Sign in to follow this  
Joostoz

Cairns triathlete dies

is that number 3 or 4 at WTC events in the last 12 months? not a good year for them. 1 at Sunny Coast, 1 at busso 70.3?? and cairns 70.3

We Never seem to hear of the cause/out come of it.

Another is the kid who died at the Hell of the West last year.

Are all these deaths hereditary? Did they drink 4 cans of redbull?

We Never seem to hear of the cause/out come of it.

I can tell you why, they never talk to the competitor after the event.

A friend of mine who is super dooper fit, who was fully trained up and prepared, was pulled out of the water at the Canberra 70.3 and the Melbourne IM. She was taken to hospital at the Melbourne IM, turned out to be heart related, but not a long term illness or anything. It was swimming induced pulmonary edema. She felt like she could not breathe, but had not breathed in any water.

She was eventually cleared. She did the 70.3 in Western Sydney in November (and has qualified for worlds) and did the IM in Melbourne in March.

In all of this, WTC did not pay her a visit, or even call to check up. As an event volunteer (and committee member) if anyone ended up with medical at any of my races I would be checking what the cause was :)

Salt water aspiration syndrome, it's well known among scuba divers. Usually a spray of salt water through the breathing regulator causes fluid or pulmonary oedema in the lungs. Divers feel lethargic short of breath have a cough symptoms usually mild and self limiting. Thought to be cause of death of a number of divers

The local paper is reporting that her husband was informed by doctors that the casue of her passing was likely an anuerysm, not the result of a swimming incident.

Edited by skel

Salt water aspiration syndrome, it's well known among scuba divers. Usually a spray of salt water through the breathing regulator causes fluid or pulmonary oedema in the lungs. Divers feel lethargic short of breath have a cough symptoms usually mild and self limiting. Thought to be cause of death of a number of divers

Sounds the same as the secondary drowning that lifeguards often talk about. But getting saltwater into your lungs, you can be fine for hours then your lungs fill with fluid.

Sounds the same as the secondary drowning that lifeguards often talk about. But getting saltwater into your lungs, you can be fine for hours then your lungs fill with fluid.

I'll try and give a quick explanation in basic terms of why this happens. When you aspirate salt water into your lungs, you may only aspirate a small amount which does not seem significant and does not initially show symptoms. However, in the hours to come the body recognises the presence of sodium (salt) in your lungs and tries to neutralise it by bring intravascular fluid from your body across into your lungs and subsequently increases the amount of fluid in your lungs. There is more complex workings to it but that's an idea of why they can be fine and then not hours later.