Supamau

IM Melb canned??? WTF???!!! Really???!!!

So was there a Trannie on 3AW Rumour file this morning under the code name of Spokes? Someone got on today saying that IM Melb has been cancelled due to the GP...

Edited by NW55

Ironman Werribee has a nice ring to it. Start in Geelong and finish the run in Werribee

That is soooo funnie

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

Does anyone have any information on what is actually happening with this?

The complete lack of communication is disappointing, and the staff have obviously been programmed to only say that "nothing has been decided yet and there is no timeframe for providing more information"

Does anyone have any information on what is actually happening with this?

The complete lack of communication is disappointing, and the staff have obviously been programmed to only say that "nothing has been decided yet and there is no timeframe for providing more information"

Maybe nothing has been decided yet and there is no timeframe for providing more information?

People will need to start booking flights & starting training programs. Awesome customer service,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!!!

If they simply change the course & not the date, flights & accommodation are going to start getting difficult very soon.

Wtc never worry about customer service.

I think we are all well aware of that.

Its why events like tough mudder and the like are growing so much faster than ironman and 70.3.

Triathlon had the chamce to be great. But made

It too hard.

Tough mudder. Enter have fun with friends. No dumb rules. Customer service.

I agree with you there.

Its why events like tough mudder and the like are growing so much faster than ironman and 70.3.

Triathlon had the chamce to be great. But made

It too hard.

Tough mudder. Enter have fun with friends. No dumb rules. Customer service.

Things like tough mudder are done in some farmers field, triathlons require road closures, water safety, hiring of council facilities, land, parks etc a completely different level of organisation and effort that is required plus the bureaucratic clusterf*ck dealing with local councils. Tough mudder is just another gimmicky fitness wankfest like zumba, crossfit etc etc it'll be gone in 2 years or morphed into something else.

And I don't think triathlon could have been much bigger than it is. At the end of the day, there just aren't that many people that want to go through the mental and physical pain that you endure in triathlon.

Edited by zed
  • Like 2

Doesn't take away from the fact they give great customer service as opposed to a lot of people in the Triathlon game...

I don't know about tough mudders customer service, but I'll agree with you re triathlon customer service.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

Bad customer service is not universal in triathlon land. Ever done a race at one of EMO's triathlon festivals?

or the triple edge t3x or whatever it's called in canberra in december. Emailed asking if they have a process for transferring, they replied sorry our system is broken at the moment but when it's back up we will action. The next day I got an email saying transfer complete here are the new details. Easy.

WTC insisting on not allowing you to transfer your rego to another person is bizarre. They could even charge an exorbitant transfer fee, which most would pay, and make money on the transfer. It's like they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

If they simply change the course & not the date, flights & accommodation are going to start getting difficult very soon.

Agree completely. I expect most people don't need to know the course details at this stage. Surely they must have some idea now and can give an indication as to

1. Whether it is still on

2. If so, when

so that people can make plans

Other details can follow later

Compared to other companies I think they do a good job, they can always do better, whenever I've had to deal with them they've been quick to respond and have tried to help when they can. All the events that I've done with them have been well organised and have had an customer(athlete) focus. If people are not happy with what they are getting send them some constructive criticism, they would not be as successful as they are without listening to their customers.

Edited to add that the current mess they find themselves in is not of their making, I'm sure they are working hard to find a solution.

Edited by etiennevt

We might not agree with everything they do but can you imagine the triathlon world without them. They have a business to run and if it becomes unprofitable, they will no longer be in business.

In the case of IM Melbourne, the mess is not of their making. if they are planning another course, it will take time to put all the pieces into place. Let's hope they get it right and if they do, they will need our full support.

I can actually. It was a world where the Ironman brand was licensed to local race organisers, who for the most part used to deliver value for money to competitors, along with profit for themselves, as opposed to what we have now which is just profit for themselves.

• Like 1

I can actually. It was a world where the Ironman brand was licensed to local race organisers, who for the most part used to deliver value for money to competitors, along with profit for themselves, as opposed to what we have now which is just profit for themselves.

agree.

I was doing triathlons well before WTC came into existence and I can tell you we are much better off for their involvement in the sport.

Compared to other companies I think they do a good job, they can always do better, whenever I've had to deal with them they've been quick to respond and have tried to help when they can. All the events that I've done with them have been well organised and have had an customer(athlete) focus. If people are not happy with what they are getting send them some constructive criticism, they would not be as successful as they are without listening to their customers.

Edited to add that the current mess they find themselves in is not of their making, I'm sure they are working hard to find a solution.

Thanks for that. Hows the set up going for the race this weekend?

Agree

Cheers

Ivp

Thanks for that. Hows the set up going for the race this weekend?

Where's the ironman this weekend?

Cheers

Ivp

Yes I agree with this also but those days have past and we are all still doing ironman under WTC so it can't be that bad

Cheers

Ivp

the communication has been terrible. a note on their website on the 1st of October and then an email on the 16th, nothing since. i don't care how good their races are, they have dropped the ball here.

how hard can it be?! get all the IM Melbourne staff in a room, write down all the options to get this race started. delegate the outcomes. get it done. update the people who paid the $950 to enter consistently.

i can't see how there's a months worth of work in what they have done. i have organised large outdoor events before with over 150,000 spectators. i know what's involved. i can't see how after 30 days they can't get something sorted or at least give a definitive update.

• Like 4

Guys they are busy working out if IM Malaysia in 2 weeks time is going ahead not IM Melbourne in 6 months. Be patient!

• Like 1

The longer it takes the more it suggests that they can't get a new date locked in I'd think Dromana.

i can't see how there's a months worth of work in what they have done. i have organised large outdoor events before with over 150,000 spectators. i know what's involved. i can't see how after 30 days they can't get something sorted or at least give a definitive update.

There may well be months of work in getting government approvals for road closures, environmental approvals, etc. The delay may be due to government red tape rather than WTC incompetence.

I don't think anyone is disputing that they have a s..storm to deal with, and may well be doing a fantastic job........but just let us know what is going on!

Project Management 101... communication is key...

And like that, it was cancelled. Official announcement this morning

Watch the entries flock to Port and IMNZ

What? really? The website still has all the entry info on it!

(I only care because I'm toying with the idea of entering Port, and this might effect how quickly that race fills up)

full of shit

nothing short of arrogant and piss poor... this race is off my radar now. In short I don't trust them :shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup:

I havent trusted them for years. They are the worst company to deal with. Once they get you're money you are just a number.
  • Like 1

I think you're on the money.

So where's the notice to say that it has been cancelled. If someone can confirm i'll pay my entry to port early than expected just in case.