Sign in to follow this  
Riddos

MLB Playoffs

Any Baseball fans on here?

As a long suffering Seattle Mariners (now the longest time between post-season appearances in the Major League) fan I get to pick who to go for in the Playoffs.

8 of the 10 teams in the playoffs this year are in line for first time in a generation World Series wins, outside the Yankees (already eliminated) and Cardinals the most recent winner is the Blue Jays in '93.

I'll be cheering for the Mets in the National League and Blue Jays in the American League.

• Like 1

I picked out the Mets earlier (Brewers and Packer fan, me), but they didn't get anything going until getting Cespedes, who went on an incredible hot streak. Cooled off last 10 games, and recently has a bruised hand or fingers. Good pitching beats good hitting in the post season. The Mets will face Kershaw and Greinke, sending out deGrom and Harvey. The Mets 3 and 4 starters, Syndegard and Matz are stronger than the Dodgers. The Mets would need to take 1 of the first 2 games in LA to have a chance.

Cubs used Arrieta Wednesday, so he can't pitch until Sunday at the earliest. But Molina is out for the Cards. 50/50, Cubs might surprise the Cards, who lead the majors in wins but are below full strength.

Houston shutout the Yankees then got past Ventura in Game 1. But K.C. comes back with Cueto in a must win game. Carlos Gomez still unable to start in CF but would be a big help if he gets back. If KC wins Game 2 they might roll because Keuchel can't pitch until Saturday.

Texas beat Toronto when Manager Hinch pulled Gallardo after 5 innings with a 4-2 lead. Bullpen closed out the game, 5-3 the final score. Texas sends out Cole Hamels a true lefty ace next game. Toronto on the backfoot here, although rookie pitcher Stroman has been brilliant, this is a much bigger game than he is used too. Jays in trouble here...80% to lose the series. Donaldson (Toronto) got kneed in the head, but passed concussion tests, while Beltre (Texas) has back tightness, might not be able to play more. Nothing announced yet.

I'm on the pitch by pitch summary on Game Day.

Hoping for the Mets.

Riddos, your guy Ichiro just got another year contract with the Marlins. Needs 63 hits for 3000.

Edited by Kamal2

Texas went up 2-0 over Toronto in a 14 inning game. Toronto is done I think.

KC clawed back 5-4 over the Astros....1-1 now the series.

Cards shut down the Cubs 4-0....Cards have great pitching lined up.

deGrom beat Kershaw in a pitching duel. Advantage Mets as they will play 2 home games after tonight.

Saturday night USA time. Games were played Sunday AM Aussie time.

The American League, Texas, Toronto, Kansas City, Houston, had the day off.

Cubs reversed form on the Cards with a 6-3 win. 1-1 the series stands.

Dodgers used Greinke but Mets held back Harvey for the next game in NYC. Dodgers 5-2. 1-1 the series.

The Mets hold the advantage going back to New York for at least 2 more games.

Hoping for the Mets.

Riddos, your guy Ichiro just got another year contract with the Marlins. Needs 63 hits for 3000.

Big fan of Ichiro, see they let him pitch an inning in the last game of the season, went OK too.

Could be some fireworks in Dodgers at Mets tomorrow after the Utley/Tejada incident, but maybe less likely now after Utley suspended for next 2 games.

Blue Jays stay alive thanks to Tulo and some steady pitching.

Big fan of Ichiro, see they let him pitch an inning in the last game of the season, went OK too.

Could be some fireworks in Dodgers at Mets tomorrow after the Utley/Tejada incident, but maybe less likely now after Utley suspended for next 2 games.

Blue Jays stay alive thanks to Tulo and some steady pitching.

Could you post the clip on that Riddos (I can't), might be interesting for the guys here to see how hard the game is played in the post season. Tejada got the broken leg but his pivot, spin move put him in an awkward position. Utley took him out per standard procedure but went wide of the base to do it.

Utley appealed, but the appeal will be heard Monday as Joe Torre is handling this one. Suspended players can't appear in the dugout, which might be best going into MYC. Mets with home field, going with Harvey. Slight advantage.

Blue Jays now in with a shout, need 2 wins at home. Price would pitch Game 5 v Gallardo again.If Toronto wins Game 4, I am back on with them. Even now, Texas is weakened without Beltre, I like the Jays.

Could you post the clip on that Riddos (I can't), might be interesting for the guys here to see how hard the game is played in the post season. Tejada got the broken leg but his pivot, spin move put him in an awkward position. Utley took him out per standard procedure but went wide of the base to do it.

Here's footage and discussion of the clash,

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/vtp_nlds/v521892083/dodgers-chase-utley-suspended-for-two-games-by-mlb-chief-baseball-officer-joe-torre/?c_id=mlb

I don't like it and reckon if the base runner causes injury from contact that far off the base then they've got to expect some sort of punishment. Plenty of previous form from Utley too.

Utley appealed, but the appeal will be heard Monday as Joe Torre is handling this one. Suspended players can't appear in the dugout, which might be best going into MYC. Mets with home field, going with Harvey. Slight advantage.

Blue Jays now in with a shout, need 2 wins at home. Price would pitch Game 5 v Gallardo again.If Toronto wins Game 4, I am back on with them. Even now, Texas is weakened without Beltre, I like the Jays.

Thanks for putting it up.

Blue Jays smashing Texas and it should be 2-2 if the 7-1 score holds.

KC also brushed aside and early Houston lead as the Astros bullpen melted down. 2-2 also.

Thanks for putting it up.

Blue Jays smashing Texas and it should be 2-2 if the 7-1 score holds.

KC also brushed aside and early Houston lead as the Astros bullpen melted down. 2-2 also.

Mets scored 13 to route the Dodgers, 2-1 the series. Kershaw comes back for Game 4 v Matz a good pitcher but a rookie.

Cubs also scored 8, hitting 6 HR's, 8-6 over the Cards. 2-1 the series. Cards are down but I would not say out.

Toronto called in Price from the bullpen so he will not pitch Game 5. Rangers will bring back Hamels v Stroman. Too close to call. Jays have the better hitting by a wide margin. Hamels can be very tough.

KC found Houston's bullpen to be ineffective. Since there is a rest day things will equalize. Also too close to call.

Mets, Have 2 games to get one win.

Cubs. Also 2 games to get the 3rd win.

Jays. They are too strong now,

KC. I don't like their starting pitchers. Houston, but Houston has weaknesses with Beltre out. I don't think either of these will make the WS.

Cardinals gone, so whoever wins the World Series is doing so for the first time in a generation, or several generations if it's the Cubs!

Mets scored 13 to route the Dodgers, 2-1 the series. Kershaw comes back for Game 4 v Matz a good pitcher but a rookie.

Cubs also scored 8, hitting 6 HR's, 8-6 over the Cards. 2-1 the series. Cards are down but I would not say out.

Toronto called in Price from the bullpen so he will not pitch Game 5. Rangers will bring back Hamels v Stroman. Too close to call. Jays have the better hitting by a wide margin. Hamels can be very tough.

KC found Houston's bullpen to be ineffective. Since there is a rest day things will equalize. Also too close to call.

Mets, Have 2 games to get one win.

Cubs. Also 2 games to get the 3rd win.

Jays. They are too strong now,

KC. I don't like their starting pitchers. Houston, but Houston has weaknesses with Beltre out. I don't think either of these will make the WS.

Kershaw went 7 and the Mets got nothing going. 2-2 the series.

Going to LA. deGrom vs Zac Greinke.

Toronto v Texas also a Game 5 elimination game. Cole Hamels vs Stroman.

KC v Houston. I haven't checked that one. EDIT: Johnny Cueto vs Colin Mc Hugh, another pitching match up. Cueto has been disappointing but at his best one of the best in the game. Mc Hugh more consistent, won 20 games, previously unheard of.

No point in asking predictions, these are really good games to watch.

Cubs have Joe Maddon managing. Highly regarded and considered a difference maker. They have Jake Arrieta rested and can start Game 1 of the NLDS.

Edited by Kamal2

Oh Canada! Hell of a game and series, Blue Jays through to play winner of todays Royals vs Astros game for a spot in the World Series.

Youngest player in MLB, Osuna pitches the top of the 9th to lock in the win.

Jays saved David Price to open v the Royals, while KC (Royals) went with Cueto to clinch v Houston. Cueto will need 3 days rest and that could make a difference. I'm going with the Jays, obviously they have at least 2 of the top players in the game added to Donaldson, probable MVP, Jose Bautista.and Encarnacion.

Mets@LA, deGrom v Greinke. Hoping for Mets, in what looks to be a low scoring game.

Jays saved David Price to open v the Royals, while KC (Royals) went with Cueto to clinch v Houston. Cueto will need 3 days rest and that could make a difference. I'm going with the Jays, obviously they have at least 2 of the top players in the game added to Donaldson, probable MVP, Jose Bautista.and Encarnacion.

Mets@LA, deGrom v Greinke. Hoping for Mets, in what looks to be a low scoring game.

Mets 3-2. deGrom got the win, but Murphy made the difference.

Price not pitching and the Jays down 3-0, 4th inning.

7 game series, too early to jump to conclusions.

Blue Jays also lost Game 2 as Price could not get out of the 7th inning. 5-3 KC as the Toronto hitters did nothing in the game. Down 2-0, they don't look like a championship team.

Mets 4-2 over the Cubs who got nothing going off Matt Harvey. Arrieta did not pitch, so will see how he goes Sunday night. This series is more interesting and might go the full 7 games.

Mets 4-1, up 2-0 in the 7 game series. Murphy has 4 HR's in his last 4 games.

Mets go to Chicago but have not used their ace deGrom. Cubs used Arrieta but he took the loss, cannot pitch again for 3 days minimum.

Mets vs Royals in the World Series. Mets hitters wouldn't have wanted the 5 day break after being red hot in the NLCS. Need to get back into it quickly. Kansas play more of a work their way around the bases game which doesn't require the hitters to be in top knick. Will be interesting to see how the series starts. Go Mets.

Mets vs Royals in the World Series. Mets hitters wouldn't have wanted the 5 day break after being red hot in the NLCS. Need to get back into it quickly. Kansas play more of a work their way around the bases game which doesn't require the . hitters to be in top knick. Will be interesting to see how the series starts. Go Mets.

Mets favored.

KC has team speed and a superior defense. They have the ability to score a run or runs when they need to. But the Mets pitching way superior.

Cespedes has been getting cortisone injections in his left shoulder. He got to be affected.

Still supporting Mets but KC is much tougher than the Cubs.

Mets in 7.

Classic Game 1, if you like that kind of thing. 14 innings over 5 hours, 5-4 KC.

Game 2, Thursday AM Aussie time. deGrom v Cueto.

Cueto pitched a 2 hitter while deGrom got hammered. 7-1 KC, now up 2-0. But will go to NYC after the rest day.

Mets 9-3. A few big hits and some poor defensive work by KC.

KC up 2-1 in the series. Playing again Sunday night.

Sensational pitching effort by the rookie Syndergaard, was into the Royals from first pitch and the offence backed him up.

Mets should have an advantage in the 4th starter match-up tomorrow but all about getting it done on the day.

Yes, he threw a 97 mph fastball up and in on Escobar, first pitch, which is another way of saying, back off the plate and don't expect a fastball down the middle again in the series. Legitimate tactic.

Royals get the World Series win after going so close last season.

They don't have the biggest hitters or fastest starting pitchers but just play consistently and punish opposition errors. And their bullpen pitching has been quality late in games.

Mets should be good for a few years yet if they can keep their young pitching crew happy and healthy.

You don't often see a punch like this in a team sport.

You don't watch much ice hockey do you?

Have to agree though, even ice hockey doesn't get good clean hits like that one

Except that slide was a result of Bautista getting purposely hit in his previous at bat. You could argue it was his over the top bat toss in the ALDS last year to be paid back but you don't wait until the last at bat in the last meeting of the teams - you do it when you first meet. Pretty weak to do it at the end instead of his first at bat. But I agree those slides are not good - Bautista should have charged the pitcher when he got hit instead.

Except that slide was a result of Bautista getting purposely hit in his previous at bat. You could argue it was his over the top bat toss in the ALDS last year to be paid back but you don't wait until the last at bat in the last meeting of the teams - you do it when you first meet. Pretty weak to do it at the end instead of his first at bat. But I agree those slides are not good - Bautista should have charged the pitcher when he got hit instead.

Yeah the prior history was the key.

I didn't find the slide to be that bad in context as he was sliding straight into the base, with

a conventional slide, the break up the DP which he did. But that was overturned on the Utley Rule,

the new rule which prohibits sliding into the fielder. But in the Utely incident, Tejada got the broken leg because Utley went out of the baseline to

get him.

Then back to Joey Bats (Bautista) and the bat flip after the game winning homer previous ALDS. Big fuss over that, but guys like Harper, Carlos Gomez, Puig, do it routinely.

Edited by Kamal2

Meanwhile the Tigers promoted Aussie pitcher Warwick Saupold from the minors. He won his first

appearance pitching 2 innings of relief. He has a chance to stick in the majors probably as

a middle innings reliever. Although he has been a starter in the minors.

Currently and arguably the 3 best pitchers in the majors are Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers,

Jake Arrieta/Cubs and Chris Sale/White Sox. The Mets have 3, De grom, Syndegard, Harvey, but not

quite far enough in their careers to match the Top 3. Although Syndegard has a high, very high

ceiling.

Despite that. The Dodgers might not reach the post season. The Cubbies and White Sox probably

will. Also the defending WS Champs KC will probably not reach the post season this year. That's

my early call.

With my Mariners having quietly snuck to the top of the AL West standings I'm happy for the Rangers to be getting into suspension troubles.

Sadly my Seattle Mariners fell a couple of games short of a first playoffs appearance in a long while (last was in 2001).

American League Wildcard game currently 2-2 in the 7th between Baltimore and Toronto.

I'll cheer for the Rangers in AL (because Adrian Beltre is a legend) and the Mets in the NL.

Although the way the sporting fairy tales have gone around the world this year you couldn't rule out the Cubs getting it done.

It's all Cleveland this year, first the NBA title, now the MLB (just don't discuss the NFL there)

might have been the case if it was 2 months ago, the Tribe appears to have fallen off a bit since then but still finished in a good position

It's all Cleveland this year, first the NBA title, now the MLB (just don't discuss the NFL there)

might have been the case if it was 2 months ago, the Tribe appears to have fallen off a bit since then but still finished in a good position

The Tribe looks good. They have manager Francona and at least 3 top frontline starters. Kluber had a slow start to the season. But I have watched him pitch and he's a true ace.

I'm taking the Red Sox though in the AL. They have 4 of the Top 10 hitters in the AL 3 top OBP guys (On Base Percentage)

Blue Jays always have great hitting. Joey Bats (Bautista) back from the DL. Encarnacion, Donaldson and underperforming Troy Tulowitski. They don't have the pitching imo.

Texas has a well balanced club with Beltre and the recent addition of JLuc Jonathan Lucroy from the Brewers.

So in the AL I'm going Red Sox.

In the NL the Cubs. With the Dodgers as the main danger.

Mets knocked out in NL Wildcard so it's

AL

Blue Jays vs Rangers (bit of recent history between those teams)

Red Sox vs Indians

NL

Dodgers vs Nationals

Cubs vs Giants

Mets knocked out in NL Wildcard so it's

AL

Blue Jays vs Rangers (bit of recent history between those teams)

Red Sox vs Indians

NL

Dodgers vs Nationals

Cubs vs Giants

Madison Bumgarner with another classic. Details later...a 4 hit shutout but that's only half the story.

Mad Bum they call him.

EDIT: He's a very tough lefty with an incredible record in post season play. Here he threw 117 pitches while Syndegard aka Thor from the Mets was taken out after 7. Allowing only 2 hits but reached a limit of 107 pitches.

Almost unknown Conor Gillespie hit a dramatic 3 run homer in the 9th to win it. Bumgarner was kept in to finish the game which he did.

Edited by Kamal2

Blue Jays have hitting. Not 100% convinced on the pitching. 10-1 over the Rangers in Texas. An away win.

Indians have pitching. Not 100% convinced on the hitting. 5-4 over the Red Sox in Boston. Another important away win.

Blue Jays have hitting. Not 100% convinced on the pitching. 10-1 over the Rangers in Texas. An away win.

Indians have pitching. Not 100% convinced on the hitting. 5-4 over the Red Sox in Boston. Another important away win.

Blue Jays in Game 2. Hit 4 big HR's. The Rangers have no answer although they had 13 hits. 5-3 Jays. 2-0 the series.

The Cubbies again 5-2 over the Giants.

No doubt Joe Maddon is a great manager. Here he pulled Kendrick in the 4th and patched the game together with 4 relievers.

2-0 Cubs in the series but Cueto and Bumgarner due to pitch so it ain't over yet.

Tribe clean sweeped the Red Sox just now, well 3-0 and a postponed game

Short series. Red Sox main guys top of the order hit nothing.

Baseball is like that. Red Sox were my safe bet to at least reach the WS. But the Indians outpitched, outhit, and outplayed them.

Indians through to the world series, one game short of 2 perfect sweeps to get there

Cubs got to Kershaw who did not have his best stuff. Cubs have 3 legitimate ace pitchers lined up. I think they will go with a 3 man rotation.

Indians will open with Kluber. He has a devasting sinker when he's on. And he could appear 3 times in the series.

I have sentiment with both clubs. Slightly more with the Cubs.

It cant be predicted. Cubs in 6 games. But if it goes 7....Indians.

Saw one report that highlighted the Cubs would be playing their first ever "coloured" player in a world series. Guess they didn't have too many playing back in 1908

Saw one report that highlighted the Cubs would be playing their first ever "coloured" player in a world series. Guess they didn't have too many playing back in 1908

Nice topic. Jackie Robinson broke the colour bar in 1947. But certain clubs notably the Red Sox held out until the 60's. Red Auerbach brought in Bill Russell to play with the Celtics in '55-56. but later on Russell poured out bitter memories about the way he was treated in Boston. A hero on the court and just another black American off court.

The Cubs had Ernie Banks in 1953 and they have always had a good cross section of black/white/latino players. As in the NBA most of the fans attending games are white and they might see it differently.

The Indians get the home advantage and will open with Corey Kluber. An extremely tough sinkerball pitcher with pinpoint control. If he wins Game 1 the advantage shifts strongly to the Indians.

Cubs have a choice maybe Arrieta. But lefty Jon Lester is a major factor maybe in Game 2.

The Cubs have the hitting to back up their good pitching. I'm sticking with them but with no confidence.

The Indians get the home advantage and will open with Corey Kluber. An extremely tough sinkerball pitcher with pinpoint control. If he wins Game 1 the advantage shifts strongly to the Indians.

Advantage: Indians

Fingers crossed