Peter

Top Gear - Now . . . The Grand Tour

But as a car enthusiast, you got a lot more from 5th gear.

No. No you absolutly do not. Because you will fall asleep or turn the damn thing off and watch Clarkson and Co be entertaining instead. Plus I know exactly what a 370Z does because it's for middle aged fat balding men who are desperately trying to nail the hot blonde secretary while imaging they are young again and driving the vastly more worthwhile 240Z, thence I'll stick to something that is an actual good car that Fifth Gear never said a thing about. Same goes for the Audi

And if I want to relive a misspent youth...? Well I got the original that I actually did misspend in and it's an RX7. It's old, it's slowish but it's small, it's light, it's awesome and it turns heads like no fat ugly modern car can.

So basically, Fifth Gear is useless and Clarkson and Co make me laugh.

So basically, Fifth Gear is useless and Clarkson and Co make me laugh.

You may find it useless and boring, but it is a car show, Top Gear ceased to be a car show long ago. It's a comedy show with cars in it. So I guess the two are incomparable.

You may find it useless and boring, but it is a car show, Top Gear ceased to be a car show long ago. It's a comedy show with cars in it. So I guess the two are incomparable.

I liked 5th Gear mainly because Tiff Nedell and Jason Plato actually know what they are doing in a race car. It went a bit off the rails with Johnny and that fat guy but on the whole it was pretty informative and usually had a point to the features.

Like Zed says, it's apples and oranges trying to compare them. Both shows had periods of getting it right and getting it wrong.

Should change the title of this thread to worse thing he ever did was punch that producer guy.

Should change the title of this thread to worse thing he ever did was punch that producer guy.

As one of the few on here that actually pays a BBC licence fee, I couldn't agree more! It's bad enough my tax money goes to that ginger twat on Radio 2, let alone on tv.

• Like 2

Watched it on Sunday night and finally gave up when there was a panel discussion about "who had the best car".... that is the sort of thing you can hear at most pubs on most nights.

Gave up and turned off. Won't be watching again.

However, proof that the BBC can do some brilliant documentaries was in the show that came after .... "City in the Sky". Exceptional doco on the aviation industry.

I still think Matt is a great find in this show.

Matt LeBlanc Threatens To Leave Top Gear Over Chris Evans, Top Gear-Hating Tabloid Reports
kvsh0pxixbubk2roxbnz.png

Matt LeBlanc threatened to quit Top Gear unless co-host Chris Evans gets kicked off, according to reports from The Sun, a tabloid known for breaking Top Gear drama from various sources. The Sun said LeBlanc is sick of Evans’ “rudeness and frosty attitude” toward the Top Gear team.

Sure, the new Top Gear is struggling. The most recent episode got the worst ratings in show history, dropping to 2.34 million viewers from 4.3 million for the premiere. But the show has had some highlights, and The Sun is notorious for its wild Top Gear reports—most recently, the tabloid reported that Evans went on a yelling rant at a bunch of audience members during the first filming.

That, likely, wasn’t completely accurate. With that trend in mind, here’s what The Sun had to say about LeBlanc being fed up with Evans:

The report went on to say that sources claimed the Top Gear team “does not gel at all” and LeBlanc is “far from the only one who isn’t happy.” Evans is also, apparently, jealous of the praise given to Rory Reid and Chris Harris since the show began and doesn’t help anyone new to studio recording. In the words of The Sun’s sources, he “doesn’t encourage them in any way.”

His declaration has left BBC bosses – who have already agreed to pay Matt for two series – with no choice but to pick one host over the other.

And it is believed a second Top Gear series, due to begin filming in September, may be shelved while they make their final decision.

A show source said: “The big question now is who goes and who stays. ...”

Per The Sun, spokespeople for both the BBC and Evans declined to comment on the situation. The spokeswoman for LeBlanc said “nothing has been discussed or decided.”

If we’re honest, The Sun is known for its rumors and the continuous Top Gear stories coming from the outlet are no exception. The tabloid had a report on the first filming of the show that included a profanity-laden rant from Evans, with no citations whatsoever. Perhaps the author was there for the filming and heard Evans swearing at the audience, or perhaps the author wasn’t—either way, it lacks information that would tell a reader the story has validity.

So, as we always do, let’s take this one with a grain of salt. If LeBlanc isn’t back next season, we know what happened.

Edited by Peter

Chris Evans as quit.

Chris Evans as quit.

They could do the show easily with matt and to two other guys and the chick.

Chris just yelled too much.

Well 18 November is go date for The Grand Tour.

Expecting it to be amazing given the wait and PR and the money spen on it.

It's going to be very interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Tour_(TV_series)

Apparently it's all May's fault for breaking his arm!

I think we will make the switch to Amazon. I've been less than impressed with UK Netflix, way too many cheap low budget sub titled crap, masquerading as hot new additions. Also Mrs FP uses Amazon a lot, so it makes sense to get the delivery options as well.

Will be interesting to see what the trio have done.

Well I've watched the first episode. I thought for the most part really good. Epic opening 5 mins. The feel is different but in the cars they are back in their element. The extra budget is plain to see.

Audience interaction was a bit jerky, trying a bit too hard at being comedians at the expense of the U.S. Some parts fell very flat, like the Celebrity Brain Crash, that was an old joke extended too long. The new driver 'The American' is a fat red neck NASCAR driver.

But their worst bits were better than Chris Evans' best bits.

Will watch again.

Worth ever cent.

All good except for the celebrity kill off. Just dumb.

Do you get Amazon Prime in Oz?

Apparently it's all May's fault for breaking his arm!

I think we will make the switch to Amazon. I've been less than impressed with UK Netflix, way too many cheap low budget sub titled crap, masquerading as hot new additions. Also Mrs FP uses Amazon a lot, so it makes sense to get the delivery options as well.

Will be interesting to see what the trio have done.

Amazon Firestick with Kodi softwareis yourfriend

The opening sequence is on youtube - fairly impressive start. Amazon Prime is coming apparently...

Do you get Amazon Prime in Oz?

Not yet. But if stumbled across it.

I think they slipped up. If they launched I'd sign up. But they haven't and no plans announced yet.

So .....

I have a firestick, I don't know what Kodi does?

Kodi is software that lets you watch everything for free, Sky, HBO, Netflix etc. Google it. (so a guy in a pub told me)

Kodi is a free media software program, I think it used to be xbmc?? I looked at using it for my media pc but have stuck with media portal.

It's not a program for circumventing regions, though maybe it has some community add ons, say like a vpn, that will do the job for you.

Edited by goughy

Kodi is a free media software program, I think it used to be xbmc?? I looked at using it for my media pc but have stuck with media portal.

Yep, Kodi is essentially a X-Platform implementation of the old Windows Media Centre app, originally called Xbox Media Centre (XBMC).

MediaPortal is a branched development (fork) of XBMC, but is only available for Windows.

MediaPortal is basically a Windows-only version of Kodi, with most of the annoying issues/shortcomings resolved and a slicker user-interface.

As a replacement for the old Windows Media Centre (e.g. for Windows-10) I’d personally choose MediaPortal over Kodi.

However, for non-Windows people, MediaPortal is not an option, and Kodi is still a pretty good Media Centre type of app.

I stuck with mediaportal because initially xbmc didn't have support for recording tv. Mediaportal also seemed to have more options in settings, which made it both easier and harder to use at the same time.

Just read that The Grand Tour may not get renewed for another season...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Just read that The Grand Tour may not get renewed for another season...

This has ruined my day. Do you have a link?

27 minutes ago, goughy said:

I don't think it will be renewed but that article is a bit presumptuous saying it's been axed.  I read the story on the weekend, Wilman said they have not been approached about signing yet. Probably amounts to the same thing.

Theyre all laughing all the way to the bank anyway.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I don't think it will be renewed but that article is a bit presumptuous saying it's been axed.  I read the story on the weekend, Wilman said they have not been approached about signing yet. Probably amounts to the same thing.

Hmmm..... I'm reading it as a bit of non-news to be honest... Here's hoping anyway.

Also, Clarkson only worth £30m? Seems rather low...

16 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yeah they aren't struggling for a $$ thats for sure.

I see Clarkson is now the new host of Who Wants to be a Millionaire in the UK.

And Clarkson is 56 they were saying in a EP last week. He looks 70.  

He clearly has fun spending that cash too.