Sign in to follow this  
-H-

Aussie Champs 2015/16

Gee the National Champs this year look a bit NSW/Qld centric?

Sprint - Robina Qld

Oly/Standard - Wollongong NSW

Long Course - Goondiwindi Qld

Aquathon - Cronulla NSW

Cross Tri - Lake Crackenback NSW

• Like 1

I was just going to post something about the National Calendar and make a few observations.

Obviously, we're very happy to be added as a qualifier for Long Course and it's great to see Hell of the West get the National Championships.

Couple of interesting things in the 7 long course races.

1. No NSW race included.

2. 5 of the 7 races are organised by triathlon clubs which is awesome.

3. Ironman Geelong is included. Don't Ironman have their own WC?

Standard distance.

1. Two races in Adelaide a month apart, Glenelg and Victor Harbor.

2. Kingscliff is listed as March 2016. I thought their race was in November? Or are there two Kingscliff OD races?

Sprint distance.

1. How many of these races are going to be draft legal or offer a draft legal wave?

I think that's confused me before. So it's the March one that's a qualifier.

When is the Tweed Coast Enduro next year? That was March this year.

Sprint distance.

1. How many of these races are going to be draft legal or offer a draft legal wave?

Down the bottom of the list of races it says this:

DRAFT LEGAL QUALIFYING RACES RACE 9: TBC Date: TBC

Organiser: TBC

Organiser: 100% Events

Website >>

Down the bottom of the list of races it says this:

DRAFT LEGAL QUALIFYING RACES RACE 9: TBC Date: TBC

Organiser: TBC

Organiser: 100% Events

Website >>

Okay. I'm pretty sure they weren't there this morning.

Anyway, looks like they're working to get someone else to put a draft legal race on.

Just read through the new rules and note para 3.14 regarding bike configuration in particular handlebars.

Given that the majority of age group athletes have TT bikes with one piece aero bars and bar end shifters etc, how many of those will have the cash or desire to buy a road bike to conform to the ITU rules for bikes or go to the effort to change their aero bars to normal drops bars.

Second point, an age grouper with a TT bike can currently race sprint races, Olympic distance races, 70.3 and ironman. To race and qualify for the ITU draft legal world champs, an age grouper would use their roady for 2 possibly 3 races. I estimate that 70% of the age groupers in the sport have and can only afford one bike.

Is this the second division point in our sport? Like the draft free and draft legal battles of the 1990s for professionals, is this where the sport of triathlon separates further.

Where do you think the sport will end up in the next few years?

I estimate that 70% of the age groupers in the sport have and can only afford one bike.

I estimate that your estimate is well off the mark.

Road bike with shorty aero bars has been standard draft legal equipment for yonks.

The issue in most cases is that people who own both a road and TT bike are one size bigger on the roadie, making it harder to get in a reasonable TT position.

If you ever needed another excuse to buy another bike, look no further.

I estimate that your estimate is well off the mark.

Road bike with shorty aero bars has been standard draft legal equipment for yonks.

True. But I'm sure there are plenty like me who have a TT as their "good" bike and a crappy old roadie for group rides and the like.

No way would I get a new roadie to do stoopid draft legal tris. If that's what I was into I would join a cycling club and race their events.

True. But I'm sure there are plenty like me who have a TT as their "good" bike and a crappy old roadie for group rides and the like.

No way would I get a new roadie to do stoopid draft legal tris. If that's what I was into I would join a cycling club and race their events.

You should join a cycle club and race some of their events.

Rog, I don't know what you based your theory of bikes on.

I think most people fall into the category Ozzybuds outlined. I know I do. I won't be buying a new roadie just for draft legal ITU age group type races.

Maybe I didn't make my points clear enough, but to me this has all the same feeling as the drafting / non drafting debate that went on during the early 1990's. That split the sport down the middle.

The issue in most cases is that people who own both a road and TT bike are one size bigger on the roadie, making it harder to get in a reasonable TT position.

If you ever needed another excuse to buy another bike, look no further.

I just did. Bought me a Merida Reacto 7000 frame, forks & seatpost warranty replacement. With other parts near new, Ultegra 11 speed, $1,600. Boom!