He's got Roger Federer in the next round. Hopefully he learns a few things about how to conduct himself on the tennis court.

Basically it was asking the lines of "you're better than this, people have paid money to see you, etc".  Effectively a pep talk!

Shows how much talent he has.  It's annoying to see, bit in the end, it's his issue.  How many people are out there doing mundane jobs and just breezing through the day.  Well, I guess this is his mundane job.  

In recent weeks I’ve heard a few people in the know say he is one of the most naturally gifted players EVER but is throwing it away. 

5 hours ago, roxii said:

In recent weeks I’ve heard a few people in the know say he is one of the most naturally gifted players EVER but is throwing it away. 

People used to say the same thing about Jacobs 

I read the reports on what the umpire said, and immediately thought that it was out of order. That's a coach's job, not a match official's - and the evidence of the effect it has is clear: he turned the game around and went onto win.

Perhaps the take-away from this, is that he needs more direct feel-good-motivation.

Was he a spoilt child growing up?

Not only a coaches job, bit not a job the coach can do mid match - no coaching of any kind allowed!

Nick can barely soften up his stool....... (And yes, I mean shit)

• Like 1

Saw that this morning.  Only paper that would even attempt that headline me thinks :)

11 hours ago, Peter said:

Gotta love the NT news

FEC96E5F-0EF5-4839-9FEC-9F1423E4B23E.png

I loved the byline - "knocks off the greatest of all time". 

If that title was to go to a tennis player though, I would have given it to the Poo.

On 31/08/2018 at 1:29 PM, roxii said:

If ever there was a player who should be punted for suspicion of match fixing it would be Kyrios. 

The odds must fluctuate hugely during his games. 

Yeah, nothing to see here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-12/sportsbet-paid-nick-kyrgioss-brother-$40000/10803418?fbclid=IwAR3NCntsAFIG5xJyZJ_Yzh4nUXfHyfck-DeP5Azs47VAV2TzetC0ZpOLGOA

Apart from my personal distaste of gambling, I don’t see what the issue is. If it’s not related to match fixing then what’s the big deal.

7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Apart from my personal distaste of gambling, I don’t see what the issue is. If it’s not related to match fixing then what’s the big deal.

Players & their entourage are not allowed to promote gambling. Having his brother in the coach/family box, wearing a Sportsbet shirt is flouting those rules.

And one could just as easily say a test cricketer paid by a Pakistani bookmaker to give "wicket reports" is nothing either.

8 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Thats the problem though. As soon as you start getting in bed with these folks the water gets too murky to tell. 

Why is he getting paid? Just to wear a T-shirt? He sits courtside at the match, gives a few dodgy signals, or does he just have an itchy chin?  

Kyrios has some bizarre results that could easily be seen as similar to match fixing scenarios when he tanks two sets then wins in 5 etc. In the day when the final result was all that mattered  it was win/ loss results and many players ego would prevent them from throwing a match.

These days exotic bets can be based on each set, each game, number of aces etc, so a player can throw a game or set to get a desired result yet still win the match to keep their ego in check or make the final result look plausible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roxii said:

Thats the problem though. As soon as you start getting in bed with these folks the water gets too murky to tell. 

Why is he getting paid? Just to wear a T-shirt? He sits courtside at the match, gives a few dodgy signals, or does he just have an itchy chin?  

Kyrios has some bizarre results that could easily be seen as similar to match fixing scenarios when he tanks two sets then wins in 5 etc. In the day when the final result was all that mattered  it was win/ loss results and many players ego would prevent them from throwing a match.

These days exotic bets can be based on each set, each game, number of aces etc, so a player can throw a game or set to get a desired result yet still win the match to keep their ego in check or make the final result look plausible. 

Agree , agree and agree.

All gambling advertising should be banned fullstop.

• Like 2

Tomic cruised into the 2nd round of the NY Open. Next match tonigh v John Isner (top seed). If he was to win this match he could win this thing.

Also Hewitt is there too.... playing doubles.......

interesting!!!

9 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Agree , agree and agree.

All gambling advertising should be banned fullstop.

Absolutely. It’s worse than beer commercials. 

Kids cant watch sport without being exposed to gambling.  

its actually a disgrace.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worse than the "real" commercials, is when they come on at half time & give the odds etc for all the games as if it's vital information. It's becoming just like the "infomercials" on morning TV.

Remember when Tom Waterhouse was all over the NRL. 

I even signed Fitzsimmons change.org petition on gambling. For once it actually made an impact. Laws were put in place around live odds etc.

plus we don’t see Tom anymore.

19 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

plus we don’t see Tom anymore

we don't see Tom because he sold out to one of the international betting agencies and you see lots of their ads

Edited by Limited

9 hours ago, Limited said:

we don't see Tom because he sold out to one of the international betting agencies and you see lots of their ads

He still runs it though. 

Our Aussie Nick back to his best. Shows all his talents in one match: 

• threatening to pull out
  • yelling at the crowd
  • and even some good tennis

But the new skill is perseverance. Is he finally showing some maturity? Surely not....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-28/nadal-loses-to-kyrgios-lashes-aussie-in-mexico-open/10859574

Nick had a great match. More opponents should complain about Nadal exceeding the time limit between points. He get away with it all the time.

Edited by Mike Del

7 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Nick had a great match. More opponents should complain about Nadal exceeding the time limit between points. He get away with it all the time.

ah, no. not a great match in the slightest. nick was an absolute embarrassment, and no one cares if he happened to win the match. players also can't go over the time limit these days as there is a clock behind them. 

Got a feeling he could win a major at some point and become a national hero for a short time. People are fickle things.

49 minutes ago, Merv said:

Got a feeling he could win a major at some point and become a national hero for a short time. People are fickle things.

That's what I've always said-when hes loosing hes a wanker, when he is winning hes a larrikin....you see it in the workplace also all the time, someone who is struggling in performance gets pulled up on every little action, someone who is kicking goals can get away with murder.

• Haha 1

He is no different to Hewitt.

We all hated him and then we loved him and now we hate him again.

• Haha 1

I see Kyriois beat Stan Wawrinka last night to get to the Semi Finals. Interestingly he claims he was kept up till 3am the night before the match for drug testing. Surely if that's true, the testers should be slammed for what could very well ruin a person's game the next day.

And I loved Nick's response to Nadal on Instagram. 

image.png.2fc7a487e353b9c22ada933ea0533d34.png

I wonder if we ever will see the names of the owners of those 211 bags of blood WADA still have hold of.

On 01/03/2019 at 6:58 AM, Prince said:

ah, no. not a great match in the slightest. nick was an absolute embarrassment, and no one cares if he happened to win the match. players also can't go over the time limit these days as there is a clock behind them. 

lol The clock is on the server. Several times in the last set time was up but Nick couldn't serve because Nadal was still mucking around, once on Nick's match point. The commentators talked quite extensively about it ......  Didn't you watch it???? 

1 minute ago, Mike Del said:

lol The clock is on the server. Several times in the last set time was up but Nick couldn't serve because Nadal was still mucking around, once on Nick's match point. The commentators talked quite extensively about it ......  Didn't you watch it???? 

no. just saw the highlights. saw kyrigious win but get booed. never seen anyone win but get booed.

30 minutes ago, Prince said:

no. just saw the highlights. saw kyrigious win but get booed. never seen anyone win but get booed.

You’ve never been to an nrl game? 

Or seen Melbourne play afl 

50 minutes ago, Prince said:

Or see the crowd boo Naomi Osaka when she won the US Open? To the point here she was crying and apologised for winning. Not a great way to win your first Grand Slam.

The mexican crowd are just as big Nadal supporters as the yanks are Williams, so of course he would get booed.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

1 hour ago, Prince said:

Nick got booed from the start of the match. Those Spanish speaking countries stick together

I knew you must not have seen it.  Nadal had 3 match points but Nick played amazing tennis to come back and win. A huge power game. The tennis press have been raving about quality of the match and very supportive of Nick in regards to Nadal's press conference comments.

Edited by Mike Del

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I see Kyriois beat Stan Wawrinka last night to get to the Semi Finals. Interestingly he claims he was kept up till 3am the night before the match for drug testing. Surely if that's true, the testers should be slammed for what could very well ruin a person's game the next day.

I assume that would mean he was too dehydrated to pee straight after and it took a while for him to provide enough for a sample

Another win in the Semi this morning, and into the final tonight. Why doesn't he have these form spurts during Grand Slam tournaments?

And he got booed ON to the court this time.

Whilst I'm not his biggest fan, you can't fault his game this week. He just beat the World number 2, 3 & 9, and a multiple Grand Slam winner to take out his first tournament in over a year. I wonder how long it will last?

Nick is entertaining.  I like him. 

I don’t like when he just give up. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Whilst I'm not his biggest fan, you can't fault his game this week. He just beat the World number 2, 3 & 9, and a multiple Grand Slam winner to take out his first tournament in over a year. I wonder how long it will last?

Until the cheque clears & he starts partying 

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Until the cheque clears & he starts partying 

It was only just over half a million. Petty cash. :)

"Hugely talented, highly complex character"... a quote from a commentator that sums it up well. 

6 hours ago, softy said:

"Hugely talented, highly complex character"... a quote from a commentator that sums it up well. 

And there you go, he wins something and like clockwork the narrative is already starting to change...now all of a sudden his style is 'entertaining'. God reporters are just glorified used car salesmen..

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/when-it-comes-to-shaking-up-tennis-kyrgios-is-peerless-20190304-p511iy.html

"For the sake of entertainment, hopefully he can achieve that in his own inimitable style."

He's amazing. If he got his shiz together he'd be world number one for a very long time. He's the Mundenie of tennis. So talented but an ass. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

So talented but an ass. 

That is the perfect description.

He is young with no parental guidance.  Just a dickhead brother leaching off him.

I actually think if he started to date one of the pro tennis women, it could all change extremely fast.

Edited by Peter

On 04/03/2019 at 3:19 AM, softy said:

Highly complex? Nah, I know him. He's a basic bitch with a massive head. His brother Kristos is a bigger **** wit than nic (however Nic wasn't always a douche). The thing I reckon he needs to do is get rid of the hangers on he always has around. I learnt a while ago the company you keep plays the biggest part in your trajectory. 

Claim to fame: I beat Nic in a match one time. Fair enough I'm a little older (8 years) and he was only 14 at the time, but I won and that's all anyone remembers :P He was only just starting to get really good at that point.

Kyriois has a bye in the first round at Indian Wells, then if he gets through the 2nd round, will play Djokovic in the 3rd round. If he can keep his sh1t together & win, it would mean the top 3 scalps in 2 weeks.