Sign in to follow this  
XCom

Do we have a 'Drone' problem here?

If people are impeding emergency response workers they should be fined, arrested or whatever the law says, regardless of if they are doing it in person or via remote control.

As for them being a problem... Well, people doing stupid things can always be a problem. It's a shame there isn't a way to bring them down quickly and confiscate/destroy them, it would put a stop to this kind of rubbernecking I would think.

Figured the US would relish the opportunity to roll out the strike eagles and take out the drones.

Seriously though America, wtf.

Let a few of the gun totin', God fearin' yanks that homes were under danger, know that the drones were stopping the firefighters. I wouldn't imagine the drones staying airborne too long. The planes & choppers would only have to stay away long enough for the lead to settle back to Earth. :)

Its no where near as big a problem as its going to become!! Like most technology - starts out with a good idea and gets picked up for all sorts of actions . . .

It will only be a problem when they can fly for more than 10 minutes at a time and don't require many hours of practice to fly effectively.

Why is a drone fundamentally different to radio controlled helicopter? Is it because you don't need line of sight or something, or because they are quiet?

I don't understand why this is all of a sudden such an issue?

Edited by FatPom

In reality, a drone can fly autonomously, but the term is increasingly being used for remote controlled unmanned aircraft.

They are becoming such an issue because they are getting easier to use, and able to do much more with the advent of cameras, GPS navigation and stability automation that is making them much easier to use. Ask a model enthusiest from 10 years ago how hard a model helicopter was to fly compared to the things any hack can get into the air with now.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Oh I see, thanks Ex. I'm not sure if the UK has a problem with them or not but I have never seen one at all (then again I don't ride along looking up!)

My father had a friend that was an RAF helicopter pilot, he received two medals from the Queen for rescuing people in extreme weather). I remember he had a r/c helicopter and used to say how hard it was. (I never got to have a go :( )

Have a fairly decent one, can easily see the issues with privacy and safety. With GPS they are not that hard to fly. 25 mins flight time, 500m up and up to 2k away makes for some serious flying potential, need the camera to pilot the thing as you lose sight of it. Let go of the controls and the GPS kicks in to keep it stable, auto return to base with an altitude control gives you some security if you lose contact or the battery starts to go dead. Lots of fun but definitely used with respect to safety and privacy.

Been following that one on Twits.

Interesting thing is if the drone was as high as the operator claimed it was, the guy would never have been able to hit it with a shot gun. So someone's not telling the truth.

In emergency situations, unless piloted by the emergency services, they should be banned.

Otherwise I would say the area is too grey.

I took my wife and daughter out to Lesmurdie falls on Sunday and there was a drone buzzing around over the falls there. No dramas, but it did spend an equal amount of time hovering over groups of people. If it was there to photograph the falls then all good. But if it just was a hi tech pervert, then that's not on.

Hard to say. The pilot of it was standing in thick scrub above the area. Basically hiding in the bushes. Sus

Internationally drones are becoming a very hot item not just for privacy issues but as a danger to aviation. Australia amongst others have legislation in place based on weight of the things but it will likely expand to include performance and also kit on board to make them visible to aircraft.

It is amazing how remote controlled quad and hex copters are now "Drones" and "Unmanned Aerial Vehicles", RC modelling used to be a hobby for nerds. The media like to pretend these things are being operated from kilometres away in some darkened basement like the military do, or are autonomous flying machines pre-programmed to do evil.

A first person viewed remote helicopter with a range measured in kilometres is not cheap, I think in most cases these "Drones" are flown directly by someone within line of site, just a remote controlled aircraft.

I am not sure how much backwash/turbulence an A320 makes or how fast it goes when landing but if a quadcopter was within 6 meters of the wing I am surprised it wasn't blown out of the sky, or even that the Pilots had time to see and recognise the thing in the seconds it flew past it.

It is amazing how remote controlled quad and hex copters are now "Drones" and "Unmanned Aerial Vehicles", RC modelling used to be a hobby for nerds. The media like to pretend these things are being operated from kilometres away in some darkened basement like the military do, or are autonomous flying machines pre-programmed to do evil.

A first person viewed remote helicopter with a range measured in kilometres is not cheap, I think in most cases these "Drones" are flown directly by someone within line of site, just a remote controlled aircraft.

I am not sure how much backwash/turbulence an A320 makes or how fast it goes when landing but if a quadcopter was within 6 meters of the wing I am surprised it wasn't blown out of the sky, or even that the Pilots had time to see and recognise the thing in the seconds it flew past it.

Agreed

But people are idiots - you only have to look at home many people were pointing those green laser pointer thingys at planes not that long ago.

I guess the concern would be that a drone thing gets sucked into an engine....especially if it was a plane that had just left the runway on the way up ....

Like everything, there will be a few dickheads who do stupid stuff and ruin it for everyone!

It's just the tools dickheads have access to these days that has changed.

In the 70's, a large helium balloon covered in alfoil and tied with 50m of light fishing line to a fence near the airport would garner a suitable response.

Things were much cheaper for us "dickheads" back then. :)

• Like 1

There are tools which tell you where the restricted flight zones are, around airports etc.

Agree that these things in the hands of tools can be a real issue.

I'm very careful where and when.

More of a photography nerd here than a RC nerd.

I am a pilot and it is somewhat concerning. I've never had an issue with a drone (not yet at least), but I have seen a model plane flying at well over 1,000 ft when flying over and it came within a few feet of my wingtip.

I am a pilot and it is somewhat concerning. I've never had an issue with a drone (not yet at least), but I have seen a model plane flying at well over 1,000 ft when flying over and it came within a few feet of my wingtip.

Are you sure it wasn't a 150? :)

Well farrk me! Im out the front of my place working yesterday and hear a noise I look up and see a drone quite high up.

Now im a pretty easy going guy but im thinking why ****ing fly a drone over houses.

Next minute its dropping down in my yard I walk out the back and there it is stuck in the plants!

So I grabbed a garbage bag and put it in it and continued on working a couple hrs later finally I see a ute driving laps around the streets thought its gota be him.

Bingo it is ! Reckons its not his but his mates ... so to stero type this guy looks like ya typical bogan whos just had a session on the cones !(he was a concreter )

I didn't yell and scream because that gets you know where but I told him it was bloody stupid for obvious privacy issues. I get it for action sports or work footage and his lucky it didn't land im my neighbours yard as it would have had a sledge hammer through it!

What would you guys have done?

I'd drop it in to my local police station and say it was lost property found in my yard. Let the idiot explain why he was breaking laws on it's use

• Like 2

I would have crushed it with my car and said it dropped out of the sky just as I was pulling into my driveway.

Well farrk me! Im out the front of my place working yesterday and hear a noise I look up and see a drone quite high up.

Now im a pretty easy going guy but im thinking why ****ing fly a drone over houses.

Next minute its dropping down in my yard I walk out the back and there it is stuck in the plants!

So I grabbed a garbage bag and put it in it and continued on working a couple hrs later finally I see a ute driving laps around the streets thought its gota be him.

Bingo it is ! Reckons its not his but his mates ... so to stero type this guy looks like ya typical bogan whos just had a session on the cones !(he was a concreter )

I didn't yell and scream because that gets you know where but I told him it was bloody stupid for obvious privacy issues. I get it for action sports or work footage and his lucky it didn't land im my neighbours yard as it would have had a sledge hammer through it!

What would you guys have done?

Ex-h by any chance?

http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=66852&page=15#entry1231203

quote name="Ex-Hasbeen" post="1231203" timestamp="1485048350"]

I was flying my drone yesterday & lost it into a backyard somewhere. Thought it was gone for good, but travelling around the neighborhood & some dorky looking guy hands it back.

Â

Awesome.

Edited by The Turtle

I'd drop it in to my local police station and say it was lost property found in my yard. Let the idiot explain why he was breaking laws on it's use

So it is illegal to fly over residential areas?

Just hope after he got the munchies he thought about what I told him and wont be so stupid next time!

Didn't want to smash it in case it was a kid with a new gadget etc.

Kinda weird but can't say I'd really care unless it was every day.

Not much to see in my backyard unless they want to see me walking round in my jocks. Jokes on them.

So it is illegal to fly over residential areas?

Just hope after he got the munchies he thought about what I told him and wont be so stupid next time!

Didn't want to smash it in case it was a kid with a new gadget etc.

There are by-laws in most cases now around the use of them imposing on privacy. Not sure where you are, but the solution I put forward means you don't need to know the laws, you can't get in any trouble for damaging personal property, and even if there isn't any laws might make the individual think about it a bit more.

Also if not claimed in a certian time period, you get it then legally. Stump up the money for a new remote and you have an awesome drone (just don't go spying on the neighbours or send it to pick up a sausage at Bunnings)

• Like 1

Yer im southern sydney (shire) .

Its not me im worried about. But my three kids 11 9 and 5 are often in the pool and my boys are at the stage they think its funny to swim nude alot!

It would be like me looking over a fence and not moving watching people in their backyards just farkking weird.

Yer I wouldn't want to keep it if some ones paid their hard earn cash for it .

I just had my ute stolen last week and it sucks I hate thieves and dishonesty with a passion.