trifun

TA auto renewal

A little note I just sent to TQ/TA

"

Dear Tri Qld

You know what?

Don’t Auto bill me.

Not until that “Active” link actually works so I can check out what details they have on me.

Thanks

Ron A

From: Triathlon QLD Membership [mailto:admin@triathlonqld.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 23 June 2015 3:12 PM
To: ron@a.........
Subject: Your Triathlon QLD Membership Renewal is coming up

Dear Ron,
Your 2014-2015 QLD Membership membership will automatically renew on Jun 30 2015 along with your Triathlon Australia membership.
We strongly encourage you to log into your membership portal to ensure that your profile details are correct, and make any necessary updates.
If you would like to make any changes to your membership, pay using a different credit card, or join using a coupon code then you should opt out of automatic renewal via your membership portal. You will then be able to select the 'Renew Membership' link in your portal and manually renew your membership for the 2015-2016. Once you have manually renewed, you are able to turn automatic renewal back on for the future.

PS: telling people what browser to use to view your site is so '90s

Alternatively if you no longer intend to join us for the 2015-2016 season then you should opt out of automatic renewal.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Accessing your membership portal
There is temporarily a compatibility issue with the member portal on all Safari browsers and some smart devices (e.g. smart phones and tablets). It is recommended that you use the latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer as your internet browser on a PC to log into your portal. If you continue to experience difficulties please contact us. We apologise for the inconvenience.
To access your member portal, go to the Triathlon Australia website and select 'Manage your Membership' >>
Please visit the Triathlon Australia website for useful information and FAQ’s about membership and renewals >>
If you have any questions, then please don’t hesitate to contact us on admin@triathlonqld.com.au or 07 3369 9600.
Sincerely,
Triathlon QLD Membership

This email was sent to ron@a........net by
Triathlon QLD Membership
Suite 2.04 Sports House, 150 Caxton Street, Milton, QLD, 4064 Australia

"

Edited by trifun

That link is really bad. I had no luck working it either. I gave up and just went old school and phoned them to renew.

Yeah, I've had people ringing, emailing me and even face booking me that want to join Sutherland Shire Triathlon Club at only $15 (note that really well, that is a shameless plug) and can't because of the system and it not workng as per the TA/ TriNSW advice that it doesn't work properly and not at all on some devices/ software.

Told them to contact TriNSW and also flicked an email on tonight.

I dunno how it unfolds when people want refunds,noting their refund policy and you could only access from certain browsers and not on Apple. We even had some that couldn't access it on PC. I know I couldn't shut down my auto renew from London as only had Apple devices, had to wait to I came back to Australia.

Had some members of a club come up to me in jb hi fi at Taren point too, nobody had told them until I shared the club president email images on facebook as instructed to share it by TriNSW and they couldn't remember 12 months ago and are pregnant so won't be doing the sport and don't want to rejoin. Dunno what happens if a pregnant lady asks for a refund noting the refund policy.

It reads hard. Guess you refund the pregnant but then I'd turn of Auto renew and put the customer before automatically renewing members. If the product is good enough, they will renew and you gotta back your product.

Can see an admin nightmare for the sport with the sick, the injured, the changed banks, the changed credit cards, the expired cards, the different email used, the changed clubs - did I tell you Sutherland Shire Triathlon Club is only $15. That's another shameless plug.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Got this email today from someone wanting to join Sutherland Shire Triathlon Club at only $15, that is another shameless plug

------

The Active Portal they are using is pretty shit, I cant edit anything at moment, guess I have to wait till 1st July and change the club then.

-------

There is someone feeling they have to rejoin a club they don't want too, then trying to swap after July 1. I referred it to TriNSW to fix.

I hope they sort it, it's not fair on the office staff at triathlon let alone the member in my opinion.

Easy solution noting the issues, is just to turn if off.... That of course assumes they can and maybe they can't.

Nothing like a manual work around in the year 2015.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

That's the refund policy on the Bottom of the ta membership page.

Refund Policy

Triathlon Australia Membership fees once paid and processed, are not refundable other than in exceptional circumstances. Applications for refund must be made in writing to the relevant STTA Executive Officer, setting out the exceptional circumstances claimed. All applications will be considered by the Executive Officer on a case-by-case basis and the Executive Officer’s decision on each case will be final. General injury from triathlon training and racing is not considered exceptional circumstances. Refund of membership fees will incur an administrative fee of $20.00 (inclusive GST), which will be deducted before membership fees are refunded.

When I set the club details up on TAs page,I set the auto renewal to off so none of our club members should be getting auto renewal notices.

I have three emails saying my membership is set to expire, a TA one, a TQ one and a club one. My wife has received three saying her membership is set to auto renew! Our problem is the credit card used last year doesn't exist any more and I'm not in a position to fork over $320 in the next week or two for our memberships. I want to pay the membership when I can better afford it.

Auto renewal sucks arse.

• Like 1

I got 3 emails about auto-renew (TA, state and club), and how my membership was about to expire.

I went in and turned my auto-renew off as I am only doing one tri in the upcoming FY and didn't think it was worth it.

Worked well for me - but then it seems I might be in the minority!

If I decide to join again, (probably 2016/17) I will look around for a different club. Not that I "don't like" my club, but I don't get anything from a club membership, so may as well join the cheapest I can find that gets me the TA club membership discount.

I think I'm in the minority.

I read the online form I filled out last year when joining and unticked the "auto renew" box.

Did no one notice or read it when they joined last year?

Interesting.

I've just gone back in to check the club's auto renew settings and it has been over ridden by TA so that auto renew is now locked on. So it would appear it is now totally up to the member to choose auto renew or not.

Interesting.

I've just gone back in to check the club's auto renew settings and it has been over ridden by TA so that auto renew is now locked on. So it would appear it is now totally up to the member to choose auto renew or not.

When I went in to turn mine off, all 3 levels of membership were there - with options to turn off the auto-renew for club, state or TA. And a note that if you turned off the auto-renew at the TA level it would automatically turn all the other levels off too.

Related question - if you have no need to belong to a club in close geographical proximity, are there benefits of certain States over others?

My most recent year I joined an Adelaide club and thus TriSA (with a Vic address).

Was funny at Batemans Bay when they called me as a member of ATC. Didn't click for a second.

I'm also thinking about changing clubs and rejoining TA as a member of an interstate club. I'm currently a member of MPTC as my local club here but don't train with them at all, really only joined for the TA discount.

I'm a life member of my old SA club - would there be a problem if I am a member of a SA club but live in Vic? I assume I would then be a member of TriSA instead of TriVic. May make a difference for state champs I guess, which doesn't bother me too much.... any other issues?

The whole Life Member situation creates more issues.

Our club has 6 life members, but for them to be listed as a club member they obviously have to take out TA membership. Of our 6 life members, two race regularly in our club series and do a few other races, the remaining 4 either don't race at all or dust off their bikes once or twice a year for Noosa/Mooloolaba etc. So they really have no need to take out TA membership, so don't go through the process, and as a result, don't show up on our membership database.

Just doesn't seem right to me.

The whole Life Member situation creates more issues.

Our club has 6 life members, but for them to be listed as a club member they obviously have to take out TA membership. Of our 6 life members, two race regularly in our club series and do a few other races, the remaining 4 either don't race at all or dust off their bikes once or twice a year for Noosa/Mooloolaba etc. So they really have no need to take out TA membership, so don't go through the process, and as a result, don't show up on our membership database.

Just doesn't seem right to me.

change your membership database to financial members

life membership is a seperate thing and an honour thing at a club. like everything else its up to them if they wish to join TA and race. The honour part of it wont change, they will still be life members at the club

change your membership database to financial members

life membership is a seperate thing and an honour thing at a club. like everything else its up to them if they wish to join TA and race. The honour part of it wont change, they will still be life members at the club

We can't do anything with the database. It's TA's database, not ours. I can't even send a broadcast email to club members from Active.

Which forces you into duplication of effort, just the thing that volunteer club officials want in their lives.

I'm also thinking about changing clubs and rejoining TA as a member of an interstate club. I'm currently a member of MPTC as my local club here but don't train with them at all, really only joined for the TA discount.

I'm a life member of my old SA club - would there be a problem if I am a member of a SA club but live in Vic? I assume I would then be a member of TriSA instead of TriVic. May make a difference for state champs I guess, which doesn't bother me too much.... any other issues?

I have a Vic address, and am a "member" of the Adelaide Tri Club and thus TriSA. No problems.

I get all the club emails but have never done a race or seen them.

I did it all online when I joined TA - just picked a club from the list!

Might go Qld next time...... tropical change?

(but not rejoining for 2016/17 as only doing one tri so it's not financially beneficial.)

We can't do anything with the database. It's TA's database, not ours. I can't even send a broadcast email to club members from Active.

that setup sounds quite sub standard

I tried to renew then - I turned off my auto renewal (credit card has changed). Didn't work.

I remember TriNSW promised us an online accounting system some time ago, not sure if it has been delivered. Glad I went elsewhere, would not want to be running the books on something they deem operational!

Back in August I received an offer from someone who wanted me to pass it on exclusively to our members. Under Active's Regonline system, which we still use for all our club race, this is a very simple process. I just create an email and select which database I want to send it to.

This function does not exist with the Active Works system, which is what TA use and what Active wanted us to switch to. I sent them an email asking how I go about emailing our membership and this is the response I received:

Hi Nick,

Thank you for contacting ACTIVE Works® Membership Manager Support.

At this time, there isn't a feature to send a broadcast email to users who have purchased a membership through your membership organization. However, as the product is currently in beta mode, we have passed the feature request onto the Product team for their review.

Please contact us if you require further assistance.

Sincerely,

Now, something jumped out at me straight away. Beta mode? They're kidding right? This is the system being used by the national body for the management of thousands of members and it's in beta mode? And they didn't even think to include a basic function that already existed and worked perfectly well in a previous product of theirs?

I am just about to start building entries for our next season of races and have the Hundy entry form ready to go live on 1st July. I'm sticking with Regonline. They can keep ActiveWorks.

From what people are saying, there are obviously a lot of problems with the system. It seemed to work fine for me (and I'm usually pretty good at finding the weaknesses in these things).

For what it's worth, I actually think the auto-renewal is a good idea. As background (at a little distance, so I'm reporting what I've heard/ been told) I understand that a significant impetus for this was the case of a rider in Brisbane having a life-changing accident on a group ride just a few days after her TA membership had expired. I can't comment on the outcome of that particular case, but I do know that it made a few people very conscious of what might happen on a club-organised training session if someone involved was not a current TA member.

I'm planning to join a few club rides in July, and the auto-renewal scheme should increase the chances that everyone in the group has insurance. That reduces the risk for me, the ride leaders, the coach, the club, and TQ. Without it, there's a good chance that no-one would bother to renew their membership before Sunny Coast 70.3 or Noosa or whenever they are racing next.

(Having said that, I think Cycling Australia membership provides better coverage in terms of a bike accident anywhere other than in a triathlon race).

So, I think auto-renewal is a good idea. It's a pity that it seems to have been poorly executed.

Will the training insurance coverage only respond in the event of an incident during a group/organised ride, or any time you're out training, solo or otherwise?

Nealo, yep, you are a freak.

Sutherland Shire Tri Club will gladly take any member as per this thread that does nothing with their current club and doesn't want to rejoin. We are only $15. If however, you want to stay with your current club, do so, we think that's fantastic too.

Cheers and yes, this was another shameless plug.

Will the training insurance coverage only respond in the event of an incident during a group/organised ride, or any time you're out training, solo or otherwise?

covered me riding with one other person in organised training session.

Check the T & c each year though, things change.

A member of our club put this together the other day, may or may not help.

Ive looked at the policies and costs of all three and if people are interested heres a summary of the key differences:

Wiggle:

$30-$60 per year

· Does not cover riding in a group only when riding individually

· Max claim is $2000 or bicycles market value -$250 excess

Bicycle NSW: (V-Insurance Group)

$109/year

· Same insurer as TriNSW

· Excess is $750 and they have quite an extensive list of the amounts covered for death or permanent injury

· Non-medical injury expenses up to $5000 per injury for up to 52 weeks following injury

· 85% of income up to $800/week for 104 weeks from the date of injury

Tri NSW:

$125/year

· Same as BicycleNSW

· Excess is $1000 and maximum amount for death or permanent injury is $50k and I assume the categories are the same as BNSW

· Non-medical injury expenses up to $3000 per injury for up to 52 weeks following injury

· 100% of income up to $400/week for 52 weeks from the date of injury

Sutherland Shire Tri Club will gladly take any member as per this thread that does nothing with their current club and doesn't want to rejoin. We are only $15. If however, you want to stay with your current club, do so, we think that's fantastic too.

Shameless plug notwithstanding.......

Say I don't want to bother joining TA, so I join your new club for $15. Whats in it for me?

(I got a bit lost with your original thread and all the details).

Insurance comparisons (focusing on what activities you are covered during, rather than the extent of coverage):

This is coverage for Public Liability, Professional Indemnity, and Personal Accident NOT for Bicycles and associated equipment or Personal Property

Triathlon Australia Insurance Program

V Insurance Group

Scope of Cover:

(A) Whilst training for or competing in an officially sanctioned events organised by and under the control of the insured including direct travel to and from sanctioned competitions, training venues and Insured Person’s place of residence.

(B) Whilst training for or competing in an officially sanctioned event organised by and under the control of the Insured including direct travel to and from sanctioned competitions, training venues and Insured person’s place of residence. Cover does not extend to include “racing – participation” in non-triathlon sporting events.

© Whilst working on behalf of the Insured including direct travel to and from sanctioned competitions, training venues and Insured person’s place of residence.

(D) Whilst participating in sanctioned events.

As I read it, this is no help if you commute to work by bike or even if you ride from work to the pool for training. If you train solo, or informally with a group of friends (who might not do tris) you're probably also not covered. Or most other circumstances in which I ride - other than an actual race or very specific club training session.

Bicycle Queensland Member Insurance Program (or your equivalent state body)

V-Insurance is the insurance broker for Bicycle Queensland (BQ) and has worked closely with BQ to design this insurance program for members. This insurance cover applies when members are riding their bike on a 24/7 basis, including commuting to work, on a training ride or participating in an organised cycling event (excluding a race), and travel to and from these activities.

So, basically covers you for personal accident while riding your bike anywhere other than a race.

$90 for an individual, or $125 for family membership (makes it good value for families, but not so much for individuals)

Cycling Australia

The insurance cover for Cycling Australia & MTBA members, provided by Aon Insurance, will cover you 24/7 on the bike and includes personal accident, public liability & loss of income benefits.

This insurance cover applies 24/7 when members and other insured persons/entities are involved in cycling and mountain bike specific activities including races and all events, trail building activities, organised training, individual training, commuting, fundraising activities and travel to and from these activities.

Policy summary here: http://aon.com.au/australia/association-insurance/cycling-australia.jsp

You can get recreational (non-racing) membership.

eg. Audax Australia Cycling Club membership entitles members to a Cycling Australia (CA) Silver Ride (recreational) licence. That costs $70 for the year. There are also discounts for 3 year memberships, and for family memberships.

I wouldn't be relying on TA membership to cover my cycling habits - which include commuting, shopping, long distance events, mountain biking, solo and with assorted non-triathlon riff-raff :-)

So, I have CA recreational membership though Audax which covers me for pretty much all my riding, other than racing tris where my TA membership comes in.

If I didn't have that, I'd consider BQ membership (although I have some other philosophical objections to paying BQ membership).

Hmmm.....I was only planning on renewing this year for the insurance as I'm not doing much racing for a while. Might be time to look at other options.

Thanks all.

I think as long as you have entered a race in the future you can claim you're training for that if anything was to happen on your bike.

Both my Wife and I have had to access the insurance component of our membership the past 6 months one for injury at Western Sydney 70.3 (me) and a training accident that happened when my Wife was running and is still ongoing. Although the returns are minimal we have not had an issue with the process.

Edited by Flashgaza
  • Like 1

I think as long as you have entered a race in the future you can claim you're training for that if anything was to happen on your bike.

That was what I was thinking. I have entered Mandurah so I expected it would be covered if I was training. However, a lot of my 'training' is also part of my commute, both running and riding, so it would be difficult to say it was necessarily training.

That's the refund policy on the Bottom of the ta membership page.

Refund Policy

Triathlon Australia Membership fees once paid and processed, are not refundable other than in exceptional circumstances. Applications for refund must be made in writing to the relevant STTA Executive Officer, setting out the exceptional circumstances claimed. All applications will be considered by the Executive Officer on a case-by-case basis and the Executive Officer’s decision on each case will be final. General injury from triathlon training and racing is not considered exceptional circumstances. Refund of membership fees will incur an administrative fee of $20.00 (inclusive GST), which will be deducted before membership fees are refunded.

As well as a 6% Active fee! [emoji14]

I got 3 emails about auto-renew (TA, state and club), and how my membership was about to expire.

I went in and turned my auto-renew off as I am only doing one tri in the upcoming FY and didn't think it was worth it.

Worked well for me - but then it seems I might be in the minority!

If I decide to join again, (probably 2016/17) I will look around for a different club. Not that I "don't like" my club, but I don't get anything from a club membership, so may as well join the cheapest I can find that gets me the TA club membership discount.

Club Croc is damn cheap! $40 last year. Haven't paid this year's yet.

Geez, I thought we were cheap!

We only have one club up in Darwin, and to be a member you have to be a member of NT and Aus. 3 lots in one go!

Shameless plug notwithstanding.......

Say I don't want to bother joining TA, so I join your new club for $15. Whats in it for me?

(I got a bit lost with your original thread and all the details).

If you don't want to join TA and live nowhere near us, probably not a lot physically in terms of group though you would get to see training sessions each week and get some banter in our closed Facebook area.

If you join TA, we also save you money. We have already put a fair bit of coin back into the community when you compare our prices vs most others which is sensational and had a lot of positive vibe in Shire tri circles for that already.

If you live local its full service and basically the people running our sessions are competitive triathletes that actually do race and have buckets of experience both race wise and education wise.

If you don't want to join TA and live nowhere near us, probably not a lot physically in terms of group though you would get to see training sessions each week and get some banter in our closed Facebook area.

If you join TA, we also save you money. We have already put a fair bit of coin back into the community when you compare our prices vs most others which is sensational and had a lot of positive vibe in Shire tri circles for that already.

If you live local its full service and basically the people running our sessions are competitive triathletes that actually do race and have buckets of experience both race wise and education wise.

Cheers.

Ill keep it in mind if i change my mind about TA

We only have one club up in Darwin, and to be a member you have to be a member of NT and Aus. 3 lots in one go!

How come there's no long course in Darwin this year? Couldn't make it last year, but was keen this year!

Edited by zed

I did my renewal manually this morning because the CC has a new expiry date, no particular problems.

master tortoise went to do his and every box told him that he'd already done this selection and then it chucked him out. We used to be a family membership but not for the last four years that I'm aware of. TriNSW are trying to sort it.

And the reason why we chucked out auto renewal when we were in control of our own memberships has now reared it's ugly head.

There is a database of members that joined our club for the 2014/15 season. When I want to check that database I have to enter the date parameters I want and download an excel file.

Now that we have started getting renewals for the new season I wanted to see who is a member for the new season. Nope. Can't do it. The only ones that come up are two that weren't members last year (ie new members). All the renewing members are still in last year's database, just with updated details.

This caused us huge headaches when trying to manage our database and we only had 160 members. I can't imagine the problems it's going to cause now with thousands of members over hundreds of clubs.

I have sent an email to TQ and they are forwarding it on to the relevant people to have a look at. It's turning into a bit of a clusterf%$k.

Not wanting to sound negative but basically you are offering mates to train with? From the point of view of the club directors/committee and the people acting in the role of coaches how are you protecting them from liability in the event of an accident at a formal training session?

Having been navigating our way through the process of becoming and running a new club in the last twelve months it all sounds a bit half-arsed to me. If you're not happy to discuss it on an open forum can you PM me as I think it's a great idea in principle and would like to know more.

Now that we have started getting renewals for the new season I wanted to see who is a member for the new season. Nope. Can't do it. The only ones that come up are two that weren't members last year (ie new members). All the renewing members are still in last year's database, just with updated details.

Run the report "member details" over the required date range to get all members and then sort by "renewal date". Renewed members will have 2016 dates. It shouldn't be that hard I know but it works.

Run the report "member details" over the required date range to get all members and then sort by "renewal date". Renewed members will have 2016 dates. It shouldn't be that hard I know but it works.

Tried that.

The only ones that come up in that report with a June 30, 2016 expiry date are the two new members.

And you're right. It shouldn't be that hard.

Edited by downesy68

Tried that.

The only ones that come up in that report with a June 30, 2016 expiry date are the two new members.

And you're right. It shouldn't be that hard.

Are you sure that the others have already renewed then? Have Active taken their dough or just put them in a queue for processing on 1/7?

Not wanting to sound negative but basically you are offering mates to train with? From the point of view of the club directors/committee and the people acting in the role of coaches how are you protecting them from liability in the event of an accident at a formal training session?

Having been navigating our way through the process of becoming and running a new club in the last twelve months it all sounds a bit half-arsed to me. If you're not happy to discuss it on an open forum can you PM me as I think it's a great idea in principle and would like to know more.

Whats the new club you've set up?