Sign in to follow this  
Merv

Ensuite vs Extra room ?

Working on a house atm that is 4 bedrooms 1 toilet/bath/shower

Considering putting in a ensuite, fowever this means the 4th room is shortened to study size as a result of the renovation.

In terms of resale which option would you as a purchaser prefer ?

Maybe depends a bit on the area, what sort of person buys where you live? If it's families, with just a couple of kids, then I reckon the ensuite would be the go. We went from one bath with toilet inside to separate bath/toilet and an ensuite, it's like living in luxury.

Don't for get the spa bath ;)

If you can be very smart about the layout of the smaller office, then it can still work really well. Would you still be trying to use it as a guest room, or will it really be too small for that?

people like short trips to the toilet in the middle of the night

the affected room will still be suitable to operate a small business out of or use as a nursery or dungeon

Saying that, then I'd go the ensuite. If you were losing the room then maybe 50/50.

05_murphy_beds_loft_hardrock_maple_white

Considering putting in a ensuite, fowever this means the 4th room is shortened to study size as a result of the renovation.

Why consider resale?

Ensuite makes life more comfortable, more convenient, more private. Most of my adult life have had ensuite and strongly favor same.

Resale. 4 beds with ensuite vs 4 BR single toilet....4 BR w ensuite still wins.

Ditto the ensuite.

4 beds is great, but not so great when all sharing one bathroom.

Probably better resale and appeal 3 1/2 bed, with ensuite

Ensuite or a built in ? I have a similar dilemma. Really want an ensuite but either I take the corridor behind the room or get rid of the built in and use a tall boy and use that space for a shower and shitter...

people like short trips to the toilet in the middle of the night

the affected room will still be suitable to operate a small business out of or use as a nursery or dungeon

A sex dungeon? Not many 3 br + sex dungeon and ensuite on the market. Make sure the ensuite includes a bidet.

In regards to tradesmen quotes, what is a reasonable response from them on a commencement date.  The new year answer isnt good enough. Does a month satisfy you ?

It is what it is. You either have to wait for the person you want or find someone else. When you're often talking months away for a commencement date, it doesn't take much interference to push that out further. I very rarely promise dates for people cause I invariably know it won't happen. But I'm clear about that at the start and if that doesn't suit them then I may not be the person for them.

I've often had people tell me it's ridiculous that I can't be more clear with dates, but trade work is not like adding a few numbers together. Things go wrong, things turn out to be more trouble than you expected. A sick day here or there, or lots of phone calls interrupting and time is gone.

I know when we had our retaining wall done, he started nearly 6 months after his expected commencement date. And even though we gave the fence dude plenty of notice, he took another 6 months to start after that. So it was August for the whole job to be done when we were initially expecting it finished July the year before.  My wife was pretty cranky waiting, but since it's what I do to others, I was less fussed.

Myself, I'd rather tell people it'll be 12 months and be able to do it in 9, than tell them 2 months and do it in 4 

One of my guys has just bought his first house & is learning all about tradies as he starts to get things done up. He wants the pool fixed up, and thought he was being smart getting out there now for quotes, hoping to get it done in winter while he won't be using it. He got a shock when told he might be able to get it in NEXT Summer, but Winter is already booked out, as is the Winter after that. And that was from both the companies he's been to so far.

Trying to get good tradespeople now ( before Xmas ) is leaving it too late. Most will be trying to finish all their 'finished before Xmas jobs' and would / should tell you the new year. Else they probably be telling a fib.

Gonna be tempting to spend that 20k ive saved in the interim......

• Like 1

On 15/09/2015 at 4:48 PM, Merv said:

Edited by Peter