so, do we excuse Kyryios because of his age? To me he is really embarassing us Aussies. I know he is young, but i don't know if Rafter (who was just a straight out ambassador and brilliant guy) or Newc, or earlier aussies acted like this at that age, as either can recall any of our women excepting docic acting that way. There are enough mentors around for him and i am sure telling him to pull his head in, he is making Tomic look like an angel. Except for Tomics spray against Tennis Australia. Gee i hope we don't give these guys money to support them.

the worst of it to me is that he says, its just the pressure of the match etc,, but he then denies things in his press conference, 'no, i didn't think it was disrespectful saying what i did to the umpire', and no i didnt throw any points' etc.

i don't want those guys playing Davis Cup at all till they prove their behaviour is my impression. They aren't bigger than the game, and we don't need them, we did it to the "poo' so i say get rid of them. The trouble is as soon as they start to have a few big wins, all is forgotten and we all jump on the bandwagon.

any thoughts...

I like nick but don't like Tomic. I think very soon the antics of nick will be controlled and he will be pretty hard to beat. He has the talent and the temperament as well. This looks to Richard will hurt him because he had his measure but lost his composure.

The guy is an arse.

I can forgive some piss and bad manners (Hewitt came good after an arrogant start) but you don't f******* abuse an umpire, no matter what. And then don't turn around and lie and tell all in a presser that you were really calling yourself a whatever scum.

There are some pretty big names saying he could be anything in tennis, but until he gets that shit out of his game he can piss of and join Tomic.

(OK, suffering following an op, but that feels much better)

The guy is an arse.

I can forgive some piss and bad manners (Hewitt came good after an arrogant start) but you don't f******* abuse an umpire, no matter what. And then don't turn around and lie and tell all in a presser that you were really calling yourself a whatever scum.

There are some pretty big names saying he could be anything in tennis, but until he gets that shit out of his game he can piss of and join Tomic.

(OK, suffering following an op, but that feels much better)

This x 1000

Tremendous tennis player

Tremendous ego

Tremendous dick head

I wish he'd just stick to being a great tennis player, leave the ego behind and stop beign a dickhead.

The way he's going I'm starting to think of him the same way I think of Anthony Mundine .. great athlete, but everytime he open his mouth I want someone to punch him in the head.

tennis is full of hot heads and for a 20yr young fella - cut him some slack.

They get paid too much too young, they think the are celebrities first and tennis players second. They get surrounded by "Yes" men and enablers then dont like when a call goes against them.

Soon though they realise that they are only a celebrity as long as the tennis is good, and if that falls by the wayside then so do they. They then have to decide where to go with this.

it will be interesting how he moves forward from now. It is not like he has Mcenroes credentials. He will either become alienated by Australians if he doesnt quickly aplogise, and say 'hey i;ve been an arsehole' or he will say nothing, and pressure will keep building on him which i dont think he will handle. It would be be a very lonely and tought road if he doesnt have crowd support at tournaments. i think it is more than Aussies that think he is a knob by the way. If he did these 'tanking' points at the US open for instance, they would eat him alive...

it will be interesting how he moves forward from now. It is not like he has Mcenroes credentials. He will either become alienated by Australians if he doesnt quickly aplogise, and say 'hey i;ve been an arsehole' or he will say nothing, and pressure will keep building on him which i dont think he will handle. It would be be a very lonely and tought road if he doesnt have crowd support at tournaments. i think it is more than Aussies that think he is a knob by the way. If he did these 'tanking' points at the US open for instance, they would eat him alive...

He was roundly boooed when it appeared he was tanking points...

I don't reckon he will go anywhere good with his current attitude. These days, sponsors want a good ambassador for their brand as well as a good athlete, and the public will offer little support if he keeps acting like a brat.

tennis is full of hot heads and for a 20yr young fella - cut him some slack.

No way.

If he wants to act like a tool, deal with the results. There is no excuse (age, money, talent) for simply being a wanker.

I don't get to come to work and act like a cock just cause i'm 'young and hot headed'

No way.

If he wants to act like a tool, deal with the results. There is no excuse (age, money, talent) for simply being a wanker.

I don't get to come to work and act like a cock just cause i'm 'young and hot headed'

Working in a office is not the right comparison to professional athletes. If I put a camera on your face which captures everything you say under highly charged situations, while your HR is going through the roof and you are in a 1-1 situation - I think your opinion of yourself will be quite different as well.

We have a lot of PC people in professional sport. Besides - no athlete has ever said a bad word about him - in fact most like him and say he is a nice kid in the locker room - always very chatty. He has done some good things outside the court as well.

It is not his fault he is getting paid mega bucks for being No 26 in the world. there is no reason not to make as much money as possible in your short playing carrier - anyone in the world would do it.

And advertisers love a slightly bad boy as well. Provided he doesnt end up molesting chicks in the toilets - he will be a huge drawcard in the times to come.

Working in a office is not the right comparison to professional athletes. If I put a camera on your face which captures everything you say under highly charged situations, while your HR is going through the roof and you are in a 1-1 situation - I think your opinion of yourself will be quite different as well.

We have a lot of PC people in professional sport. Besides - no athlete has ever said a bad word about him - in fact most like him and say he is a nice kid in the locker room - always very chatty. He has done some good things outside the court as well.

It is not his fault he is getting paid mega bucks for being No 26 in the world. there is no reason not to make as much money as possible in your short playing carrier - anyone in the world would do it.

And advertisers love a slightly bad boy as well. Provided he doesnt end up molesting chicks in the toilets - he will be a huge drawcard in the times to come.

I have no problem with him showing emotion, throwing the odd racquet, getting hot under the collar and even swearing.... to me this is all entirely part of what you said above - he's highly charged, in a highly charged arena, under the spotlight and showing some emotino is perfectly reasonable.

Where I draw the line is him yelling at a ball boy earlier in the week (for not bringing his towel quick enough) and being a dick to the chair umpire (who is doing his job).

You can show emotion without being an ass to other people.

Like I said, if he wants to throw barbed comments at others, who are just doing their job, then he is likely to get them back in the form of fierce media questions and lack of support from fans.

And this is exactly what I would expect in my workplace. People swear, get annoyed, probably kick a bin every now and then - but I draw the line at being a dick to other people.

Having said that, I think he was completely in the right to have a go at Dawn Frawer ....

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/wimbledon/wimbledon-2015-dawn-fraser-hits-out-at-nick-kyrgios-20150707-gi6o3u.html

Edited by TryTriB4Forty
  • Like 1

Don't forget Lleyton started out as a twat too. That "C'mon" shout he used all the time actually started as "C'mon Balboa" becuase he got off on the Rocky movies.

Also agree that Dawn Fraser is way out of line if she is quoted correctly.

Trouble is, all would be completely forgotten if he say beats say Djokic in the US Open third Round. I suppose being a 'legend' of a sport is a long journey, and its more on how and the long term legacy we remember stars of yesteryear.

i remember little of worth bout the 'Poo' even though he won the US Open. I remember Pat Cash and Rafter and Hewitt, as I thought in general they were pretty humble and good tough fighters. The 'Poo; rode off in his Ferrari and was not well liked is all i remember. The too young to know better doesnt cut it for me, as these guys have acaully been in the game for a lot of years. They are not overnight sensations, and Rafter, Roche, Hewitt and many many others are around giving them advice. To me its not his anger on court, ws we have all seen that, it is the fact both him and Tomic dont leave it on court where it belongs. Even Mcenroe wasnt that arrogant in press conferences, and admitted when he was wrong. They are actually both becoming embarrasing.

He's a spoiled brat that's probably been surrounded by sycophants his whole tennis career telling him how amazing he is and when things don't go his way, the toys come out the pram. It is frustrating when things don't go your way in sport, but you need to learn to respect the umpire/ref/TO and accept their calls. He will be forever hamstrung as a tennis player if he carries on acting in this manner.

Im with Dawn.

I am NOT. This is from a woman who was banned from swimming for Australia for at least 10 years. 'He is without sin can cast the first stone'.

I agree with Roxii in relation to how the money has ruined the sport. There are a lot of very good tennis players that hate their sport. Agassi mentioned this in his book.

The kid needs help and not from the like of us. Tennis is now a global sport and that attracts a lot of money and where there is money there is corruption. Tennis Australia needs to get some good quality sport psychologists to help these kids. They should also put them on some programs to show them how the 'rest of the world lives'. A visit to the cancer ward at the local children's hospital is a good place to start.

If we don't support them then they will be gone and then we wonder why we don't have any good tennis players. Give me a Nick and Bernie any day ahead of the likes of Chris Guccione or Todd Reid. Look at what happened with Ashleigh Barty. Junior Wimbledon champion in 2011 and 3 years later walked away from the game.

And Prince the 'Poo never won the US Open. I think he made the final but lost to Rafter.

• Like 1

I reckon we need a new law.

Anyone suspected of being "Un-Australian" should have their citizenship revoked.

in his press conference he did said he was unhappy the way he played the game and has let people down.

in his press conference he did said he was unhappy the way he played the game and has let people down.

Yeah, but he also said he wasn't being disrespectul to the umpire.

He said that, and I shit you not, he was simply asking the umpire "if he felt big and strong up there" because he was genuiney interested ...

• Like 1

And Prince the 'Poo never won the US Open. I think he made the final but lost to Rafter.

Oh wow, didnt realise that. did he at least win Wimbeledon?

Oh wow, didnt realise that. did he at least win Wimbeledon?

No. Got to the final in 2003, but lost to Federer. The Poo did not win a Grand Slam. Yet. The rumour is that he is on the comeback trail at age 38.

• Like 1

Nick and Bernie are 2 of the biggest flogs I've ever seen. They're both an embarassment to Australia. I'd be quite happy for them both to win while representing another country.

He said that, and I shit you not, he was simply asking the umpire "if he felt big and strong up there" because he was genuiney interested ...

yeah yeah - go ahead and stone the kid for being a cheeky d!ck - like you and I have never thought we were the smartest blokes in town.

He is playing out his life in public eye.

Have you seen how many times Federer/Nadal/Serena/sharapova have blown up on the umpire. In the heat of the moment people say stoopid stuff.

Not fair to group tomic and Nick. Tomic's father is a controlling manipulative idiot who is the main reason his kid has turned out the way he has. By the time he will mature to an age to understand his father's behaviour it would be too late.

yeah yeah - go ahead and stone the kid for being a cheeky d!ck - like you and I have never thought we were the smartest blokes in town.

He is playing out his life in public eye.

Have you seen how many times Federer/Nadal/Serena/sharapova have blown up on the umpire. In the heat of the moment people say stoopid stuff.

Yeah I know - I actually thought it was pretty funny.

I partially agree with what you are saying - like I said before I accept that he will say and do stupid shit (like everyone).

Thing is I think there is a line.

This week I think he crossed the line, mainly for taking it out on other people around him, but also for being an incessant dickhead.

A couple of smart arse comments here and there mean he's human

In my view, being a ass to those around you from sun up till sun down make you a dick

Driving home from Tenby yesterday, they had an interview on the Radio with Rod Laver, he sounded quite the gent but was incredibly driven. He said his career spanned the amateur and pro era. He said virtually everything is better with the pro era, except some of the behavior . he didn't single anyone out.

I've hardly watched any tennis this year. It's a knockout game, why would anyone tank any points at all? I hadn't heard that accusation.

You probably should read a bit more about him. He is not a bad person.

Same can't be said about Dawn Fraser.

Both of my kids play tennis. in fact we are in the US right now at a tennis camp. as I am not a tennis player, my input comes in the way of sportsmanship. I told them both to never call a ball out when it is not out or you are unsure and never ever argue with an official. pretty basic stuff. He is not playing mini smashers level. He is playing Grand Slam tennis.

Trouble is, all would be completely forgotten if he say beats say Djokic in the US Open third Round. I suppose being a 'legend' of a sport is a long journey, and its more on how and the long term legacy we remember stars of yesteryear.

i remember little of worth bout the 'Poo' even though he won the US Open. I remember Pat Cash and Rafter and Hewitt, as I thought in general they were pretty humble and good tough fighters. The 'Poo; rode off in his Ferrari and was not well liked is all i remember. The too young to know better doesnt cut it for me, as these guys have acaully been in the game for a lot of years. They are not overnight sensations, and Rafter, Roche, Hewitt and many many others are around giving them advice. To me its not his anger on court, ws we have all seen that, it is the fact both him and Tomic dont leave it on court where it belongs. Even Mcenroe wasnt that arrogant in press conferences, and admitted when he was wrong. They are actually both becoming embarrasing.

the poo spent some quality time with anna K, legend

I like him more and more, most umpires and people attracted to being officials tend to enjoy the power and use the position to make up for their lack of ability in the chosen sport.

I've hardly watched any tennis this year. It's a knockout game, why would anyone tank any points at all? I hadn't heard that accusation.

Maybe it's been a bigger thing over here than there. Saying that, if you saw the two points in question, you'd have thought he tanked those shots. I mean, to walk off of a serve while the guys in the motion and then tell the people 'you and try and return one of his serves'. The word there is 'try'. He didn't. He might not have been tanking the whole match, but he certainly wasn't putting any intent into those points.

Ok, i give up. Who is the poo?

mark philippoussis. Oft considered to be missing a heart muscle. Had a problem dad too. Let's just say with what my dad and I both believed, he could have used some time in the mental health thread. Great talent, but probably didn't have the head for the game. But I don't think he should be lumped into a discussion with these two. These two are talents with plenty of fight, but have some attitude or chips on their shoulders.

Nicky says he wants the respect of the aussie people. As he gets older he'll learn that respect is earned by what you say and what you do. It's not a given. Part of that is owning up when you F up. To walk off of someone's serve then say 'you try and return one of his serves'. Key word is 'try'. He didn't try.

mark philippoussis. Oft considered to be missing a heart muscle. Had a problem dad too. Let's just say with what my dad and I both believed, he could have used some time in the mental health thread. Great talent, but probably didn't have the head for the game. But I don't think he should be lumped into a discussion with these two. These two are talents with plenty of fight, but have some attitude or chips on their shoulders.

Nicky says he wants the respect of the aussie people. As he gets older he'll learn that respect is earned by what you say and what you do. It's not a given. Part of that is owning up when you F up. To walk off of someone's serve then say 'you try and return one of his serves'. Key word is 'try'. He didn't try.

Mate - he won the next set - took the 4th to tie breaker which he narrowly lost - which part was not trying ?

He was upset by the umpiring giving him a code violation before that game. Federer has lost games, sets and matches when his rhythm gets upset due to a bad umpiring decision or someone shouting from the crowd mid point. everyone reacts differently when their mind gets scrambled.

Way too much scrutiny and criticism for a teenager. Like we all were perfect little specimens when we were at that stage of our lives. I think the biggest beef people have about young sportstars is that they are rich and considered "undeserving" for all the money they get and hence expected to behave as model citizens.

Both Federer and Murray came out in support of the young fella. I think this media storm is a good thing for him though - a taste of the real world will only make him come back stronger. And he will also realise why everyone else in the tennis circuit is so PC.

Old Dawn has certainly created a dilemma for lefties

If they don't side with the impertinent wanker, they'll miss an opportunity to call someone a racist

• Like 1

Way too much scrutiny and criticism for a teenager. Like we all were perfect little specimens when we were at that stage of our lives. I think the biggest beef people have about young sportstars is that they are rich and considered "undeserving" for all the money they get and hence expected to behave as model citizens.

Been here plenty of times before with other young athletes behaving like dicks and their dysfunctional behaviour is excused because of their youth, their enthusiasm, their competitiveness or some other bull$hit. At the end of the day there are other guys and girls out there competing at a similar level that are capable of demonstrating a mature attitude, respecting the umpire/referee, respecting their opponents etc etc So if they can behave, why can't he?

• Like 1

Been here plenty of times before with other young athletes behaving like dicks and their dysfunctional behaviour is excused because of their youth, their enthusiasm, their competitiveness or some other bull$hit. At the end of the day there are other guys and girls out there competing at a similar level that are capable of demonstrating a mature attitude, respecting the umpire/referee, respecting their opponents etc etc So if they can behave, why can't he?

Because he's an asshole.

• Like 1

Mate - he won the next set - took the 4th to tie breaker which he narrowly lost - which part was not trying ?

Mate, have you not seen the footage. He was tanking. Even Mr nice guy Todd Woodbridge said he was tanking. He did not try for at least a whole game. That is against the rules. He was right to be called out on it and is lucky that he didn't get fined more than he already did.

Young kids are watching him - I don't give a rats arse what level tennis (or any other sport) you are playing - don't f**** abuse the umpires / refs. Not for any reason. Then after you have, don't make up some bullshit lie about it not being directed at the Umpire.

Mate the guy is gifted. I want him to succeed, but I'd prefer he did as a half decent human being on the court and that's not what we are getting.

Richard Gasquet broke his racket on the court after losing the 2 match points in the 3rd set - acceptable behavior ? or was he just disappointed so its ok.

No point getting into a debate of sports personalities being model citizens for the young ones. The younger ones learn a lot about carrying themselves from their parents than watching sports stars on TV. It is simply passing the blame.

I'm not arguing against him tanking that game - he certainly did but I doubt it was for malicious intents. That looked like a typical young person " I don't give a F" attitude. After that set he was all guns blazing again. I'm sure he would realize these kind of things only will harm him.

His altercations with the umpires are blown out of proportion. He carries on the court a bit for sure but shouldnt be vilified for it. People love all the trick shots but when they dont come off everyone call him a wanker.

I was disappointed in him losing because I thought he can go to SF or even Final the way he played against Raonic.

So if they can behave, why can't he?

If you can answer that question, you can probably answer the question for society as a whole. :)

I did like Federer's take on it - Kyrgios had less than a minute of not having a go.

Andre Agassi was a "wild child" but he turned out OK.

People mature at different rates, some people never do, but there is a massive over reaction to a bloke playing tennis and being a bit of a knob head.

If they don't side with the impertinent wanker, they'll miss an opportunity to call someone a racist

No siding required. Half a brain and a tiny degree of respect is enough to realise that what Dawn said about "go back to where you came from" is totally inappropriate and shows her up as a bigot. And she doesn't have the (feeble) excuse of being young and mouthing off in the heat of the moment.

I think Kyriois behaved like a prat on court, but he's not exactly the first one to do so. His post-race press conference was less excusable - but again he's not the first top player to carry on like an impertinent wanker. Remember Andre Agassi in his youth? I hope Kyriois listens to some good advice and lives up to his talent so we can get on with supporting him.

• Like 1

I thought Richard Gasquet was tanking with a piss weak serves he was dishing out...

He played like sh*t, he deliberately tanked and he abused the umpire, he deserves all the criticism he gets.

Maybe it's been a bigger thing over here than there. Saying that, if you saw the two points in question, you'd have thought he tanked those shots. I mean, to walk off of a serve while the guys in the motion and then tell the people 'you and try and return one of his serves'. The word there is 'try'. He didn't. He might not have been tanking the whole match, but he certainly wasn't putting any intent into those points.

OK, that explains how he tanked but not why. Did he just not care about advancing in the comp? I don't understand why anyone would tank a single point in a knockout format?

I think the larger issue is not that he is a dickhead 'acting out' or whatever the other excuses are, it's the behavior he is displaying compared to those around him. Plenty of young people playing the game, on television, same pressure and somehow they manage not display the same traits. It doesn't matter what little Ley-Ley did or Agassi, that was years ago and a different era and different expectations compared to now.

Naomi Broady lost her entire funding when she was 17 just for posting a dodgy picture of herself drinking in a nightclub. She didn't abuse anybody, threaten anybody or do anything remotely close to what Kyrios does (repeatedly).

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

I don't think he was tanking the whole thing. I don't know if he lost focus or what. But it seems he didn't care about that game. He took the 3rd and 4th to tie breakers.

I don't think he was tanking the whole thing. I don't know if he lost focus or what. But it seems he didn't care about that game. He took the 3rd and 4th to tie breakers.

ah, that makes more sense. Sounds like more of a brain fart than manipulative tanking (Korean and Chinese badminton players, I'm looking at you!)

He's no teenager. He's 20. I certainly don't think a 20 year old can or should be given ANY leeway for acting like an asshole.

you obviously can't remember what it was like to be 20, or your own kids are not that old.

My daughter - now 27 - makes me proud. She did when she was 20, but at the same time she also did some galactically stupid and abnoxious things at that age. The kids of my wife's best friends are transitioning through their late teens and early 20s. Loverly kids - the the most part - but also prone to complete brain farts along the way. With that in mind, Nick Kyrios's 'bad behaviour' seems pretty tame ...

Not really, Kyrgios is a wanker AND Fraser is a racist.

• Like 1