Peter

Top Gear - Now . . . The Grand Tour

How can you say this when you haven't even seen it?

Or are you one of the people that say Hawaii/ insert town here is shit but have never been there?

I went to a test screening of two segments a couple of weeks ago at a market research agency, in Soho.

The Reliant segment had been done before when Clarkson went to Sheffield, although this one had Joey Tribiani playing the only character he knows, Joey Tribiani. He is rubbish. Boring and monotonous.

The other segment was the drive with Jenson Button and someone like him should be hosting the show.

Contrived, formulaic and rammed together in quick order as though to prove a point that Clarkson hasn't won this battle with the BBC. At least with the 2nd iteration of Top Gear (Clarkson, May and Hammond), they developed over years. This one will be like the Australian version - forced and off the air after a season.

And, for the record, I don't judge anything until I've seen it. And Hawaii was awesome.

Never heard of evans

This is the problem. Those that don't know him won't care and those that do (for the most part) can't stand him.

I'm surprised there is no Amazon Prime in Oz? What I did wonder about though was on Amazon Prime you still have to pay extra for 'Premium shows' (so my sister tells me, we don't have it). I wonder if GT will be one of these?

Edited by FatPom

Never heard of evans

Probably best describes as "someone like Darryl Somers" (i..e someone who appeals to a section of society but the rest of society think he's a nob).

He's quite good on radio in scripted shows and has some very nice Ferraris, but that's not going to be enough to make me want to watch given what I've seen.

Are you saying Kyle has 'some' talent?

OK, it's done.

There is absolutely zero chemistry between Evans and LeBlanc, everything seems forced.

The in car commentary is a direct copy of Clarkson and Hammond, including the,,,,,pregnant pauses.

Super slow mo editing exactly the same.

Stars in a car was painful and too long.

Top Gun segment was absurd and I could not understand very much from Schmidt over the engine noise.

The 'challenges' looked like something that was found in the 'discard bin'.

The Brownlees are dead to me.

LeBlanc comes off better than I thought and the segments with just him were a bit better.

Verdict: I'd rather drink an anchovy milkshake that's been left in the sun than tune in next week.

Top Gear had been going long before Clarkson et al took the reigns hadn't it? What was it like in those days? While it was technically a show showcasing new cars etc, it really was, to me, a show about 3 mates having the time of their life! I mean, who didn't want their job (and pay packets)? So if it existed prior, I get them introducing new hosts etc. But if it was just the vehicle or those 3, then I would struggle to see how it will be successful. Saying that, those 3 ruined it for anyone else.

I still think the bbc did what they had to do. Too many rich prima donnas get away with what they want, or acting like dicks.

It did exist Goughy but in a very different format. Quite stifled and very 'twee' and inoffensive. Back then they also did motorbike reviews. There was show on Oz tv years ago called something like 'The Car Show' and wasn't dissimilar to that. I suppose you could say it wad entertaining in a factual way and wasrobably popular because there wasn't much else

Ike it.

The original show was well past its use by date though as it failed to move with an audience that wanted more. Clarkson was a junior presenter IIRC and put everything he owned, including his house on the line to keep the show going when the BBC were going to axe it.

• Like 1

Will watch later today.

So guessing you won't be watching ep2 then fatpom.

Will watch later today.

So guessing you won't be watching ep2 then fatpom.

Nope, I'll live without it!

It was a car show for car enthusiasts which gradually morphed into a banal comedy show that appealed to the masses. It worked, to a point, because of the chemistry of May, Hammond & JC, but the last few seasons were very tired and old. Today we are going to race old tractors then we're going to blow up a caravan... It's going to be nigh on impossible for anyone to come along and make that kind of crap amusing. I think they would have been better off returning to grass roots Top Gear. It's a car show, not a comedy show.

I think they would have been better off returning to grass roots Top Gear. It's a car show, not a comedy show.

Wasn't that what Fifth Gear tried to be?

I didn't mind it actually.

I just don't know why the host Chris has to yell all the time. He has a microphone on his shirt.

leblanc was good. I liked him. Actually the more I watched him the more I liked.

Robin Reliants? Again??? Seriously!!!

Reliants again.

Land Rover again.

Top of a mountain again.

Ramsay again ( the other star was meant to be Brad Pitt but he pulled out).

Laser shootouts again.

£650,000 per episode!

Wasn't that what Fifth Gear tried to be?

Yeah and it's great for people that are genuinely interested in cars, if you can stand that blonde chicks hideous laugh. I think it's about getting the balance right. TG used be 70% cars 30% comedy and towards the end it had virtually turned into a comedy show. Their worst moment was a 20mins segment of playing a game of conkers with 2 caravans. Just banal.

Yeah and it's great for people that are genuinely interested in cars, if you can stand that blonde chicks hideous laugh. I think it's about getting the balance right. TG used be 70% cars 30% comedy and towards the end it had virtually turned into a comedy show. Their worst moment was a 20mins segment of playing a game of conkers with 2 caravans. Just banal.

Even as a serious car guy and even removing that terrible woman, Fifth Gear was just plain awful, boring and noooooooooooope, screw that. TG in it's second iteration with Clarkson started as 70% cars and 30% cocking about.... then it morphed to three idiots cocking about, which is infinetly more interesting. The sole only person who can pull off dry, busload of facts and big skids car show is Chris Harris. Who has been relegated to the B-Team of Extra Gear.

This verison of Top Gear has to compete with web shows like Mighty Car Mods and Roadkill. And ooooh boy it's not looking good at all. Let alone whatever The Grand Tour turns out to be.

Fail. Never watching that crap again. Worse than Top Gear Australia (never thought I'd say that).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Worse than Top Gear Australia (never thought I'd say that).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

OMG!

OMG!

I'll admit I did go into it expecting it to suck so my view was biased. Likewise by the feeling of nausea I get everytime that friends jerk off is on tv.

Try it for yourself, you may love the originality and chemistry

I must admit it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It seems like they need a third and probably fourth host as well. Definitely not a disaster. Far better than Australian Top Gear. I think the ball is squarely in the other three's court now.

Even as a serious car guy and even removing that terrible woman, Fifth Gear was just plain awful, boring and noooooooooooope, screw that. TG in it's second iteration with Clarkson started as 70% cars and 30% cocking about.... then it morphed to three idiots cocking about, which is infinetly more interesting. The sole only person who can pull off dry, busload of facts and big skids car show is Chris Harris. Who has been relegated to the B-Team of Extra Gear.

This verison of Top Gear has to compete with web shows like Mighty Car Mods and Roadkill. And ooooh boy it's not looking good at all. Let alone whatever The Grand Tour turns out to be.

But as a car enthusiast, you got a lot more from 5th gear. I want to know how fast a 370Z goes and how well it goes against an Audi TT, for example. 5th gear will tell you that, Top Gear will have an Audi TT racing against a helicopter across Europe, no mention of the cars abilities, just jackassery between JC, May & Hammond, ending with them in a pub taking the piss out of each other. It's no longer a car show, it's a comedy show. And that's why Chris Evans hasn't been able to replicate what JC and co did, he's not that funny and you can't copy someone elses humour, people will see through it. They would be better off starting from scratch a car show, with a little bit of wackiness and build on that.

Episode 2

260,000 pound Mclaren with Jenson Button putting it in the grass amusing.

Chris Evans is rubbing me the wrong way. I am still liking Matt co hosting.

Keeping the same format is okay with me too.

Amusing they went to South Africa when the old 3 are releasing their show there.