 2013 and prior so lot less drafting in my observations.