Cat Lady

Iolite- I so need one of these

Is it April the 1st

the only people buying this will be triathletes

If it actually works it wouldn't be any good in the ocean (where you would need it) as you bob up and down and from side to side all the time so the thing would be continually going off

I'm sure we will see some at an IM soon

WTC will need to included a wheel barrow instead of gear bags so all the super duper "athletes" can carry around all there gadgets on the course lol

Cheers

Ivp

Do u have to input coordinates to swim to?

How does it know where u should be going?

Do u have to input coordinates to swim to?

How does it know where u should be going?

DC Rainmaker did a review. You don't input coordinates but swim in a straight line for 10s or so. It will detect this straight line and keep you on that heading. If you need to change direction at a bouy you need to swim in a straight line again for 10s or so. It will re-lock on the new direction.

DC Rainmaker did a review. You don't input coordinates but swim in a straight line for 10s or so. It will detect this straight line and keep you on that heading. If you need to change direction at a bouy you need to swim in a straight line again for 10s or so. It will re-lock on the new direction.

cheers!

They should make them compulsory for all swimmers over 1:10 at IM. I'm back in that group, and the wiggly paths some folks take! Would straighten some of them out nicely

Turtle, wouldn't the swim have to be straight to do ? I mean, in Port, you dodge boats and stuff so the noise would be like being next to a reversing truck.

FM

Turtle, wouldn't the swim have to be straight to do ? I mean, in Port, you dodge boats and stuff so the noise would be like being next to a reversing truck.

FM

Yeah, I'm guessing, from TLD's post above.

Personally, it'd probably send me into an epileptic fit with all the flashing going on, especially dodging around "stuff", as well as other swimmers.

I wonder what the tolerance is before it starts flashing at you - how much deviation, and after how long. And then if you try and get back on track, is it trying to make you go straight on the now wrong orientation? If it doesn't know the length of the leg, you could be even worse off

I suppose I could read DC Rainmakers analysis..... but I'm at work and kinda busy ( :shy::sick::sleep1: )

Clearly the inventors have never done orienteering. I'm happy for everyone to use this as their 3 degree error at one buoy turns into 50m extra to swim at the next.

There are many skills in swimming that are hard to learn and require dedication and patience. Sighting isn't one of them.

I have noticed over the past year that the large pink buoys being used primarily by USM are very good to sight off. Consequently, this toy may be made redundant by such buoys.

For those that are claiming that sighting is easy, how many of you are heavily shortsighted?

I am guessing nearly none.

being that I usually cannot see a bouy that is more than ~150m away, anytime I have a longer path to swim, I usually just try to look for closer legs and pray they are going in the right direction. This does not end up being a straight swim.

Saw DCR talk about the IOLites previously, and might end up buying a set. I can see it being very useful for races such as the National Capital Swim.

Is this cheaper than a pair of prescription goggles? If you can't see a swim buoy 150m away how the hell do you know where to start swimming your straight line towards anyway?

In any event my point is that they may keep you swimming in a straight line but if that straight line isn't pointing directly at the buoy in the first place you will lose a lot more time swimming back than you would on sighting properly. You will still need to sight regularly and more the closer you get in order to minimise your error. If you work towards evening up your stroke (hint: start by always breathing bilaterally) you will swim straight enough that you can reduce your sighting to as little as you would need using this device at a cost of nada.

It's another overly complex solution to a problem that already has a simple one.

• Like 1

Is this cheaper than a pair of prescription goggles? If you can't see a swim buoy 150m away how the hell do you know where to start swimming your straight line towards anyway?

Cheaper than a pair that fits, yes. (most perscript googles are.... crap.)

And that answer is easy - pray you are not to far behind someone else who just went around the bouy and swim at them instead.