Tyno

Melbourne Hotels?

Looking for suggestions/experiences.

Need a hotel for the Melbourne Marathon weekend.

Prefer easy walk to/from the G on race day.

We have stayed at a few places in previous years, but can't hurt to see if anyone has a recommendation.

(Previous stays have been The Langham (didn't eat there), Mercure Treasury Gardens, Stamford on Little Collins, Mantra on Jollimont)

Have contemplated Richmond/Sth Yarra but don't know enough about the area to make a considered decision.

Have previously stayed in St Kilda and that wasn't really for us, if that gives you any guide.

Dunno budget.

It's all walkable.

But from my experience of best to worst.

Sofitel Melbourne

Stamford on L Collins

I'd stay at one of those two if you can get a good price.

Also stayed at

Mantra on Russell ( heh, I liked I could open the window but not as good as the first two)

Rydges Melbourne

Citatidines on Bourke.

Wasn't a fan of Rydges. I wouldn't stay at citadines, just seems sterile in my opinion.

Stamford on L Collins was always my choice when on business in Melb, not sure if it has changed much now though.

I hate hotels where you only have a bar fridge, even worse if it's one of those weight-metered ones which means you can't put your own stuff into it. I like to have some control over my cup of tea and my breakfast when I'm travelling and even more so on race morning. Give me a serviced apartment with a self-contained kitchen any time.

Hotel. Park Hyatt if you can afford it. 25m pool. Small gym. Good spa (girlie spa stuff ). Close to G.

If you want serviced apartment. Sir Stamford in little Collins st.

But ask for western side. Eastern side gets rubbish trucks during the night. Pool n gym is crappy there though. Bit closer to shops etc too.

Edited by Mjainoz

Stay at the urban in st kilda.

Trams are free in cbd or cheap heading to st kilda.

Great hotel

Great food places around.

But seriously melb marathon?

Run at the same time as kona.

Rookie mistake

Quest Apartments in Lennox St Richmond. Short walk to the MCG, and plenty of post-race brunch options nearby.

They also have kitchens/kitchenettes, so you can self-cater,

I hate hotels where you only have a bar fridge, even worse if it's one of those weight-metered ones which means you can't put your own stuff into it. I like to have some control over my cup of tea and my breakfast when I'm travelling and even more so on race morning. Give me a serviced apartment with a self-contained kitchen any time.

That's why folks are recommending Stamford on L Collins, it's exactly like that ( maybe they have regular rooms as well, not sure but I always had a suite with a kitchen).

Yep. Has both types of rooms. Also has separate 2 bed units I think. It's not 5 star like Hyatt's Sofitel but it's ok. 4outa5 stars :)

Stay at the urban in st kilda.

That's where we stayed when we figured out that St Kilda wasn't for us.

Liked the hotel, just didn't feel comfortable outside after dark.

That's where we stayed when we figured out that St Kilda wasn't for us.

Liked the hotel, just didn't feel comfortable outside after dark.

Understand that.

I was just here this morning.

Right over the road from the Marathon finish/MCG

A 3 min walk to the top of collins street or even shorter into Richmond cafes.

Newly fitted out hotel in the last 18 months.

http://accorhotels.com.au/accommodation/melbourne-cbd-vic/pullman-melbourne-park

Hotel Lindrum in Flinders Street is a short walk and a reasonably good stay (Can be pricey, but everywhere in the CBD is). Have stayed here quite a bit for work and has been comfortable. As is Mecure Treasury Gardens, just around the corner.

Any of the Quests would be ok, including the one mentioned above in Richmond. There's another up closer to Hoddle Street (sorry can't remember what it's called).

Hilton is ok too, but been a year or two since I stayed there

Cheers

Ayto

Weight-metered fridge?? I have never come across anything like this. What happens when the fridge contents weigh too much?

Weight-metered fridge?? I have never come across anything like this. What happens when the fridge contents weigh too much?

I've only seen them on business trips in the US at some hotels. Everything is on a sensor where basically if you lift it off, you've bought it. Not just the fridge items but things like souvenirs, chocolate and snacks that are dotted about the room. Never seen it outside the US.

I've only seen them on business trips in the US at some hotels. Everything is on a sensor where basically if you lift it off, you've bought it. Not just the fridge items but things like souvenirs, chocolate and snacks that are dotted about the room. Never seen it outside the US.

Tokyo.

Tokyo.

That's a worry. Last time I was Narita there was an earthquake and the room shook quite violently (epicenter was 100km away). 3 or 4 items rattling off the shelf in Tokyo would land me in debtors prison!

• Like 1