Sign in to follow this  
roxii

$2k ish best bang for buck MTB

OK guys looking at offloading my CX bike and going MTB.

Looking "around" the $2k mark, assume a hard-tail 29er would probably be my best bet.

Using GIANT as the value for money sweet spot there seems to pretty good value around this price point, but I don't know much about the hierarchy of parts or the different forks so over to you guys.

So using this as the "benchmark" and remembering it will probably just be used for "tooling around" riding firetrails and maybe an exterra if i get excited

http://tbsm.com.au/bikes/mountain-bike/29er-ht/giant-2015-xtc-advanced-29er-1-19391

Is there a better bang for buck, is there a need for spending a few extra $$, are any of the "shop brand" (cell, polygon etc) better bikes/ value.

Over to the experts.

I just had a look on Bike Exchange and there are several Giant XTC 29er 1's available for around 2.3k, although I reckon you could knock them down to around 2k as they are trying to clear last years stock before new models arrive. There is also the XTC 29er2 which has the same frame but lower spec SRAM components. Plenty of other options but Giant tend to be the best bang for your buck around the 2-3k range.

Thanks mate, I'm sure I could get Aaron at TBSM to look after me a bit.

Appreciate your time, as I said the groupset and forks are Greek to me.

I'm not a giant fan but that xtc 1 looks like the go

Try and get shimano brakes if you can, SRAM brakes a crud

Cheers

IVP

I'm not a giant fan but that xtc 1 looks like the go

Try and get shimano brakes if you can, SRAM brakes a crud

Cheers

IVP

the xtc1 has slx brakes which are pretty decent.

Minor thread hijack...

Since it's ~20 years since I did any MTB riding, I've not really paid a lot of attention to the tech. But when I finally do spend time away from this city I'm considering doing some MTB style riding. Nothing overly technical just steady trails/gravel roads unsuitable for the roadie, plus of course regular roads to/from such locations. Probably a hard tail MTB.

One of my challenges is finding a pedal system suitable for my prosthetic, to which I can only attach a standard 3 hole cleat. Are there any MTB pedal systems that use a 3 hole cleat?

I've been looking but annoyingly most pedal sites and pedal reviews never show photos of the cleats.

Minor thread hijack...

Since it's ~20 years since I did any MTB riding, I've not really paid a lot of attention to the tech. But when I finally do spend time away from this city I'm considering doing some MTB style riding. Nothing overly technical just steady trails/gravel roads unsuitable for the roadie, plus of course regular roads to/from such locations. Probably a hard tail MTB.

One of my challenges is finding a pedal system suitable for my prosthetic, to which I can only attach a standard 3 hole cleat. Are there any MTB pedal systems that use a 3 hole cleat?

I've been looking but annoyingly most pedal sites and pedal reviews never show photos of the cleats.

Alex, how about these? http://www.wiggle.com.au/crank-brothers-pedal-cleats-3-hole-bolt-pattern/

Use them with crank brothers mtb pedals.

Wellgo also do an SPD adaptor. Cyclingdeal.com.au has them for around $25

Edited by Chookman

Alex, is there anything stopping you from using road cleats on a MTB? Assuming the threads are the same. I know they generally use a different pedal and cleat from road bikes, but I actually don't know why? Unless it's got something to do with the shoes mtb'ers wear. Or could you use a standard road pedal and cleat for your prosthetic and a stand mtb pedal and cleat for your other?

Alex, how about these? http://www.wiggle.com.au/crank-brothers-pedal-cleats-3-hole-bolt-pattern/

Use them with crank brothers mtb pedals.

Cool, thanks!

I'll need to check them out and see what the release mechanism is like, as I can't twist a pedal for release with my prosthetic leg, all I can do is push the knee outwards. That releases OK with my regular road pedals (Campag ProFit).

Alex, is there anything stopping you from using road cleats on a MTB? Assuming the threads are the same. I know they generally use a different pedal and cleat from road bikes, but I actually don't know why? Unless it's got something to do with the shoes mtb'ers wear. Or could you use a standard road pedal and cleat for your prosthetic and a stand mtb pedal and cleat for your other?

I had considered that, although I am assuming that MTB cleats and pedals cope better with having a bit of crud on them than do roadie pedals.

One of the things I have to consider is when off the bike I am basically walking with one peg leg with a cleat on the bottom, rather a shoe to spread the load. It tends to dig in a bit and collect crap easily whenever I'm on an unsealed surface, which is a bit crummy with road pedals. To access the cleat to give it a bit of a clean I have to remove the leg. Then I need a good solid surface to put leg back on (the way the leg attachment system works).

So if a pedal and cleat was a bit more forgiving in coping with some crud, it would be preferable.

I don't plan on mud adventures or wet riding other than when it's unplanned, or even getting off the bike much, but unsealed surfaces are less predictable and I figure it might be sensible to have pedals better suited to the task.

OK guys looking at offloading my CX bike and going MTB.

Looking "around" the $2k mark, assume a hard-tail 29er would probably be my best bet.

Using GIANT as the value for money sweet spot there seems to pretty good value around this price point, but I don't know much about the hierarchy of parts or the different forks so over to you guys.

So using this as the "benchmark" and remembering it will probably just be used for "tooling around" riding firetrails and maybe an exterra if i get excited

http://tbsm.com.au/bikes/mountain-bike/29er-ht/giant-2015-xtc-advanced-29er-1-19391

Is there a better bang for buck, is there a need for spending a few extra $$, are any of the "shop brand" (cell, polygon etc) better bikes/ value.

Over to the experts.

Maybe test ride an Anthem too. Can be had for same(ish) money - carbon of its an older model.

FS much more fun to me and more versatile. Hardtail probably more race orientated for the money if you're headed that way.

Scott make some nice hardtails too. Just ride em all and buy what feels nicest. I tried the Giants and quite liked them but enjoyed the ride of the Epic more.

• Like 1

Road shoes generally have no tread on the bottom, and the cleat sticks out - hence why you look so stupid walking (or falling over) in them

A MTB shoe has aggressive tread lugs, and the smaller SPD 2 bolt cleat is recessed. That way the cleat isn't the bit you walk on or put down.

She's right Goughy. road bike cleat could not be recessed into the space provided in a MTB shoe.

Interesting though, still see a number of decent riders racing in flat shoes, depending on the course and the amount of walk and running required.

That would be tough on you Alex, but MTB races can have longish walks through sand, possible dismount on uphill sections, that kind of stuff.

She's right Goughy. road bike cleat could not be recessed into the space provided in a MTB shoe.

Interesting though, still see a number of decent riders racing in flat shoes, depending on the course and the amount of walk and running required.

That would be tough on you Alex, but MTB races can have longish walks through sand, possible dismount on uphill sections, that kind of stuff.

Thanks - I'm not looking to race, just ride. Maybe the odd participation event but I'd be doing my research first on the terrain.

I did a couple of rides on road pedals / cleats whilst I was waiting on delivery.

Works fine if you're not walking on them and doing easy rides. Not so much if you're in and out over rocky terrain or anything.

If you're just cruising around and it's not super muddy you'd be okay.

Ok so CX is gone money is in the bank so I stopped into a bike shop today and as always as you look along the range the extra bits start to pull you in and budget creep starts to occur.

I know it's well above my (self imposed) "limit" but the Scott spark 930 dually is down from $4850 to $3300 ish. Carbon frame, pretty light, dual remote lockouts.

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/238201/SCOTT+Spark+930+Bike

Too good to be true? Too good for me? Better value elsewhere? What's the Giant equivalent?

Ok so CX is gone money is in the bank so I stopped into a bike shop today and as always as you look along the range the extra bits start to pull you in and budget creep starts to occur.

I know it's well above my (self imposed) "limit" but the Scott spark 930 dually is down from $4850 to $3300 ish. Carbon frame, pretty light, dual remote lockouts.http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/238201/SCOTT+Spark+930+Bike

Too good to be true? Too good for me? Better value elsewhere? What's the Giant equivalent?

Giant equivalent is an Anthem but not sure of the model you'd have to look at specs.

Did you ride it?

I found the Spark more lively to ride than the Specialized with their Brain shocks and was going to get one but then got a good deal so went the other way.

One thing I did notice was Scott smash their prices a lot on last season's bikes more than the local Giant dealers here so may pick up higher spec for same money.

Still reckon is worth a ride even if just around car park hopping curbs and speed bumps to see how each feels to you

Thanks mate, problem is my baseline is Zero, so I wont really know what to look for and will probably just learn to ride the bike I get.

Maybe its the roadie in me but I liked that the Scott had plenty of tech and was light :lol:

Yeah I cracked too my budget was 2.5 k

Ended up paying 2900 for a trek Superfly carbon dualy. Reduced from 4600 was too good to pass.

Get it!!

• Like 2

I know it's well above my (self imposed) "limit" but the Scott spark 930 dually is down from $4850 to $3300 ish. Carbon frame, pretty light, dual remote lockouts.

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/238201/SCOTT+Spark+930+Bike

Roxii, in all seriousness, if anyone paid 4k+ for that spec they'd need their head read! A few XT bits, bottom end tyres and bottom of the range Fox fork. There is much better out there! If you are paying 3k+ you really should be getting a Fox Factory series fork or rockshox equivalent.

This Anthem is slightly more $ but a much higher spec... Top of the line fork; tyres, tubeless ready carbon rims and full XT. https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/29er-dual-suspension-mountain-bikes/giant/nsw/tuggerah/anthem-x-advanced-29er/102600822

Thanks mate cool. That's the problem with Mtb I don't know group set specs let alone forks and shox.

Cheers

Roxii, in all seriousness, if anyone paid 4k+ for that spec they'd need their head read! A few XT bits, bottom end tyres and bottom of the range Fox fork. There is much better out there! If you are paying 3k+ you really should be getting a Fox Factory series fork or rockshox equivalent.This Anthem is slightly more $ but a much higher spec... Top of the line fork; tyres, tubeless ready carbon rims and full XT. https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/29er-dual-suspension-mountain-bikes/giant/nsw/tuggerah/anthem-x-advanced-29er/102600822

Agree

Surely nobody would pay $4klus for that Scott

Still pretty dear at $3k

Cheers

Ivp

The Giant I was offered $3600 including xt pedals but there seems to only be 27.5 s around. Does this matter much or are they just trying to offload some stock?

Nice bike though.

Also seems like I'm in strange fit territory. I run 775 seat from bb but am "only" 177 so can run a medium with a shed load of seat post or a large with normal seat post but a slightly longer reach.

The Giant I was offered $3600 including xt pedals but there seems to only be 27.5 s around. Does this matter much or are they just trying to offload some stock?

Nice bike though.

Also seems like I'm in strange fit territory. I run 775 seat from bb but am "only" 177 so can run a medium with a shed load of seat post or a large with normal seat post but a slightly longer reach.

I think you'd be happy on either a 27.5 or 29. Is it a hardtail? Giant didn't do a high end 29" HT for 2015 so it's either 27.5 or drop down to the XTC advanced 29er 1. Size wise... I'm not sure. I run 785 seat to centre BB but I'm 183cm. Giant are slightly shorter in the top tube than a lot of other brands (10-15mm) if that helps.

Thanks Chookie the one I saw was the anthem advanced 27.5 duallie.

I don't know the difference between xc and trail either is there an easy explanation and which way should I be heading ?

Thanks

Roxii, The Anthem is an XC bike but will handle most things other than big drops. Trail/All mountain bikes have longer travel suspension and (I think) more relaxed geometry. For the type of riding you want to do, an Anthem or similar dual susp would be ideal, as would a Hardtail.

Thanks again. This could turn into a "cranky" thread :lol:

If you've got the funds and are thinking longer term it's often better to spend a bit more. After you've been riding a while you'll appreciate the lighter wheels with tubeless ready rims, better tyres etc, all of which aren't cheap to upgrade.

I have an anthem x 29er 1 which I paid $2200 for; however 3 months later I got better wheels and tyres which cost me another $700.

I have some really cool 29er wheels I could sell you roxi :-)

set up tubeless and ready to go

cheers

ivp

Nice bike though.

Hi Roxii, I'm 177 and initially bought a 27.5 Anthem in Medium. I didn't mind it and it fit, but I guess my road/tri background meant I wanted to be able to ride fast(er). That's where the 29" wheels really come into play. So I bought a 29er 3 months later...

Buy the smaller frame, it will be slightly lighter and much more agile! The bigger the frame the harder it is to throw it around sharp corners (which you will most likely encounter more than enough), especially in a 29er.

Decided to get realistic and dialled the budget back a little as it was getting too big for my current (non existent) skill level.

Got the Anthem 27.5 Dually with full XT

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27-5-dual-suspension-mountain-bikes/giant/nsw/liverpool/anthem-27-5-1/102561104

Full XT, Good tyres and Fox factory fork! That's a good spec for the $.

I know it's usually the same old shop spiel but I have had it confirmed somewhat independently that pretty much everything on a boat now to land for the new season will be at least up 20% with the dollar the way it is. So current stock is an even better bargain. I got to look at Giants live stock holding on one shops computer and there is next to nothing left. So it's a pretty good time to buy if you hurry and get what's left (and aren't fussed about it being 2015 model and only 10 speed)

Dialled back the budget and still spent 2.7 k.

I'm starting to feel more and more like goughy every day! :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the bottom of the barrel :)