Sign in to follow this  
Cottoneyes

NBA

Reinforces all my theories about watching NBA games is a waste of time.

I watched half of Game 1 plus a bit more in the 3rd quarter. When I was free to watch Game 2, the score was 89-64, with James on the bench.

Will see Game 3 looking for Cavs improvement at home. Or the Warriors do the typical easy game to take the series back home and win it there?

Saw the Bogut interview after game 2.

He acknowledged it's a potential danger game, because they're coming off a good win, going back to Cleveland etc.

I would imagine they want to finish it ASAP.

Don't give Bron a chance to do something wonderful.

Saw the Bogut interview after game 2.

He acknowledged it's a potential danger game, because they're coming off a good win, going back to Cleveland etc.

I would imagine they want to finish it ASAP.

Don't give Bron a chance to do something wonderful.

I'm back watching (welp), but really the Dubs played so poorly here virtually conceding the win to

James and Irving.

Friday will be worth a look, the pivotal game in the series, if the Cavs win it's game on from there.

GSW to try and wrap it up today without Green.

Iguodala the obvious one to get more minutes, probably Bogut and Varejao (did some good stuff in 3rd quarter of last game) will also play more.

GSW to try and wrap it up today without Green.

Still don't get that - Green gets kicked in the groin and no action, Green takes a swipe in the groin direction and gets a suspension

Commissioner influencing the series much?

Green does a few silly things but nothing worth missing an NBA Finals series game for.

The Tech and Flagrant fouls count should reset before this series rather then count the whole post-season.

Yeah, if Draymond hadn't kicked Adams square in the nuts "accidentally", it wouldn't be an issue.

Reset techs before the series is a good idea Riddos.

Well Damn.

LeBron/Kyrie out of this world tonight.

Bogut gone.

Cavs should win at home.

Game 7 coming up I reckon.

Cavs just need to stay connected and by that right up on curry, maybe less on thompson, but probably, curry is not great going to the hoop, thompson better, saty connected do not allow the three and rely on the help rotations.

Force warriors to beat you doing something different. Warriors cannot guard James, irving when he plays smart like tonight cannot be guarded either. Curry is a bad defender

Still don't get that - Green gets kicked in the groin and no action, Green takes a swipe in the groin direction and gets a suspension

Commissioner influencing the series much?

Not directly but they do exert some influence in trying to ensure the series doesn't fizzle out.

But in a Game 6, 3-2 situation, there will be no interference. No suspensions from here on unless

it's something blatant.

James was played one on one quite a bit in the 3rd and 4th quarters. With Irving hitting his

shots they almost had to do that.

But now we have a good series going and continuing to watch.

Getting cynical again. The entire NBA season comes down to 3-4 watchable games. The rest

is entertainment and I really don't have the time to watch games just for that.

Love James, loved the block on Thompson under the basket, where he made a player of similar

height look like a midget.

Steph & Kerr fined $25k each.

They'd take that any day of the year I'd say.

Game 7, GSW need to keep TT off the boards and find a way to stop/slow Kyrie.

LeBron will get his, but strangle the support and it's hard for him to win on his own.

Cavs get it done, won't be anyone at work in Cleveland tomorrow.

Love with a big defensive play on Curry with 30 seconds to go.

LBJ for Finals MVP, probably would have deserved it even if GSW won.

Delly gets a ring,

Edited by Riddos

Tears flowing all round.

As Le Bron had to get up after the hyperextension of his left knee and make 1-2 free throws.

EDIT: I'm told it's his arm....I thought on replay it was a hyperextension of the knee.

Edited by Kamal2

NFL the Browns, they won titles in the 60's with Otto Graham QB and Paul Brown the owner as coach. The franchise, later the Ravens has won 2 more Super Bowls.

MLB the Indians. 1948 with player manager Lou Boudrea and Rapid Robert Feller, HOF pitcher.

There is no doubt in my mind that Le Bron James is the best to ever put on a pair

of Nike/Adidas/Converse. He's 32 years old, he has 3 NBA championships and how many MVP's and he delivers a championship to his hometown. He had help but he was virtually coaching the team on the floor. Not only that, after a horrible fall, where most players would stay down and leave the court. He takes a few deep breaths and makes 1/2 from the line to ensure the win, 4 points up 10.2 secs to play a 3 doesn't do anything. Then he's weeping, sobbing uncontrollably as were most of the people watching, Misty eyed we were over here. Let the detractors report here.

Edited by Kamal2

Let's start the refute by saying that MJ and Kobe had 6 Championships, Bill Russell and co., 9.

And I am fully aware of that.

That could be a good argument, but you haven't presented any.

"By a longshot", is going to be hard to prove.

Especially notably his output in playoff games

He did score big points.

How about triple doubles and blocked shots (in post season play? And James has not yet finished his

career.

Almost impossible to compare the 2, I think.

But, both put the team on their back when it mattered.

Both also had help from trusted sidekicks and role players.

Both top 3 in the last 20 years.

That could be a good argument, but you haven't presented any.

"By a longshot", is going to be hard to prove.

michael_jordan_6_rings_nba_2k12.jpg?w=30

But if that was the argument Peter, then it would be (in the modern era at least), Jordan, Pippen ... James .... Rodman...

Under 3 days now until the draft. Looking more and more likely that Simmons is going to go to Philly, with some commentators stating the 'family' relationship between Brown and Simmons from Simmons snr time in Melbourne will be enough to keep him happy. Personally can't see him staying in Philly beyond 2 years and will be requesting trade to Lakers so might be better for them to pick Ingram

Thon Maker is another Aussie looking possible for lower picks of round 1, high round 2 at the least

I remember when Igoudala was the new Answer in Philly.

Don't know if I had a choice that I'd be happy to got here.

Then again, going to the current Lakers wouldn't exactly be a piece of cake either.

Will be interesting to see how the draft goes, short and longer term.

Ingram the plug and play, would instantly improve any team in the league, option.

Simmons with the higher long term upside but will need a team built around his style and there's a few question marks around attitude.

He did score big points.

How about triple doubles and blocked shots (in post season play? And James has not yet finished his

career.

More http://www.therichest.com/sports/basketball-sports/10-players-with-the-most-triple-doubles-in-nba-history/

MJ still not bad considering he is shoot first and the best first option of all time, why pass when you are MJ

triple doubles intersting stat but nobody is calling fat lever one of the greatest of all time

[/quote}

But Oscar Robertson did carry that lable for a while. Averaged a triple double across an entire

season, 1960-61.

I don't know what you are arguing here Barry. No one has said Jordan was not a great player. The

link you have provided seems to indicate you think points scored is a sole indicator of greatness.

Jordan has 32,292 career points, James 26,833. And James career is still running.

Edited by Kamal2

triple doubles intersting stat but nobody is calling fat lever one of the greatest of all time

[/quote}

But Oscar Robertson did carry that lable for a while. Averaged a triple double across an entire

season, 1960-61.

I don't know what you are arguing here Barry. No one has said Jordan was not a great player. The

link you have provided seems to indicate you think points scored is a sole indicator of greatness.

Jordan has 32,292 career points, James 26,833. And James career is still running.

MJ is the best of all time, the table is not about pure points, it is about how they are scored, rising to the occasion. Number of time in a play off game MJ just won it himself is shown in the stats, number of playoff games 40 or more

points does not tell the story for LBJ either when compared to MJ, he will play more games and has played more games for the same time in the league, no college time and MJ stint in baseball.

Can't comment on the Big O, but his stat line is awesome. case is for MJ. Having said that last play offs and this season LBJ was brilliant and played like an all time great. The championshps at Miami you can't say that. In his first stints at the cavs he was also in that mould. I know he won at the heat but those years won't be the ones he cherishes, this year will be the one that matters to him

A couple of good pre-draft reads,

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/21/nba-draft-rankings-prospects-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram

and

http://www.campusrush.com/2016-nba-draft-scouting-reports-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram-1872857167.html

Interested to see where Gary Paton II ends up.

Ben Simmons, 6'10" freshman forward, LSU: "I would take him first. He's a transcendent player because of his size and his ability to play multiple positions. Shooting is a concern, but that kind of size and skill set doesn't come along very often. There were a lot of things going on with his teammates at LSU. There's no denying he has a big sense of self-entitlement. He's got an aloofness to him that is concerning. The LSU thing was just a s--- show. There was too much allowed to happen. You had a film crew following him around all year. Whatever the concerns, he had one of the most successful college seasons we've seen in recent years. You wonder if he ends up like [Knicks forward] Carmelo Anthony, someone who's a great player but not a winning player."

Thon Maker, 7'1" center, Australia/Sudan: "Enigma. You're going to have to deal with the people that are around him who have controlled his life the last year so he didn't compete much at all. I've only seen him work out once and seen him practice twice at Hoop Summit and play in the games there. We're not allowed in high school gyms so I couldn't see him more than that. He's not gonna get super strong because he's got a tiny waist. He can handle a bit, he's not a bad shooter. I know his life has been dysfunctional, but I hear he's a terrific kid. I saw him in the New York workout, and he was more impressive than I thought he would be. He could be a great player down the line."

Knicks trade for Derrick Rose, at least we are finding new and interesting ways to be rubbish.

More excited about the 2017 2nd round draft pick that is part of the deal.

Another trade overnight likely to see Dante Exxum relegated to off the bench player next season instead of a starter

If Knicks are after Dwight, they will probably get him. Not many other teams are going to look at him with the reported max contract he is seeking after his last few seasons

Not many other teams are going to look at him with the reported max contract he is seeking after his last few seasons

Surely he realises he's not a max guy anymore?

Probably not since before he went to the Lakers.

He's walking away from a $21.6 million (US) 1 year player option, I don't think he is going to be wanting to take anything less than that with a bump which is going to put him pretty close to max

Sixers GM suggesting if they take Simmons at 1st pick they'll look to trade a few of their other young talls to move back up in the draft and pick up a few shooters to play around him.

As I have pointed out before, attended HS in the USA. He is an Aussie, but his basketball

pedigree is pure American.

He's still 19. Will enter the NBA shortly after turning 20. I imagine it will be a rough go,

playing with not much support in his first year.

If he keeps his head together and accepts a few losing seasons, he can be in the mould of Dirk

Nowitski. I hope that, but I don't want to consider the alternatives if he can't take the pressure.

Considering playing style Dirk (heading to free-agency I see) is one of the best big man shooters the game has seen while Simmons is all about getting to the rim or draw and pass.

But yeah he'd take that level of success and longevity.

As I have pointed out before, attended HS in the USA. He is an Aussie, but his basketball

pedigree is pure American.

He's still 19. Will enter the NBA shortly after turning 20. I imagine it will be a rough go,

playing with not much support in his first year.

If he keeps his head together and accepts a few losing seasons, he can be in the mould of Dirk

Nowitski. I hope that, but I don't want to consider the alternatives if he can't take the pressure.

Once again you are completely erroneous, total BS easily corrected by a simple google search. He grew up in Newcastle and Melbourne. He played Rugby League, Basketball and AFL. He went to the AIS on a basketball scholarship and played Australian u/17's at world champs as a 15 year old. He then moved to the states to play HS ball for 2 years before getting a college scholarship.

In a similar vein, keep an eye on Shire kid Isaac Humphries, freshman at Kentucky. Big 7'0' kid who has followed the exact same pathway. He could declare in next years draft.