Just thought I'd start a new thread for this year's edition of Le Tour. Don't forget to get your entries in for the Velogames tipping comp.

Website is http://www.velogames.com/

League details are:

League Name: Transitions
League Code: 26140412

It's simple to enter. Just sign up (free) and pick 9 riders with a value of 100 points or less. Then just join the Transitions League, sit back & see how your team perform. Lots of fun, and interesing to boot.

I thought I'd also add, any who have already picked their teams should go back & check that all the riders are still starting the tour. I just checked mine & there are 2 withdrawals.

An interesting article for those tech heads and stats buffs.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/news/aso-to-deliver-real-time-data-from-tour-riders_375648

Working with ASO, in partnership with the 22 teams participating in the 2015 Tour de France, Dimension Data says it will offer highly accurate data through the use of live trackers, mounted under the saddle of each rider. Dimension Data will then process and analyze the data, and make it available to cycling fans, commentators, broadcasters, and the media.

When the Tour de France begins Saturday, the viewing public around the world will be able to follow all 198 riders in 22 teams real-time, and be able to track the speed at which each cyclist is riding, exactly where he’s positioned in the race in relation to other cyclists, and the distance between each rider — all via a beta live-tracking website.

The real-time analytics system will take the data provided by a third-party geo-localization transmission component, undertake data cleansing and analysis, and provide access to this data as both a real-time data stream, and a historical archive.

All data analyzed will be available through a beta live-tracking website. This allows fans to select their favorite rider to follow, monitor the race on their phone or tablet while they watch it live on the television, and gain access to additional data insights. The 198 riders in 22 teams will generate 42,000 geospatial points and 75 million GPS readings. In addition, the live-tracking website is built to support 17 million viewers and 2,000 page requests per second.

Heading over next weeks

I will make my way to .Alpe d'Huez . stage from Grenoble. anybody else going to be there? :smile1::smile1::smile1:

An interesting article for those tech heads and stats buffs.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/news/aso-to-deliver-real-time-data-from-tour-riders_375648

It's a nice thought, maybe a little over ambitious. I will be impressed if it works as well as claimed for half the riders half the time. As for 17 million people accessing the data live without interruption for an entire stage... Bahahahaha!

At the very least some of the riders will likely have "technical issues" for some stages. I can imagine the team managers watching the live data of certain riders from other teams in order to plan attacks when they are at isolated or at the back if the bunch. Imagine if they included the team cars in the data as well, some prolonged drafting may become evident and a little embarrassing.

I will make my way to .Alpe d'Huez . stage from Grenoble. anybody else going to be there? :smile1::smile1::smile1:

It should be an awesome stage. If there are still a couple of the big boys in contention at that point it'll be a thriller, especially having it as the last stage before the Champs-Elysees. It's just a pity the Col du Galibier has been dropped from that stage.

It should be an awesome stage. If there are still a couple of the big boys in contention at that point it'll be a thriller, especially having it as the last stage before the Champs-Elysees. It's just a pity the Col du Galibier has been dropped from that stage.

Hi EH,

I hadn't heard of the Col du Galibier being dropped and I was looking forward to this stage. Why was it dropped?

Cheers

NSF

There was a landslide earlier this year, and while it wasn't on the col, it's still blocking the access between the col & the alp. They've replaced it with a 2nd clinb of another HC climb, Col de la Croix de Fer, but from a different route than the day before.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2015/6/25/8845523/col-du-galibier-eliminated-from-alpe-dhuez-tour-stage

Feels like it is going to be a really open year this year.

All the major contenders have questions marks about their form leading in, except maybe Quintana?

All the major contenders have questions marks about their form leading in, except maybe Quintana?

I've got some cash on Quintana this year....

As you say though.... wide open.

The back end of the tour this year is really a race for the climbers.... but the first week could really shake things up. With a few days of cobbled and narrow sections the race might really be decided early on (if there are accidents and such).

Will teams be tryign to survive the cobbles unscathed? Or going hard to try and get an advantage before the TTT and mountains?

Should be awesome!!

(in a side note, my wife invited friends around for dinner on Saturday night - I reminded her yesterday that the Tour kicks off 9.30pm Sat evening and all guests will have to be either gone by then or remain silent ..... Dinner is now Friday night!!)

• Like 1

Just thought I'd start a new thread for this year's edition of Le Tour. Don't forget to get your entries in for the Velogames tipping comp.

Website is http://www.velogames.com/

League details are:

League Name: Transitions

League Code: 26140412

It's simple to enter. Just sign up (free) and pick 9 riders with a value of 100 points or less. Then just join the Transitions League, sit back & see how your team perform. Lots of fun, and interesing to boot.

In.

My team hopes Froome doesn't win.

I watched the Route du Sud last week. Get on to Steephill and watch the final climb on stage 3. Contador makes 4 or five short bursts attempting to blow Quintana, who seems to have now issue staying with him. What did suprise me though was Contador gapping the other 4 riders that went over the top either with or just behind him on the 20m descent, just 1 week before the Tour. Bit risky in my mind.

Well, my team is in.

Went pretty blind again. When does it lock off? I may go back in tomorrow and make some changes.

Hi EH,

I hadn't heard of the Col du Galibier being dropped and I was looking forward to this stage. Why was it dropped?

Cheers

NSF

The tunnel just above the dam near le Freney is damaged so there is no access to Bourg d'Oisans from le Galibier. La Marmotte is on Saturday and the course has been changed regrettably. This year they will do the Glandon, Lacets of Montvernier, Col du Molland, Col de la Croix de Fer, descend to Bourg d'Oisans and finish on Alps d'Huez.

Businesses along the Romanche valley rd are suffering as the tourists can't get through.

Team Tally Ho are in but we have relocated from Moldova to Trinidad and Tobago :)

• Like 1

I'm in, but not holding out much hope - names I recognise, but as for form, I'm clueless - Peddlers for Pints are clipped-in and ready to roll!

I'm in, but not holding out much hope - names I recognise, but as for form, I'm clueless - Peddlers for Pints are clipped-in and ready to roll!

I'm in too.

I've named my team the 'Pants Legstrong EPO Machine' in honour of Lance Armstrong riding a few stages of the tour this year for Charity ...

Apprently he has signed up with some cancer charity who ride each stage a day before the tour comes through...

Got Mr Moto ready and my bags of blood are cooling in the fridge....

• Like 1

Now that the Super Ruby tipping is finishing up I've joined as well.

Absolutely no idea what I'm doing but that seemed to work for the winner in my Super Rugby tipping comp.

There's a Froome and Porte special on SBS2 atm. I'm getting excited, and so are my Krankers.

How Astana are even in the tour at all is a joke, that they're still cheats.. no surprises. I'm over professional cycling.

• Like 1

Gabriel going with the Gouda.

We were trying to work out what Dutch food he was highlighting tonight.

Seafood tomorrow in Zealand.

An aussie in the yellow jersey how awesome is that.

Even better is I won $150 on Dennis getting the win. Take mrs Kenneth out on the town or bike stuff? She doesn't known I placed the bet...

• Like 1

I miss Trev :(

I don't watch much of it, but his reports and the ensuing discussions within the threads made me feel like I had.

• Like 3

I was thinking the same thing last night Goughy. Trev's previews were as good, if not better than anything out there on mainstream media.

Anyone know why the Treks had flashing tail lights?

Cause they were going backwards. New initiative for safe cycling.
  • Like 1

Cheating bastard Sagan. There is no way he bridged that gap legally after a puncture.

He certainly is a brilliant rider. To bridge back to the front group all on his own after puncturing, and then taking 2nd in the sprint, when 2 of the stronger teams just kept losing time for their GC contender captains. With only 24 riders up front I can't imagine the trail of team cars was that long that it was a case of legally jumping from 1 to the next.

I certainly hope Martin & the rest of Cav's team are giving him a fair old blast after last night's performance. The work they put in to give him the opportunity he had was tremendous, and then as soon as he wasn't going to win, he sat up and rolled home. If he'd put in 2sec more effort, or even just lunged for the line, he would have taken 3rd. Martin would have been in yellow, possibly for most of the week.

neutralising the race after that crash was silly. Surely those guys who put in the effort to break away deserve some recognition for their efforts. if it was a Domestique then the race would have gone ahead and nothing ever said.

Crap official-ling stuffing it for us uneducated cycling fans.