Sign in to follow this  
roxii

$2k ish best bang for buck MTB

The Giant I was offered $3600 including xt pedals but there seems to only be 27.5 s around. Does this matter much or are they just trying to offload some stock?

Nice bike though.

Also seems like I'm in strange fit territory. I run 775 seat from bb but am "only" 177 so can run a medium with a shed load of seat post or a large with normal seat post but a slightly longer reach.

The Giant I was offered $3600 including xt pedals but there seems to only be 27.5 s around. Does this matter much or are they just trying to offload some stock?

Nice bike though.

Also seems like I'm in strange fit territory. I run 775 seat from bb but am "only" 177 so can run a medium with a shed load of seat post or a large with normal seat post but a slightly longer reach.

I think you'd be happy on either a 27.5 or 29. Is it a hardtail? Giant didn't do a high end 29" HT for 2015 so it's either 27.5 or drop down to the XTC advanced 29er 1. Size wise... I'm not sure. I run 785 seat to centre BB but I'm 183cm. Giant are slightly shorter in the top tube than a lot of other brands (10-15mm) if that helps.

Thanks Chookie the one I saw was the anthem advanced 27.5 duallie.

I don't know the difference between xc and trail either is there an easy explanation and which way should I be heading ?

Thanks

Roxii, The Anthem is an XC bike but will handle most things other than big drops. Trail/All mountain bikes have longer travel suspension and (I think) more relaxed geometry. For the type of riding you want to do, an Anthem or similar dual susp would be ideal, as would a Hardtail.

Thanks again. This could turn into a "cranky" thread :lol:

If you've got the funds and are thinking longer term it's often better to spend a bit more. After you've been riding a while you'll appreciate the lighter wheels with tubeless ready rims, better tyres etc, all of which aren't cheap to upgrade.

I have an anthem x 29er 1 which I paid $2200 for; however 3 months later I got better wheels and tyres which cost me another $700.

I have some really cool 29er wheels I could sell you roxi :-)

set up tubeless and ready to go

cheers

ivp

Nice bike though.

Hi Roxii, I'm 177 and initially bought a 27.5 Anthem in Medium. I didn't mind it and it fit, but I guess my road/tri background meant I wanted to be able to ride fast(er). That's where the 29" wheels really come into play. So I bought a 29er 3 months later...

Buy the smaller frame, it will be slightly lighter and much more agile! The bigger the frame the harder it is to throw it around sharp corners (which you will most likely encounter more than enough), especially in a 29er.

Decided to get realistic and dialled the budget back a little as it was getting too big for my current (non existent) skill level.

Got the Anthem 27.5 Dually with full XT

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27-5-dual-suspension-mountain-bikes/giant/nsw/liverpool/anthem-27-5-1/102561104

Full XT, Good tyres and Fox factory fork! That's a good spec for the $.

I know it's usually the same old shop spiel but I have had it confirmed somewhat independently that pretty much everything on a boat now to land for the new season will be at least up 20% with the dollar the way it is. So current stock is an even better bargain. I got to look at Giants live stock holding on one shops computer and there is next to nothing left. So it's a pretty good time to buy if you hurry and get what's left (and aren't fussed about it being 2015 model and only 10 speed)

Dialled back the budget and still spent 2.7 k.

I'm starting to feel more and more like goughy every day! :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the bottom of the barrel :)