Cranky

Questions for a prospective coach

Ok. You all knew this thread was coming! !

So I'm looking for a coach.

I've never had a coach before so I don't really know what I'm doing. I guess it's kind of like interviewing them for a job. ??

I want a coach that is going to tailor a program specifically for me and I guess that means they will look at my Garmin data after sessions and make adjustments if need be, yeah?

What sort of things do I need to tell them about myself (other than my goals and why I need them) and what do I need to ask them?

I've had three coaches suggested to me so far, plus I'll have a chat to my club coach (although I think he's more short distance, but not sure), but if you think you've got a ripper coach that will be able to drop an hour off my 11:48 IM Port time with around an AVERAGE of a 12-14hr training week, then feel free to mention that too.

Edited by Cranky

TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH! i WAS JUST ABOUT TO LOGIN AS YOU AND START ONE MYSELF!

Or, to avoid getting in trouble, just start one about "What should Cranky look for in a Coach"

Question 1, how do you deal with excessive exuberance and excitement?

Answer 1: you give it direction and focus

• Like 1

Cranky - I think word of mouth (and there's no shortage of that on here!) still has to go a long way in determining the right coach for you. The difficulty with a lot of businesses as a whole nowadays is that they promise you the world but fail to deliver.Too often people tell you what you want to hear but can't back it up. For me narrowing the field down to a few people who have proven with others that they can do what they say is a good starting point and then I'd be chatting with those individuals to make sure you pick the right coach for you on a personal and professional level.

14 hours a week is heaps, depends if you want to enjoy the social aspect of training or you actually want to train ??

I'm uncoached but I'd imagine/expect that a coach would have a few questions for me before starting/accepting.

I see it as a bidirectional relationship, not a paid dictator. The coach has to want to coach you as much as you want to be coached if you are to reach your full potential.

I'd be looking for one that asks me a lot of questions.

TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH! i WAS JUST ABOUT TO LOGIN AS YOU AND START ONE MYSELF!

Or, to avoid getting in trouble, just start one about "What should Cranky look for in a Coach"

Lol! [emoji14]

Take a look at some of the Coaches interviews here - they were put together with group input into what sort of questions to ask prospective coaches.

In your situation, if you're finishing around the pointy end at sprints, ask those girls, they'll know.

Heck, look at who was on the podium in your AG in Port and Cairns.

That said, if you're generally happy with the Club Croc stuff, I can't see why The Croc couldn't get you where you need to go.

14 hours a week is heaps, depends if you want to enjoy the social aspect of training or you actually want to train ??

Training only. I don't have the time to be social.

or alternatively try Ben Greenfield

Ha ha ha.

Think you're funny, don't ya!! [emoji14]

Take a look at some of the Coaches interviews here - they were put together with group input into what sort of questions to ask prospective coaches.

In your situation, if you're finishing around the pointy end at sprints, ask those girls, they'll know.

Heck, look at who was on the podium in your AG in Port and Cairns.

That said, if you're generally happy with the Club Croc stuff, I can't see why The Croc couldn't get you where you need to go.

Yep. I'll have a chat to him. I just wasn't sure if there were such people as long distances coaches and short distance coaches

A good coach will know how to handle all distances. The best coach is not necessarily the ex elite athlete, but the person who has really thought through different learning and training styles and can adapt to the level of the athlete.

The things I would look for are:

Their attention to your goals, background and constraints during your initial discussion - good

The degree to which the program is for you, not just off the shelf - but don't be tricked by off the shelf format in providing the program to you, that's efficient. You want to know that the content is written around you.

The emotional dependence their athletes exhibit on the coach - bad, bordering on unhealthy in some squads

If you don't want the social stuff, be sure that the quality training isn't restricted to the group love in sessions - bad

Think about the balance you want in the relationship. If you've not been coached before, you need to learn what feedback to give, when and how. Work that out with the coach early for a successful relationship - good.

The first thing you need to do is ask some questions of yourself. This will help you find the coach that is the best fit.

Do you want a collaborator or a dictator?

Do you want to train in groups mainly or Han Solo mostly

Will online/phone work for you, or do you need that face to face interaction

Will you pull the brakes on when required or will you need them to

Do you want to be fed fish, or eventually are you hoping to learn to fish as part of the journey

Is it just the actual swim/bike/run you want them working on, or do you want a more holistic approach, diet, mindset etc

Knowing the answers to these sorts of questions will help you pick a coach. You could pick the best coach in the world, but if you're a face to face type person, and they live half a country away it might not work for you.

Hope that helps

I'm uncoached but I'd imagine/expect that a coach would have a few questions for me before starting/accepting.

I see it as a bidirectional relationship, not a paid dictator. The coach has to want to coach you as much as you want to be coached if you are to reach your full potential.

I'd be looking for one that asks me a lot of questions.

There's a lot of wisdom in this post :smartarse:

Talk to coaches, you'll know in a 15min chat if the coach is right for you and if you are right for him to work with - you'll already know who has a reputation for getting others to the goals which you desire - then it's about seeing if you fit that model of coaching

There are many right ways - and many wrong ways to achieve what your goals are - you have to just go along casually to a few sessions to see if you fit the way the coach offers - keep in mind - good coaches don't change their personal style of coaching to suit athletes - good coaches are already confident enough in what they do to know that if the athlete doesn't fit in - they're never going to fit in :smile1:

• Like 1

Cranky,

Turducken's post is excellent........you need to know what sort of person you are so that then you can pick the coach for you. Being able to feel that you can communicate freely with your coach is crucial and is far more important than the sets that are provided. Any decent coach is going to spend a fair bit of time trying to get to know you, what makes you tick ,motivates you and so on. You can speed that process up by being totally honest, the more honest you the faster you get down to brass tacks.

If you can find a coach locally that you can work with ALWAYS take that over online or correspondence. That face to face help, small technique suggestions regularly, feedback that just organically happens within training sessions is massive and is often more important than what data can provide. Couple this with surrounding yourself in a great training environment and that will often give you the extra little push.

I think if I was aiming for Kona I would go to the coach with the runs on the board, love him or hate him Brett Sutton probably would be my choice or one of his fellow coaches. Have a look at his website trisutto.com - he does plans and online coaching. If you are not interested in the club side of things then online may be the way to go.

And you need to be harsh/honest internally - will you be willing to listen and change?

If the coach tells you something and you don't like it, will you try to understand why and follow the advice? Or will you go all ninja like and secretly get up at 2 to get in a bit of extra, or different?

The first thing you need to do is ask some questions of yourself. This will help you find the coach that is the best fit.

1. Do you want a collaborator or a dictator?

2. Do you want to train in groups mainly or Han Solo mostly

3. Will online/phone work for you, or do you need that face to face interaction

4. Will you pull the brakes on when required or will you need them to

5. Do you want to be fed fish, or eventually are you hoping to learn to fish as part of the journey

6. Is it just the actual swim/bike/run you want them working on, or do you want a more holistic approach, diet, mindset etc

Knowing the answers to these sorts of questions will help you pick a coach. You could pick the best coach in the world, but if you're a face to face type person, and they live half a country away it might not work for you.

Hope that helps

Thanks. Good questions.

1. Dictator

2. Solo

3. Not sure about this one. Do to my time constraints, phone/email will probably be best

4. Nope. They will need to do that

5. Not sure at this point

6. Primarily just the swim/bike/run, but I guess the other stuff wouldn't hurt. I think I'm relatively healthy but could do with some fresh ideas I suppose.

I am going to throw it out there - you are uncoachable at the moment...

I suspect the coach will have many more questions for you... and I have known several coaches who have said "thanks but no thanks".

You don't want the coach that you interview and they answer your questions.....................

Edited by Steno

- you are uncoachable

I'm selectively quoting, and channeling Cranky's response.......

:ranting::crybaby::confused1::censored::sadangel:

I am going to throw it out there - you are uncoachable at the moment...

I suspect the coach will have many more questions for you... and I have known several coaches who have said "thanks but no thanks".

You don't want the coach that you interview and they answer your questions.....................

That's a bit harsh. Whatever.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Cranky

Remember that cranky hasn't got the $$&$ to pay Brett Sutton or most other coaches that are available through here

She also needs very good support through PH and email/text

And wants or needs to train alone

There are people out there that do this as for them a lot of the satisfaction comes from getter someone like cranky right mentally as we'll as

Physically

If a Q for kona was just about doing X amount of run/swim/bike then everyone could do it

It's not that easy and everyone is different and everyone needs a different pakadge to get them

There

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

On what basis do you conclude that cranky is uncoachable? As much as it pains me to say AP makes sense in his post above.

There are some excellent coaches who I would clash with, I would not get what I want and they would sensibly not want to coach me.

And then there is how much are you willing to pay. I spent a few years thinking coaches at 200 per month were having a laugh (some of them are). But then I thought I don't pay the dentist or doctor bargain basement fees. 6 months with the person I chose and I am happy, results are good, hours are good, coach is not a prick and I can see a real clear path to my objective.

He is from school of sutton, Joe Filliol. Anyhow get out talk to some, talk to their athletes and you work out quickly if they would be a fit for you and vice versa.

I ran a mile from the bloke who charged his guys big fees and told one guy just do what one of the other guys is doing when thier needs, context and goals were different.

Anyhow get out talk to some, talk to their athletes and you work out quickly if they would be a fit for you and vice versa.

I ran a mile from the bloke who charged his guys big fees and told one guy just do what one of the other guys is doing when thier needs, context and goals were different.

This

Cheers

Ivp

Ok. You all knew this thread was coming! !

So I'm looking for a coach.

I've never had a coach before so I don't really know what I'm doing. I guess it's kind of like interviewing them for a job. ??

I want a coach that is going to tailor a program specifically for me and I guess that means they will look at my Garmin data after sessions and make adjustments if need be, yeah?

What sort of things do I need to tell them about myself (other than my goals and why I need them) and what do I need to ask them?

I've had three coaches suggested to me so far, plus I'll have a chat to my club coach (although I think he's more short distance, but not sure), but if you think you've got a ripper coach that will be able to drop an hour off my 11:48 IM Port time with around an AVERAGE of a 12-14hr training week, then feel free to mention that too.

I just like how you've gone from:

A) Port will be my only Ironman

to

B) only 70.3's from here on in

to

C) maybe I might do one in the future

to

D) I think my hubby might let me do another Ironman

t0

E) OK, I've signed-up for Cairns, and a need a new bike, and I need a new coach, and and and, I want to go faster and and how do I knock an hour off my time ....

:smile1:

Not sure how Cranky can be "uncoachable"?Obviously has drive and desire to achieve her goals which seem realistic. She is always open to people's suggestions and ideas which is how she has ended up at this point. What's uncoachable about that?

I just like how you've gone from:

A) Port will be my only Ironman

to

B) only 70.3's from here on in

to

C) maybe I might do one in the future

to

D) I think my hubby might let me do another Ironman

t0

E) OK, I've signed-up for Cairns, and a need a new bike, and I need a new coach, and and and, I want to go faster and and how do I knock an hour off my time ....

:smile1:

You missed the whole bit about deciding to KQ, and the thread and a half about new wheels (hyped up by some to be the way to buy that extra hour in order to KQ).

And all in the space of a month?

Edited by The Turtle

You missed the whole bit about deciding to KQ, and the thread and a half about new wheels (hyped up by some to be the way to buy that extra hour in order to KQ).

I think I have some firm of HTD (hyperactive triathlon disorder).

[emoji23]

Uncoachable? Here I am.

Edited by goughy

plus I'll have a chat to my club coach (although I think he's more short distance, but not sure),

If you're in the club I'm thinking of, and if your club coach is who I'm thinking of..... Buck stops here! I'd be shocked if he was short specific, and as one of the greatest triathletes ever you should be giving him a go first!

In fact, if my assumptions are right, I can't believe you started this thread having not already given him a go!

I think I have some firm of HTD (hyperactive triathlon disorder).

[emoji23]

don't we all!

But yours might be combined with AADHD (adult ADHD) :taz:

better that she be miserable and start a thread about how she'll never qualify. No one seriously suggested that wheels would give an hour. Having observed the port performance a number of folk believed it could be done, wheels a little bit and coaching and focus the bulk of the time.

Edited by BarryBevan
  • Like 1

don't we all!

But yours might be combined with AADHD (adult ADHD) :taz:

She's got the hyperfocus of ADHD, but I don't know if she's got the distraction level that comes with

Hey look, a squirrel!

better that she be miserable and start a thread about how she'll never qualify. No one seriously suggested that wheels would give an hour. Having observed the port performance a number of folk believed it could be done, wheels a little bit and coaching and focus the bulk of the time.

sorry, was tongue in cheek.

$$ on a good bike fit was also tossed around as being important for bike time and run benefits.

• Like 2

We could help you in regards to time efficient training....we have developed an Ironman plan based around 12 hrs per week and it resulted in a 9 hour time...so we can definitely take an hour off your time. Call me if you are interested: 0411 30 30 92

If you have access to Brad Beven then that's not a bad place to start - one of the greatest triathletes of all time (IMO).

Also, are you sure that 12-14hrs per week as an average is realistic? That's is a big time commitment and impact on your family potentially. Just make sure the time that you think you can invest is realistic, otherwise you're going to struggle to complete the program that's written for you on a consistent basis.....

If you have access to Brad Beven then that's not a bad place to start - one of the greatest triathletes of all time (IMO).

Also, are you sure that 12-14hrs per week as an average is realistic? That's is a big time commitment and impact on your family potentially. Just make sure the time that you think you can invest is realistic, otherwise you're going to struggle to complete the program that's written for you on a consistent basis.....

Well I guess it depends how long the program goes for. I averaged 12 hours when I was training for Port and that was over 34 weeks. I figured I'd be able to throw in an extra couple of hours considering what was at stake.... so long as it wasn't for 12 months! !

I just figured the next program would probably be about the same length. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess that is something I would talk to the coach about. Of course I would continue my own training between now and when the official program started but maybe I have it all wrong and the program would start now.?? Actually now that I've said it out loud that makes more sense. why would they just come in at the end?

Edited by Cranky

I train under my coaches direction year round. Not necessarily always building for a race though. He just keeps me doing what I need to do. This means the actual race build is a lot shorter as you're maintaining a base fitness.

• Like 1

I train under my coaches direction year round. Not necessarily always building for a race though. He just keeps me doing what I need to do. This means the actual race build is a lot shorter as you're maintaining a base fitness.

Makes sense.

I'll have a chat to Brad (Bevan), as he is my club coach, first. Don't know why I didn't think of that before I started this thread. .. Welcome to my messy head ... way too much going on in it at once to think clearly! !

I don't know a lot about his training as I only train with the club a few times a year due to my hours of availability. I know he does online stuff, so that would suit me, but I was always under the impression he did sprint/OD coaching.

We could help you in regards to time efficient training....we have developed an Ironman plan based around 12 hrs per week and it resulted in a 9 hour time...so we can definitely take an hour off your time. Call me if you are interested: 0411 30 30 92

Gee thanks mr maruo for you very informative and helpfull input into crankys questions

She wasn't after an advert for coaching , well not from the person themselves anyways

So you are garrenteeing everyone will do 9hr ironman times on your 12 hr plan , sounds good where do I sign up ?

If that's not the case then don't come on here with aload of crap post like that above

If that is the case then please carry on with your amazing work and accept my apology :-)

Cheers

Ivp

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 1